Hasbro

Be The First To
Add Photos

Hasbro President and Chief Executive Officer Brian Goldner

Brian Goldner

Pros
  • They have a work week that is half day Fridays and the hours are made up Monday-Thursday (in 21 reviews)

• Many different brands to work on (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Employees who do the work have little to no value on projects they take on in management's eyes (in 4 reviews)

• Hasbro is more reactionary than innovative due to the conservative senior management team (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

You qork on cool stuff but don't expect to be paid well

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pawtucket, RI

ProsYou work with toys all day.

ConsPay for all departments is way below regional averages. Hasbro is more reactionary than innovative due to the conservative senior management team.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo attract and keep the most talented individuals Hasbro needs to pay more. Being located in Pawtucket RI is no excuse to pay poorly but that's the HR speak that will be repeated to you over and over again. Most long term employees are embedded and from that area and therefore do not have options. Hasbro clearly takes advantage of this. Hasbro wants a team of low paid worker bees, and clearly not a well paid staff of talented and innovative minds. The members of the senior management staff are the only well paid employees at Hasbro.

At Hasbro you become an expert at many things and a specialist at nothing. No clear career path.

Art Director (Current Employee) Pawtucket, RI

ProsThere are many areas for a creative to move and all, are very interesting as interns and entry level you get LOTS of responsibility which is great.

ConsThere are many areas for a creative to move unfortunately it is laterally but I must say I loved my job and I never bored. Just wish the career path was there HR really doesn't help nor managers. They are ineffective because their hands are tied.Creative hit a glass ceiling at art director.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on career paths for creatives and mentoring from managers, It seems at Hasbro everybody is reinventing the wheel. Very inefficient I think that is why people of worth get frustrated and leave. To bad the people / workers are great!

Challenging work and great people to work with.

Director (Current Employee) Pawtucket, RI

ProsPeople, teamwork, collaboration, cool products, ability to make an impact, always new challenges, changing environment

ConsLack of technology, decisions are made slowly, too much focus on face-time and the RI office

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is filled with bright, innovative and passionate individuals - enable them! Be open to work/life integration. Investing in technology and allowing additional work location flexibility would be very motivating to employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An outstanding, and holistic perspective of the toy and copywriting industry

Brand Writing Intern (Former Employee) Providence, RI

ProsExciting industry, room for creativity, always a fun project going on

ConsSlow day to day responsibilities, needed to be pro active in order to stay busy

Bias Management

Product Designer (Former Employee) Pawtucket, RI

ProsGreat hours, great benefits, competitive salary, fun products to deal with and work around. Product discounts at the company store and online. Fun parties and events. Moderate opportunity for advancement if you get in the right job and prove yourself with the right people. Friendly co-workers and a beautiful building.

ConsGood ole boy system in my department and an attitude of superiority that is just over done. Lot's of bad blood from years of acquisitions and layoffs. Not a great deal of loyalty. Only the top people make decisions on anything (and on everything). Employees who do the work have little to no value on projects they take on in management's eyes. Unless you are a VP you will feel like you have no say in anything including the color of a product you might be working on.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove the spotlight around and listen to your people. Get rid of certain managers who are unable to perform due to bias and jerk store syndrome. Stop pretending to know everything on the detailed level and stick to the big picture. Let the intelligent and talented people you hired give you their expert opinion and assume they might be right because when you change something it really destroys a lot of hard work and usually makes no sense.

Hasbro was once a great company, but they lost their way.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) East Longmeadow, MA

ProsIt used to be a family of people working together to make great, safe products, at a profit. Like any other business it had its deadlines and stresses, but it was all for a good reason.

ConsPeople who thought they knew the business better than those who had succeeded for years tried to make it fit a different model. Once the new experts tried one reorganization after another, all the money for proper development was depleted.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop moving things around and let the experts do what they do best.

It was a fun place to work before senior management got in the way

Design (Former Employee) East Longmeadow, MA

ProsEast Longmeadow site had a great group of coworkers - like a family
    Benefits and pay were OK to good depending on the job/department
    Creative professionals are very talented
    Half day Friays (at the expense of long days Mon-Thurs)
    Made great product

ConsDiminishing respect for your job or location from the corporate headquarters
    Profits from your site seemed to be spent on art and improvements for the headquarters while your site fell apart
    Massive layoffs loomed over everyone several times a year despite a profitable year for your business group
    Upper management does not care if you are an exceptional employee with the highest reviews and raises: you are cut loose when you are over age 40 and deemed redundant or plateau-ing in your job
    Great opportunities and obvious next great product ideas are ignored because middle aged men in decision making positions cannot imagine what a little girl would like to play with and ignore the women experts that were hired to develop this area

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are many good managers. But the senior managers get in their own way with micro- managing away on shelf schedules. Projects get delayed anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks waiting for manangement to approve something or provide feedback.
     The games industry was profitable despite a cutback of product by over 50 percent of previous years offerings. But the plans to move the Games division were already in place. People who know nothing about games are now managing the business of games. These men were probably told to fire half the work force and save money to finance the move of the games division to Rhode Island. But they should have actually listened to the advice the experts in the field and maybe they'd have made more money in the end.
     If something works well, find out why and keep the good parts of that business process intact. If a business unit has a good reputation for working well and having great scheduling, budgeting, quality and creative product record, why do you break it apart and follow a model that does not work well? Example: Why do games have to be all boy or girl like a toy? That segments the product and eliminates half the market.
     Killing off profitable products (millions of dollars per year) because you cannot understand why it is fun or because it competes with another toy you have personal ties to, maybe means you should not be in charge.
     And when the staff that is there to help support you during these tough changes even when they know their days are numbered says good morning or good night, show some decency and respond in kind.
    Respect and Trust your staff. Support each other. Your reports look to you to guide them, not intimidate and diminish.

A company in flux

Pros1/2 day Fridays, free or discounted toys

ConsLeadership is in flux, hopefully for the best

Home of the crazies

Finance (Former Employee) Pawtucket, RI

ProsHalf Day Fridays
    Discounts on Toys
    Local company
    Community Ties

ConsMy supervisor was decent enough, but his boss was bipolar. One day everything would be fine, the next day the same exact thing would get you in trouble and yelled at. She used him as her work punching bag until he left, then she started in on us. I felt like I was walking on eggshells; it was hard to get up and go to work there in the morning. Other people knew about her tendencies but nothing got done about it. After the layoffs everyone was tense.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because people work there for decades doesn't mean they are good for the company.

Corporate Office in Pawtucket RI

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pawtucket, RI

ProsDiscount on Toys
    Early release on Fridays year round
    Good group of people to work with.

ConsMiddle management needs to listen to the lower level employees.

Worked for Hasbro? Contribute to the Community!