Hawaii State Department of Education

9 years as a teacher

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Hawaii State Department of Education

Pros

Hawaii!! steady pay, good benefits

Cons

There are always some difficult people wherever you go, and I have had technology issues

Give teachers more direct control and access to technology. Things are bottle necked with coordinators

Teaching is one of the hardest jobs out there, but it's nice being surrounded by people who are passionate.

Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in Kailua Kona, HI
    Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in Kailua Kona, HI

I have been working at Hawaii State Department of Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

awesome breaks, great relationships, positive influence on community

Cons

Salary, job requirements in relation to compensation, inefficient beurocracy

Great first job, or retirement job

Former Employee - Data Processing Systems Analyst in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Data Processing Systems Analyst in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Hawaii State Department of Education full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Relaxing atmosphere. Advancements are steady, based on how many years worked you have worked. You work in mostly private cubicles.

Cons

Lot of people don't do anything and still get paid. If you work hard you will just get more work.

Find a way to have more performance based pay.

I am a high school teacher

Current Employee - Teacher in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Teacher in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Hawaii State Department of Education full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The students, benefits (vacation, health, retirement), and job stability. The students at my school are awesome! I work in the Leeward district. The vacation benefits are unlike any other profession, and Hawaii state worker benefits are very good.

Cons

The money is horrendously low for maintaining a decent lifestyle in Hawaii. I am a single person, and I struggle to support myself and my dog. Teachers are required to do more and more, which takes time away from being in the classroom.

Frustrating Bureaucracy

Current Employee - High School Counselor
    Current Employee - High School Counselor

Pros

Rewarding helping students to learn and become college and career ready. Holidays and summers off. Monday through Friday work.

Cons

Must work more than contract hours to be effective. Systems changes all the time. High expectations but not always the needed support.

Recognize dedication and good work regularly.

Twenty-four years as a Substitute Teacher

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Kahului, HI
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Kahului, HI

I worked at Hawaii State Department of Education part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Substitute Teaching has been a beautiful experience: loving "my kids," knowing they loved me in return, and helping them grow toward a useful, self-managed adulthood.

Cons

The pay is not the greatest, and if you are not "in" with the right people, gossip goes around...you might be dismissed on short notice without a hearing.

Dear Management: Please remember, we subs are as human as you. We deserve to have a hearing, if someone thinks we have not lived up to our best, or the DOE's best. On several occasions, I have been accused of not doing my best, but was not allowed to sit down and talk with my critic in the presence of witnesses: just the Vice-Principal, and a record-keeping "reporter" from the DOE.

A one-star rating is too high

I have been working at Hawaii State Department of Education

Pros

There are a few highly capable and committed individuals working in HIDE.

Cons

There are not enough highly capable and committed individuals working in HIDE, and there is a lot of dead wood -- employees who work there because HIDE leadership (and union pressure) supports the view that they have earned the right to embed themselves there or move up the ladder simply by putting in time, as opposed to earning such privileges by merit. HIDE's employment system also prevents talent from entering or remaining in its organization (why is three years of teaching in HI public school a requirement for positions that do not involve teaching or being in classrooms?) .

You are losing what little talent you have, and have artificial barriers that prevent talented individuals from staying and growing in your organization.

Substitute Teacher. Easy job.

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Hawaii State Department of Education full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I work in the leeward district and get a call about 80% of the days available. Jobs are pretty simple. Hardest part is handling the behavior of kids. Lesson plans are usually pretty simple.

Cons

No benefits. Can't really do much to "invest" in the lives of kids unless you decide to being a regular teacher.

Steady Employment and Benefits

Current Employee - School Administrative Services Assistant in Waianae, HI
    Current Employee - School Administrative Services Assistant in Waianae, HI

Pros

Decent Sick and Vacation Benefits, Retirement, optimal work hours

Cons

Lack of Support, constantly changing standards

Compensation needs an overhaul

Current Employee - User Support Technician in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - User Support Technician in Honolulu, HI

Pros

Good benefits, holidays, time off.

Cons

Promotions and raises are non-existant except for bargaining unit changes. Completely unrelated to your performance. An all-star gets the same pay as someone that barely meets minimum requirements. Old timers get paid 3-4 times as much as people 3-4 times smarter and more capable. Retirement plan for new hires is a joke. State spends millions on hardware and infrastructure but pennies on support workers.

Take a look at the state of current DPUSTs. You have some that are veteran administrators and some that can't trouble shoot basic errors. Compensation needs to be raised to a competitive level. Retaining good USTs at the current rate is incredibly difficult. Same issue with teachers I suppose. Can't pay enough to keep the good ones.