Havertys Reviews

Updated September 1, 2014
2.7

Havertys President, CEO, and Director Clarence H. Smith
Clarence H. Smith

Pros
  • Good benefits and 401k, lots of locations in the south east, 128 year old company (in 4 reviews)

• Awesome delivery service and teams (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Long Hours, Weekends And All Holidays (in 11 reviews)

• Another year has come around and Havertys is taking money away from sales people once again (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales at Havertys

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Havertys full-time

Pros

Good product, great benefits. Very nice people to work with on all levels.

Cons

Too many sales associates at one location makes it difficult to reach monthly quota.

Selling associate perspective

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Havertys full-time for more than a year

Pros

Product and company well respected. Great customers, enjoy doing designs and seeing clients homes. Comfortable working environment. Selling computer program helps you track leads, deliveries and client issues to diffuse situations.

Cons

Never get weekends off. Too many associates on floor dilutes your ability to make great sales. Needs better ability to advance. Designers not getting direction from store managers. Ours does her own thing a lot. Lose out on her being In Store more to capitalize on using her.

Push to promote acceptable candidates.

Havertys is the Best

I have been working at Havertys full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The company actually cares about their people.

Cons

There really aren't any cons just a great company to work for.

Keep up the good work.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great learning experience

Former Employee - Office Assistant  in  Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Havertys part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Flexible Hours
    -Works with student schedules
    - Great training

Cons

- Lazy salespeople make you do their job
    - Lazy salespeople always argue

Keep your salespeople in line.

Sales consultant

Former Employee - Sales Consultant  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Havertys full-time for more than a year

Pros

Been around a long time, reasonably decent benefits, good discount on furniture. some decent work colleagues.

Cons

Sales people are being abused and exploited by corporate, and at store level to also, don't hit targets and your gone, even after working for them for many years, store mangers quit on the PC manager constantly. No rules expect if your teachers pet. Commission rates keep going up unfairly.

Stop abusing your employees, company values have gone down the drain since Mr Haverty passed away, no training, no leadership at the Dezavla store, Need to change the PC manger, seriously at at this location, poor staff morale.

family friendly

Former Employee - Warehouse Manager  in  San Angelo, TX
    Former Employee - Warehouse Manager in San Angelo, TX

I worked at Havertys full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The actual Haverty Family still own the majority of the company. They are very friendly

Cons

It is still ran by those who only see the big dollar sign

Those who have committed to the company at least 5 years will stay for their lifetime.

Worst management I've ever seen!!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH

I worked at Havertys full-time

Pros

Up to date on writing a sale, the co workers were awesome, corporate trainer Linda was outstanding!

Cons

When I started working at the Columbus store, . I thought it was the best job of my life and I would retire there. We had at great team and a awesome leader! I loved going to work everyday. We had some small problems but nothing we could't handle. The overall atmosphere was more like family! The manager at the time said no one to many time to the top designer apparently. She in turn did what she had to do to get rid of him! Including writing bogus reviews and complaining to corporate anonymously about him . In the end we all found out that it was her! They brought in a new manager from out of state without warning! As our first introductory meeting she told us all that she was the new cop in town! She became very military like towards all of us and told us it was our fault that we had so many managers there! She said who are they going to believe now since you have had so many managers..you? or me? She did what she had to do including getting in our faces; scare tactics and threatening! She ran all of the old employee's off! Some sadly had been with the company for so many years! This lady didn't care! She was as crude and mean as she could be! Not wanting anyone to remain that she didn't hire....well except the one designer! Also sad that Haverty's use to be a company with high standards and morals values! Now they don't even care about the customers as the new employees are told hound and stock their customers with the new sales tactics! Not only are the employee's gone to new jobs as a customer...I wouldn't want a furniture store to call me over and over and not even let me look through the store without being stocked and bothered!! This new manager also made up her own rules, rules that were against policy of company guide lines...Which is another reason she ran the employee's away...The all had signed work contracts! The old manager wen't by the book of company rules she wanted to enforce her own but in that first meeting a few of the sales people told her about those contracts...she in turn made them sign new ones...and as we all now know she added what she wanted to that paper work...including dispensary actions that never happened so it didn't look like there was no reason for all the old employee's to leave!!! All should join in this law suite against her!!

I think you should try to contact each employee who had no choice but to walk out since you brought the new manager in...They may not wan't to go back and work for you but As you know they were a good and honest group and will not think twice about telling the truth!! You hired them in the first place based on the original core values of haverty's! This lady learned their personality traits the ones from the book that Linda taught and used it against them to get them to walk out the door! Or is that what you wanted?? That way no compensation if they were fired?? We should all talk to our lawyers!!!!!!

I enjoy the people I work with.

I have been working at Havertys

Pros

I get to meet new people everyday.

Cons

During the summer time all the north eastern people are gone.

Please don't flood the floor with sales people.

Working at Havertys is about as exciting as watching paint dry!

Former Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Anniston, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Anniston, AL

I worked at Havertys full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent work environment, decent co-workers, free lunches sometimes . . Well, those are about the only pros I can think of.

Cons

There is way too much downtime. Havertys is NOT a booming industry on the cusp of innovation. There would be times where the store would be completely empty for hours upon hours, and the manager still expected you to be working on something. Before working here, I had no earthly idea of just how BORING selling furniture could be.

Another con is that nothing ever changes; it's just the exact same thing day in and day out. If you are someone like me who enjoys variety in their life, then Havertys is definitely NOT the place for you.

Also, the money is not that great either. They say that if you're a top performer, you can make $40,000 to $60,000 a year, but I highly doubt that. They don't get enough customers for you to be able to make that kind of money, plus they keep hiring more and more people . Our store had about 10 sales reps, and on many days we would only get like 2 customers per rep, 3 if you're lucky.

They also put a lot of emphasis on "team selling". This in and of itself is a good concept of co-workers helping each other engage customers and ultimately close on sales, but the problem I had was when the manager would send a co-worker to "help" me when I didn't even ask for it. Many times I felt like they were just in my way and didn't give me any room to breathe and grow.

The bottom line is that if you can handle doing the same routine day in and day out, hours upon hours of EXTREME BOREDOM, and mediocre pay, then by all means seek employment at Havertys. On the other hand, if you are someone like me, who values variety, freedom, happiness, purpose, and a real opportunity to make good money, then PLEASE stay away from this place. You'll only end up disappointed and frustrated in the end.

My advice to management is to give your new sales reps and chance to grow on their ownl. Stop sending in "help" to those who aren't even asking for it! You may think that you're doing your new reps a favor, but really all you're doing is stifling any chances of growth that might have had on their own. Also, stop hiring so many new reps for a store that has less than 10 customers on a given day! What type of business sense does that make!?!

There's a reason they are always hiring.....

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Anniston, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Anniston, AL

I worked at Havertys full-time for more than a year

Pros

Sales people stick together
    40% discount

Cons

Insane, hypocritical, and lying managers.
    Long hours
    Work every weekend and holiday

Havertys is a joke.
    Furniture is incredibly cheap, there's NO inspections done to any product meaning pissed off customers when it arrived damaged.
    Don't hire people like your current managers, they are awful, don't care about sales staff, can't do anything other that sexually harass female employees. It's horrible and I was ashamed to tell people I worked there.
    Over staffed floor, only one or two customers a day, raising quotas exponentially, lying to new hires, shoving emails down customers throats, cheap goods from China.
    No wonder Havertys is the "town idiot" of other furniture stores.
    Mr Haverty should be rolling around in his grave.

Worked for Havertys? Contribute to the Community!