Haver Analytics

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014
3.3

Maurine Haver

Good place to build skills

Former Employee - Senior Research Assistant
    Former Employee - Senior Research Assistant

I worked at Haver Analytics

Pros

Relatively laid back work environment. You can set your own schedule and take time off pretty much whenever you need time off. Two weeks of fairly basic training. Learning curve after that, but not too difficult to get over that hump. Can't say anything about other DBMs, but the one I worked with was fairly hands-off and that ended up working well.

Cons

Can get boring and monotonous at times. Little room for growth and development if your background does not align well with economics. Upper management seems to be cracking down on little things that are insignificant to productivity. The short courses are not very useful.

Training - the short course format is NOT useful for meaningful learning. I get that it's meant to help us with our productivity, but it rarely does. The topic/skill being taught that day is so random and so rarely used, by the time we do need it, we forget. Instead, maintain a library of short course videos in addition to documentation that is UP TO DATE.

Leadership - Don't micromanage. Focus on productivity. Let the DBMs manage their SRAs directly.

Stepping stone

I have been working at Haver Analytics

Pros

Good stepping stone for student or recent grad

Cons

apathy among workers, poor training, and no work culture.

Haver kind of treats its employees like slaves, which they justify is okay because they pay them (presumably). Haver upper management wants them to do the most amount of work possible without properly valuing them. This causes an overall apathetic feeling among most of the DBMs. There really is a strange dichotomy between DMBs and DMB managers. The DBMs have quite low morale, while the DBM managers are reserved work-o-holics. Fix the culture and re-align incentives.

I worked as Research Assistant to International Database Managers in Haver. It was great experience.

Former Employee - Research Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Haver Analytics as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I enhanced significantly my skills using Excel spreadsheet and got familiar to many international economics concepts. Workload is not very heavy. It is a good opportunity to learn about important economic indicators government and economists rely on. Managers that you work with are nice people, they train you well and willing to help if you ask questions.

Cons

Work for intern is mostly repetitive after a few months. Not a place to have a learning curve. If you do well, you can expect to get an interview for full-time position.

The people working in the company are smart and intelligent enough to do more technical and analytical work. The President should try to expand the business's covering area. It will benefit both the firm and employees.

Quality summer internship for anyone really interested in economic data

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Haver Analytics as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

interesting work with unique software systems, flexible and manageable hours, laid-back and fun employees, supportive office culture dominated by younger and tech-savvy employees with an interesting variety of career ambitions, exposure to a variety of economic and financial data

Cons

work can get very repetitive, knowledge gained with software is not transferable because of unique nature of programs used (mostly old and surprisingly simple: very efficient for working with massive amounts of data)

Good for those beginning their career

Former Employee - Economic Research Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Economic Research Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Haver Analytics part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good opportunity to learn Excel skills (Macro, Pivot Table, Vlookup, Functions etc.), how to gather large data sets and process them. Casual atmosphere. People here are willing to help (if you ask for)

Cons

Lag of employees' empowerment. You kind of have to wait for senior managers to help you or you figure out how to do the job on your own but you can't really make a decision on the process. Friendly and easy environment. Casual and can be too casual. Not really a business professional environment that you're looking for.

Should give more appreciation and bonus to hard-working staff. Distribute more authority to staff so that they can execute work promptly. Update Haver wiki to be more up to date and give more details and clear on how to run an update.

good to learn economic

I have been working at Haver Analytics

Pros

people are nice, shift hour is good, good environment. paid well, learn different technical skills

Cons

repetitive job, it is boring sometime. the daily tasks can get a little dull, analytics are sort of misleading. if you did good job, nobody encourage you, but if you did bad, they will blame on you

Good stepping stone

I worked at Haver Analytics

Pros

The people are very supportive and relaxed, and the work load is not heavy at all on a daily basis.

Cons

It's difficult to find challenging work or be in an environment where others are less concerned with progressing up their careers. Senior management may be difficult to access and this leads to an apathetic work environment where quality is still measured, but it seems like no one truly cares about the work at hand.

Create a more innovative and open work environment with common goals and measures.

Good for students

Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Haver Analytics part-time (less than an year)

Pros

the hours weren't too long, the work was too hard or demanding, it was relatively easy money

Cons

european shift the hours are hard to adjust to, the management was not always understanding or concerned with employees

more team building

Great atmosphere and people

Current Employee - SRA in New York, NY
    Current Employee - SRA in New York, NY

I have been working at Haver Analytics part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The office is very chill and the work load is very small. People are nice to you and you can will help you when you need. You will meet a lot of friendly people over there like Juan, Andrea and Deemster.

Cons

The tasks are really boring. The location sucks, I don't like midtown and the many "suits" you see over there.

No advice

Decent

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Haver Analytics as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

-Set my own schedule
    -Never had to work late (and neither did anyone I worked with or heard about)
    -Managers directly in charge of my group were very friendly and understanding (we would joke around a lot, they would never give me grief about taking a day off on short notice)
    -Small groups mean you get to know your coworkers pretty well

Cons

-It's not an awfully exciting place to work
    -computer related tasks are sometimes frustrating, most of the time just boring