Hawaii State Department of Education

Updated Jun 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Randolph G. Moore

Substitute Teacher. Easy job.

Honolulu, HI

ProsI work in the leeward district and get a call about 80% of the days available. Jobs are pretty simple. Hardest part is handling the behavior of kids. Lesson plans are usually pretty simple.

ConsNo benefits. Can't really do much to "invest" in the lives of kids unless you decide to being a regular teacher.

A one-star rating is too high

ProsThere are a few highly capable and committed individuals working in HIDE.

ConsThere are not enough highly capable and committed individuals working in HIDE, and there is a lot of dead wood -- employees who work there because HIDE leadership (and union pressure) supports the view that they have earned the right to embed themselves there or move up the ladder simply by putting in time, as opposed to earning such privileges by merit. HIDE's employment system also prevents talent from entering or remaining in its organization (why is three years of teaching in HI public school a requirement for positions that do not involve teaching or being in classrooms?) .

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are losing what little talent you have, and have artificial barriers that prevent talented individuals from staying and growing in your organization.

Steady Employment and Benefits

School Administrative Services Assistant (Current Employee)
    Waianae, HI

ProsDecent Sick and Vacation Benefits, Retirement, optimal work hours

ConsLack of Support, constantly changing standards

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Compensation needs an overhaul

User Support Technician (Current Employee)
    Honolulu, HI

ProsGood benefits, holidays, time off.

ConsPromotions and raises are non-existant except for bargaining unit changes. Completely unrelated to your performance. An all-star gets the same pay as someone that barely meets minimum requirements. Old timers get paid 3-4 times as much as people 3-4 times smarter and more capable. Retirement plan for new hires is a joke. State spends millions on hardware and infrastructure but pennies on support workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at the state of current DPUSTs. You have some that are veteran administrators and some that can't trouble shoot basic errors. Compensation needs to be raised to a competitive level. Retaining good USTs at the current rate is incredibly difficult. Same issue with teachers I suppose. Can't pay enough to keep the good ones.

My experience with Hawaii department of Education is very positive

Kailua, HI

ProsThe best reason to work with the Hawaii Department of Education is the employee appreciation and rewarding

ConsThe worst thing about the work with the Department of Education is low pay and no benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementTSEAs system does not aways work properly

As a teacher from the "mainland" I was subjected to such ridicule and high school cliques by other "local" teachers.

Elementary Teacher (Former Employee)

ProsHawaii is a beautiful state.

ConsUnacceptable treatment of "mainlanders" from the "local" teacher!
    I am regular ed. certified but my first year I got placed in a special education classroom. I lost one whole year of acquiring seniority.
    The starting pay rate is ridiculously low!

great place to work

Teacher (Former Employee)
    Kealakekua, HI

Prosgood pay and credit for continuing education

Consnew evaluation system could use some clarification

Advice to Senior Managementsandwich criticism with praise

Satisfactory

Kailua, HI

ProsLearning and rewarding experience for me.

ConsThe way subs are treated leaves much to be desired

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Break up the Hawaii State Department of Education.

Special Education Teacher (Former Employee)
    Honolulu, HI

ProsGood pay and benefits. And breaks.

ConsMost of the kids are a pain in the butt. if their parents would take the time to teach them SOMETHING like their alphabet or counting numbers and good manners then maybe they wouldn't be so bad. Instead, a lot of the parents with the worst kids are the biggest complainers.

Most of the public elementary school teachers on the island of Oahu are probably the worst co-workers I have ever had. They're always bossing you around and if they can't get their way--they're complaining about it. Most of them are also talking crap about you behind your back. On my very first day, I was told not to talk to anyone because whatever I say can be used against me. That's how horrible the environment is at most of the public elementary schools on Oahu.

Most principals have their favorites regardless if they're good workers or not. It all comes down to who's talking crap about whom. And who's making the principal look good.

Most public elementary schools in Hawaii teach only 2 subjects on 4 out of 5 days of the week: language arts and math. Forget about the kids learning science and social studies or art, music and P.E. It's all an after thought.

Forget about whether your students understand the material or not. You have to follow a ridiculous pacing guide. And some principals are expecting special education students to score 80% or higher on the state exams! How can SPED students or low-level students score 80% or higher on the state exams when the teachers are teaching the material so fast?!

Most public elementary schools on the island of Oahu don't care about the SPED students. If they did, they they would have SPED teachers teaching them for the entire day instead of EA's. And they would hire behavior specialists to teach some of the SPED students how to function in an inclusion classroom. I cannot tell you how many SPED students do not know how to behave in an inclusion classroom. I also cannot tell you how many SPED students academically do not belong in an inclusion classroom.

That's the state of the Hawaii State Dept. of Education.

Advice to Senior Management1. Don't put SPED students in inclusion classrooms unless they belong there.

2. Don't be afraid to send elementary school students to summer school if they're flunking their classes. Or hold them back for a year. That'll teach the parents to take their kids' education more seriously.

3. Pay more. I think it's ridiculous that a teacher who has been teaching for 7 or more years is making only a few thousand dollars more than a new hire.

4. Have a better mentoring system. My mentor was TERRIBLE. I hardly ever saw her.

5. Monitor the principals more. Too many of them are getting away with murder.

Flexible Schedule, payroll needs fixing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSubstitute teaching is flexible, great pay compared to other states

ConsPayroll is confusing, paychecks are not always accurate.

Advice to Senior Managementfix the payroll issue

Worked for Hawaii State Department of Education? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hawaii State Department of Education reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hawaii State Department of Education CEO Randolph G. Moore. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Hawaii State Department of Education employees.