HauteLook

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Terry Boyle

Excellent Tech Team

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe tech team is one of the best I've had the pleasure of working with. Open source shop that strongly encourages giving back to the community. A lot of 'A' Players.

ConsNot very many perks for a tech company though it's getting better. Vacation time could be better. Medical benefits are so-so.

Great place for your first job!

Copywriter II (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThey're really great on keeping employees involved with the company. They host happy hours for staff, bring in bagels every 1st of the month, have quarterly all-staff meetings with food, games and prizes, and the company is growing pretty fast now that they are apart of the Nordstrom family.

ConsToo many kinks in the chain. They hire all entry-levels which causes way too many discrepancies. They are slaves to the brands they sale..meaning that OTS's can get sent whenever they feel like it, new style can be added during a sale and etc...causing the workers to be stressed and highly annoyed ALL the time! Also the money they make with the salary they dish out does not add up.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo it! If you want to be able to learn as you go, this is definitely the place because no one knows what they're really doing anyway.

Deeply Dissatisfying Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsStability
    Nature of work
    Location
    Casual atmosphere
    Benefits

ConsExtremely low employee morale
    Cliques & favoritism are rampant
    Unprofessional & immature work environment

This review is for the production department in particular. I can't speak for other departments. It's run by a tight-knit group who've been with the company since it formed in the 00's. They are the "clique" (aside from the stylists which come with their own headaches).

They will go the extra mile to let you know this department is their world and anything they say goes. I'm a very amicable person and thought I'd do fine. But when they discovered I wasn't willing to kiss ass or pander to their egos, the jig was up. It wasn't long before they found a whole slew of dubious charges to write me up on. Their way of the sharpening the ax, I suppose.

If you are the Machiavellian type who excels in this sort of environment, you'll do just fine. However, most of the new employees I worked with walked around on eggshells and were scared of their own shadow. You really have to jump through hoops... of fire. Beware.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess favoritism. More emphasis on all employees. Not just your pals who you began working with.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

FUN Company!

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Pros-working on the latest technology
    -helping out with Nordstrom and their upcoming tech projects
    -lots of pretty girls!
    -perfect location in downtown LA and right across from the Staples Center

Cons-long hours if working in tech
    -work space needs to be updated and renovated since we are growing

Start-up with great corporate backing

Pros-Acquired by Nordstrom (employee discount)
    -Laid back atmosphere
    -Meet different people from different walks of life
    -Building more projects for ecommerce with HauteLook and Nordstrom

Cons-Not enough holidays and time off for employees
    -Pay not competitive unless working with technology department

Sweet and Extremely Sour

Associate II (Former Employee) Fontana, CA

ProsThe parties and process are simple to learn and discount.

ConsManagers at the FC take credit for the ideas and accomplishments of their supervisors. The managers have no clue as to many of the process on the floor. They set unrealistic goals and KPIs. The HR Manager does not follow through on complaints made to her. When you make a complaint she misinterprets what is told her. The HR Manager and other Operation Managers including the Director of the FC target certain associates and they are never fair and consistent with discipline.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice to offer. They wouldn't listen anyways if I gave it to them.

An real review rather than a Hautelook social media post

IT Worker (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsCasual dress code and formerly flexible hours

ConsPay is 25%-30% below market. They claim to be a startup after 6 years and act like employees are a dime a dozen.

Advice to Senior ManagementPointless meetings, 3 managers for every technically skilled worker, multiple solutions for every problem which is confusing, technical expertise and advice is pushed back or completely disregarded, the org chart has more chiefs than Indians, the IT Department hires from outside rather than promoting from within and the few who are promoted are promoted based on their ability to kiss ass rather than their technical expertise and accomplishments. They don't recognize true talent, or worse they are threatened by it and attempt to discount it.

Casual Cool Atmosphere

ProsCasual dress
    Laidback atmosphere
    Growing company
    Opportunities to grow
    Company cares about employees

ConsMore recognition within individual departments
    Compensation is competitive, but raises could be higher/more frequent based off performance

Good for Getting Your Feet Wet...and that's it

Copywriter (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsIt's great if you're new in the industry and need to get experience, backed by Nordstrom, employee discounts

ConsPoor management all around, it functions like a sweat shop practically. As a writer there is no room for creativity at ALL, also there really isn't much potential for moving up, very high turnover and poor employee morale. They're growing at an exponential rate which is good for business, but not employees. Only plan to put in a year or 2 there.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on giving employees more incentive to be promoted, plus pay better. All wages are well below industry average.

same thing everyday -all day

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPart of a big upcoming business in E-Commerce and Flash sales- Nordstrom Conmpany

Consno privacy to work on projects and concentrate

Advice to Senior Managementmake changes as required

Worked for HauteLook? Contribute to the Community!