Havas Worldwide Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Havas Worldwide Global Chief Executive Officer Andrew Benett
Andrew Benett

Pros
  • great people working there but in the end that's not enough (in 7 reviews)

• good benefits, some nice people (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Communication is extremely poor between upper management and the "worker bees" (in 10 reviews)

• Expected to work very long hours, no overtime, communication between managers can sometimes be unclear (in 8 reviews)

Definite Pros and Cons

I have been working at Havas Worldwide full-time

Pros

Fun environment, many down to earth people, lots of creative minds

Cons

promotions/raises are not consistent and recognition on hard work is limited

2. Good company, but growth is stagnant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Havas Worldwide

Pros

-Beautiful and Modern office
    -Free breakfast on Mondays
    -free drinks on Thursdays
    -Young/millennial type crowd
    -casual atmosphere
    -good work/life balance

Cons

There's no real sense of hierarchy. Also the company can be a little disorganized as far as training is concerned. So many "directors" but not a clear sense of direction. I guess open office space is a new trend but the downside is that there is no privacy.

The work I do is also not challenging. A homeless man with some type of computer skills can do what I do. I don't really get the sense that internal promotion is a thing here either. Their "temp to perm" department is horrible in the sense that they keep someone a temp for like 6 months. Which is a red flag at best.

Advice to Management

Give a better sense of direction for your employees

3. Very Good

Former Employee - Senior Art Director in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Art Director in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Havas Worldwide (More than a year)

Pros

Worldwide communication network good place to work, benefits and pay

Cons

Worldwide communication network good place to work, benefits and pay, nice team

5. Great atmoshpere

I have been working at Havas Worldwide

Pros

Great benefits and perks. Relaxed atmosphere. The office is very open concept and collaborative.

Cons

Sometimes hard to determine hierarchy.

Beware of Internships and ad sharks

Former Employee - Traffic Coordinator in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Traffic Coordinator in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Havas Worldwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and summer fridays

Cons

I started as an intern who had just graduated, upon my arrival from another state, I was told that there was no longer room in the department I was meant to be in and what my degree was in. They didn't bother to move freshmen/soph interns around and just dropped me with a new agency. When hiring time came up I was overlooked for those roles and when i did get hired in a differ role and department my supervisor was pretty prejudice and homophobic. HR can't really look out for you and the environment is not worth the stress. I would not reccommend this to recent graduates.

Advice to Management

Evaluate management and send them to LGBT and racial sensitivity training as well as work hard to build th youth culture in your company. We are the new wave of creativity

7. Extroverts only

Former Employee - Creative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Creative in New York, NY

I worked at Havas Worldwide full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good IT support, equipment and software for creative work. Competent studio and production departments. Hours and time off generally excellent, overtime is paid in some positions. A little diversity in staff.

Cons

Open office plan is over-bright and loud, the assembly line of desks is factory-like. The location is bleak and far from anything you might want during your lunch hour. You will never get a raise. If you do a good job quietly you'll get increasingly worse assignments.

The glass is half full, and sometimes there is no glass

Former Employee - Associate Creative Director-Art in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Creative Director-Art in New York, NY

I worked at Havas Worldwide

Pros

The people are the best asset of the company, a great culture, and free drinks on Wednesdays. Occasionally you'll get a creative brief that really sets you on fire...

Cons

The open plan space is a NIGHTMARE...super long tables that don't promote creativity, just anger. There's no where to think in the building. The buildings sits right off the nasty end of Canal Street, at the entrance to the Holland Tunnel...ick. There's no one to go a just grab lunch...sometimes Seamless takes foreverrrrrrr.

Advice to Management

Learn to see the talent you have under your roof, and try and make working conditions there not feel like people are working on a factory floor...

It is what you make it

Former Employee - Strategic Planner in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Strategic Planner in New York, NY

I worked at Havas Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Came here from small social/digital shop strictly to be learn more Planning, work under great Creative minds, and reputable clients. I received more than I expected - strong Planning skills on writing briefs and how to discover Big Idea campaigns, worked with great people who knew their stuff, (for the most part) great output, and budding friendships with people I came to respect and loved working with.

The Creatives I worked with were just awesome! Yes, most were traditional but the copy, visuals, and ideas were TREMENDOUS! It's unfortunate some of the work became watered down due to agency leadership and clients.

Cons

HUGE challenge for me was this place did not understand digital and social, which is understandable for a large traditional shop. But I was shocked at the level of mis-education from senior leadership. Whenever I spoke up, I was given "you don't know anything and not a Director so keep quiet" look. But I was hired for my expertise in this subject. No comment.

Not much career development so you have to figure out how to leverage the people and tools around you. I had spoken with the Department head about my goals, and she allowed me to lead key projects on my own and volunteered me for New Biz to gain more exposure.

There were so many hidden gems in the UX, Creative Technology, and Production that were extremely underutilized. Most of them left after me.

The level of politics at this place is unreal. Mind you, small agencies are no picnic. Things have gotten worse from what others have told me.

Culture. For my first couple weeks, I left isolated from my team and department. The layout at the old office didn't help. But still, there should've been an initiative to introduce new people and help them feel connected (e.g., buddy or mentor). It wasn't until I was 6-8m in that I felt part of the organization.

Below industry rate and no raises. Everyone there knew I was underpaid. Despite performing, no attempt was made to fix it. Lesson learned. This is not a Havas thing, it's an agency thing.

Advice to Management

Not sure much can be said to Management if with all the people jumping ship, nothing has been done to fix the problem. I had heard great things about EURORSCG, and I was there for some of its last days. What it is now is sad.

So advice for people thinking about joining: 1) Come with a clear end-goal! How will this place help you achieve it or get you on the right path to do it?

2) Do your research on pay + equipment, and stick to the high range! They need digital talent and will pay high for it. I've heard of people who haven't had a review or raise in years. Look at the offer and ask yourself, can I live on this for 2-5yrs? Demand for a MAC, and make sure it's in your contract.

3) Find a hiding spot for lunch, coffee, and sanity check that's away from the office and unknown to coworkers.

4) Develop your core group of friends. Seek out to know who are the lifers (figure out first if they are a good seed or bad one) and the actual workers (people who know their stuff) and get to know them. They will keep you motivated, and through many bad days, will offer you advice and warnings on who to watch-out for; and most importantly, fun outings!

Cost-Cutting Accounting drives this place

Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Havas Worldwide

Pros

You have access to some real old-school advertising people (however those are slowly, slowly getting edged out.) This company was actually started by advertising classic, Jerry Della Femina and so some of that energy still reverberates, although almost totally put out. Nice building.

Cons

Agency seems to have lost its way with bringing in people who do not understand conceptual advertising but are more from the digital world. The benefits are horrible. Wait, let me put it in the right accent: HARR-UB-ELL. Bad. Totally cost-cutting accounting benefits. You'll never see a raise unless you threaten to quit. Don't be old or old and female. Agency is agist and sexist to the extreme.

Advice to Management

Don't put your eggs in one basket. Care for your employees. Stop treating them like widgets that you can just throw out. Don't be so cost-cutting accounting; start thinking about what value you give to clients. Cut some of those big salaries of the guys at the lead.

11. Not in a good place at this time

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Havas Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Opportunity to learn a lot
    - There are handfuls of talented people that are great to work with
    - Good work/life balance
    - Office is very cool

Cons

- Revolving door of talent
    - Losing business constantly and can't win any new business
    - Technology is an embarrassment how bad it is
    - Spending in the wrong areas (furniture > employee satisfaction)
    - Salary on lower end of industry and good luck getting a raise/promotion
    - Lot of empty promises on things happening
    - Poor morale

Advice to Management

Too much focus on fluff and not enough on substance. Hire people do actually do the work instead of a bunch of senior level people that can only talk high level. And pay attention to the people actually doing the work. Their happiness will go miles to solving many of the issues.

RSS Feed </> Embed