Hastings Entertainment

Updated December 12, 2014
Updated December 12, 2014
2.5

Joel Weinshanker

Pros
  • The employee discount is fair especially on books, employees are great to work with (in 22 reviews)

• They will teach you alot and the "Family" is fun to work with (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper-management acts like they have never opened a business book in their life (in 36 reviews)

• Upper Management expects the store to be perfect with little to no hours given to complete the projects (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Very Productive Experience

Former Employee - Front Counter Team Lead in Waxahachie, TX
    Former Employee - Front Counter Team Lead in Waxahachie, TX

I worked at Hastings Entertainment part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They will teach you alot and the "Family" is fun to work with.

Cons

Pay isn't good. Don't offer many hours. Can't promote very high within. Management is lacking professionality.

Clean house. Some people run the store but don't hold the title.

A very poor company that really has no business calling itself an entertainment store.

Former Employee - Department Manager
    Former Employee - Department Manager

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My knowledge of product far exceeded most, so helping people came easy and was rewarding at times. I love music and film, so having a discount was nice.

Cons

Just about everything; this is not a good company. They make poor product decisions. Some of what they stock is complete junk. They stock too much of the same product and don't order enough diverse product. They order more product than they have space. The stores look awful and can't possibly be kept up with the lack of hours allotted, space and materials provided.

Make better decisions about who you place in management positions. My store manager did not know how to communicate and was very, very unprofessional and didn't bathe before work at times. Almost every employee I worked with was unhappy and underpaid. Stop trying to operate stores with a corporate mindset. Smart employees can identify customer interest locally. Listen to them and make some of your operations decisions based on employee input from individual stores. Clean house at the management level-regional, district and store.

scammers!

I worked at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

there are no pros...unless you enjoy getting scammed and throwing your money in the wind

Cons

paid money for a fundraising event...ended up with unprofessional service. Everything seemed to be thrown together last minute. I took a chance and ended up embarrassed in front of my colleagues, and attendees. Sloppy, thrown together, one lady gave me attitude when I told her I was not impressed. What?!

See above

Miserable

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment part-time

Pros

Get to know people well and help customers.

Cons

Terrible company that fails to recognize hard work

Work with schedules

Misguided upper management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amarillo, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amarillo, TX

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It was a team environment that worked well as long as everyone was on the same page. Upper management has an open door policy. It was a fun place to work.

Cons

I witnessed a LOT of good sellable product being thrown away. I also witnessed store managers spending a great deal of company money and losing their stores (Hastings lost 14 stores in one year!). Local newspaper articles attribute the store closings to the business climate. That may be true in some cases. I personally knew a couple of the managers whose stores were closed. They closed because of poor customer service and overspending.

Hire store managers who care about customer service and get involved in their communities. This will bring customers back into the stores. Hire store managers that are problem solvers. They will take some of the problems away from upper management to keep their jobs and to keep their stores open. Hire store managers that are frugal. Allowing these frugal managers to buy their own products and supplies will keep store expenses to a minimum.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Loss Prevention/Department Manager in Santa Fe, NM
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention/Department Manager in Santa Fe, NM

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very proactive about promoting from within, rewards for a job well done. One of my favorite retail experiences

Cons

Pay could be better, benefits compensation packets needs to be competitive to the market.

Like the coworkers, not the management

I worked at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

Met a lot of awesome people doing this job. Good close friends, and even some regular customers became friends.

Cons

Management keeps hours tight and gives a lot of work to do with high expectations. Nothing wrong with the work at all, nothing is hard to do, but when you're given a task that physically takes three hours to do and need it done in an hour, it gets stressful.

Give stores more hours, regardless of the labor cost. Without enough hands, the store will end up terrible, and the business will shrivel. And if Hastings management is actually reading this..you should be able to tell this is a problem with how many stores are closing everywhere. Tell Marmaduke he doesn't need to pinch all the money he can out of it, try making the stores better and stop making the a pawn shop with broken used equipment and poor deals.

Inventory manager

Former Employee - Inventory Control Manager in Waxahachie, TX
    Former Employee - Inventory Control Manager in Waxahachie, TX

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great schedule, work was easy if you trained properly and follow company policy. Liked most of my co-workers. Fun to work there.

Cons

Pay way too low. Don't get enough credit for the work you put in. Get over looked for positions that you know more about than the people hired for. Too much gossip that didn't get taken care of.

Do let good employees just walk away because they can't relocate. I worked for Hastings for 8 years and got looked past for manager several times when I knew more than the store managers.

A great environment to learn and develop your skills

Current Employee - Proammer in Amarillo, TX
    Current Employee - Proammer in Amarillo, TX

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very friendly environment with a great culture for employee development. Laid back atmsophere.

Cons

Small office politics and limited growth opportunities

Great to shop at... not to work at.

Former Employee - Store Manager In Training in Lawrence, KS
    Former Employee - Store Manager In Training in Lawrence, KS

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Properly laid out training plan for new hires. Wonderful work environment with the right staffing.

Cons

Pay rate is way too low for anyone not in management. MIT position is used more as a lackey than for it's actual position. Training plan mentioned before tends to lose focus from management.

Hastings Entertainment Photos