Hastings Entertainment

Be The First To
Add Photos

Hastings Entertainment Chairman, President, and CEO John H. Marmaduke

John H. Marmaduke

Pros:
  • "Great co-workers, decent hours, fun enviroment"
    in 10 reviews
  • "The employee discount is fair especially on books, employees are great to work with"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "getting a consistent answer from any corporate level department &/or upper management"
    in 31 reviews
  • "Upper Management expects the store to be perfect with little to no hours given to complete the projects"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Mostly good experience there, management was not very nice and I got in trouble over things that werent my fault a lot.

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee)
Meridian, ID

I worked at Hastings Entertainment part-time for less than a year

ProsI absolutely loved my co-workers. They were the best, some like my best friends. Working with the customers was nice most of the time :)

ConsSometimes got written up for things that weren't even my fault. the management here basically sucks. I had a family member die while employed here and got no sympathy or condolences at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck in with your stores once in a while. Just re-evaluate what it means to be a manager.

Awful not worth your time.

Manager In Training (Former Employee)
Clovis, NM

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time for more than a year

ProsSome of the people I worked with

ConsAs a salaried employee being forced to work 74 hours a week with no reward or incentive and only being paid for 40 of those hours. To much micromanagement from the head office in amarillo. No help whatsoever to complete training to do job properly.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no advice for a company that can not treat it's employees properly.

Worst job I have ever had!

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Moses Lake, WA

I worked at Hastings Entertainment part-time for less than a year

ProsThe product was the only plus side to this job (Hastings sold interesting and fun items).

Conshorrible work environment, poor pay, management that ran the store like a high school cafeteria, run-down establishment, minimal discount(s), and completely unprofessional

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove management that is related to employees and stop with all of the add-on sales.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Felt like I wasted 2 years of my life

Department Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time for more than a year

ProsI was able to work with some wonderful people
Ok work enviroment

ConsTerrible upper management

Awful pay

Have seen many part-time associates receive less than 10 hours a week because of labor projections

Unrealistic goals from upper management makes it hard for the sales employees to meet goals when we are unable to keep the store staffed and have people actually working.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like people instead of numbers.

Make intelligent marketing decisions

Good Environment, but Corporate is out of touch.

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee)
Warrensburg, MO

I worked at Hastings Entertainment part-time for more than a year

ProsGood Discounts
Fun Environment
Relaxed Dress Code
Multiple Departments to Train In
Advancement Opportunity

ConsCorporate Office is out of touch with the workings of store to store
Policies confusing
Assistant Manager don't stick
Little raises

Advice to Senior ManagementGet in touch with your retail employees and know what they are up to!

Hastings - Your Entertainment Superstore?

Customer Service Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe store that I worked at, well to say the least, I was almost there for 9 years, full time, and we were a lot like a family, until recently when I got fired. Granted, I was the one who did, but honestly, I am better off now, and putting all I learned to good use.

ConsThough my hours were never directly involved, Hastings has really changed since I first started back in 2004. Our discount wasnt that bad then, things werent so number driven as they are now, and we didnt carry everything, which honestly I thought was so great about Hastings. Now we're buying pointless things like exercise equipment, or having our higher ups spend fuel on their private jet to go to the next Hastings when they do a corporate visit when it would be cheaper to rent a car and put gas into it. Honestly dont see Hastings surviving if we dont change.

Advice to Senior ManagementTHINK before you do your actions, and listen to the little people, they know your stores a lot better than you do, because honestly, you have your fingers so stuck up your butts that you refuse to let us to help Hastings grow and succeed.

Wonderful coworkers, Awful manager, Even worse corporate managment.

Backroom Associate + GoShip (Current Employee)
Murfreesboro, TN

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment part-time for less than a year

Pros- Being surrounded by entertainment
- Wonderful collection of nerdy coworkers
- Simple enough tasks

Cons- Manager and above does NOT care about your feelings. I have been with Hastings for almost a year and within the past few months alone with our new manager, MANY long time employees have quit because of such disrespectful, condescending management. Including an employee of 12-13 years experience.
- If something goes wrong they will find someone to blame, try fixing it, blame someone else if it doesn't work. Management is only good at pointing fingers.
- No matter how hard you work, they will go out of their way to make sure you feel worthless. I have never worked for such a condescending company before.
- Pay and hours are LAUGHABLE.

Advice to Senior ManagementCARE ABOUT YOUR EMPLOYEES.

Ambition from in-store workers, no follow-through from upper management.

Customer Service Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you're lucky like I was, your associates within your store are great people you'd never meet otherwise.
Stay up-to-date on the latest entertainment releases

ConsIt's retail and as would be expected, little pay, lots of turnover, long hours during peak holiday seasons, little hours during slow seasons, little credit from District Managers, little chance to move up the company ladder to corporate level if you've already worked your way up through the store levels unless you're willing to wait an additional 10 years. Don't let them string you along with the promise of something better like myself and so many others did!

Advice to Senior ManagementI worked my way up through all the levels of the store in less than 4 years and started out at minimum wage and this is what I learned: Listen to your grunt workers. They're you're sales force. They're the ones interacting with your customers daily and hearing the opinions. Don't take a Store Manager's word as gold but instead ask those who've been around the block a time or two.

I'm desperately looking for something else!

Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros*Flexible schedules.
*Surrounded by the latest in entertainment.

Cons*Grueling work requirements for management.
*Laughable discounts.
*Employees are treated like dirt when they want to buy things with regards to sale pricing and coupons.
*Management pay is fair but a joke for part time and department managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your heads out of the clouds and leave the home office so you can actually spend time working IN THE STORE. Once you see how the store level operations are you will understand that there is a major disconnect between the stores and the home office.

It has its moments

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment part-time for more than a year

ProsDecent pay for a college student, pretty nice discount on certain items, flexible hours (but this depends on the manager), the other employees are generally easy to get along with

ConsFront counter associates are penalized for not getting a certain amount of email addresses, magazine subscriptions, etc., discount is not always significant, some upper management has a superiority complex. The 49-cent thing is misleading for the customers and we ALWAYS get questions about it. Also the computer systems are terribly outdated and freeze constantly

Advice to Senior ManagementPLEASE stop it with the magazines. We're tired of it and I'm sure the customers are tired of us asking them about it.

Worked for Hastings Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hastings Entertainment reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hastings Entertainment CEO John H. Marmaduke. All 195 reviews posted anonymously by Hastings Entertainment employees.