Hastings Entertainment

Updated November 3, 2014
Updated November 3, 2014
2.5

Joel Weinshanker

Pros
  • The employee discount is fair especially on books, employees are great to work with (in 22 reviews)

• They will teach you alot and the "Family" is fun to work with (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper-management acts like they have never opened a business book in their life (in 36 reviews)

• Upper Management expects the store to be perfect with little to no hours given to complete the projects (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun job

Current Employee - Store Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This job is fun and the'people are fun to work with. The product is awesome and discount is'pretty good too.

Cons

Not very competitive salary. Pay is lower than other retailer jobs. Corporate office has somewhat of a disconnect with the field.

Awful

Former Employee - Front Counter Team Lead in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Front Counter Team Lead in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers, good discount.

I was middle management and everyone at my level and below were great people.

Cons

Terrible management turnover, low pay, no backup from management when issues arise.

I worked there for 1 year exactly and there were 6 different store managers. Upper management would look for reasons to get rid of managers they didn't like personally, despite them improving the sotre.

Another retail job

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate

I worked at Hastings Entertainment part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employees are nice and fun to work with. The discount is pretty good, especially with books.

Cons

Computer system is very old and solving problems with it takes a lot of time and gets complicated very fast. Because of store policy, you also need permission from a manager or supervisor to do the most basic things, which holds up the lines. Pay is low.

Great for a first time job.

Current Employee - Lifestyles Associate in Meridian, ID
    Current Employee - Lifestyles Associate in Meridian, ID

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are a hard worker, it's really easy to move up in the company. The people that work there generally have fun while working. The employee discount is a huge plus. You never have to take home work. You can pick up shifts fairly easily if you know how to work in different parts of the store.

Cons

The hourly pay left little to be desired. I have been working there over a year and they will not give me a raise. It's hard to get more than thirty hours. The scheduling at my particular store was pretty bad. They would schedule me for closing one night and opening the very next morning. Less then 8 hours between shifts sometimes. If you are under 21, it is impossible to move up to a manager position.

Just an average retail job

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment part-time (more than an year)

Pros

you get a pretty good employee discount. also, you get a bonus if you can convince customers to try a free trial of magazine subscription. other than that, not that many pros. peers are nice though.

Cons

Management is incapable. They are lazy and just don't care. There's not a lot of incentive for regular employees to dow well. The hours aren't that flexible.

Great place to work

Current Employee - CSM in Fort Smith, AR
    Current Employee - CSM in Fort Smith, AR

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

None I can think of

Great place to work

Was alright

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Amarillo, TX
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Amarillo, TX

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun people that make shifts fly by

Cons

Management was pretty lacking, customers have little to no idea what they are talking about

Step it up, stop hiding behind glass

Not bad if you can put up with corporate.

I worked at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

Employee discount and access to merchandise, flexible hours for students or parents, promotional activities such as midnight releases and childrens story time, decent wage

Cons

Corporate makes sweeping changes that are not always helpful for individual stores, corporate communication with managers isnt great, sometimes we did not get requested supplies or they would change access to supplies or cancel them completely

Communicate better and make better decisions regarding individual stores. Ship out requested items promptly

Great People, Horrible Corporate Structure

I worked at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

The people I worked with were fantastic. They made the day enjoyable even when things were slammed or customers were hard to deal with.

Cons

Corporate management is out of touch with what's going on in their stores. I was in a store whose manager they liked and we still got jerked around.

Pay your employees better. Even college students need to make a living.

Top down company

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kerrville, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kerrville, TX

I worked at Hastings Entertainment part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Discounts and some good, hard-working folks. Store manager is wonderful.

Cons

The company culture seems to be focused solely on the stock value and investor. Little to no concern over the the small-town folks who devote their lives to their menial jobs, only to have raises delayed and hours cut (yet still expected to do same amount of work as before).

Care about your people. Reward dedication. Happy, well-compensated employees=happy customers. Focus on increasing profits by building customer relationships, not stressing out your $8/hr stocker who feels taken advantage of. Employees are made to feel expendable. A lot of money is invested in micromanaging department managers from the corporate level, leaving no room for managers to take ownership and pride in their department. Also: low staff=high shrink! but corporate won't admit to that. Lot of pressure for one person to cover entire departments.

Hastings Entertainment Photos