Hat World Reviews

Ken Kocher

1. A Lot of Fun, Great People

Former Employee - Store Manager in Peabody, MA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Peabody, MA

I worked at Hat World full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meeting nice customers on a daily basis is great! Management is very laid-back, relaxed, and cool. Dress code is loose and makes for a good experience overall.

Cons

Sometimes we did late nights and overnights.

Advice to Management

Perhaps have a better understanding of the employees' personal lives.

2. assistant manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND

Pros

You get a Discount that's about it

Cons

Everything else, management is the worst I have EVER SEEN.

Advice to Management

Treat employees better

3. Worst company I've ever worked for

Pros

Discount on product. Relationship with coworkers

Cons

PTO should not be considered as vacation time and sick time. This company finds ways to not pay there employees what there owed. They make you work with the doors open all year around even when its cold .upper management are very condescending and doesn't admit to when there wrong. . We work hard for very little pay. Been with the company for 4 year only got 1 raise. To them the only time where working is when we hit budget. That's not right. Worst company I've ever worked for

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat and talk to your employees with more respect. Consider how much work that we do. Set up some type of benefits for them.

5. No respect

Former Employee - Store Manager in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Phila, PA

I worked at Hat World full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It was a job that paid the bills.

Cons

DM's who want you to shove accessories and or embroidery down customers throats using high pressure tactics. Low pay with no chance for a raise unless you argue for one.

Advice to Management

Happy Employees = Happy Customers, Close for the Holidays - Don't open on Thanksgiving!

6. Turned my store upside down

Pros

This job is best for someone of little experience who won't have much to compare it to. If you can stand the personal attacks this job is a great first management position. Benefits are very good, as you would expect from a large company. Medical, dental, vacation and 401k opportunities are fantastic. The men who stayed this company are fantastic and I hope one day they really see what is being done with their company.

Cons

This company does everything possible to encourage turnover in personnel. It is rare to have anyone stay for very long. District Managers change every few months, no stability whatsoever. Don't expect to hear any positive feedback, negative reinforcement is the order of the day. You do well, you hear bad. You do bad, you hear the same bad. Knowing that you can never do enough makes it hard to go to work each day.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees, don't just say do...nobody buys it. If someone does something well, Let them know, especially your younger employees as it will do wonders for their happiness and therefore productivity. Establish some stability in your markets. The constant changing of DSMs never lets anybody get into a rhythm, inconsistency is what this constant change brings. I could go on. Lastly, while fun, watching VPs get over-inebriated and carried out of special events is just downright embarrassing but explains most of the above.

7. Merchandiser

I have been working at Hat World full-time

Pros

Fun and laid back environment, great co-workers, volunteer opportunities, office team building

Cons

Not alot of room for advancement, lack of training, compensation, workload

8. Boring, Sales-Heavy, Easy

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Sioux Falls, SD
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at Hat World part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy job, spend most of your time talking about hats and sports with customers, very little difficult work to accomplish.

Cons

Intensely boring, very little to do, sales-focused

9. By far the worst upper management ever!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Hat World full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

nothing at all I would not recommend this company to my worst enemy!

Cons

if you love to be micro managed by someone who has no clue what they are doing then this is the place for you my store manager would tell us our schedules via phone and also tell us what to do via phone we were lucky if we saw him once a month.So basically we ran a very high volume store on assistant manager salary which is 9 bucks an hour no commission no bonuses so not worth it!

Advice to Management

Jesus himself could not save this company

10. This is not the place to start a career

Former Employee - Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Hat World full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount on hats, and clothing

Cons

There is no work life balance with this company. You work seems like everyday, endless tasking for no reason. There arent enough hours for sales team so most of the time your left in the store alone for hours. very small management team so if you get sick or have an emergency there is no calling out unless because the other managers cant go into over time so your stuck. I had to go in with the flu after the doctor told me not to. Turn over in assist managers is crazy and in sales associates just cant keep people. Its just not the best place to work if you have been in management awhile.

Advice to Management

Look at your people as more than just workers. Most of us liked the work just didnt like how the company was treating us. Pay your people more, for the amount of work you expect from store managers and associates the pay should be way more and allow for more scheduling hours so everyone can take breaks and lunches.

I would strongly consider NOT applying for a job with this Company.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Hat World full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

a 40% discount on merchandise. Thats about it.

Cons

My division was acquired by Hatworld/Lids in 2010 which included the SIOPA Clubhouse Shops in NYC. About 4 months after the acquisition I was promoted to Assistant Manager. In that time I have met arrogant, lazy and incompetent District and Regional Managers and even a couple of arrogant, lazy and incompetent Store Managers. In that time, Gensesco has managed to terminate or forced good Store and Assistant Managers from SIOPA/Sports Avenue and from the company. I believe that this is a system wide policy as I have spoken to other former Managers from Sports Ave and they all were forced out by District Managers in the same manner. Audits and inventory controls are a joke. Their receiving procedures are terrible, as the system often times double receives PO documents and your On Hand numbers are always off by ridiculous amounts. There is absolutely NO warehouse accountability as jerseys and hats often times arrive to the shop dirty, and I can set my clock by how many times we receive merchandise that is from teams other than the team we are selling. I have worked as an Assistant Manager for almost 2 years and have only gotten one raise, given to me the day I was promoted. District Managers make you push multiple items and a Club Card that you have to pay for. YES, PAY FOR. Most smart retailers offer their cards for free and for an indefinite amount of time. Genesco shops offer a minimal discount for a annual fee, and the savings dont really add up. They push these cards more than merchandise! No matter how hard you work, you are not considered productive if you are not making budget, and everything that is wrong with the stores are placed directly on the shoulders of Assistant Managers. Their hiring practices are absurd, as they always look to outside the company to promote and they generally tend to hire young, lazy, incompetent kids at Associate level, who are just as fake as Upper Management is.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect, something that this company is severely lacking. Offer better and more competitive wages as anyone who has any talent would not work at the rates this company offers. Improve your inventory controls and dont accuse your employees of theft anytime a loss occurs. Fix your company philosophy, culture and values and realize that your employees are human beings and not robots.

RSS Feed </> Embed