Hathaway Sycamores

Updated October 13, 2014
Updated October 13, 2014
3.4

William P Martone

My experience has been full of challenging work. It stays busy and I enjoy working with my families

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Hathaway Sycamores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great to work with the families and helping them stay together, or get back together and being resourceful. It brings great joy to see families learning how to grow together by putting in place and practing the steps to help them succeed in life. It is a wonderful feeling to know that you have made a difference

Cons

Nonprofit-So trying to get an increase in pay is not always easy. I understand every company has a budget and must have a strategic plan when it comes to pay raises, but since we deal with the county, although we are not a county contracted job, it has an impact on our money.

To keep an open door for communication with the employees, and to really listen to the needs and to do better at meeting them.

Over 7 years: would have quit each year if I could have.

Current Employee - Clinician in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Clinician in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Hathaway Sycamores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

MFT Interns don't have many attractive job opportunities, so finding a position with an ok salary and benefits is appealing as one gathers hours towards licensure.

Cons

It's all about the money- and I'm not talking about your $. The reality is that this nonprofit has a one-track mind: have you billed enough this week?

If the answer is no, that you haven't met their high billing expectations, you will be micromanaged until you do so. If the answer is yes, it's unlikely you've stopped working - it's impossible to keep a decent work-life balance and meet their expectations.

HR and payroll are the most incompetent departments, and that's saying a lot: I have had my paycheck $, time off accrual, and benefits screwed up by them more times than I can count. Each time they have attempted to fix it after I caught their errors (which have been major - most recently, they deleted 1 month of my earned time off from their system. Another time they forgot to give me benefits after I signed up for them. I could go on..). Those poor people who don't check their pay stubs for accuracy!

The outpatient and school-based programs are the most well-run, and the Wraparound program is the least well-run. I can't speak for the group home, but it seems pretty poorly run as well.

I've stayed at Hathaway Sycamores for 7 years because I didn't have viable alternatives (I figured that all DMH jobs would be similar), and I have valued the kids I have served. But, I strongly believe that the billing and paperwork demands on DMH agencies becomes the primary focus of the work, to the detriment of the clients and the morale of the employees.

I also strongly believe that this agency will not change their ways. Despite significant record-lows on the employee satisfaction surveys this year, the executive leadership team has made no positive changes.

To conclude: if you're looking for a DMH-agency mental health position, you're going to find the same challenges wherever you go (mismanagement, excessive and repetitive paperwork, and an emphasis on billing at the expense of any semblance of self-care). At this large agency, you might find a job that will get you hours towards licensure and benefits. You'll also feel inspired to serve kids who are resilient despite incredible adversity. But you will not be supported, and your quality of life will be very poor, particularly if you are not working in one of the few programs with consistent working hours.

Wonderful people are drawn to this kind of work, and I enjoyed most of my coworkers immensely. But Hathaway-Sycamores: I can't wait to quit you.

Listen to your employees and their low morale: they need to believe that you care as much about clients and employees as billing.

Also, your HR and payroll departments have been a running joke in my family for 7 years because of how many mistakes they have made. That's a bad sign.

Good salary and benefits but unrealistic expectations.

Former Employee - Clinician (Therapist) in Pacoima, CA
    Former Employee - Clinician (Therapist) in Pacoima, CA

I worked at Hathaway Sycamores full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The training is remarkable. Salary and benefits are good. Most direct supervisors provide needed support. They pay for driving and cellular phone usage. They provide bonuses if you meet billing expectations per week.

Cons

Their billable expectations are extremely high so in order to meet them, an employee must work on average 50 hours per week and get paid for 40. Upper management gets very high salaries while the clinicians (who do all the work) get an average income.

Provide better support and more realistic expectations from your team members.

Bullies and Nepotism

I have been working at Hathaway Sycamores full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Competative benefits package; flexible schedule

Cons

Once you're considered on the management radar your work life can be a nightmare. Their mission statement does not carry over onto employee satisfaction. If you speak up about things being unfair, you are pushed out of the company. The executive leadership team is more concerned about the awards they can add to their resume's than employee satisfaction. They pretend to care, but strip people of their dignity and happiness. They proclaim to be supportive of "self-care" and do not create an environment in which to gain any.
    Almost every therapist is forced to work after hours and on the weekends because there is not enough time in the day to complete the work they require. There is not enough support for the amount of work-load. Compensation is excessively below industry standards.
    The only way to be promoted is if you're "liked" or know someone who can put in a good word.

Stop trying to use the staff as your scapegoat to push your own agenda.

Satisfactory

Former Employee - R B S Facilitator in Altadena, CA
    Former Employee - R B S Facilitator in Altadena, CA

I worked at Hathaway Sycamores full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Learned alot about my position and the field of which I was apart of

Cons

This is an Agency that is NON-PROFIT,and if you don't reach the numbers they let you know it's about PROFIT

Take more interest in your co-workers

Great Place to Work Helping Children and Families!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Hathaway Sycamores full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Treatment philosophy is amazing, supportive environment, great training.

Cons

Large company that has grown and sometimes lacks communication.

Must be more visible at all locations.