Hastings Entertainment

Be The First To
Add Photos

Hastings Entertainment Chairman, President, and CEO John H. Marmaduke

John H. Marmaduke

Pros
  • Great co-workers, decent hours, fun enviroment(in 10 reviews)

• The employee discount is fair especially on books, employees are great to work with(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper-management acts like they have never opened a business book in their life(in 33 reviews)

• Upper Management expects the store to be perfect with little to no hours given to complete the projects(in 10 reviews)

Wonderful experience

Department Manager (Former Employee) Spokane, WA

ProsWas able to advance from CSA to department associate to department manager within a reasonable time frame. Great support and leadership from store managers; I.e., didn't micromanage and fostered their employee's natural strengths. Learned valuable skills that increased my value as an employee.

ConsUnable to move beyond living from paycheck-to-paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees will always be the company's greatest asset.

Fun

GSA (Former Employee) Saint Joseph, MO

ProsThis was a fun place to work

ConsI don't see it much as a career builder, more of a part time situation while you go to school.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat you employees with the respect that you would like to recieve.

Require maximum effort for minimal pay.

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) Lawton, OK

ProsI enjoyed the people I worked with. The employee discount was nice.

ConsThey wanted me to be a department manager, but refused to give any pay raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to your employees salary concerns.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Standard retail environment, but the company stifles store-level initiative.

Customer Service Manager (Former Employee)

ProsFun atmosphere, interesting products to sell, decent time-off policy for full time.

ConsFor the position of CSM - the company tells the CSMs they are one of the most important positions in the company, but does not back that up with pay or professional opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your stores.

Fine for a highschool job.

CSA (Former Employee) Tyler, TX

ProsThis is an easy job... that's about it.

ConsDespite being a CSA (customer service associate), I got tasked with janitorial duties such as cleaning toilets and scrubbing urine off of the bathroom walls. Other staff were lazy, and with no oversight, I was left to pick up after others, fill in when they didn't do their jobs, and get no credit. It was kind of sad, I wanted to help make the store a better place, but no one else seemed to care. I was never given my promised raise in salary (though it would only have been by .25 cents...). I knew several employees that never showed up yet no one ever bothered firing them. Really pathetic. The store was a mess.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect those that put forth the extra effort, reward their hard work, and fire the lazy people.

Very laid back for retail environment

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) Waco, TX

ProsGreat Discount on certain things
    Offers obtainable scholarships
    Flexible schedule

ConsExpectations of corporate
    low pay
    have to work on holidays

Loved the job. Fast paced and always exciting.

ProsA challenging but rewarding job.

ConsCan be frustrating and very stressful depending on your coworkers/team.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you strive to control everyone on your team in order to make sure they all work well together.

This is a wonderful place to shop, but I would not recommend working here.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are some nice people that work here.

Cons"Training" is an utter joke. Be prepared to be left at a register all by yourself.
    Disorganized management.
    Archaic computer system. Not too mention it is so confusing. This is coming from an IT major.
    The pay is embarrassingly low.
    They do DRUG TESTS in order for you to get a job here. That's right, you will need to adhere to a drug test just for minimum wage.
    They force you to sell magazines, and once you are written up for not selling them, they will fire you.
    There is no incentive for moving up within Hastings.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay employees better. Stop stocking your stores with useless junk.

Worthless

Book Department Manager (Former Employee) Spokane, WA

ProsFun people to hang out with and usually cool store management.

Conspast the store level the 'management' is terrible. District Managers are worthless, but to be fair it's usually corporate level giving them a bunch of crap. Sales are down? gives us more hours to make them better. no more hours? Then leave us alone! We are selling DVDS, CDS, and BOOKS! OF COURSE BUSINESS IS DOWN. It's a dying business. A little more respect and love to your employees will go a long way.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry respecting your employees, paying them what they're worth, and don't fire people who have given you nothing but outstanding service for over 20 yeas. It's a real downer on your "lower" level employees.

A very poor company that really has no business calling itself an entertainment store.

Department Manager (Former Employee)

ProsMy knowledge of product far exceeded most, so helping people came easy and was rewarding at times. I love music and film, so having a discount was nice.

ConsJust about everything; this is not a good company. They make poor product decisions. Some of what they stock is complete junk. They stock too much of the same product and don't order enough diverse product. They order more product than they have space. The stores look awful and can't possibly be kept up with the lack of hours allotted, space and materials provided.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake better decisions about who you place in management positions. My store manager did not know how to communicate and was very, very unprofessional and didn't bathe before work at times. Almost every employee I worked with was unhappy and underpaid. Stop trying to operate stores with a corporate mindset. Smart employees can identify customer interest locally. Listen to them and make some of your operations decisions based on employee input from individual stores. Clean house at the management level-regional, district and store.

Worked for Hastings Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!