Haselden Construction

Updated July 17, 2014
Updated July 17, 2014

2.7

Ed J. Haselden

Overall good work experience, benefits and bonuses lacking

Current Employee - Superintendent  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Superintendent in Denver, CO

Pros

The people you work with our great. The type of work they get is usually unique.

Cons

Still lacking cement processes. The self perform areas are in need of help. Way too much overhead.

Bonsues, Self Perform Improvements, Too much overhead.

cleaner

Pros

compensation, time off, vacation, im bored

Cons

alot, im bored, compensation, work life

value customers

Safety last - just another old school contractor with bad habits

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

Compensation was ok. Definitely not competitive. Location was good but varies with the project

Cons

Where to begin...The first thing that comes to mind is the utter disregard for safety. Senior superintendent and field supervision continuously would not follow basic safety rules posted. Would not enforce it either, even pointed out or reminded to them on a daily basis. Major safety violations such as working under a suspended load, when pointed out to upper management, were met with the response, "sometimes you need to balance safety and productivity." This was often the response received to most safety issues. No wonder the companies EMR is a 4.something. We also had a temporary gas header and flexible hose throughout the building to temporary heaters. I had mentioned a few times that I smelled gas around this header but that was ignored of course. I once saw some guys changing a fitting on this temporary system and asked the guys who was a plumber. None of them were and they didn't know much other then how to thread on a fitting. They were using white PTFE tape on the gas line and when I mentioned that wasn't the correct PTFE tape for gas they just said that was what they were given by the superintendent. None of them knew any better and the issue was never resolved. The last safety issue ignored I will touch on was carbon monoxide monitors going off in the below grade parking structure where employees were working, their response? Remove the carbon monoxide monitors!

Next con is the lack of direction for new employees. Their method of direction was "follow this foreman around for the first day and from then on you are on your own". I would often come in to work wondering what I would do that day and end up attempting to fix blatant safety or environmental violations.

Speaking of environmental violations I was often directed to cover up concrete spills or concrete wash out spills. I wasn't directed to report it, as should have been the case. All they do is pencil whip and direct others to do the same.

If there was a problem on site such as something missed, guess who was to blame? The new guy. Not the general foreman, not the foreman or the guys doing the work. All of them constantly looked at the drawings and constantly missed stuff. I have never seen so much rework in a company before.

Do yourself a favor and get yourself better experience somewhere else. You don't want to pick up any of this companies bad habits!

Walk the talk and ensure your field supervision does the same. All this company seems to care about is productivity and making a buck.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worked as a project engineer based out of the corporate office.

Current Employee - Project Engineer  in  Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Centennial, CO

Pros

Company has good systems in place and management staff is very strong. The total compensation package was competitive for the industry and the company provided an enjoyable work atmosphere.

Cons

Overall, the company was great to work for; the one recommendation would be to properly staff the project based on the size and complexity of the project.

Worked for Haselden Construction? Contribute to the Community!