Hawaii Pacific University

Updated December 14, 2014
2.7

CEO

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A great school to work with and for.

Former Employee - Instructor in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Instructor in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Hawaii Pacific University part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great University to work with/for as they encourage employee development and are generally fun while they do the job of education!

Cons

There are no cons that I can see!

Always stay available to students and staff.

Temporary experience at HPU

Former Employee - Network Assistant in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Network Assistant in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Hawaii Pacific University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Academic atmosphere. Standard institute workplace.

Cons

Low-salary. 9-to-5 job. It is okay.

Priorities and Proper Training

Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Hawaii Pacific University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Valuable experience; depending on what job you've gotten. Sometimes there are jobs available for students such as sign-in assistants, which honestly don't do anything for you but give you an easy job. However, I was a marketing assistant that taught me quite a lot.

Cons

Maybe it was just my supervisor but she didn't want to teach me most of the skills necessary to do the job because "I was not there enough". I'd say this was unfair because the only reason I wasn't there all the time was the simple fact that I am also a student, and her choice to not educate me in other aspects of the job left me doing mediocre work all through out. How can you expect someone to do the job if you don't tell them what they're supposed to do?

Value your employees because they don't feel like they're taken care of.

Sad

Current Employee - Professor, CHSS in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Professor, CHSS in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Hawaii Pacific University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Student diversity. Classroom environment is potentially terrific, for anyone who enjoys teaching. Students are open-minded. Have never enjoyed my students as much.

Cons

Higher Administration is overly rewarded, while productive faculty are not. There is no recognition of faculty accomplishment, no reward for publication, little support for it either. Faculty are on the whole of low morale. No one's job is secure. Salary freeze for liberal arts. New hires are paid more than people who have earned their oats, both in the classroom and larger academe.

Get rid of CFO. Respect your professors. Recognize intellectual substance. Stop rewarding mediocrity. Set sights for higher students. Use internal marketing staff, not people from mainland who have no idea what Hawaii is about. Get rid of deans without PhDs, and especially those who are far from the classroom environment.

It is a nice place to work, with friendly people.

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty (Instructor) in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty (Instructor) in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Hawaii Pacific University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly people, nice students. It's a university, so you get non-teaching days off. I'm sure you can take sick days, but I never had to.

Cons

The pay isn't amazing for adjunct faculty, but it's ok. Many of the students require ESL help (except for the mainland students).

Create more tenure positions. Look into expanding the reach of the university through grants and outside funding. Consider approaching business (the other university does a terrible job catering to business - you could drive that wagon).

Once a contender, now a disaster

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Hawaii Pacific University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are none. It is a sham. Benefits have been cut, work load increased, and the policies are not even in line with the education sector. The new structure means there will probably be no long-term faculty building stable careers here.

Cons

No job security. Climate of fear. No truthfulness on the part of management. Threats and intimidation on a daily basis. A truly toxic work environment. Some fantastic people working here but they are not valued at all. It used to be much better. This is just sad.

Please leave, and turn the institution over to people who actually care about education.

HPU, largest private university in Hawaii

Current Employee - Instructor, Communication in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Instructor, Communication in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Hawaii Pacific University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Location in Hawaii attracts amazing students from around the world. Central location. Generous retirement contributions.

Cons

Staff and faculty are not valued. No one's job is ever secure. Superior pedagogy not valued or even encouraged by upper management. Programs are cut, people are terminated, important guidelines change with little advance notice,

Use faculty and staff as valuable human resources, not as inconvenient "line items."

Fun, easy going, and flexible hours

Former Employee - Internal Mail Room Postage Allocator in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Internal Mail Room Postage Allocator in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Hawaii Pacific University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working at the campus as a student offers an abundant number advantages to working at off campus work sites. For one, the school will more than likely be much more flexible with your hours and circumstances that arise because of school activities than other outside companies. My particular job in the mail room was a very fun and easy going environment.

Cons

My time working for Hawaii Pacific University was very good so its hard to think of any cons honestly. I was always paid on time. If I wanted more hours or needed time off those accommodations were almost always met.

Adjunct Instructor

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Hawaii Pacific University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great opportunity to "cut your teeth" teaching at university level.
    Military campus programs allow you to work with fellow military members and trade ideas and knowledge.
    Great response from permanent faculty and military campus advisors. Staff is very helpful.

Cons

Personally, I'd prefer 1-2 hour classes instead of 4-hour classes; but it's not a bad schedule.

For new adjuncts, consider having a lesson plan for them to follow; making your own from scratch can be intimidating.

A good place to work

I have been working at Hawaii Pacific University

Pros

- you can build your career in a respectful environment

Cons

- the pay is just enough to cope with the cost of life

As far as education is concerned the management is doing is great job to build a good reputation for the university.

Hawaii Pacific University Photos