Haver Analytics Reviews

3.4
Maurine Haver

1. Pretty decent time

I have been working at Haver Analytics

Pros

Very relaxed people working there, Not too difficult of work

Cons

No room for Growth within the company

2. great people, great training, and vast amount of data series you've never heard of

Former Employee - Senior Economic Research Assistant
    Former Employee - Senior Economic Research Assistant

I worked at Haver Analytics

Pros

great software, helpful management, great leadership, anyone looking to work in finance would gain alot by understanding, how data is managed, when its released, and its outlook effect on the economy

Cons

no downtime, but why would you want any you slacker.

Advice to Management

close on new years

3. Convenient and satisfying (albeit tedious) part-time work

Former Employee - Research Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Haver Analytics part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The learning curve to be decent/good at what you're doing typically lasts between 2-3 months. Beyond that, you have an idea of what type of projects you'll mainly be working on, which provides security and some comfort going forward. It's a relatively casual work environment and the people who work there are, on a whole, very pleasant. For students, it's very convenient work, considering proximity to subways and general requirements to work between 20-30 hours. I really liked my supervisor.

Cons

Almost all feedback that you receive will pertain to making a mistake. While there's definitely some perk to seeing your work reflect directly onto the database, you learn to settle for not hearing complaints from management as affirmation as good work. Some tasks are extremely tedious and don't feel like time is being well-spent.

Good first job...but look for something else after 2 years

Former Employee - International Database Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - International Database Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Haver Analytics

Pros

Small Company, Easy to work with coworkers. Good work/life balance. Steep learning curve which results in you learning a lot during the first 2 years...unfortunately it does not last.

Cons

No career advancement opportunities. Managers love to micromanage. Very repetitive work. Heavy emphasis on what you do wrong rather than what you do right which results in a very high turnover. Lower end of the compensation spectrum.

Advice to Management

More emphasis on what your employees do right rather than on their occasional mistakes.

Research assistant

I worked at Haver Analytics

Pros

A lot of young fun co-workers and pretty laid back atmosphere.

Cons

high expectations, will pay you 12 an hour to basically do what the dbm does but they get salary? that is not fair
    no real skills learned

Advice to Management

upgrade system, who the hell uses ms dos?

7. Very bad working environment but good for the resume

Former Employee - SRA in New York, NY
    Former Employee - SRA in New York, NY

I worked at Haver Analytics part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Because a lot of other companies use the Haver database it is good to have on your resume.

Cons

Horrible pay for the amount of work you do. Tasks aren't distributed evenly. some people do nothing all day and get paid the same as people who are working very hard. Kinda feels like high school as some DBMs only encourage and help the SRAs they have good relationships with.

Advice to Management

Management should be a little less bias. They should acknowledge and encourage those who work hard rather than those that they get along with. (This is a work environment not a social setting). They should increase the pay for the SRAs that work hard and fire the ones that don't because they are just taking up space in the office.

8. Good place to build skills

Former Employee - Senior Research Assistant
    Former Employee - Senior Research Assistant

I worked at Haver Analytics

Pros

Relatively laid back work environment. You can set your own schedule and take time off pretty much whenever you need time off. Two weeks of fairly basic training. Learning curve after that, but not too difficult to get over that hump. Can't say anything about other DBMs, but the one I worked with was fairly hands-off and that ended up working well.

Cons

Can get boring and monotonous at times. Little room for growth and development if your background does not align well with economics. Upper management seems to be cracking down on little things that are insignificant to productivity. The short courses are not very useful.

Advice to Management

Training - the short course format is NOT useful for meaningful learning. I get that it's meant to help us with our productivity, but it rarely does. The topic/skill being taught that day is so random and so rarely used, by the time we do need it, we forget. Instead, maintain a library of short course videos in addition to documentation that is UP TO DATE.

Leadership - Don't micromanage. Focus on productivity. Let the DBMs manage their SRAs directly.

Stepping stone

I have been working at Haver Analytics

Pros

Good stepping stone for student or recent grad

Cons

apathy among workers, poor training, and no work culture.

Advice to Management

Haver kind of treats its employees like slaves, which they justify is okay because they pay them (presumably). Haver upper management wants them to do the most amount of work possible without properly valuing them. This causes an overall apathetic feeling among most of the DBMs. There really is a strange dichotomy between DMBs and DMB managers. The DBMs have quite low morale, while the DBM managers are reserved work-o-holics. Fix the culture and re-align incentives.

10. I worked as Research Assistant to International Database Managers in Haver. It was great experience.

Former Intern - Research Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Research Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Haver Analytics as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I enhanced significantly my skills using Excel spreadsheet and got familiar to many international economics concepts. Workload is not very heavy. It is a good opportunity to learn about important economic indicators government and economists rely on. Managers that you work with are nice people, they train you well and willing to help if you ask questions.

Cons

Work for intern is mostly repetitive after a few months. Not a place to have a learning curve. If you do well, you can expect to get an interview for full-time position.

Advice to Management

The people working in the company are smart and intelligent enough to do more technical and analytical work. The President should try to expand the business's covering area. It will benefit both the firm and employees.

11. Quality summer internship for anyone really interested in economic data

Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Haver Analytics as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

interesting work with unique software systems, flexible and manageable hours, laid-back and fun employees, supportive office culture dominated by younger and tech-savvy employees with an interesting variety of career ambitions, exposure to a variety of economic and financial data

Cons

work can get very repetitive, knowledge gained with software is not transferable because of unique nature of programs used (mostly old and surprisingly simple: very efficient for working with massive amounts of data)