HauteLook

Updated November 24, 2014
Updated November 24, 2014
3.2

Terry Boyle

Growing pains ensure this company has a hard time retaining talent

I worked at HauteLook

Pros

Fast growing company with more stability than other flash sale sites like it
    Free cupcakes
    Normal 9-6 schedule

Cons

Salaries are not competitive with industry standards
    Promotions are based on personal relationships rather than merit
    Performance review process a joke
    Extremely high turnover means that the longer term employees are the least competent
    Young workforce means that employees are often inmature and inappropriate, without intervention from management or HR
    Very few opportunities for growth or development
    Very little vacation time- in order to have a vacation many employees take unpaid days
    Next to no variety - you'll be working on the same projects day in and day out

Beef up your HR department to effectively recruit, retain and support higher quality talent

HauteLook has grown fast and so has my career!

I have been working at HauteLook

Pros

Tons of opportunity for upward mobility.
    Early access to products.
    Monthly fun activities/catered food.
    Great location, central to everyone and everything.
    Upper management that shares everything, (even financials) with everyone.
    Free shipping and free returns on all orders.
    Compensation at or above market.

Cons

Two-Three weeks vacation a year and short on holidays.
    Only once a year employee discount (and no Nordstrom discount).

Give employee discounts and more days off!

A fast-moving company...with little opportunity for advancement.

I worked at HauteLook

Pros

-Occasional catered lunches
    -Despite little paid vacation time, most departments are flexible about unpaid time off when necessary
    -Lots of company growth makes for a stable work environment compared to other start-ups

Cons

-Most salaries are below market value
    -Little opportunity for upward mobility
    -Only two weeks of paid vacation (three after 3 years), and few paid holidays
    -No employee discount, just free shipping (but only on select items)
    -The internal promotion process is questionable at best, straight-up nepotism at worst
    -Employee initiative and innovation are neither encouraged nor rewarded; it's nearly impossible implement new projects or changes below a management level

Replace the cupcakes and catered lunches with base wages that are reflective of market value, and create incentives that are geared toward building employee engagement and retention.

This is a fast moving, intellectually challenging, state of the art environment full of fun people!

Current Employee - IT Team
    Current Employee - IT Team

I have been working at HauteLook

Pros

Hautelook is a very fast paced, IT and Sales driven company where initiative, hard work, and intelligence are rewarded. Despite the fast pace, the atmosphere is very casual and low pressure thanks to the personal style of all the department heads and managers. HL attracts top talent with good wages and fair benefits and we are adding employees during these hard economic times. The people are mostly very young and energetic. The workspace is open and modern, the location near great entertainment, food and housing and there is a train station right in front of the HQ. The company is California Chic in every way.

Cons

With the rapid growth, roll out of new technologies and acquisition by Nordstrom, things are a bit chaotic sometimes.

To have us become promoters, give monthly allowance to each employee to buy from our website and give the employees shirts and hoodies with company logo and slogan.

I love working at HauteLook!

I have been working at HauteLook

Pros

Ample opportunities for employee development/advancement
    Upper management truly values employees
    Laid-back atmosphere
    Flexible work schedule
    Competitive salary
    Fun company lunches
    Stable company with job security

Cons

Not too big of a deal, but it would be nice if the company observed a few more holidays.

I started working at HauteLook in the company's first year, so I have seen it change and grow over the last few years. The company's leadership has done an excellent job of managing this change so that the company continues to be a great place to work.

Great place to start a career and develop with a growing company

I have been working at HauteLook

Pros

- Company has a very youthful, energetic vibe from management level all the way down through the staff level.
    - There are numerous examples of people who have hired in at entry level and worked their way up the ranks and into new areas of the company.
    - Co-workers are very hardworking and committed to doing a quality job. People are also a lot of fun to socialize with.
    - Senior management has high but realistic expectations.
    - Acquisition by Nordstrom provided additional financial stability and opportunities for the company, but it still maintains a fun start-up atmosphere.
    - Employees believe in the products/services we sell and always stay focused on improving our customer experience.

Cons

- The start-up environment could be challenging to individuals who require clearly defined standards and expectations to be successful. People who are most successful here are very adaptable and thrive on change.
    - As a growing company, most areas are probably still short staffed. Thus, relatively long hours are the reality for most management and professional employees.
    - We should offer some type of employee discount on merchandise or offer sample sales for employees at certain times during the year.

Good company with some silly politics but good future

I have been working at HauteLook

Pros

Hautelook provides many opportunites to grow in an exciting industry that is constantly changing. The company is fun and enables employees to try a lot of different things.

Cons

The upper management is sometimes territorial. Some product managers have a very inflated sense of how important they are and talk endlessly in meetings to make themselves sound like they are contributing so much when all they do is email other people to tell them to do stuff.

They internalize top level consultants to save money then throw them away when the job is done

Current Employee - IT Staff in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - IT Staff in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at HauteLook

Pros

Exciting, fast growing company with a lot of fun, energetic young people. Lots of opportunity for advancement. Central downtown location.

Cons

HR is heartless. Think Catbert the Evil Director of HR from Dilbert. Not really funny. They hire the best and the brightest to solve really tough problems, don't listen to them, then when the job is finally done, they lay them off and try to make it seem like their fault. Watch out!

Start caring about your people and the bottom line will improve not the other way around. Read some management books: People are your greatest asset,

Good place for experience, not career

Former Employee - Member Care Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Member Care Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at HauteLook

Pros

Not micro managed, very relaxed work environment and staff works well together. Fun opportunities for earning credits and lunches and paid time off

Cons

Same work every day can get mundane, customers can be really rude and mean, normally a fast paced environment which can be stressful

You can be sure many of those 5star reviews are HL sponsored and not a sincere attempt to describe the true culture

I worked at HauteLook

Pros

wish I could give 2 1/2 stars because its not the worst place to work. The people are generally nice. Straight 9-6 not a ton of overtime needed. Company has workplace outings and employee meetings which are a sincere attempt at creating a open, fun team oriented environment.

Cons

Company was bought by Nordstrom and there was a level of unspoken tension about the acquisition that made the work environment a bit oppressive when I was there. The pay is on the lower side and consequently there is a lot of less experienced employees running the place (probably because of the pay) which makes for a slightly juvenile workplace. There isn't a lot of experienced mentors for the younger employees.

The worst part in my opinion is they do not really value, attract or retain really talented people and the best talent systematically leaves, (one way or another.) I worked in the creative dept which is basically a production mill. My boss was s a competent manager but definitely towing the company line of mediocrity for the sake of a job. Really talented Photographers, Designers will not be happy here and will not last long. I noticed this in other departments as well as an unusually amount of respected employees announced they where moving on. Most of the people that I worked with have gone on to bigger and better things as well.

Bottom Line:
     the turnover track record speaks for itself. I've never worked a place where I've seen so many people voluntarily leave in such a short time. This is a starter job, stop gap or place to settle. Anyone with strong talent and ambition know what your getting yourself into

hire, listen to and pay for talent