Hastings Entertainment Reviews

264 reviews filtered by

1. Different in the end

Current Employee - Manager in Alamogordo, NM
    Current Employee - Manager in Alamogordo, NM

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment (More than 3 years)

Pros

Associates. Fun working most of the time

Cons

New management taking over and being a hypocrite the whole time

Advice to Management

Nothing

2. Stay away!!

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Jonesboro, AR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Jonesboro, AR

I worked at Hastings Entertainment part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount on rentals, movies, and products.

Cons

Micromanagement!! If kerri, kristy, and misty still work there...don't even apply. They follow every step you make. Minimum wage, average insurance.

Advice to Management

Ease up! You want better talent? Then pay better and be a better company!

3. Customer Service Associate

I worked at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

Freedom to stock and move about floor at my own discretion as long as I did my work, occasionally got to switch things by working in other departments

Cons

Standard retail job; nothing you clean stays clean for more than half an hour, customers occasionally irate/annoyed about things out of your control, management is hounding you because they're being hounded by corporate, etc

Advice to Management

I know it's a part time job, but if your employee tells you he's a college student when you hire him, and asks for a bit of lax or leeway around finals time, I would listen to him instead of assigning him more hours than ever!

5. Worst retail company

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a job. Fun people to work with. Not a lot of good things to say about this company except good discounts.

Cons

No outside life. Very under paid. No empowerment what so ever. Daily hate mail emails to store managers.

Advice to Management

DLP's abuse their power and brag about firing.

Toxic work environment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nampa, ID
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nampa, ID

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

Incredible coworkers and regular customers.

Cons

Management constantly belittles and discourages you, blames you for poor profit margin, vaguely threatens to fire you on a weekly basis.

Advice to Management

Be careful of who you let run your stores. If I wanted some to play games with my head, I'd get an abusive boyfriend.

I worked as a barista - don't work here unless you are legitimately going to starve otherwise

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Hastings Entertainment part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People I worked with were great
    Discount is nice if you shop at the store often

Cons

From the first month or so of working there I was counting down the days until I could leave. Upper level management is so out of touch it's ridiculous. We were supposed to do tasks that were, in all reality, impossible to finish with the hours we were given, and were punished when they weren't. When I was hired, over 3/4s of the previous staff had quit, which I probably should have recognized as a strong warning sign. When I was working there (about 5 months) at least 10 people quit, some of whom had been with the store for many years. Staying until at least 12:30 or even 1AM on closing nights wasn't super uncommon even though I would only be scheduled until 11:30 because store hours were so low. Sexual harassment by the store manager was a running joke among the girls who worked there. Multiple girls complained about him to the supplied hotline and nothing was done about it. It's the most thankless job imaginable. From the moment I stepped into the building, I always felt like management was always upset at all their employees for not meeting some arbitrary standard. I worked in the cafe portion, so maybe my experience was a bit different. In the cafe, there was virtually no training period. You worked with other cafe staff for maybe 3 or 4 shifts and then you're expected to work by yourself and serve people from an extensive drink menu. If one of the drinks wasn't ordered during your training shift, too bad. Also, there was virtually no way to call in sick because the store was so understaffed. If you couldn't find anyone to cover for you, you had to show up and work. I remember hearing more than one person say they'd actually thrown up during their shift because they couldn't take the day off. Boy, do I have stories about that place! The point is DON'T WORK HERE.

Advice to Management

Please hire more competent store managers who don't sexually harass their female employees and understaff the store and get upset when it doesn't operate like it's fully staffed. Treat your employees like they're people with lives.

Fun job

Current Employee - Store Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This job is fun and the'people are fun to work with. The product is awesome and discount is'pretty good too.

Cons

Not very competitive salary. Pay is lower than other retailer jobs. Corporate office has somewhat of a disconnect with the field.

9. Awful

Former Employee - Front Counter Team Lead in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Front Counter Team Lead in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, good discount.

I was middle management and everyone at my level and below were great people.

Cons

Terrible management turnover, low pay, no backup from management when issues arise.

I worked there for 1 year exactly and there were 6 different store managers. Upper management would look for reasons to get rid of managers they didn't like personally, despite them improving the sotre.

10. Another retail job

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate

I worked at Hastings Entertainment part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The employees are nice and fun to work with. The discount is pretty good, especially with books.

Cons

Computer system is very old and solving problems with it takes a lot of time and gets complicated very fast. Because of store policy, you also need permission from a manager or supervisor to do the most basic things, which holds up the lines. Pay is low.

11. Great for a first time job.

Current Employee - Lifestyles Associate in Meridian, ID
    Current Employee - Lifestyles Associate in Meridian, ID

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are a hard worker, it's really easy to move up in the company. The people that work there generally have fun while working. The employee discount is a huge plus. You never have to take home work. You can pick up shifts fairly easily if you know how to work in different parts of the store.

Cons

The hourly pay left little to be desired. I have been working there over a year and they will not give me a raise. It's hard to get more than thirty hours. The scheduling at my particular store was pretty bad. They would schedule me for closing one night and opening the very next morning. Less then 8 hours between shifts sometimes. If you are under 21, it is impossible to move up to a manager position.

Hastings Entertainment Photos