Hawaii Pacific University

Take It or :Leave It

Former Employee - Office Assistant
    Former Employee - Office Assistant

I worked at Hawaii Pacific University part-time for less than a year

Pros

Working with fellow students from across the world was a worthwhile experience in itself. Some faculty went out of the way to make sure the right tools were available to succeed.

Cons

Much of the faculty has low morale, which makes it hard to learn from them when their efforts go unnoticed and underpaid.

Hawaii Pacific University

I have been working at Hawaii Pacific University part-time

Pros

culture, environment, friendly atmosphere, helpful, diversity

Cons

multiple campuses, student housing, student recreational activities, parking, student activities

Generally okay.

I worked at Hawaii Pacific University part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Friendly and approachable faculty and staff
    -The location is great
    -Flexible schedule allowed me to easily balance school and work load
    -If you need help with anything, there are coworkers who are more than willing to help

Cons

-Compensation could be better
    -Too many great employees have been are still being laid off
    -Understaffed
    -Promises for promotional advancement are not granted

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Run, Don't Walk, Away From HPU

I worked at Hawaii Pacific University full-time for more than a year

Pros

In a hostile work environment with uncertain job security, you may develop deep friendships with colleagues who share your need for sanity and civility.

Cons

There is no leadership here. The president routinely fires the very senior managers he himself hired (from the mainland, of course). Their brief tenures neither allow strategic plans to be implemented nor staff to adjust to new management. Having fired the first set, the president then hires new VPs (from the mainland, of course). These senior staffers—having uprooted their families across the Pacific and also having learned that their predecessors lasted less time than it takes to cook a pig in an imu (not that they know what that means)—quickly turn into the 'yes-men' and 'yes-women' that the president initially sought. Walk down the corporate ladder and you arrive at the 100 faculty and mid-to lower level managers and staff who were recently laid off. Now, no remaining staff wish to speak—certainly not to make negative comments about whatever direction the university is heading. (Ah, 'yes' people all around.) So where does the hostility come in? It is confined to certain departments where senior managers have moved to Oahu (as in changed their postal addresses) but have not "moved" to Oahu; they have no more understanding of the history, culture, or daily lives of the people of Hawaii than some of the tourists who visit briefly. HPU has a lot of growth to do—and the students deserve that much—but, sadly, it cannot take place under the current management. The work environment is far too disordered, insecure and, at times, hostile. Save your energy for a company that deserves your talents.

Priorities and Proper Training

Current Employee - Marketing Assistant  in  Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Hawaii Pacific University part-time for less than a year

Pros

Valuable experience; depending on what job you've gotten. Sometimes there are jobs available for students such as sign-in assistants, which honestly don't do anything for you but give you an easy job. However, I was a marketing assistant that taught me quite a lot.

Cons

Maybe it was just my supervisor but she didn't want to teach me most of the skills necessary to do the job because "I was not there enough". I'd say this was unfair because the only reason I wasn't there all the time was the simple fact that I am also a student, and her choice to not educate me in other aspects of the job left me doing mediocre work all through out. How can you expect someone to do the job if you don't tell them what they're supposed to do?

Value your employees because they don't feel like they're taken care of.

Diverse environment

I have been working at Hawaii Pacific University

Pros

Diverse workforce and culture, supportive faculty and staff, good work-life balance.

Cons

Not many opportunities for professional development, no job security.

No recognition for Hard Workers

I have been working at Hawaii Pacific University

Pros

The diversity of the students and staff, with some great, hard working colleagues who care about education and consider their position in higher education as a career rather then just a job.

Cons

Knowledgable, hard working staff are not valued or acknowledged and many are passed up for further professional development or promotion, while other staff members with less experience, knowledge or interest are recognized because they are friends with management. No aloha within the siloed office structures creates a very toxic work environment where one dreads coming to work each day. Some coworkers and managers are rude and unprofessional e.g. rolling their eyes in a meeting when a colleague is speaking. Management has no regard for ideas or even to hear about best practices at other institutions and encourage to do what is easiest, not what is best for the students. For those who are looking to advance in their career or who are interested in professional development will be discouraged. As another reviewer mentioned, salaries are not on par with industry averages either.

There is a reason that there has been very high turn over of staff in certain departments at the university, seeing many talented staff move on. You should take a closer look at the appointed managers in these areas and ask yourself why this is happening. Hire managers who have more extensive experience and knowledge not just at HPU. Encourage professional development for hardworking and interested staff who have earned it and it will only strengthen the university.

Sad

Current Employee - Professor, CHSS  in  Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Professor, CHSS in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Hawaii Pacific University full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Student diversity. Classroom environment is potentially terrific, for anyone who enjoys teaching. Students are open-minded. Have never enjoyed my students as much.

Cons

Higher Administration is overly rewarded, while productive faculty are not. There is no recognition of faculty accomplishment, no reward for publication, little support for it either. Faculty are on the whole of low morale. No one's job is secure. Salary freeze for liberal arts. New hires are paid more than people who have earned their oats, both in the classroom and larger academe.

Get rid of CFO. Respect your professors. Recognize intellectual substance. Stop rewarding mediocrity. Set sights for higher students. Use internal marketing staff, not people from mainland who have no idea what Hawaii is about. Get rid of deans without PhDs, and especially those who are far from the classroom environment.

It is a nice place to work, with friendly people.

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty (Instructor)  in  Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty (Instructor) in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Hawaii Pacific University part-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly people, nice students. It's a university, so you get non-teaching days off. I'm sure you can take sick days, but I never had to.

Cons

The pay isn't amazing for adjunct faculty, but it's ok. Many of the students require ESL help (except for the mainland students).

Create more tenure positions. Look into expanding the reach of the university through grants and outside funding. Consider approaching business (the other university does a terrible job catering to business - you could drive that wagon).

Work at Hawai'i Pacific University

I worked at Hawaii Pacific University

Pros

Lots of room to grow.
    Benefits fall in line with other companies.
    Expanding for future growth.
    College students can get a great education.

Cons

Management needs to recognize the low people on the totem pole.

Think about the work-a-bees and support them with all that they do for the university.

Worked for Hawaii Pacific University? Contribute to the Community!