Hastings Entertainment Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.7
Joel Weinshanker

Pros
  • you get a pretty good employee discount (in 22 reviews)

• They will teach you alot and the "Family" is fun to work with (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper-management acts like they have never opened a business book in their life (in 36 reviews)

• Management was pretty lacking, customers have little to no idea what they are talking about (in 12 reviews)

1. Ugh

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

-Fairly large employee discount on books (~40%) -You learn customer service -Somewhat less strict dress code than my previous jobs.

Cons

-Corporate asks impossible things from their employees. -Employees are treated unfairly. -Employees are not paid enough for what they are asked to do. -Really bad employee discount. -The customers become angry because of rules set by corporate and take it out on the employees. -Very old/frustrating computer system. -Open from 9AM-11AM everyday of the year aside from Xmas. Employees are not paid time and half on holidays. -Breaks are hardly ever given at my store because there is so much work to do. -No pay raises or advancements. -Hastings only cares about making as much money as possible. Their employees are their last concern. -Open until 11PM daily and employees have to stay until midnight.

Advice to Management

Update your computer systems. They are the main cause for slow line complaints, if you push a wrong button it can take several minutes to get back to ringing the customer up. Pay time and half on holidays, or close early on holidays. Stop asking employees to do impossible things. ex: -Closing is chaotic and we are never able to finish everything we are asked of in 30 to 45 min. -Close an hour earlier. Staying open until 11PM during the week is absolutely ridiculous. -Stop having employee ask customers a million questions. The customer wants to come in, buy what they came for and leave.. not be harassed. -Stop punishing employees for having register times over 35 seconds. That's impossible for every transaction. Give employees raises! Rotate employees to different departments. I dislike working the same department everyday.. especially since CSA is the hardest job.

I Would Never Reccomend It

Former Employee - Hardback Cafe Associate in Abilene, TX
    Former Employee - Hardback Cafe Associate in Abilene, TX

I worked at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

-Decent discounts -Free paperback book a week -Truly great co-workers -Great atmopshere -Regulars are usually fun to talk to -MOSTLY understandable customers

Cons

-Management is clueless -Communication is absolutely terrible -Little to no training before they send you out alone -Only time when they call you is when they want you to work, and the management always got mad when I was unavaliable -Customers come first to them, if there's an unfair situation you're pretty much gone -You're written up often and rarely ever know why -Pitiful hours (mostly 12 hours a week) -Everyone in the cafe often worked alone, even during our busiest hours -I've walked into work often and didn't know of a reschedule -All of this happened with other workers too

Advice to Management

Give a little respect towards your employees. I (and 14 other employees) were fired due to loss in profits, when we rarely know what's going on. Treat us fairly and it will reflect in the store.

Like the Devil drawing a line in the sand and asking you to step over it.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

Employee discount Great Co-workers Cool products Rental Membership

Cons

Poor communication Too many hours (48+ a week) Lack of corporate accountability Lack of corporate leadership Lack of district leadership Dark Ages leadership mentality Unrealistic goals No positive feedback Excessive favoritism

Advice to Management

Put more attention in your employees. Take the time to notice what they do and what they contribute. And take your head out of your wallet and realize that with continued "Wage Freezes" you are going to lose great people. With the poor leadership in your local districts and with your distric leaders conflicting information and zero accountability, you are going to continue to lose great associates. Great job, promoting and parading idiots. It would be very helpful to your company, when, during a corporate visit, your executives actually speak to the associates and stop walking around with scowls on their face. It would also improve moral greatly if you acknowledged the contributions the store staff made, instead of merely pointing our what they are "NOT DOING". Its quite tragic, when you assess the level of accountability on the corporate scale. You are always asking more from the store, but never giving anything more than a passable attitude to it all. Take care of your people, or you'll have none left.

5. I can't believe they cut workforce so much as to continually deny me a 5 min. break after 6 hours!

Current Employee - Cashier & Customer Service in Mountain Home, AR
    Current Employee - Cashier & Customer Service in Mountain Home, AR

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

Availability of company health insurance plan after 90 days.

Cons

Management pay is so low that they have cruel folks in management that are allowed to continue because it saves the company a few bucks in payroll!

Advice to Management

Stop trumpeting that most cruel fiction that oh, yes, our sales are down, but the way we are going to turn that around is by letting our happiness be more evident...it will rub off on john q. customer and they will want to spend more time in our store and thus part with more cash... Your suggestive selling is so horrible to push us flunkies to push a product that is over priced. That is...a coke that is no more than a dollar in a machine is a mere $ 1.69 at Hastings !

who wants this-stress and heartaches

Current Employee - Backroom in Lubbock, TX
    Current Employee - Backroom in Lubbock, TX

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

customers-some other employees employee discount getting off work

Cons

task driven to non success people are not important any longer no raises no job security turnover is unbelievably high

Advice to Management

listen to your people stop letting corporate run stores and have faith in managers share the wealth add incentives to jobs since no raises in the works stop these failed operational issues and train people right

Upper management doesn't have a clue how to run a successful company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

Regular guests Fellow workers Discount on used product

Cons

Incompetent management Raises only through promotion Demotion/termination through questionable methods

Advice to Management

Start listening to the wage slaves in the field about the issues that the company has. Start treating your associates like you really appreciate them and what they do, and quit blaming them for all your failures in leadership. Start cutting at the top, not the bottom. Company issues have little to do with the basic store associate, they have lots to do with the incompetent people who populate jobs from DM up. Go back to basics like Best Service in Town.

Please don't do it

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

I have made some really good friends with the people I work with...or used to work with rather, most of them have left for better jobs. The regulars that we get in the store help us keep our sanity, they help us more than they probably know.

Cons

Upper management doesn't care about anything except making sure the numbers look good. If sales are low, its obviously us, the lowly associate, who is at fault. Hours are next to impossible to get if you need this job to survive on. There is little to no room for advancing within the company.

Advice to Management

My advice for management, respect and acknowledge the work that we, the grunts of the company, do. I have worked with the company for 3 years, seen many associates come and go. A pay freeze doesn't help us at all. Threats of being fired doesn't raise our moral. Getting to see you, Mr. Marmaduke fly around on a private jet while we worry about getting enough gas in our cars doesn't help. We work hard for you, we are how you stay in business. Its called respecting your associates.

Think twice about this company.

Current Employee - Store Support Center in Amarillo, TX
    Current Employee - Store Support Center in Amarillo, TX

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

Products are fun if you enjoy them. Locations are in small towns which is very appealing. There are still bright passionate people in the organization who Radio Shack haven't gotten around to recruiting yet.

Cons

The executive leadershp has neglected the people aspect of the business and is near the breaking point in light of the decline in packaged media. The current atmosphere is one where the store employees literally hate and distrust (with some reason) the corporate employees and the executive leadership has a "beatings will continue until moral improves" mentality. Note to store employees: The reason many corporate employees have scowls on their faces is that we have been made miserable and in constant fear of losing our job.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people. That is the game changer. It is not very likely that you will stumble on any new get rich quick gimmicks when the business is a melting ice-cube. Develop and value people. We can be the store where customers can find employees who are motivated and knowledgeable about the product, not beaten down. You have invested the bare minimum in your store teams and that is what we are getting in return. Best Service In Town starts with happy confident people. Don't use excuses in the Quarterly Report, after you have dismissed and humiliated store managers when they told you the exact same thing weeks before.

unhappy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, LA

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

discounts some good coworkers nearby to good fast food good selection of merchandise direct deposit available regular pay big parking lot

Cons

lack of decent hours and no respect for workers bad behavior of customers who are mostly thieves too many goals for too few people to finish flaky management

Advice to Management

take your worker's side for once stop letting customers tear things up stop the pay freeze stop lying about the 49 cent rentals

Awful, Terrible, Dont Do It

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New Braunfels, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New Braunfels, TX

I worked at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

Descent Product Customers are pretty nice but very needy When I started with the company in 2009 the management and hours were much better.

Cons

Dirty, awful management, awful pay, no hours, unappreciative corporate and managers. I left the company after 2 1/2 years with no raise and people being promoted over me at a job I was good at.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your staff because they do work hard. Reward them with raises and promotions when they deserve it. Clean your store and dont be so unappreciative and you will keep some of the great employees you have.

RSS Feed </> Embed