Havertys

www.havertys.com

Havertys Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014
Havertys – US – “Havertys Store Front”

Havertys President, CEO, and Director Clarence H. Smith

Clarence H. Smith

Pros
  • Good benefits and 401k, lots of locations in the south east, 128 year old company(in 4 reviews)

• Awesome delivery service and teams(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Long Hours, Weekends And All Holidays(in 11 reviews)

• Another year has come around and Havertys is taking money away from sales people once again(in 10 reviews)

family friendly

Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) San Angelo, TX

ProsThe actual Haverty Family still own the majority of the company. They are very friendly

ConsIt is still ran by those who only see the big dollar sign

Advice to Senior ManagementThose who have committed to the company at least 5 years will stay for their lifetime.

Worst management I've ever seen!!

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsUp to date on writing a sale, the co workers were awesome, corporate trainer Linda was outstanding!

ConsWhen I started working at the Columbus store, . I thought it was the best job of my life and I would retire there. We had at great team and a awesome leader! I loved going to work everyday. We had some small problems but nothing we could't handle. The overall atmosphere was more like family! The manager at the time said no one to many time to the top designer apparently. She in turn did what she had to do to get rid of him! Including writing bogus reviews and complaining to corporate anonymously about him . In the end we all found out that it was her! They brought in a new manager from out of state without warning! As our first introductory meeting she told us all that she was the new cop in town! She became very military like towards all of us and told us it was our fault that we had so many managers there! She said who are they going to believe now since you have had so many managers..you? or me? She did what she had to do including getting in our faces; scare tactics and threatening! She ran all of the old employee's off! Some sadly had been with the company for so many years! This lady didn't care! She was as crude and mean as she could be! Not wanting anyone to remain that she didn't hire....well except the one designer! Also sad that Haverty's use to be a company with high standards and morals values! Now they don't even care about the customers as the new employees are told hound and stock their customers with the new sales tactics! Not only are the employee's gone to new jobs as a customer...I wouldn't want a furniture store to call me over and over and not even let me look through the store without being stocked and bothered!! This new manager also made up her own rules, rules that were against policy of company guide lines...Which is another reason she ran the employee's away...The all had signed work contracts! The old manager wen't by the book of company rules she wanted to enforce her own but in that first meeting a few of the sales people told her about those contracts...she in turn made them sign new ones...and as we all now know she added what she wanted to that paper work...including dispensary actions that never happened so it didn't look like there was no reason for all the old employee's to leave!!! All should join in this law suite against her!!

Advice to Senior ManagementI think you should try to contact each employee who had no choice but to walk out since you brought the new manager in...They may not wan't to go back and work for you but As you know they were a good and honest group and will not think twice about telling the truth!! You hired them in the first place based on the original core values of haverty's! This lady learned their personality traits the ones from the book that Linda taught and used it against them to get them to walk out the door! Or is that what you wanted?? That way no compensation if they were fired?? We should all talk to our lawyers!!!!!!

I enjoy the people I work with.

ProsI get to meet new people everyday.

ConsDuring the summer time all the north eastern people are gone.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease don't flood the floor with sales people.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working at Havertys is about as exciting as watching paint dry!

Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Anniston, AL

ProsDecent work environment, decent co-workers, free lunches sometimes . . Well, those are about the only pros I can think of.

ConsThere is way too much downtime. Havertys is NOT a booming industry on the cusp of innovation. There would be times where the store would be completely empty for hours upon hours, and the manager still expected you to be working on something. Before working here, I had no earthly idea of just how BORING selling furniture could be.

Another con is that nothing ever changes; it's just the exact same thing day in and day out. If you are someone like me who enjoys variety in their life, then Havertys is definitely NOT the place for you.

Also, the money is not that great either. They say that if you're a top performer, you can make $40,000 to $60,000 a year, but I highly doubt that. They don't get enough customers for you to be able to make that kind of money, plus they keep hiring more and more people . Our store had about 10 sales reps, and on many days we would only get like 2 customers per rep, 3 if you're lucky.

They also put a lot of emphasis on "team selling". This in and of itself is a good concept of co-workers helping each other engage customers and ultimately close on sales, but the problem I had was when the manager would send a co-worker to "help" me when I didn't even ask for it. Many times I felt like they were just in my way and didn't give me any room to breathe and grow.

The bottom line is that if you can handle doing the same routine day in and day out, hours upon hours of EXTREME BOREDOM, and mediocre pay, then by all means seek employment at Havertys. On the other hand, if you are someone like me, who values variety, freedom, happiness, purpose, and a real opportunity to make good money, then PLEASE stay away from this place. You'll only end up disappointed and frustrated in the end.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management is to give your new sales reps and chance to grow on their ownl. Stop sending in "help" to those who aren't even asking for it! You may think that you're doing your new reps a favor, but really all you're doing is stifling any chances of growth that might have had on their own. Also, stop hiring so many new reps for a store that has less than 10 customers on a given day! What type of business sense does that make!?!

I worked at Havertys for 2 years

Sales Associate (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsEarning potential
    Learning the business of furniture
    Some good sales colleagues
    Working with people to make their furniture needs met

ConsPoor management from the "PC" manager
    Seemingly difficult quotas (don't meet them, you're gone)
    Enforcement of standards are a joke (everyone except 'teachers pets')
    Job is constantly on the line

Advice to Senior ManagementTry actually investing in those below you, considering we pay your bills! weed out the bad or lazy PC managers who let the company down, the old boys network needs to go.

There's a reason they are always hiring.....

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Anniston, AL

ProsSales people stick together
    40% discount

ConsInsane, hypocritical, and lying managers.
    Long hours
    Work every weekend and holiday

Advice to Senior ManagementHavertys is a joke.
    Furniture is incredibly cheap, there's NO inspections done to any product meaning pissed off customers when it arrived damaged.
    Don't hire people like your current managers, they are awful, don't care about sales staff, can't do anything other that sexually harass female employees. It's horrible and I was ashamed to tell people I worked there.
    Over staffed floor, only one or two customers a day, raising quotas exponentially, lying to new hires, shoving emails down customers throats, cheap goods from China.
    No wonder Havertys is the "town idiot" of other furniture stores.
    Mr Haverty should be rolling around in his grave.

I hope you can sell...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsRelaxed sales floor
    Earning potential
    Learning the business of furniture
    Some good sales colleagues
    Working with people to make their furniture needs met

ConsPoor management from the "PC" manager (owner)
    Seemingly difficult quotas (don't meet them, you're gone)
    Enforcement of standards are a joke (everyone except 'teachers pets')
    Job is constantly on the line

Great place to work, just be sure to bring your own money

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsFlexible schedule
    good pay if you have a good month selling
    Relaxed atmosphere
    Large variety of traditional furniture to sell
    Good training
    My manager and other people work with are good
    I don't hate going to work
    Stays busy in good locations
    Rewarding getting to help people choose furniture when they will talk to you

ConsMust meet quota or get fired
    3 month rolling average of selling $120,000 or $40,000 per month of furniture or fired
    Straight commission
    Bad pay if you have a bad month
    Unpredictable pay, hard to buy a house or a car on payments
    Cannot plan for the future well unless your a top notch furniture salesman
    Many little rules to follow
    Can not negotiate.......anything .......when selling
    Must work every holiday
    I've seen a lot of people come and go
    .......you will hear the words.....just looking, just getting ideas, just killing time more often than you can imagine. It's like customers know the script and exactly what to say

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate raises the bar often
    They stopped the pension plan
    Stopped paying commission on delivery
    Raise the quotas to break percentage barriers....last year 6% on $55k this year.....$57,500
    ...........Keeps a lot of employees to water down commission payouts. You move up level of % commission the more you sell. With so many employees on the floor it makes that harder to make money.

Sales associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

Prosgreat benefits,quick delivery times for customers and enjoy my co-workers

ConsMicro management and difficult to make goals with many parameters to achieve said goals

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on customer experience and less on warranty sales and bedding quotas

CUT THROAT

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsI have been working at Havertys for a few years now and love interracting with people on a daily basis. You sale well, and your pay check reflects.

ConsManagement is terrible at the branch level. There is always a "good ol' boy system," and no room for advancement, even when your sales exceed. You work all weekends, holidays, and long nights. Co-workers care only about #1, and will steal sales often.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave HR make annual visits, to make sure employees are satisfied with management.

Worked for Havertys? Contribute to the Community!