Hastings Entertainment

Updated October 4, 2014
Updated October 4, 2014
2.5

Joel Weinshanker

Pros
  • The employee discount is fair especially on books, employees are great to work with (in 22 reviews)

• Great co-workers, decent hours, fun enviroment (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper-management acts like they have never opened a business book in their life (in 35 reviews)

• Upper Management expects the store to be perfect with little to no hours given to complete the projects (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Another retail job

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate

I worked at Hastings Entertainment part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employees are nice and fun to work with. The discount is pretty good, especially with books.

Cons

Computer system is very old and solving problems with it takes a lot of time and gets complicated very fast. Because of store policy, you also need permission from a manager or supervisor to do the most basic things, which holds up the lines. Pay is low.

Great for a first time job.

Current Employee - Lifestyles Associate in Meridian, ID
    Current Employee - Lifestyles Associate in Meridian, ID

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are a hard worker, it's really easy to move up in the company. The people that work there generally have fun while working. The employee discount is a huge plus. You never have to take home work. You can pick up shifts fairly easily if you know how to work in different parts of the store.

Cons

The hourly pay left little to be desired. I have been working there over a year and they will not give me a raise. It's hard to get more than thirty hours. The scheduling at my particular store was pretty bad. They would schedule me for closing one night and opening the very next morning. Less then 8 hours between shifts sometimes. If you are under 21, it is impossible to move up to a manager position.

Great place to work

Current Employee - CSM in Fort Smith, AR
    Current Employee - CSM in Fort Smith, AR

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

None I can think of

Great place to work

Just an average retail job

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment part-time (more than an year)

Pros

you get a pretty good employee discount. also, you get a bonus if you can convince customers to try a free trial of magazine subscription. other than that, not that many pros. peers are nice though.

Cons

Management is incapable. They are lazy and just don't care. There's not a lot of incentive for regular employees to dow well. The hours aren't that flexible.

Was alright

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Amarillo, TX
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Amarillo, TX

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun people that make shifts fly by

Cons

Management was pretty lacking, customers have little to no idea what they are talking about

Step it up, stop hiding behind glass

Not bad if you can put up with corporate.

I worked at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

Employee discount and access to merchandise, flexible hours for students or parents, promotional activities such as midnight releases and childrens story time, decent wage

Cons

Corporate makes sweeping changes that are not always helpful for individual stores, corporate communication with managers isnt great, sometimes we did not get requested supplies or they would change access to supplies or cancel them completely

Communicate better and make better decisions regarding individual stores. Ship out requested items promptly

Great People, Horrible Corporate Structure

I worked at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

The people I worked with were fantastic. They made the day enjoyable even when things were slammed or customers were hard to deal with.

Cons

Corporate management is out of touch with what's going on in their stores. I was in a store whose manager they liked and we still got jerked around.

Pay your employees better. Even college students need to make a living.

Top down company

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kerrville, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kerrville, TX

I worked at Hastings Entertainment part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Discounts and some good, hard-working folks. Store manager is wonderful.

Cons

The company culture seems to be focused solely on the stock value and investor. Little to no concern over the the small-town folks who devote their lives to their menial jobs, only to have raises delayed and hours cut (yet still expected to do same amount of work as before).

Care about your people. Reward dedication. Happy, well-compensated employees=happy customers. Focus on increasing profits by building customer relationships, not stressing out your $8/hr stocker who feels taken advantage of. Employees are made to feel expendable. A lot of money is invested in micromanaging department managers from the corporate level, leaving no room for managers to take ownership and pride in their department. Also: low staff=high shrink! but corporate won't admit to that. Lot of pressure for one person to cover entire departments.

Management dislikes women and students. Unfair treatment, little training, unclear expectations.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Auburn, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Auburn, AL

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The store location is convenient for walking to if you live nearby.

Cons

The store manager at the time was not friendly towards most women, despite being one herself. She even vocalized not hiring a female candidate once for being "too skinny." I was interviewed by the then assistant store manager, who seemed friendly and laid back. However, once I began working more and more with the store manager, her inability to not let her personal dislike of some people interfere with the professional environment became abundantly apparent. I would receive no training on a task and have unclear expected results and then be penalized by her for not meeting some arbitrary deadline. She quickly began scheduling me when I was unavailable as well. I was a student at the time, and my education was way more important to me than this minimum wage job. This repeated scheduling conflict, despite my clear and up front communication of my class schedule, was the final straw and they "let me go."

Don't allow insane people to manage your stores. Someone at that level should not be letting their bigoted, 1950's ideas about gender into a workplace. It's entirely unethical and ridiculous.

Great starting company

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in New Braunfels, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in New Braunfels, TX

I worked at Hastings Entertainment part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

While I worked there it was more like a second family. We all got a long and had fun. Great place to work as a first time job for experience in retail. My supervisor was a fun lady to work there but sadly doesn't work there anymore.

Cons

The drama and unrealistic demands of corporate. I've been in recently and OMG they have turned into a micro carry all store. It's too busy and cluttered now and I feel cramped anytime I walk in.

Hastings Entertainment Photos