Havasu Regional Medical Center

1. Nurse Extern

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Havasu Regional Medical Center as an intern

Pros

Main employer in this city.

Cons

Telemetry RN to patient ratio is 6:1.

2. Worst hospital to work at

Current Intern - Radiology in Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Current Intern - Radiology in Lake Havasu City, AZ

I have been working at Havasu Regional Medical Center as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was decent for my field.

Cons

Director never available. Very dirty. Staff is rude. Staff constantly fights and no one to supervise. Staff can wear what they want. HIPPA violations!!!!!! Directors of departments are not knowledgeable in that department. Company has a new CEO if not every yr then every other yr. The supervisors become scape goats for incompetent directors. Go some where else. Don't get stuck in that HavaHell desert.

Advice to Management

Hire credentialed directors. Not directors who once oversaw a department but really had fully trained manager. Make sure directors are held accountable and for goodness sake clean the damn hospital. Oh yeah and get that new Oncologist out of there he is worthless.

3. Great, caring staff members!

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Havasu Regional Medical Center as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

wonderful coworkers, easy going environment, great location, actually get to eat lunch most days, mostly pleasant patients, small regional hospital environment

Cons

computer charting is cumbersome; management really caters to physicians sometimes with little to no regard as to how it will effect nursing staff

Advice to Management

Consider how decisions effect nursing staff and ancillary staff and do not kowtow to physician just because they are physicians.

5. Pay isn't adequate for the Demands placed on the Registered Nurse.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Lake Havasu City, AZ

I have been working at Havasu Regional Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job Security- No one else wants to work here. (3rd floor Telemetry). High nurse turn over. New nurses quit when they have enough experience that other hospitals will hire them.

Cons

A nurse continues to maintain high nurse/patient ratios even though the acuity is high. Nurses often feel overwhelmed because they can't provide quality care to all their assigned patients. Pay is not high enough to retain experienced nurses. I quit because as a more experienced nurse I was getting more of the higher acuity patients and I had to help the less experienced nurses as well. I now leave my home in Havasu and travel to California ( the higher pay compensates for rent). I also have lower nurse/patient ratios working for a hospital that cares for it's staff. This summer we got 75 to 150 dollar walmart gift cards just as a thank you and for Christmas I got $350 walmart gift card. At Havasu I was lucky to get a cheap 10 dollar turkey (if profits were high) and Often we got substandard raises because it's a for profit hospital and the share holders and CEOS come first. Now most of the experienced nurses quit... I hear the new ones can't start IV's. I hope the ER starts my Iv if I get sick (all the good nurses are down there).

Advice to Management

Start to listen to your nurses! If you want higher quality nurses... you have to pay for us and treat us right... Remember our experience also tells us that we don't have to put up with lack of appreciation, higher acuity levels, higher nurse/patient ratios all for less pay. You get what you pay for!

RSS Feed </> Embed