Hatch Mott MacDonald

Nicholas DeNichilo

Project Engineer

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Florham Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Florham Park, NJ

I have been working at Hatch Mott MacDonald full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible Hours, Great Company & Social Values

Cons

Less oppourtunities for advancement and promotions

Need flexibility for promotions and advancements

Great People

Current Employee - Engineer I
    Current Employee - Engineer I

I have been working at Hatch Mott MacDonald full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership is great. Supervisors do their job while spending the time to prepare you for the next step. Benefits are some of the best. Having offices all over North America and two parent companies all over the world, one could find various opportunities.

Cons

Promotions seem a bit slow, but little room to complain. I have been awarded some sort of a raise for the past 3-4 years now.

Spend more time visiting with staff thorughout the week. Check on progress overall, not just your specific project. Also, do your research when appraising an employee at the end of the year. Most office managers (the appraisers) do not work directly with lower level staff.

Horrible management but nice coworkers

Former Employee - Engineer IV in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Engineer IV in New York, NY

I worked at Hatch Mott MacDonald full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Big interesting projects and nice coworkers

Cons

horrible management in NYC office

communication

Better than most firms, some elements of big corporation and some of a smaller firm

Current Employee - Geologist in Iselin, NJ
    Current Employee - Geologist in Iselin, NJ

I have been working at Hatch Mott MacDonald full-time (more than an year)

Pros

HMM is better than most firms overall. As a mid-size company, it has some elements of a big corporation including a large client base and diversity of projects, extensive in-house expertise, many offices which work collaboratively on large projects, and legitimate emphasis on company-wide professional development of each individual's skills and talents. Being part of the corporate family with Hatch and Mott MacDonald also contributes to these big-corporation pros. Positive elements that are more characteristic of smaller firm include supervisors and even high-level executives who generally listen and mentor your career, an atmosphere that can be rewarding for self-motivated workers, and good communication within groups/subdivisions such that you know everyone/everyone knows you. There are many staff who have been at the company for decades, and they've been promoted for their good work, which is promising for someone who might want to build a career here.

Cons

Some negative elements of big corporation are present at HMM, which include tons of non-billable staff and overhead expenses, which results in high multipliers for billable/wage-earning staff, who are also started off at very low salaries for the beginning of their careers. There are tons of administrative forms to fill out which take away from productive work time, and a fair amount of bureaucracy, internal competition/client hoarding, and status quo/business as usual attitudes. Some of these dynamics are exacerbated or caused by the corporate family structure, which is by no means a democracy (Mott MacDonald seems to wield the most influence). Being only a mid-size firm I think that we do miss out on some really massive, profitable, interesting jobs, especially in the practice areas of the less strong divisions/subdivisions. There's room for the company to grow on these topics. The fact that so many staff have been promoted makes the company a bit top-heavy, and there is currently an issue with cycling through entry-level staff, who have no room to move up to mid-level. This could be a self-correcting problem if there is a wave of retirement.

Find a way to stand up to Mott MacDonald when what they have implemented is not the best for our company, or when they have attempted to shape our business without the benefit of our local knowledge. Take seriously the constant exodus of staff who want to move to mid-level or higher but can't. Take into consideration the actual cost of living when determining salaries for entry-level staff.

great team to work with

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Jose, CA

I worked at Hatch Mott MacDonald part-time (less than an year)

Pros

professional, respectful working environment, everyone is very helpful

Cons

can't really think of anything

Good Experience

I have been working at Hatch Mott MacDonald full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Management is very supportive of career goals and encourages continuing education. Bright and talented people to work with.

Cons

Projects are not as diverse as one might anticipate for a company of this size.
    Project size is on the small side overall.

Articulate a clear path for promotions/career advances.
    Continue what you are doing, I think management is doing a good job overall.

Relatively low pay

I have been working at Hatch Mott MacDonald full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Growing, opportunity, not obsessed with policing employees, good benefits

Cons

No pay scales or typical performance markers so constant struggles for pay, big titles for inexperienced people, lots of brown nosing for promotions

I don't have advice for management. Management inexperience is the main problem. I don't see how it will ever change.

A good starter job for pipeline projects.

I worked at Hatch Mott MacDonald full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pipeline clients, steady supply of small facility projects. Most co-workers were humble, competent and hardworkers.

Cons

Upper managers are not college educated, exhibit their tattoos, and some practice their tobacco/snuff spitting "skills" during meetings. My dismissal was abrupt, without prior indication of any problems, and without respect. The hire/fire decisions come from the home office in NJ by executives who are disconnected from the local offices and have no personal knowledge of the employees in the remote offices.

Hire only professionals in management roles. Limit/discourage/disallow tattoos and tobacco use indoors for all managers. Do not place engineers in roles outside their experience and training. Do not reward vulgar behavior with high grade and salary.

Good Bad and Ugly

Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Hatch Mott MacDonald full-time (more than an year)

Pros

HMM is a financially solid company with a good foothold and great clients.

Cons

Some upper management holds grudges and some are power hungry. The NE has a better upper management team, but the Houston area is tainted. They have a very high turn over rate on high valued employees. If someone disagrees with the leadership, they are toast and may as well look for another job.

Do not take credit, but give credit where its do. Acknowledge and Appreciate your good employees and get rid of your crony's that you take care of over your producers "the good o'le boy policy".
    Learn from your mistakes and remove the troubled leaders that you have who is creating such a high turnover in your company. Upper management needs to commit and lead by preventing the troubled leaders from overturning and convincing you to change everything they don't personally like. Step up and take the bull by the horns! It cold be a fantastic company, but these things must change.

Good

Current Employee - Senior Civil Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Civil Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Hatch Mott MacDonald full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Collegues, chance to work on prestige projects , good salary and benefits, variety of projects

Cons

At a certain level you have to make your own opportunities,people tend to guard their information. Often times people try to do things outside of their speciality in an effort to avoid sharing project hours.