Hawaiian Telcom

Add Photos

Eric K. Yeaman

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Major Account Executive

Major Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hawaiian Telcom full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou get to work in Hawaii. Quota is achievable. Telecom background is a huge help.

ConsThe company's backend systems are fragmented so there is a lot of manual work. The company culture could be improved.

So much opportunity surrounded by so much ineptitude

Senior Network Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hawaiian Telcom full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThis company has the opportunity to innovate the way both consumers and telecoms provide service. There are some very talented and hard working top-tier employees - it's what keeps HT functioning. Oh, and the weather is normally great.

ConsWith such a proud history it's too bad mid-management runs the company and its staff into the ground. There are so many posts regarding politics as the primary issue. That's just the byproduct of the bigger issue. Management lacks the necessary direction to steer HT into a great telcom. They either attempt to copy what the large telcom companies do - which they cannot scale downwards to match the size of a small telco or mid-managers try to implement programs which only benefit their own departments. It's no wonder why HT cannot keep imported mainland talent more than 18 months before they bail.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut out the cancerous management that has plagued the company for many years. They poison and corrupt any opportunity the new management has of turning HT around. A company cannot white-wash the stained internal politics and underhanded position jockeying with canned cultural values. If no one is serious about making a change soon then liquidate or sell to someone that can.

poor management

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hawaiian Telcom full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are many talented individuals at the working level. There are lots of opportunities to succeed

ConsThe company has poor direction. With proper leadership and innovation this company could do very well.

Advice to Senior Managementthin out the top layer

My outlook on the company and its goals and priorities have decreased steadily over time.

I have been working at Hawaiian Telcom full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCompensation is reasonable, there are many opportunities to learn given the large number of departments and the people are great.

ConsEmployee morale is low, because: upper management is out of touch with the realities faced by individual contributors, middle level management is constantly jockeying for position, it is very political, company is out of touch with the market. People our doing what's in their own best interest and there is no unity across the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf long-term success is desired, fix the culture issue.

old boy politics

Senior Network Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Hawaiian Telcom full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIf you're a working level person that likes to learn a variety of new things, it's the place for you. Once you establish yourself as a "problem solver", you can jump into nearly every problem and build a great set of skills.

ConsAs much of the reviews have said and EVERYONE in the company knows. The problem is middle and upper management; mostly the former. Middle management has been a problem since the Verizon cutover. Sure, there are a bunch of intelligent people in middle management but there are also some really bad ones; ones that speak eloquently and pass off blame but deliver next to nothing. Upper management is also at fault as they cycle through people every 2-3 years, bringing new middle management from previous companies with them. Good intentions but no historical context. Furthermore, they get conned into believing the middle management that speak well. All in all, a vicious cycle.

I loved the peers I worked with on a daily basis. The reason I left was really because there was zero accountability and way too much politics that got in the way of sound "business or technology decisions." Altogether very sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake a conscious decision to leave behind the idea that "we are a big company." You really aren't. I've rarely (if ever) seen an SMT member leave the 17th floor to take a good hard look at what the real problems are at the working level. Strange...considering a good chunk of the workforce is within the same building... Whether, you want to believe it or not, there are a handful of key people at the working level that have great ideas to the big problems. Take the time to identify them and listen to what they have to say.

Current Employee

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hawaiian Telcom full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFamily orientated company, upward mobility.

ConsStatic job, revolving door of leadership

Hideous office politics - who you know, not what you know

I have been working at Hawaiian Telcom full-time for more than 8 years

Prossome employee benefits from the collective bargaining agreement

ConsManagement team is there to "manage", not to work as a part of the team; therefore, they're clueless about how to solve problems. When problems occur, they're good at pointing fingers and back stabbing each other and employees, who are not on their good side.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring your friends and family members who don't have knowledge and/or experience for the jobs. It shows in their work ethics. Respect is earned, but in many cases, it's given. You created the FAST values, but you don't follow it.

No future

Senior Network Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hawaiian Telcom full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGet paid to talk story most of the day.

ConsNo future unless you're someone's golf buddy. No incentive to work hard. The lazy people get less work and the productive people have to pick up the slack. Lack of leadership. Executives get laid off yearly and they always tell the employees they left for personal reasons (bunch of bull). Huge red flag. Company can't survive as a stand alone company while competing with the big boys.

Advice to Senior ManagementMorale is low and stop hiring your buddies that add no value. You should all be replaced. I've seen no improvement at all since Verizon sold the company to Hawaiian Telcom.

Software engineer

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Hawaiian Telcom full-time for less than a year

ProsPay, Benefits, reduced internet costs

ConsStressful wok environment, not a 9-5 job, expect overtime

Sinking Ship, Different agendas

I have been working at Hawaiian Telcom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros* Too much of free time for fun activities like gossiping and going on 11am runs with co-workers.
* You get to stay in Paradise working for this company..

ConsWhere Do I begin.

* extremely poor and belligerent leadership.
* Business has no sense or idea about technology and are extremely incompetent when defining requirements for IT team
* Every individuals motive in this company is to keep their job safe, so they avoid innovation as much as possible as it upsets senior management and keep everyone's hands tied.
* No proper channeling of work to contract or Full time employees, Most of them get paid top dollar to just laze around and talk stories with colleagues.
* Extremely Poor and callous decision making while hiring full time employees for IT team, most of them don't know jack about anything and are hired just because they are "local", most of them get fired or quit within a year.

Worked for Hawaiian Telcom? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hawaiian Telcom reviews and ratings in Honolulu, HI — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hawaiian Telcom CEO Eric K. Yeaman. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Hawaiian Telcom employees.