Hatch Mott MacDonald Reviews

Nicholas DeNichilo

1. Great People

Current Employee - Engineer I
    Current Employee - Engineer I

I have been working at Hatch Mott MacDonald full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership is great. Supervisors do their job while spending the time to prepare you for the next step. Benefits are some of the best. Having offices all over North America and two parent companies all over the world, one could find various opportunities.

Cons

Promotions seem a bit slow, but little room to complain. I have been awarded some sort of a raise for the past 3-4 years now.

Spend more time visiting with staff thorughout the week. Check on progress overall, not just your specific project. Also, do your research when appraising an employee at the end of the year. Most office managers (the appraisers) do not work directly with lower level staff.

Company is stuck in the 19th century.

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Hatch Mott MacDonald full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good starter job for a young engineer who is trying to get there feet wet.

Cons

During my time at Hatch Mott Macdonald in the pipelines division I felt like everything is based up on the Good Old Boy system. Project managers worked long and unnecessary hours. My take is if you are putting in 70 hrs a week then maybe you are unfit to handle the task. The project managers in south pipelines display very child like behavior and are very unprofessional. All they do in that office is chew tobacco and shoot guns. It's like the wild wild west. This place should be on Forbes Worst places to work.

3. Not for People-Persons

Former Intern - Administrative Assistant
    Former Intern - Administrative Assistant

I worked at Hatch Mott MacDonald as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

My manager was very flexible with schedules -- as long as you got your work done, he didn't care when you came in or when you left. Most everyone is very capable, and you can learn a lot just from talking to other employees at the office.

Cons

You don't get to interact with the rest of the office much, most of your communication is conducted through email, and very functional at that. It's easy to become introverted due to your surroundings. However, people you do talk to are all very friendly, because everyone wishes they talked to more people.

There are a lot of publications regarding company benefits to employees, but it all seemed very trivial. As an employee I felt more forgotten and left out of the loop, so I didn't feel very motivated coming to work. It would be better to host more social events rather than send out constant newsletters that no one reads.

5. Manager

I worked at Hatch Mott MacDonald

Pros

Highly networked company with manifold revenue streams. .I liked Nick DeNichilo on a personal level but have to give thumbs down as he endorsed the culture. Sorry Nick.

Cons

Too many groups offering similar services. This leads to a poor environment for both employee and customer. The time and material model leads to inefficiencies. Luckily, the client base are utility companies that are notoriously managed by people severely lacking in education. This is a private company servicing a government supported industry- enough said.

Eliminate competition between groups. Got to Firm fixed contracts and clean up.

Rule by intimidation and rampant sexism

Current Employee - Project Controls Specialist
    Current Employee - Project Controls Specialist

I have been working at Hatch Mott MacDonald full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits package. Great ideas, poor follow thru. Potential is there.

Cons

This is a grueling sweat shop with micromanaging abusive bosses. Pick apart everything you do.

Provide real time for your employees to train up on procedures. Management needs to take interpersonal communication classes. Rule with an iron fist.
    Project Managers think billers are their personal assistants. The rudest bunch i have ever worked with.

7. Project Engineer

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Florham Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Florham Park, NJ

I have been working at Hatch Mott MacDonald full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours, Great Company & Social Values

Cons

Less oppourtunities for advancement and promotions

Need flexibility for promotions and advancements

8. Horrible management but nice coworkers

Former Employee - Engineer IV in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Engineer IV in New York, NY

I worked at Hatch Mott MacDonald full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Big interesting projects and nice coworkers

Cons

horrible management in NYC office

communication

9. Better than most firms, some elements of big corporation and some of a smaller firm

Current Employee - Geologist in Iselin, NJ
    Current Employee - Geologist in Iselin, NJ

I have been working at Hatch Mott MacDonald full-time (more than a year)

Pros

HMM is better than most firms overall. As a mid-size company, it has some elements of a big corporation including a large client base and diversity of projects, extensive in-house expertise, many offices which work collaboratively on large projects, and legitimate emphasis on company-wide professional development of each individual's skills and talents. Being part of the corporate family with Hatch and Mott MacDonald also contributes to these big-corporation pros. Positive elements that are more characteristic of smaller firm include supervisors and even high-level executives who generally listen and mentor your career, an atmosphere that can be rewarding for self-motivated workers, and good communication within groups/subdivisions such that you know everyone/everyone knows you. There are many staff who have been at the company for decades, and they've been promoted for their good work, which is promising for someone who might want to build a career here.

Cons

Some negative elements of big corporation are present at HMM, which include tons of non-billable staff and overhead expenses, which results in high multipliers for billable/wage-earning staff, who are also started off at very low salaries for the beginning of their careers. There are tons of administrative forms to fill out which take away from productive work time, and a fair amount of bureaucracy, internal competition/client hoarding, and status quo/business as usual attitudes. Some of these dynamics are exacerbated or caused by the corporate family structure, which is by no means a democracy (Mott MacDonald seems to wield the most influence). Being only a mid-size firm I think that we do miss out on some really massive, profitable, interesting jobs, especially in the practice areas of the less strong divisions/subdivisions. There's room for the company to grow on these topics. The fact that so many staff have been promoted makes the company a bit top-heavy, and there is currently an issue with cycling through entry-level staff, who have no room to move up to mid-level. This could be a self-correcting problem if there is a wave of retirement.

Find a way to stand up to Mott MacDonald when what they have implemented is not the best for our company, or when they have attempted to shape our business without the benefit of our local knowledge. Take seriously the constant exodus of staff who want to move to mid-level or higher but can't. Take into consideration the actual cost of living when determining salaries for entry-level staff.

10. Good Experience

I have been working at Hatch Mott MacDonald full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Management is very supportive of career goals and encourages continuing education. Bright and talented people to work with.

Cons

Projects are not as diverse as one might anticipate for a company of this size.
    Project size is on the small side overall.

Articulate a clear path for promotions/career advances.
    Continue what you are doing, I think management is doing a good job overall.

11. great team to work with

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Jose, CA

I worked at Hatch Mott MacDonald part-time (less than a year)

Pros

professional, respectful working environment, everyone is very helpful

Cons

can't really think of anything