Hasbro

Updated January 30, 2015
3.6

Hasbro President and Chief Executive Officer Brian Goldner
Brian Goldner

Pros
  • I liked the half day Fridays, the toy store and the week off at Christmas (in 23 reviews)

• Early release on Fridays year round (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • People stay in the company for many years resulting in very old senior management (in 7 reviews)

• Employees who do the work have little to no value on projects they take on in management's eyes (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

61 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Highly recommended employer! Fun and games, community service, group events, and of course HALF DAY FRIDAYS!

Current Employee - Co-Op in Pawtucket, RI
    Current Employee - Co-Op in Pawtucket, RI

I have been working at Hasbro as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Half day Fridays every week of the year.
    Many paid holidays (and surrounding days).
    Fun and exciting work environment.
    Discounted toys and games in the Employee Store.
    Highly devoted staff.
    Lots of community engagement, service, and philanthropy.
    High degree of transparency.

Cons

Large global organization, communication between business units is sometimes difficult.
    Pawtucket is not the best place to live, and commuting is not easy.

Pays well, good benefits but highly political

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pawtucket, RI

I have been working at Hasbro full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Hasbro has great product. it is a socially responsible company which gives back to the community and encourages employees to do the same, summer hours all year long, good pay and bonuses

Cons

The company is highly political and often more focus it given to what management wants as opposed to the consumer. Upper management can get way to involved in details.

Give more autonomy and responsibility to your mid level managers.

must lose memory to continue frenetic pace

Former Employee - Digital Marketing in Pawtucket, RI
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing in Pawtucket, RI

I worked at Hasbro

Pros

fresh perspectives, wonderful Friday benefits, challenging work environment to learn quickly, fast pace, & half price toy store on site. Never bored, iconic brands.

Cons

every Monday was a new week, including new priorities and no traction for previous tasks worked on prior. It was a little like 30 first dates. Very difficult to work any harder than the hardest ever possible. Too much work, too few people and the ever present penny wise pound foolish waste of valuable resources take a toll. Promotions from within are very few and should not be expected.

Appreciate your employees. Set realistic expectations. promote from within. And care about something for more than 4 days.

Creative people in a hierarchical place

Former Employee - Marketing in Pawtucket, RI
    Former Employee - Marketing in Pawtucket, RI

I worked at Hasbro (less than a year)

Pros

Innovative designers; some really great people; good salary; flexible with time

Cons

No retained departmental knowledge of how internal workflows operate makes it very difficult for new employees to effectively do their jobs. This wouldn't be a problem if one could innovate new procedures, but this is not possible in a very large and established manufacturer that is not very agile. Very hierarchical which makes hiring entrepreneurial minded employees a mis-match. Also, too many contractors--kills morale.

Make the systems obvious by hiring managers who's job it is to manage these workflows. In other words, you need to rehire the middle management that was let go.

Great experience, too much red tape!

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Pawtucket, RI
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Pawtucket, RI

I have been working at Hasbro full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work with some of the industry's best professionals, who are super talented and work hard

Cons

Expectations are set high and sometimes almost unattainable. Atmosphere from senior management makes it unbearable, most people are not happy with their management.

Work on creating a better environment to work in to help keep employees satisfied and at the company. There are too many great employees leaving for jobs at other companies

Work hard and play hard... at work!

Former Employee - Project Engineering Co-Op in Pawtucket, RI
    Former Employee - Project Engineering Co-Op in Pawtucket, RI

I worked at Hasbro as an intern

Pros

Amazingly helpful people everywhere you turn! There is always work to be done and lots of flexibility in the projects you can take on. Constantly working with cross-functional team members at all stages of the product development cycle.

Cons

Requires more communication skills than technical skills to thrive. Always ask or initiate questions; some parts may not be given to you directly.

Great experience... culture really itself to work/life balance

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Pawtucket, RI
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Pawtucket, RI

I have been working at Hasbro as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The people I have encountered have been great. The product lines are also driven by fun. I have worked for brands that just don't inspire. Hasbro products do. On top of that, the company believes in giving back and empowering employees to make a difference.

Cons

They only hire the best of the best and getting in the door can be a challenge.

Balance out some of the MBA 's with more people that know how to get things done.

Fun but frustrating

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pawtucket, RI

I have been working at Hasbro full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love getting to work on brands that I grew up with as a kid. The people are great and the culture is pretty fun and casual. Depending on which group you work for, lots of opportunities for self-starters. Half day Fridays year round and free toys are a nice perk.

Cons

HR is extremely disconnected. Brand/role rotations are difficult to orchestrate as internal politics can be challenging to navigate. Lots of bureacracy, top-down decisionmaking, and a large organization make moving forward and innovating very difficult. Pay is on the lower side and training is extremely spotty to non-existent. Hours can be very long and working nights/weekends is often the expectation.

There are lots of very smart and creative people at the company whose ideas too often go unheard. Figure out a way to foster innovation for big initiatives instead of stifling them with excessive management oversight.

Fun job

Former Employee - Market Research in Pawtucket, RI
    Former Employee - Market Research in Pawtucket, RI

I worked at Hasbro full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I liked the half day Fridays, the toy store and the week off at Christmas. The job wasn't very hard.

Cons

The worst part was office politics and rivalries. I walked right into something I didn't understand, and it took me a while to be comfortable there. Difficult personalities.

It would be nice to know what is expected of you. I felt like I had to guess.

Great experience

Current Employee - Rapid Prototyping Coop in Pawtucket, RI
    Current Employee - Rapid Prototyping Coop in Pawtucket, RI

I have been working at Hasbro as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Hasbro was very fast with the hiring process and taught me a lot as a coop. I came in at the end of my 2nd year in college so I acquired a great deal of knowledge.

Cons

Non applicable. Management was great and my team was awesome. I don't think I've ever even seen someone get mad at another employee in this department. Very impressive and positive work environment.

Pay your coops a little more. We do the same amount of work and same tasks as full time employees who have been here from a range of 1- 30 years yet we barely make any money.