Harvey Norman Holdings

Be The First To
Add Photos

Katie Page

Department Manager

ProsBig company many perks and cool suppliers

ConsDont feel comfortable disclosing at this time

Harvey Norman Chadstone - Delusions of Adequacy

Chadstone (Australia)

ProsSome great staff in lower positions, and some key management areas, that work hard and treat people like actual people. Have made some great friends through working here, and learned some great skills.

ConsOverall pathetic management from select franchisees and management, with little respect for employees. Even adult staff are often treated as children, with little respect given, or acknowledgement for good work done.
    Everyone is treated as though they are disposable, and must follow ridiculous mandates, with the threat of being fired on the spot, reinforced by statements like - I even don't care if I have to pay improper dismissal costs.
    Spivs/bonuses are not always paid as owed/promised, and are often taken by upper management to use for themselves.
    Workplace rules and regulations are constantly flaunted, works hours and lunch breaks and definitely not up to standards, with requirements for early starts without pay to "setup" and have "meetings" before the store opens, unpaid stock take, 12 hour shifts with only a single hour break which you cannot have with any other staff..
    Deceptive and unethical sales practices do not exist here, and no proper training is provided to correct this, and has become a part of standard practice.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour staff are your foot soldiers, they are the ones who represent your company, and interact with your customers. Without them you don't have a company, give them a little more respect. These stores will not succeed without them, and online sales will take over sooner.

A really big family company - with all the best and worst dynamics of a family company

IT Role (Former Employee)
    Sydney, NS (Canada)

ProsMore lines of business than most people are aware of - possibility for good variety of work.
    Willing to give good ideas a go.
    Outside of stores, work-life balance is usually acceptable.
    Access to good discounts and offers.

ConsInternal politics can be treacherous. Combination of "kinship relationships" and "freemason" style: if you are a part of my "family" (actual family or people who have worked in a store or other role together for a while) then I will back you to the hilt, if you're not and someone in my family doesn't like you, then I'll help them take you down, even to the cost of the company.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Harvey Norman Chadstone - worst place to work...

Sales Executive (Former Employee)
    Chadstone (Australia)

ProsGet to play with new technology.

ConsVery poor and abusive managment.
    Very low pay.
    Only way to really make money is to take advantage of people, which managment has no issues with.
    Lack of training.
    Dead end job.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn some people skills and stop treating your employees like they are garbage. Motivation with negativity is not smart way of manage, a happy employee is a productive employee!!!

Gradual decline with change occurring but not for the better, especially for the staff.

Fountain Gate (Australia)

ProsEvery team I worked with was great. Very good opportunity to develop strong communication skills.

ConsWith the retail market turning bad, the companies management style has turned into blame with a focus on negativity.
    Pay decreased significantly with constant sales that impacted commission.
    Career advancement not a viable option with the business losing money. Salespeople regularity make more than the proprietors.
    Pay questionable as on many occasions correct commission or penalty rates are not paid properly.
    Experience changes depending on the proprietor you are working for. Proprietors also have the power to set their own cost prices and commissions, which impacts commission.

Advice to Senior ManagementBusiness model must change. Proprietor model hurts the staff, which creates a negative environment that affects customers.
    The variability between different stores because of the power of a proprietor also hurts the company.
    Pricing must be in line with other retailers like JB Hifi. And staff must be looked after in regards to their wages.

Dead end job

Melbourne (Australia)

ProsThis company rewards its employees based on the amount of profit generated by the employee. Which means, if you work hard, you get rewarded more.

ConsThere are not much career advancement working for this company. Low basic pay.

As a Purchaser

Purchaser (Current Employee)
    Damansara (Malaysia)

Prosrebuild my career's in Furniture field

Consgood performance company in another year...

Excellent opportunities to progress from the bottom up. Hard work is rewarded

Wellington (New Zealand)

ProsGreat Commission
    Interesting products
    Good team
    Fun events

ConsOn feet all day
    Customers can be a pain
    Incentives can lead to some sales people misleading customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementRegular feedback on what the vision is of the company and the direction of the employees

Good team, bad money

ProsGood team
    Good people
    Good products
    Low Stress
    Fair targets

ConsTerrible pay
    No perks/benefits
    Sales staff are bottom of the rung, despite bringing in all the money for the company

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making excuses about not being able to pay more, then spending millions on advertising the next week.

Awful

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFranchisee are treated well. It work environment is bad

ConsPeople and culture. are not good

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the culture

Worked for Harvey Norman Holdings? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Harvey Norman Holdings reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Harvey Norman Holdings CEO Katie Page. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Harvey Norman Holdings employees.