Hastings Entertainment

Be The First To
Add Photos

Hastings Entertainment Chairman, President, and CEO John H. Marmaduke

John H. Marmaduke

Pros
  • Great co-workers, decent hours, fun enviroment(in 10 reviews)

• The employee discount is fair especially on books, employees are great to work with(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper-management acts like they have never opened a business book in their life(in 33 reviews)

• Upper Management expects the store to be perfect with little to no hours given to complete the projects(in 10 reviews)

Terrible

Little Bit of Everything (Former Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsEmployee discount? Seriously there was almost nothing good about this job. One or two of the employees I met were okay, but I barely got a chance to know them before I walked away from that job.

ConsYou won't be able to take advantage of the employee discount. They are not above flat out lying to you about your payscale. During my interview we agreed to a set amount a few dollars above minimum wage. Even that was lower than I was used to but I understand you have to start somewhere. So after that agreement I start working, and after a few weeks when I finally get my first paycheck I found out they had lied and just went ahead and given me minimum wage. I was furious.
    The hours suck. They give you far too much work to even begin to finish in the time allotted. They don't properly man the registers.
    They treat every employee like a convicted serial burglar. You have to go through what's basically a NASA spacewalk depressurization style pat down and scan before you go home for the day to make sure you haven't stolen anything.
    Another thing: about 90% of the employees at the store I worked for were mind breakingly dumb. Like "get hit by parked cars" level of stupid. This was even high among the management. Nothing could be organised you couldn't ask a question without getting a vacant stare and a full minute of "uhhhhh". It was basically like a cross between the special ed class and the detention area of a particularly bad Jr High were let loose in a Hastings.
    The video and ordering computer system was ancient. Like late 80s ancient. The system I used at B. Dalton Bookstore (and isn't THAT dated now) 13 years ago was at least 10 systems ahead of this one.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay people better.
    Hire better management.
    Give better hours
    Update your equipment
    Offer better benefits
    Pay people better
    Stop treating your employees like criminals. You're fostering an "us against them" attitude. Shouldn't we all be working to make the company better? If you treat us like we're the enemy we will be.
    Pay your employees better!
    Pay your employees better!
    Pay. Your. Employees. Better!

Fun environment, unappreciative upper management

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe product and customers are great! Pretty good discount on electronics and used products.

ConsLow pay scale. As managers are not given the ability to compete for quality associates, most strong associates leave for better paying companies. Also, as a manager you are required to work a 48hour work week 6 days a week, they don't allow much of a work/life balance. Also, due to some restructuring in the company, it seems like the left foot isn't communicating with the right foot most of the time... And more often than not there are huge gaps in communication. Also, the company is not consistent in its training of MIT's, usually throwing them into stores with little to no training .... And then they wonder why these managers fail and/or leave the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your associates. Become more competitive in pay if you want to retain strong associates and managers. Train your associates better and don't throw an MIT in a store before they have completed the training.

Working with terrific people for a company run by untrained monkeys.

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe employee discount was quite generous. There are decent opportunities for advancement if you prove yourself to be reliable and competent. The people I worked with at the store level were good as gold. If you are into books, music, movies or video games, it is fun to work with something you enjoy. For a time, the cafes that are in most locations were improving rapidly. Easy to get employed, even with no qualifications or experience.

ConsThe pay is miserable. I make more now in clerical work than I did as store manager for Hastings. A "defector" to a competitor confided that he makes more as a store manager for them than he did as a district manager for Hastings. I worked at corporate headquarters for a time, and the company is run with sloppiness and inefficiency. Political intrigue and passing the blame are the order of the day at HQ. As upper management (belatedly) identify problems, they make more procedures and forms for the store to do instead of making existing procedures and forms better or more efficient. Less time is spent at the store with customers and products, and more is spent doing forms and submitting them. The hours can be bad. Labor hours are insufficient to complete expected tasks. Finally, business model is failing in the digital age.

Advice to Senior ManagementFace it...pay must be improved. I managed the store in a college town, and I could only get the dregs because everyplace else in town paid better. The company must be run with logic ,reason, and foresight...not impulsive emotional reactions to every crisis followed by nonsensical new procedures and forms to do. District managers require more oversight.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great small town store

Store Manager (Current Employee) Lubbock, TX

Prosook, video,music and coffee store all in one.

Consrunning a small crew to save hours in a big store

Wth. Worst Job Ever.

Barista (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsMeet new people.kind of fun

ConsEverything. They work you like a freaking dog.

Great people, poor pay

Store Manager (Former Employee) Boise, ID

ProsLots of great people work for the company but lots leave due to poor pay. Really easy job as far as management as long as you have the right district manager.

ConsTrying to keep good employees with the bad pay. Upper Management expects the store to be perfect with little to no hours given to complete the projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you pay people more and give them raises then they will stay and you will have great people working in your stores.

Overworked and had to babysit people that didn't want to be there

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI enjoyed helping customers discover fun and exciting stuff to purchase. The employees are nice and fun to work with. Every day was new and challenging and enjoyed facing new challenges

ConsLong shifts and working seven days a week was a major problem. Having to put up with employees that would consistently get into petty fights over personal issue was also a problem.

Awful not worth your time.

Manager In Training (Former Employee) Clovis, NM

ProsSome of the people I worked with

ConsAs a salaried employee being forced to work 74 hours a week with no reward or incentive and only being paid for 40 of those hours. To much micromanagement from the head office in amarillo. No help whatsoever to complete training to do job properly.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no advice for a company that can not treat it's employees properly.

Mostly good experience there, management was not very nice and I got in trouble over things that werent my fault a lot.

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) Meridian, ID

ProsI absolutely loved my co-workers. They were the best, some like my best friends. Working with the customers was nice most of the time :)

ConsSometimes got written up for things that weren't even my fault. the management here basically sucks. I had a family member die while employed here and got no sympathy or condolences at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck in with your stores once in a while. Just re-evaluate what it means to be a manager.

Felt like I wasted 2 years of my life

Department Manager (Former Employee)

ProsI was able to work with some wonderful people
    Ok work enviroment

ConsTerrible upper management

Awful pay

Have seen many part-time associates receive less than 10 hours a week because of labor projections

Unrealistic goals from upper management makes it hard for the sales employees to meet goals when we are unable to keep the store staffed and have people actually working.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like people instead of numbers.

Make intelligent marketing decisions

Worked for Hastings Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!