Hastings Entertainment Reviews

Updated August 19, 2014

2.3

Hastings Entertainment Chairman, President, and CEO John H. Marmaduke
John H. Marmaduke

Pros
  • Great co-workers, decent hours, fun enviroment (in 10 reviews)

• The employee discount is fair especially on books, employees are great to work with (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper-management acts like they have never opened a business book in their life (in 33 reviews)

• Upper Management expects the store to be perfect with little to no hours given to complete the projects (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

This is a wonderful place to shop, but I would not recommend working here.

I worked at Hastings Entertainment part-time

Pros

There are some nice people that work here.

Cons

"Training" is an utter joke. Be prepared to be left at a register all by yourself.
    Disorganized management.
    Archaic computer system. Not too mention it is so confusing. This is coming from an IT major.
    The pay is embarrassingly low.
    They do DRUG TESTS in order for you to get a job here. That's right, you will need to adhere to a drug test just for minimum wage.
    They force you to sell magazines, and once you are written up for not selling them, they will fire you.
    There is no incentive for moving up within Hastings.

Pay employees better. Stop stocking your stores with useless junk.

Worthless

Former Employee - Book Department Manager  in  Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Book Department Manager in Spokane, WA

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun people to hang out with and usually cool store management.

Cons

past the store level the 'management' is terrible. District Managers are worthless, but to be fair it's usually corporate level giving them a bunch of crap. Sales are down? gives us more hours to make them better. no more hours? Then leave us alone! We are selling DVDS, CDS, and BOOKS! OF COURSE BUSINESS IS DOWN. It's a dying business. A little more respect and love to your employees will go a long way.

Try respecting your employees, paying them what they're worth, and don't fire people who have given you nothing but outstanding service for over 20 yeas. It's a real downer on your "lower" level employees.

Good job, terrible career

Current Employee - Front Counter Team Lead
    Current Employee - Front Counter Team Lead

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very laid back as far as retail is concerned. My manager is the best part of the company and why oh turnover rates were so low.

Cons

Being a business major, it has been fascinating to watch. I learn a business practice one day, then see clear example of how Hastings is doing it wrong. Synapse is terrible and enforced way too hard. The company seems to be ran with absolutely no regard to the market it is operating in. Full time positions are nonexistent, and the computer system is older than I am. Updating the computers would be expensive, but well worth the investment. However, upper management seems oblivious to this as well. In the few years I've worked here, I've seen the company cycle through district managers like they were fry cooks at McDonald's and most the store in our district and surrounding districts close. Finally, the CEO is too involved in the day to day operations of the store on the rare occasion that he does visit. All in all, a good job, but by no means would I consider making this place the focus of my career.

I honestly would not know where to begin.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This used to be a great company.

Former Employee - Production (Press)  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Production (Press) in Denver, CO

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A paycheck and that is about it.

Cons

Lower pay than before, longer hours. No training and no room for advancement. The managers are all related to the owner so you will never move up beyond a supervisory role regardless how hard you work and how much time that you put in. The relatives are lazy and unwilling to help anyone but themselves.

Take care of your employees. People fail to realize that the strength of a company is its employees and not the family members that are in charge of them.

okay for a first job

Former Employee - Lifestyles Associate  in  Hobbs, NM
    Former Employee - Lifestyles Associate in Hobbs, NM

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time for less than a year

Pros

fun environment, great promotional shirts, midnight releases were lots of fun, great employee discount

Cons

low hours, pay is very low, was full time and they cut my hours even when I was the only employee

keep up a good working environment in order to keep workers happy and wanting to stay at the company

If you like Amarillo, you'll have a job for life at Hastings

Former Employee - Category Manager  in  Amarillo, TX
    Former Employee - Category Manager in Amarillo, TX

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed the people I worked with, and the interaction with the vendors. Once I figured out what my job was, I was able to take pride in my accomplishments.

Cons

Upper Management is relentless in their desire to get more out of you, by any means necessary. Working early, staying late, and working weekends were common. There was turnover at the highest level last year, and I hear things have improved. Bottom line, if there was any training, and I mean ANY training for those coming in to that office, I might still be there today.

Awesome training plan for those in the field, nothing for those in the SSC. Also, too many daily meetings, leaving you with not enough time to do your job.

Very Productive Experience

Former Employee - Front Counter Team Lead  in  Waxahachie, TX
    Former Employee - Front Counter Team Lead in Waxahachie, TX

I worked at Hastings Entertainment part-time for more than a year

Pros

They will teach you alot and the "Family" is fun to work with.

Cons

Pay isn't good. Don't offer many hours. Can't promote very high within. Management is lacking professionality.

Clean house. Some people run the store but don't hold the title.

A very poor company that really has no business calling itself an entertainment store.

Former Employee - Department Manager
    Former Employee - Department Manager

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

My knowledge of product far exceeded most, so helping people came easy and was rewarding at times. I love music and film, so having a discount was nice.

Cons

Just about everything; this is not a good company. They make poor product decisions. Some of what they stock is complete junk. They stock too much of the same product and don't order enough diverse product. They order more product than they have space. The stores look awful and can't possibly be kept up with the lack of hours allotted, space and materials provided.

Make better decisions about who you place in management positions. My store manager did not know how to communicate and was very, very unprofessional and didn't bathe before work at times. Almost every employee I worked with was unhappy and underpaid. Stop trying to operate stores with a corporate mindset. Smart employees can identify customer interest locally. Listen to them and make some of your operations decisions based on employee input from individual stores. Clean house at the management level-regional, district and store.

scammers!

I worked at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

there are no pros...unless you enjoy getting scammed and throwing your money in the wind

Cons

paid money for a fundraising event...ended up with unprofessional service. Everything seemed to be thrown together last minute. I took a chance and ended up embarrassed in front of my colleagues, and attendees. Sloppy, thrown together, one lady gave me attitude when I told her I was not impressed. What?!

See above

Miserable

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment part-time

Pros

Get to know people well and help customers.

Cons

Terrible company that fails to recognize hard work

Work with schedules

Worked for Hastings Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!