Hawaii Pacific University
www.hpu.edu Honolulu, HI 1000 to 5000 Employees

Hawaii Pacific University Reviews in Honolulu, HI

Updated Jun 18, 2014

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It is a nice place to work, with friendly people.

Adjunct Faculty (Instructor) (Former Employee)
    Honolulu, HI

ProsFriendly people, nice students. It's a university, so you get non-teaching days off. I'm sure you can take sick days, but I never had to.

ConsThe pay isn't amazing for adjunct faculty, but it's ok. Many of the students require ESL help (except for the mainland students).

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more tenure positions. Look into expanding the reach of the university through grants and outside funding. Consider approaching business (the other university does a terrible job catering to business - you could drive that wagon).

Once a contender, now a disaster

Honolulu, HI

ProsThere are none. It is a sham. Benefits have been cut, work load increased, and the policies are not even in line with the education sector. The new structure means there will probably be no long-term faculty building stable careers here.

ConsNo job security. Climate of fear. No truthfulness on the part of management. Threats and intimidation on a daily basis. A truly toxic work environment. Some fantastic people working here but they are not valued at all. It used to be much better. This is just sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease leave, and turn the institution over to people who actually care about education.

HPU, largest private university in Hawaii

Instructor, Communication (Current Employee)
    Honolulu, HI

ProsLocation in Hawaii attracts amazing students from around the world. Central location. Generous retirement contributions.

ConsStaff and faculty are not valued. No one's job is ever secure. Superior pedagogy not valued or even encouraged by upper management. Programs are cut, people are terminated, important guidelines change with little advance notice,

Advice to Senior ManagementUse faculty and staff as valuable human resources, not as inconvenient "line items."

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun, easy going, and flexible hours

Internal Mail Room Postage Allocator (Former Employee)
    Honolulu, HI

ProsWorking at the campus as a student offers an abundant number advantages to working at off campus work sites. For one, the school will more than likely be much more flexible with your hours and circumstances that arise because of school activities than other outside companies. My particular job in the mail room was a very fun and easy going environment.

ConsMy time working for Hawaii Pacific University was very good so its hard to think of any cons honestly. I was always paid on time. If I wanted more hours or needed time off those accommodations were almost always met.

Adjunct Instructor

Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee)
    Honolulu, HI

ProsGreat opportunity to "cut your teeth" teaching at university level.
    Military campus programs allow you to work with fellow military members and trade ideas and knowledge.
    Great response from permanent faculty and military campus advisors. Staff is very helpful.

ConsPersonally, I'd prefer 1-2 hour classes instead of 4-hour classes; but it's not a bad schedule.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor new adjuncts, consider having a lesson plan for them to follow; making your own from scratch can be intimidating.

A good place to work

Honolulu, HI

Pros- you can build your career in a respectful environment

Cons- the pay is just enough to cope with the cost of life

Advice to Senior ManagementAs far as education is concerned the management is doing is great job to build a good reputation for the university.

Fair but could use better leadership in the management area.

ProsBenefits on tuition
    friendly work environment

Cons-low pay
    - promotions are based on manager's preference
    - managers & directors need to be trained on how to manage people

Advice to Senior Managementno comment

Good place for beginners

Assistant Computer Support Specialist (Current Employee)
    Honolulu, HI

ProsExcept for a few, the people you work with are friendly and very tolerant.

ConsMaybe too laid back for some.

Worked for Hawaii Pacific University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hawaii Pacific University reviews and ratings in Honolulu, HI. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Hawaii Pacific University employees.