Haselden Construction Reviews

Reset
2.8
Ed J. Haselden

1. Employee

Pros

The leadership strongly believes in the employees and empowers them to make decisions. They are truly focused on creating a great place to work for all employees. The culture is inclusive and great.

Cons

Some of the geographic distances make it harder for employees in more remote areas to feel connected to the main office and Denver metro area. But the leadership recognizes this and is trying to improve it.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the people and the employees.

2. Seems great in the begining.....but

Current Employee - Project Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

Work with great people. They occasionally get interesting projects. Have seen many exceptionally talented people come and go.

Cons

Definitely a family run company. They have 8-15 of there "favorites" in senior positions regardless of education, experience, and talent level. So, don't expect much in the way of meaningful advancement. Bonuses and benefits are also lacking. Projects are constantly under staffed with much of the burden being placed on junior people without much reward. A quiet expectation that you should work 60+ hours a week for the company so, not much in the way of work life balance. Also, compared to other general contractors safety is NOT a culture here. Have worked here for 5 years never received any outside professional training. It was always "train the trainer" stuff. Operation teams are constantly shorted in favor of pre-construction because, they can bury money there.

Advice to Management

Quit constantly under staffing projects. Promote the educated and talented people from within. Listen when outside ideas are presented. Believe and pay for outside professional development for junior people all the way to your senior people. More emphasis should be placed on safety.

Haselden Construction Response

Aug 27, 2015 – Director of Talent Development

Thank you so much for your review and feedback. We definitely take your concerns seriously and are constantly evaluating ourselves and working towards becoming an employer of choice. You mentioned ... More

Overall good work experience, benefits and bonuses lacking

Current Employee - Superintendent in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Superintendent in Denver, CO

I have been working at Haselden Construction full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people you work with our great. The type of work they get is usually unique.

Cons

Still lacking cement processes. The self perform areas are in need of help. Way too much overhead.

Advice to Management

Bonsues, Self Perform Improvements, Too much overhead.

5. cleaner

Pros

compensation, time off, vacation, im bored

Cons

alot, im bored, compensation, work life

Advice to Management

value customers

Safety last - just another old school contractor with bad habits

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Haselden Construction full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compensation was ok. Definitely not competitive. Location was good but varies with the project

Cons

Where to begin...The first thing that comes to mind is the utter disregard for safety. Senior superintendent and field supervision continuously would not follow basic safety rules posted. Would not enforce it either, even pointed out or reminded to them on a daily basis. Major safety violations such as working under a suspended load, when pointed out to upper management, were met with the response, "sometimes you need to balance safety and productivity." This was often the response received to most safety issues. No wonder the companies EMR is a 4.something. We also had a temporary gas header and flexible hose throughout the building to temporary heaters. I had mentioned a few times that I smelled gas around this header but that was ignored of course. I once saw some guys changing a fitting on this temporary system and asked the guys who was a plumber. None of them were and they didn't know much other then how to thread on a fitting. They were using white PTFE tape on the gas line and when I mentioned that wasn't the correct PTFE tape for gas they just said that was what they were given by the superintendent. None of them knew any better and the issue was never resolved. The last safety issue ignored I will touch on was carbon monoxide monitors going off in the below grade parking structure where employees were working, their response? Remove the carbon monoxide monitors! Next con is the lack of direction for new employees. Their method of direction was "follow this foreman around for the first day and from then on you are on your own". I would often come in to work wondering what I would do that day and end up attempting to fix blatant safety or environmental violations. Speaking of environmental violations I was often directed to cover up concrete spills or concrete wash out spills. I wasn't directed to report it, as should have been the case. All they do is pencil whip and direct others to do the same. If there was a problem on site such as something missed, guess who was to blame? The new guy. Not the general foreman, not the foreman or the guys doing the work. All of them constantly looked at the drawings and constantly missed stuff. I have never seen so much rework in a company before. Do yourself a favor and get yourself better experience somewhere else. You don't want to pick up any of this companies bad habits!

Advice to Management

Walk the talk and ensure your field supervision does the same. All this company seems to care about is productivity and making a buck.

7. Worked as a project engineer based out of the corporate office.

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Centennial, CO

I have been working at Haselden Construction full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company has good systems in place and management staff is very strong. The total compensation package was competitive for the industry and the company provided an enjoyable work atmosphere.

Cons

Overall, the company was great to work for; the one recommendation would be to properly staff the project based on the size and complexity of the project.

RSS Feed </> Embed