Hastings Entertainment

Be The First To
Add Photos

Hastings Entertainment Chairman, President, and CEO John H. Marmaduke

John H. Marmaduke

Pros:
  • "The employee discount is fair especially on books, employees are great to work with"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Great co-workers, decent hours, fun enviroment"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper-management acts like they have never opened a business book in their life"
    in 30 reviews
  • "Upper Management expects the store to be perfect with little to no hours given to complete the projects"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Enjoy the lies

Customer Team Lead (Former Employee)
Amarillo, TX

I worked at Hastings Entertainment part-time for less than a year

ProsFun environment
Full of great products
great discount
Fast paced environment
meet great friends

Conslack of respect for employees
management expectations are unrealistic
customer complaints are all the time

Advice to Senior ManagementWant my opinion? Learn to respect your employees, if something is wrong talk to them instead of keeping it to yourself. You can't expect the problem to go away unless you work with your team to achieve a better standard. And the magazines? They don't change and no one, seriously not one person, wants them. I was hired as a team lead, I missed one day, just one, and was let go because of "Customer Complaints." The funny thing to me is that I never heard nor saw a single complaint from a customer or a manager.

Great summer job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time for more than a year

ProsPeople were friendly, and I was lucky to get paid overtime on holidays because no one else wanted to work them!

ConsI didn't really have any complaints about working here, I had a good time since it was a summer job while I was taking classes. I had a lot of flexibility with my hours.

Terrible

Little Bit of Everything (Former Employee)
Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time for less than a year

ProsEmployee discount? Seriously there was almost nothing good about this job. One or two of the employees I met were okay, but I barely got a chance to know them before I walked away from that job.

ConsYou won't be able to take advantage of the employee discount. They are not above flat out lying to you about your payscale. During my interview we agreed to a set amount a few dollars above minimum wage. Even that was lower than I was used to but I understand you have to start somewhere. So after that agreement I start working, and after a few weeks when I finally get my first paycheck I found out they had lied and just went ahead and given me minimum wage. I was furious.
The hours suck. They give you far too much work to even begin to finish in the time allotted. They don't properly man the registers.
They treat every employee like a convicted serial burglar. You have to go through what's basically a NASA spacewalk depressurization style pat down and scan before you go home for the day to make sure you haven't stolen anything.
Another thing: about 90% of the employees at the store I worked for were mind breakingly dumb. Like "get hit by parked cars" level of stupid. This was even high among the management. Nothing could be organised you couldn't ask a question without getting a vacant stare and a full minute of "uhhhhh". It was basically like a cross between the special ed class and the detention area of a particularly bad Jr High were let loose in a Hastings.
The video and ordering computer system was ancient. Like late 80s ancient. The system I used at B. Dalton Bookstore (and isn't THAT dated now) 13 years ago was at least 10 systems ahead of this one.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay people better.
Hire better management.
Give better hours
Update your equipment
Offer better benefits
Pay people better
Stop treating your employees like criminals. You're fostering an "us against them" attitude. Shouldn't we all be working to make the company better? If you treat us like we're the enemy we will be.
Pay your employees better!
Pay your employees better!
Pay. Your. Employees. Better!

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun environment, unappreciative upper management

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe product and customers are great! Pretty good discount on electronics and used products.

ConsLow pay scale. As managers are not given the ability to compete for quality associates, most strong associates leave for better paying companies. Also, as a manager you are required to work a 48hour work week 6 days a week, they don't allow much of a work/life balance. Also, due to some restructuring in the company, it seems like the left foot isn't communicating with the right foot most of the time... And more often than not there are huge gaps in communication. Also, the company is not consistent in its training of MIT's, usually throwing them into stores with little to no training .... And then they wonder why these managers fail and/or leave the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your associates. Become more competitive in pay if you want to retain strong associates and managers. Train your associates better and don't throw an MIT in a store before they have completed the training.

Working with terrific people for a company run by untrained monkeys.

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe employee discount was quite generous. There are decent opportunities for advancement if you prove yourself to be reliable and competent. The people I worked with at the store level were good as gold. If you are into books, music, movies or video games, it is fun to work with something you enjoy. For a time, the cafes that are in most locations were improving rapidly. Easy to get employed, even with no qualifications or experience.

ConsThe pay is miserable. I make more now in clerical work than I did as store manager for Hastings. A "defector" to a competitor confided that he makes more as a store manager for them than he did as a district manager for Hastings. I worked at corporate headquarters for a time, and the company is run with sloppiness and inefficiency. Political intrigue and passing the blame are the order of the day at HQ. As upper management (belatedly) identify problems, they make more procedures and forms for the store to do instead of making existing procedures and forms better or more efficient. Less time is spent at the store with customers and products, and more is spent doing forms and submitting them. The hours can be bad. Labor hours are insufficient to complete expected tasks. Finally, business model is failing in the digital age.

Advice to Senior ManagementFace it...pay must be improved. I managed the store in a college town, and I could only get the dregs because everyplace else in town paid better. The company must be run with logic ,reason, and foresight...not impulsive emotional reactions to every crisis followed by nonsensical new procedures and forms to do. District managers require more oversight.

Great small town store

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Lubbock, TX

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

Prosook, video,music and coffee store all in one.

Consrunning a small crew to save hours in a big store

Wth. Worst Job Ever.

Barista (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Hastings Entertainment part-time for more than a year

ProsMeet new people.kind of fun

ConsEverything. They work you like a freaking dog.

Great people, poor pay

Boise, ID

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of great people work for the company but lots leave due to poor pay. Really easy job as far as management as long as you have the right district manager.

ConsTrying to keep good employees with the bad pay. Upper Management expects the store to be perfect with little to no hours given to complete the projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you pay people more and give them raises then they will stay and you will have great people working in your stores.

Overworked and had to babysit people that didn't want to be there

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hastings Entertainment

ProsI enjoyed helping customers discover fun and exciting stuff to purchase. The employees are nice and fun to work with. Every day was new and challenging and enjoyed facing new challenges

ConsLong shifts and working seven days a week was a major problem. Having to put up with employees that would consistently get into petty fights over personal issue was also a problem.

Mostly good experience there, management was not very nice and I got in trouble over things that werent my fault a lot.

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee)
Meridian, ID

I worked at Hastings Entertainment part-time for less than a year

ProsI absolutely loved my co-workers. They were the best, some like my best friends. Working with the customers was nice most of the time :)

ConsSometimes got written up for things that weren't even my fault. the management here basically sucks. I had a family member die while employed here and got no sympathy or condolences at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck in with your stores once in a while. Just re-evaluate what it means to be a manager.

Worked for Hastings Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hastings Entertainment reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hastings Entertainment CEO John H. Marmaduke. All 194 reviews posted anonymously by Hastings Entertainment employees.