Hastings Entertainment Reviews

Updated August 19, 2014
Updated August 19, 2014

2.4

Joel Weinshanker

Pros
  • Great co-workers, decent hours, fun enviroment (in 10 reviews)

• The employee discount is fair especially on books, employees are great to work with (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper-management acts like they have never opened a business book in their life (in 33 reviews)

• Upper Management expects the store to be perfect with little to no hours given to complete the projects (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great starting company

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  New Braunfels, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in New Braunfels, TX

I worked at Hastings Entertainment part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

While I worked there it was more like a second family. We all got a long and had fun. Great place to work as a first time job for experience in retail. My supervisor was a fun lady to work there but sadly doesn't work there anymore.

Cons

The drama and unrealistic demands of corporate. I've been in recently and OMG they have turned into a micro carry all store. It's too busy and cluttered now and I feel cramped anytime I walk in.

No help at Hastings

Former Employee - Front Counter Team Lead  in  Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - Front Counter Team Lead in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Hastings Entertainment part-time for less than a year

Pros

The discounts are amazing, buying back media is pretty fun.

Cons

Other employees are lazy and don't work hard.

Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people and great customers

Cons

Work-life balance, minimum pay for hardworking associates, work load too heavy for little staff

Listen, actually LISTEN, when your managers are talking. Whether it is a Store manager or a department manager. We are the ones that work in the store day to day. Ensure your expectations are realistic and give people the opportunity to advance.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dying company.

Former Employee - Book Department Manager
    Former Employee - Book Department Manager

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was the Book Manager. I LOVED my job. Loved the product and most of the customers.

Cons

Low pay.
    Minimal coverage on the floor.
    Task management is ridiculous.

Appreciate your employees more. Be more realistic about your expectations.

Great starter job, Not so much for previous work employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Wichita Falls, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita Falls, TX

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment full-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome people to work with, discounts, and always up to date on current trends

Cons

Open every single day of the year except Christmas and no overtime pay or holiday pay or bonuses. Anything past store manager doesn't care about anyone in the store, if something goes wrong they just blame the guy under them, Super high turnover rate

Maybe don't treat employees like slaves, they have a life, and need respect

Easy work, but poor management climate and very archaic and unreliable technical system.

Current Employee - Store Manager Trainee
    Current Employee - Store Manager Trainee

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great discount on used products. Get to sell fun entertainment products. Get to work with fun people if you have the right co-workers. Good work flexibility with reasonable hours and shifts even for full-time mangers.

Cons

Low pay even for management; not any better than Walmart or any other major retail chain with a low salary for MIT and no overtime for 48+ hours a week of required work. Awful store training program full of out-dated policy information and unreliable an inaccurate tests. Management has no desire to properly train new management personal, instead they just fire people without warning. Unreliable computer system that freezes and crashes making inventory a pain. Depending where you work you may have to deal with a lo of theft issues.

Actually follow the handbook and try to train new people rather than treat people like expendable garbage. It is unethical to fire MIT's based on performance reviews without having previously spoken with them and defining your expectations for them. They can't fix problems you have that you never brought to their attention.

Horrible Pay for Management

Former Employee - MIT Manager In Training  in  Benton, AR
    Former Employee - MIT Manager In Training in Benton, AR

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time for less than a year

Pros

For me it was commute, very shirt drive from my home.

Cons

Long hours, open on major holidays, poor pay for management, old outdated systems. Upper management needs to follow through with actions and not just talk. Pay your people better and your get better quality employees.

Upper management needs to follow through with actions and not just talk. Pay your people better and your get better quality employees and update the systems. DOS is extremely outdated, take the money that's lining your pockets and invest in people and systems.

Meh!

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Stephenville, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Stephenville, TX

I worked at Hastings Entertainment part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people to work with. Learned a lot about retail. Standing all day long was kind of a bummer, but they didn't mind what footwear you had so that made it bearable.

Cons

Managers are too worried about the numbers that they treat the workers like cogs in a machine. I went many months without a good grasp on what i was doing.

Look into the stores more. Don't let the appearance of a tight ship fool you.

Great People Working For Little Money

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Boise, ID

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best co workers you will ever have! It is a bunch of really smart people with outside degrees that love their various mediums. If money doesn't matter there is no better job.

Cons

If you want to pay your water bill this month, you cannot afford to work here

Continue in the direction you are going! It is a much needed change from the past! Open the purse strings with the new owner and invest in the future!

cafe manager

Former Employee - Hardback Cafe Manager  in  College Station, TX
    Former Employee - Hardback Cafe Manager in College Station, TX

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

it was a easy job, the hours were decent and I was always able to get time off

Cons

Getting approved vacation and training a person before you leave only to find out you trained your replacement and no longer had a job after vacation.

Worked for Hastings Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!