Hawaiian Electric Company Reviews

1. Good Company

Current Employee - Analyst in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Analyst in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Hawaiian Electric Company full-time

Pros

Great benefits and most areas are pretty flexible if you have a family obligation/emergency. Lots of opportunities for volunteer work.

Cons

Not sure direction the company will be taking if it goes through a likely merger.

2. Is this the same company that I knew?

I have been working at Hawaiian Electric Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Partial traditional pension for new hires, traditional & Roth 401K available, relatively generous compensation, great health and miscellaneous benefits packages.

Cons

Very old company-still stuck in the 20th century, loves to consume paper at staggering rates, slow/no promotions or growth opportunities, lack of interdepartmental communications, accountability at a minimum.

Advice to Management

Fight for employees, not against adversaries. WeConnect only works when everyone is acknowledge for their contributions, when its due, and to give a solid reason why we need to have more pride for who we work for. I don't think I've ever seen any employees ever wear their company t-shirts in public on a weekend when we don't have a company sponsored volunteer event?

3. Good Company for Those Willing to Work Hard

I have been working at Hawaiian Electric Company full-time

Pros

Good benefits, new CEO and a greater focus on employees

Cons

Trying to do too much with a lot of external drivers.

Advice to Management

Pick a path to follow and stick with it. Get ahead of the public opinions.

5. Reliable

I worked at Hawaiian Electric Company

Pros

I enjoyed working in the license management department as the individuals there were very helpful in equipping me to finish my work especially when license management was particularly new to me.

Cons

I struggled to find other co-workers to talk with as our department was particularly smaller than most.

6. Slow moving, favoritism to locals, conflicts in leadership priorities

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Hawaiian Electric Company

Pros

The overall easy-going nature of of HECO's IT departments means that you can get away with a lot. Standards are low, and there are no apparent measures of performance. Salaries and benefits are good, if you can get hired.

Cons

Different segments of management will hold you to different standards and will have conflicting expectations. You can expect to receive almost no support from the core staff. To get anything done, you will gradually acquire greater and greater access until you can actually do everything yourself.

7. Good employer, lots of career development opportunities

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Hawaiian Electric Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, pension, healthcare. Infrastructure systems are really good. Lots of new work.

Cons

Lots of work. More people driven than process driven. No work from home policy.

8. Mainland consultants do most of technical work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Hawaiian Electric Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good health and sick leave package and plenty of floating holidays. People that work here are friendly and respectful. Some of the highest paid union utility workers in the US, but not so good if you're not in the union.

Cons

Any Hawaiian University tech grad who wants a job with HECO is better off working for a mainland consultant unless they want to be a PM. The union has crippled the use of technology by not updating the jobs in 20 years, so engineers are afraid to try anything new, especially with methods that are 20 years old. "Mandatory" community service makes me feel like a criminal as a performance review shouldn't be based on participation.

Advice to Management

Management is in a bubble, and really need to look at the capabilities in-house before being quick on the consultant hiring trigger. Performance reviews need to be realistic especially when a person has gone beyond the job description for the good of the company.

9. Stressful

Current Employee - Customer Service in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Hawaiian Electric Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits. Fast pace environment so day goes by quickly.

Cons

Never ending work load, constant upset customers, lack of management support. No room for advancement

Advice to Management

Hire more. Reps are buried in work. Relief would be greatly appreciated

10. Good company for employment but bad company reputation in the state

I have been working at Hawaiian Electric Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ Good benefits and pay for Hawaii + Good company culture of volunteering in the community and employee professional development + Renewable energy projects in the next 10 years could be challenging and rewarding work

Cons

- The reputation of the company is not too good due to high eletricity rate

Friendly people to work with, but job is more of a project management position than an engineer position.

Current Employee - Power Plant Mechanical Designer II in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Power Plant Mechanical Designer II in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Hawaiian Electric Company

Pros

Good benefits, nice friendly people (most of the time), really good job security, forgiving when mistakes are made.

Cons

Pay is fair for the cost of living in Honolulu, don't really do much engineering its more of a project manager position, no overtime pay, but you end up working 40 - 60 hours a week.

RSS Feed </> Embed