Hat World

Hat World President Ken Kocher

Ken Kocher

Merchandiser

I have been working at Hat World full-time

ProsFun and laid back environment, great co-workers, volunteer opportunities, office team building

ConsNot alot of room for advancement, lack of training, compensation, workload

Boring, Sales-Heavy, Easy

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at Hat World part-time for more than a year

ProsEasy job, spend most of your time talking about hats and sports with customers, very little difficult work to accomplish.

ConsIntensely boring, very little to do, sales-focused

By far the worst upper management ever!

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Hat World full-time for less than a year

Prosnothing at all I would not recommend this company to my worst enemy!

Consif you love to be micro managed by someone who has no clue what they are doing then this is the place for you my store manager would tell us our schedules via phone and also tell us what to do via phone we were lucky if we saw him once a month.So basically we ran a very high volume store on assistant manager salary which is 9 bucks an hour no commission no bonuses so not worth it!

Advice to Senior ManagementJesus himself could not save this company

This is not the place to start a career

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Hat World full-time for more than a year

ProsDiscount on hats, and clothing

ConsThere is no work life balance with this company. You work seems like everyday, endless tasking for no reason. There arent enough hours for sales team so most of the time your left in the store alone for hours. very small management team so if you get sick or have an emergency there is no calling out unless because the other managers cant go into over time so your stuck. I had to go in with the flu after the doctor told me not to. Turn over in assist managers is crazy and in sales associates just cant keep people. Its just not the best place to work if you have been in management awhile.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at your people as more than just workers. Most of us liked the work just didnt like how the company was treating us. Pay your people more, for the amount of work you expect from store managers and associates the pay should be way more and allow for more scheduling hours so everyone can take breaks and lunches.

I would strongly consider NOT applying for a job with this Company.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Hat World full-time for more than 3 years

Prosa 40% discount on merchandise. Thats about it.

ConsMy division was acquired by Hatworld/Lids in 2010 which included the SIOPA Clubhouse Shops in NYC. About 4 months after the acquisition I was promoted to Assistant Manager. In that time I have met arrogant, lazy and incompetent District and Regional Managers and even a couple of arrogant, lazy and incompetent Store Managers. In that time, Gensesco has managed to terminate or forced good Store and Assistant Managers from SIOPA/Sports Avenue and from the company. I believe that this is a system wide policy as I have spoken to other former Managers from Sports Ave and they all were forced out by District Managers in the same manner. Audits and inventory controls are a joke. Their receiving procedures are terrible, as the system often times double receives PO documents and your On Hand numbers are always off by ridiculous amounts. There is absolutely NO warehouse accountability as jerseys and hats often times arrive to the shop dirty, and I can set my clock by how many times we receive merchandise that is from teams other than the team we are selling. I have worked as an Assistant Manager for almost 2 years and have only gotten one raise, given to me the day I was promoted. District Managers make you push multiple items and a Club Card that you have to pay for. YES, PAY FOR. Most smart retailers offer their cards for free and for an indefinite amount of time. Genesco shops offer a minimal discount for a annual fee, and the savings dont really add up. They push these cards more than merchandise! No matter how hard you work, you are not considered productive if you are not making budget, and everything that is wrong with the stores are placed directly on the shoulders of Assistant Managers. Their hiring practices are absurd, as they always look to outside the company to promote and they generally tend to hire young, lazy, incompetent kids at Associate level, who are just as fake as Upper Management is.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect, something that this company is severely lacking. Offer better and more competitive wages as anyone who has any talent would not work at the rates this company offers. Improve your inventory controls and dont accuse your employees of theft anytime a loss occurs. Fix your company philosophy, culture and values and realize that your employees are human beings and not robots.

They hire sorry managers

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Lakeland, FL

I worked at Hat World part-time for less than a year

Pros40% discount on the entire store.

ConsThey hire the sorriest managers.
The managers hog all the hours.

They treat you like idiots

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Hat World full-time for more than a year

ProsHonestly cannot find any pros that comes with working for this company. I was forced as a work horse for minimum wage for one year and it definitely was not acknowledged even a little bit.

ConsUsed to be fun environment that I was happy to come into. When genesco purchased siopa sports, everything changed for the worst. Managers treated MERCHANDISE as means to act as if everything was life or death. Raises were unheard of to ask for. Will discourage anyone I know who is interested in this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementRelax and take your job as it is. It is definitely not a serious job, stop acting like Nazis. Selling is common sense, no need to drill it into people's heads as if they are about to perform surgery.

Great for people who will never amount to anything in life.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Hat World part-time for more than a year

Pros-Awesome discount on hats! 40% off!
-Depending on the location, you get to work with and talk to hot chicks!
-Mess around all day and get paid minimum wage to do it!

Cons-DM's and above are completely out of touch with their employees and customers.
-No benefits.
-Managers can be real a-holes sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't expect a whole lot from a a bunch of kids. Yeah, there are some here and there that are looking to make something out of it, but for the most part, you guys need to stop putting so much pressure to sell your crap.

good part time job while in school

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
Lancaster, OH

I have been working at Hat World

Prosworks around schedule good DM's and good store employees and manager. Fun people. Understanding and interesting management who know you as a person

Consyou have to work by yourself a lot of the time. if you like being alone 60% of the day then your good if you like people you will be bored during the week.

Advice to Senior Managementadministratively there are a lot of things that can be improved: inventory control, marketing, promotions, raises? People need to see where growth is past the store level.

i loved it

Sales (Current Employee)
Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Hat World

Prosyour around fun people along with customers

Conson your feet all day

Advice to Senior Managementchair would be nice to seat on

Worked for Hat World? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hat World reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hat World CEO Ken Kocher. All 35 reviews posted anonymously by Hat World employees.