Hawaii State Department of Education

Randolph G. Moore

Frustrating Bureaucracy

Current Employee - High School Counselor
    Current Employee - High School Counselor

I have been working at Hawaii State Department of Education full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Rewarding helping students to learn and become college and career ready. Holidays and summers off. Monday through Friday work.

Cons

Must work more than contract hours to be effective. Systems changes all the time. High expectations but not always the needed support.

Recognize dedication and good work regularly.

Twenty-four years as a Substitute Teacher

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher  in  Kahului, HI
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Kahului, HI

I worked at Hawaii State Department of Education part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Substitute Teaching has been a beautiful experience: loving "my kids," knowing they loved me in return, and helping them grow toward a useful, self-managed adulthood.

Cons

The pay is not the greatest, and if you are not "in" with the right people, gossip goes around...you might be dismissed on short notice without a hearing.

Dear Management: Please remember, we subs are as human as you. We deserve to have a hearing, if someone thinks we have not lived up to our best, or the DOE's best. On several occasions, I have been accused of not doing my best, but was not allowed to sit down and talk with my critic in the presence of witnesses: just the Vice-Principal, and a record-keeping "reporter" from the DOE.

A one-star rating is too high

I have been working at Hawaii State Department of Education

Pros

There are a few highly capable and committed individuals working in HIDE.

Cons

There are not enough highly capable and committed individuals working in HIDE, and there is a lot of dead wood -- employees who work there because HIDE leadership (and union pressure) supports the view that they have earned the right to embed themselves there or move up the ladder simply by putting in time, as opposed to earning such privileges by merit. HIDE's employment system also prevents talent from entering or remaining in its organization (why is three years of teaching in HI public school a requirement for positions that do not involve teaching or being in classrooms?) .

You are losing what little talent you have, and have artificial barriers that prevent talented individuals from staying and growing in your organization.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Substitute Teacher. Easy job.

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher  in  Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Hawaii State Department of Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

I work in the leeward district and get a call about 80% of the days available. Jobs are pretty simple. Hardest part is handling the behavior of kids. Lesson plans are usually pretty simple.

Cons

No benefits. Can't really do much to "invest" in the lives of kids unless you decide to being a regular teacher.

Compensation needs an overhaul

Current Employee - User Support Technician  in  Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - User Support Technician in Honolulu, HI

Pros

Good benefits, holidays, time off.

Cons

Promotions and raises are non-existant except for bargaining unit changes. Completely unrelated to your performance. An all-star gets the same pay as someone that barely meets minimum requirements. Old timers get paid 3-4 times as much as people 3-4 times smarter and more capable. Retirement plan for new hires is a joke. State spends millions on hardware and infrastructure but pennies on support workers.

Take a look at the state of current DPUSTs. You have some that are veteran administrators and some that can't trouble shoot basic errors. Compensation needs to be raised to a competitive level. Retaining good USTs at the current rate is incredibly difficult. Same issue with teachers I suppose. Can't pay enough to keep the good ones.

Steady Employment and Benefits

Current Employee - School Administrative Services Assistant  in  Waianae, HI
    Current Employee - School Administrative Services Assistant in Waianae, HI

I have been working at Hawaii State Department of Education full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Decent Sick and Vacation Benefits, Retirement, optimal work hours

Cons

Lack of Support, constantly changing standards

As a teacher from the "mainland" I was subjected to such ridicule and high school cliques by other "local" teachers.

Former Employee - Elementary Teacher
    Former Employee - Elementary Teacher

I worked at Hawaii State Department of Education full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Hawaii is a beautiful state.

Cons

Unacceptable treatment of "mainlanders" from the "local" teacher!
    I am regular ed. certified but my first year I got placed in a special education classroom. I lost one whole year of acquiring seniority.
    The starting pay rate is ridiculously low!

My experience with Hawaii department of Education is very positive

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher  in  Kailua, HI
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Kailua, HI

I have been working at Hawaii State Department of Education part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best reason to work with the Hawaii Department of Education is the employee appreciation and rewarding

Cons

The worst thing about the work with the Department of Education is low pay and no benefits

TSEAs system does not aways work properly

great place to work

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Kealakekua, HI
    Former Employee - Teacher in Kealakekua, HI

I worked at Hawaii State Department of Education full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good pay and credit for continuing education

Cons

new evaluation system could use some clarification

sandwich criticism with praise

Satisfactory

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher  in  Kailua, HI
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Kailua, HI

I have been working at Hawaii State Department of Education as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Learning and rewarding experience for me.

Cons

The way subs are treated leaves much to be desired

n/a

Worked for Hawaii State Department of Education? Contribute to the Community!