Hat World

Be The First To
Add Photos

Hat World President Ken Kocher

Ken Kocher

You work hard, to never get a raise or promotion.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsThe discount is great (40%) and the sports atmosphere is great.

ConsCorporate and upper management is very disrespectful and unfair. Never promote from within the company nor do they give raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow employees more respect!

Sell or get lost

Cincinnati, OH

ProsEasy entry level management. Employees can enter the retail world easily here and find out rather quickly if this line of work is for them. 40% off at Lids and Journey's. Opportunities to build your own team from scratch. Embroidery can be fun.

ConsSigh. Too much micro managing. No schedule flexibility. The company hires DSMs from the outside all the time so managers have to listen to people who don't even know how to run the register. When there are good managers they must jump through so many hoops to move up it isn't funny. Inventory responsibility is squarely on the shoulders of the mgr but the system is so outdated. There aren't even packing slips in boxes of shipment. We are just supposed to trust the DC. Turnover rate is way too high since the pay scale is so low. The company refuses to spend money, wether its for a remodel, pay raise, extra security measures, an extra register. Most stores have only one register! The higher ups don't take criticism well, even if it is constructive.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease listen to your store managers. Give people more money or more payroll and scheduling flexibility and your company will really flourish like you are always claiming it is.

Great beginner store for retail management

Peoria, IL

ProsFriendly work enviroment with decent communication from district managers. Customer base was always easy to work with. Offered quality products you could stand behind.

ConsNo support system in place from upper management. Offered limited product base to customers.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This company forgot it's roots...

Pittsburgh, PA

ProsEasy to be promoted to store manager due to extremely high turnover, benefits are sufficient, can be a fun environment to work in.

ConsAs store manager you are: the cashier, the stocker, the visual merchandiser, AND the manager... most time working as a manager is alone in the store with no employees, by far the lowest pay for a retail manager I have heard of, instability at district management and up, poor POS systems, lack of accountability for home office/warehouse employees, corporate policy changes constantly.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on keeping talented managers with the company by raising the pay scale... most competent employees will leave for a higher paying job as soon as it's available.

Great

Garden City Park, NY

ProsAmazing recognition in a job well dont

Consheld responsible for things that are beyond your control

Advice to Senior Managementtry to understand your employees better

Good growth, typical corporate BS involved.

Customer Service (Former Employee)
    Honolulu, HI

ProsGreat opportunity to grow, experience

ConsCorporate decision making, DM's who think they know it all.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll stores are individually unique due to their location, budget, and cash flow. Stores should be treated as an individual asset not under one big corporate umbrella.

dont work at lids in nyc

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

Pros40% off items
    some cool people

Conspto sucks
    crap pay if you advance in the company

Advice to Senior Managementget people that know how to do they job right instead having others break they back to do it.

Good starting point for retail management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsIt is a company with many locations so it is pretty easy to get into a management position not long after being hired. I watched an employee go from seasonal to Assistant Manager within a year.

ConsPay is on the low side no matter what position you have from seasonal to Store Manager but considering the work you do it is not bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll in all it was a good place to work but I would recomend changing salaries to meet the cost of living.

2.5 years wasted

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

Prosmy job was ok. people got fired a lot. not really the best job ever. pay was awful. glad I left

Conseverything. people got fired all of the time. slow workers. awful hours. horrible pay. just really glad I left now

Advice to Senior Managementdon't treat your employees like they are minimal wage material for life. my manager is still stuck there and can't get out

Hat World Ups and Downs.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
    Lafayette, IN

Pros-Starting out at Hat World as an assistant manager, I was given opportunities right away to grow within the company. I found my time there both challenging and rewarding. Until I had to leave to return to college, the district manager was ready to give me an opportunity to take over as store manager.
    -There was also a great discount, which was very good for me because I have always owned a lot of hats. All employees receive forty percent off of all purchases within the Genesco Co. (Hat World, Lids, Journeys, Journey Kids).

ConsThere are two main downsides to working at Hat World:
    -As with any retail position, there are customer issues. The customers at Hat World may be the worst I have ever dealt with in any retail position. There were often arguments and just all around rudeness from the shoppers.
    -There was also a lot of pressure on the employees to produce "numbers" even though they are not compensated with bonuses or commissions. If you had even an off day there were people immediately calling to let you know that it was unacceptable.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise Hat World management to put together a plan in which they compensate the employees of their stores for their hard work at selling accessories and passport memberships. Some form of a SPIF would create more enthusiasm and make it feel worth while after putting in a lot of hard work.

Worked for Hat World? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hat World reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hat World CEO Ken Kocher. All 36 reviews posted anonymously by Hat World employees.