Hastings Entertainment

Updated December 12, 2014
Updated December 12, 2014
2.5

Joel Weinshanker

Pros
  • The employee discount is fair especially on books, employees are great to work with (in 22 reviews)

• They will teach you alot and the "Family" is fun to work with (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper-management acts like they have never opened a business book in their life (in 36 reviews)

• Upper Management expects the store to be perfect with little to no hours given to complete the projects (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Customer Service Associate

I worked at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

Freedom to stock and move about floor at my own discretion as long as I did my work, occasionally got to switch things by working in other departments

Cons

Standard retail job; nothing you clean stays clean for more than half an hour, customers occasionally irate/annoyed about things out of your control, management is hounding you because they're being hounded by corporate, etc

I know it's a part time job, but if your employee tells you he's a college student when you hire him, and asks for a bit of lax or leeway around finals time, I would listen to him instead of assigning him more hours than ever!

I worked as a barista - don't work here unless you are legitimately going to starve otherwise

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Hastings Entertainment part-time (less than an year)

Pros

People I worked with were great
    Discount is nice if you shop at the store often

Cons

From the first month or so of working there I was counting down the days until I could leave. Upper level management is so out of touch it's ridiculous. We were supposed to do tasks that were, in all reality, impossible to finish with the hours we were given, and were punished when they weren't. When I was hired, over 3/4s of the previous staff had quit, which I probably should have recognized as a strong warning sign. When I was working there (about 5 months) at least 10 people quit, some of whom had been with the store for many years. Staying until at least 12:30 or even 1AM on closing nights wasn't super uncommon even though I would only be scheduled until 11:30 because store hours were so low. Sexual harassment by the store manager was a running joke among the girls who worked there. Multiple girls complained about him to the supplied hotline and nothing was done about it. It's the most thankless job imaginable. From the moment I stepped into the building, I always felt like management was always upset at all their employees for not meeting some arbitrary standard. I worked in the cafe portion, so maybe my experience was a bit different. In the cafe, there was virtually no training period. You worked with other cafe staff for maybe 3 or 4 shifts and then you're expected to work by yourself and serve people from an extensive drink menu. If one of the drinks wasn't ordered during your training shift, too bad. Also, there was virtually no way to call in sick because the store was so understaffed. If you couldn't find anyone to cover for you, you had to show up and work. I remember hearing more than one person say they'd actually thrown up during their shift because they couldn't take the day off. Boy, do I have stories about that place! The point is DON'T WORK HERE.

Please hire more competent store managers who don't sexually harass their female employees and understaff the store and get upset when it doesn't operate like it's fully staffed. Treat your employees like they're people with lives.

Fun job

Current Employee - Store Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This job is fun and the'people are fun to work with. The product is awesome and discount is'pretty good too.

Cons

Not very competitive salary. Pay is lower than other retailer jobs. Corporate office has somewhat of a disconnect with the field.

Awful

Former Employee - Front Counter Team Lead in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Front Counter Team Lead in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers, good discount.

I was middle management and everyone at my level and below were great people.

Cons

Terrible management turnover, low pay, no backup from management when issues arise.

I worked there for 1 year exactly and there were 6 different store managers. Upper management would look for reasons to get rid of managers they didn't like personally, despite them improving the sotre.

Another retail job

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate

I worked at Hastings Entertainment part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employees are nice and fun to work with. The discount is pretty good, especially with books.

Cons

Computer system is very old and solving problems with it takes a lot of time and gets complicated very fast. Because of store policy, you also need permission from a manager or supervisor to do the most basic things, which holds up the lines. Pay is low.

Great for a first time job.

Current Employee - Lifestyles Associate in Meridian, ID
    Current Employee - Lifestyles Associate in Meridian, ID

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are a hard worker, it's really easy to move up in the company. The people that work there generally have fun while working. The employee discount is a huge plus. You never have to take home work. You can pick up shifts fairly easily if you know how to work in different parts of the store.

Cons

The hourly pay left little to be desired. I have been working there over a year and they will not give me a raise. It's hard to get more than thirty hours. The scheduling at my particular store was pretty bad. They would schedule me for closing one night and opening the very next morning. Less then 8 hours between shifts sometimes. If you are under 21, it is impossible to move up to a manager position.

Just an average retail job

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment part-time (more than an year)

Pros

you get a pretty good employee discount. also, you get a bonus if you can convince customers to try a free trial of magazine subscription. other than that, not that many pros. peers are nice though.

Cons

Management is incapable. They are lazy and just don't care. There's not a lot of incentive for regular employees to dow well. The hours aren't that flexible.

Great place to work

Current Employee - CSM in Fort Smith, AR
    Current Employee - CSM in Fort Smith, AR

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

None I can think of

Great place to work

Was alright

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Amarillo, TX
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Amarillo, TX

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun people that make shifts fly by

Cons

Management was pretty lacking, customers have little to no idea what they are talking about

Step it up, stop hiding behind glass

Not bad if you can put up with corporate.

I worked at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

Employee discount and access to merchandise, flexible hours for students or parents, promotional activities such as midnight releases and childrens story time, decent wage

Cons

Corporate makes sweeping changes that are not always helpful for individual stores, corporate communication with managers isnt great, sometimes we did not get requested supplies or they would change access to supplies or cancel them completely

Communicate better and make better decisions regarding individual stores. Ship out requested items promptly

Hastings Entertainment Photos