Hawk Ridge Systems

www.hawkridgesys.com

Hawk Ridge Systems Reviews

Updated May 23, 2014
Hawk Ridge Systems – San Diego – “Our big moment!”

Dale Ford

Smart company. Well-run company.

Inside Sales (Current Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

ProsThe only limit to your success at this company is you! If you are talented & hard-working, you will reap the benefits. The company has GREAT APPRECIATION for star employees. They pay well. Pay VERY well as you advance & show your value to the team.

ConsI wish they would match 401k contributions, but I think that will happen in due time. Company is growing rapidly!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep-up the good work! Steve, Dale & Sheree are great owners & super people.

Be Part of a Great Sales Team

Sales (Current Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsWork Hard, Be Rewarded...you're selling a great product, one that has the most users within it's space & working for the #1 worldwide re-seller - it's a no-brainer. Take direction well/be a good listener, it's hard now to succeed here. Numerous employees with 10+ years of experience here, if you are able to take advantage of these resources, you will move up in your career & make more money. Pretty much an 8-5 gig, so good work/life balance.

ConsYou will not have your hand-held ramping up here. If you don't require this, can think outside the box, have thick skin, and stick to what is most important (SELLING!) - you will flourish.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it Up

Two years with the company and I am very pleased with the atmosphere.

Account Manager (Current Employee)

ProsHawk Ridge has experienced a lot of growth before I came to the company and has continued to grow since I have been here. Since I have been with the company many new products and opportunities have been rolled out. These new products and services allow for my further personal development within the company. Hawk Ridge is still a family owned company and they do treat their employees like extended family. The team environment in each office is above average in my opinion.

ConsWith any company that experiences a solid amount of growth year after year there will be some growing pains involved. This can create small bumps in the road for certain business arms at Hawk Ridge. Management does do a good job of evaluating these changes as they are rolled out and makes the appropriate adjustments as needed.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith offices spread across two countries and multiple locations throughout the US, Hawk Ridge serves a lot of different businesses, industries, and specific markets. The onboarding and training process may not be one size fits all for all locations. Training and the sales process should be better catered to each geographical location.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

"Best company I have ever worked for"

Account Manager (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsWe get to work for a great company selling an awesome product and have the opportunity to make good money along the way. I'm not sure you could ask for more then that. When I first started I was told their was a career path and opportunity for advancement from within. I was only here a few month's and I already got a promotion and have had another one since.

We work very hard but we play hard as well. We are a large company but it still feels small. I work in Southern California and we have a great working dynamic down here. We also still get to work closely with people from other regions and have company events which are a lot of fun.

Our management provides us with all the tools that we need to be successful. If you enjoy being challenged to constantly get better, learning and making good money this is a great place to work.

ConsHonestly I have had numerous sales jobs and this is by far the best one I have ever had. I can't think of any cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementTheir is a great career path here and we are in a position to continue to grow as a company. My advice would be to continue that path.

A Learning Experience

Reseller (Former Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsSolidWorks is an interesting product, with fascinating customers and generally a really intelligent community of users and developers. Should you have the right connections or timing you could do pretty well for yourself for a year or two in the right territory with the right products. Some awesome employees are really great and intelligent. There are some entertaining people and personalities that work there.

ConsThe culture is very exclusive, you are either "in" or on your way "out". In Oakland/Orinda there is a very old school mentality, and the fringe benefits are nonexistent. Few paid holidays, and it's scary how much the place is like "Office Space" only more unbelievable. If you like your employer to truly care about your well being, this is not the place for you. The nicest thing they do for employees is an occasional trip to the local burrito joint. There is no gratitude, and they reward success with a higher quota, for no increase in compensation. The most worrisome fact is that this is a reseller, and as such they really are not in control of their own destiny. Some things, like family, are more important than work, however, not here. Expect to work everyday other than the day of Holidays.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example. Obviously, you should listen to your employees, and make an effort to share in the success.

Good Learning Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood work life balance. 8-5. Good compensation for expected work.

ConsNot a lot of career movement as this is a mostly service/sales role. Compensation is somewhat low compared to if you went into engineering design.

Hawk Ridge Systems HR Manager responded to this review

May 10, 2014

We have added numerous products in the last year and are growing like crazy - there will be lots of growth!

Unless you're in sales, DON'T.

Anonymous (Current Employee) Orinda, CA

ProsThe sales guys do pretty well for themselves, so it's not a bad choice if you're a salesperson, I guess.

ConsOwners are incredibly stingy and are INCREDIBLY strict and rigid. Not just "have high expectations" - they micromanage the crap out of us. And they very clearly don't care at all about offering basic employee comforts. There's not even a basic water cooler - if you want water, drink tap water. Personal space heaters are not allowed even if it's freezing cold in the building. Things like that. The owners have a "treat your (non-sales) employees like misbehaving children no matter how well they're doing" approach that makes it a miserable place to work, even though the work itself is fine.

Advice to Senior ManagementLOOSEN UP. Start valuing your employees - NOT JUST THE SALES GUYS - and treating them like part of the company rather than burdens you're stuck managing.

It's a small company that is doing well and growing into a larger company quickly.

Account Subscription Manager (Former Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsOverall it's a good company whose management is taking solid steps to make it a better company to make money and work at.

ConsStill working about changes, but on the right track.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Let's face it, a company is about people, and these people are smart and successful, making it a great place to work.

Professional Person (Current Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsThe offices are all pretty small so no matter where you work you feel like you are part of a small company. We sell a great product which is really fun to talk about and demonstrate. Expectations are high and that is why our results have always been so good.

ConsSome people are disappointed because the owners are not perceived as generous (no match on the 401k) but the sales compensation plans are very generous. It really depends on how you define generous and what is important to you.
    The people who don't succeed here are the ones who fight the culture. We are growing and changing and some people cannot cope with that. It really just boils down to knowing yourself, what work environment is good for you, then go find it. If the expectations seem high, you have to step up and do better. If you don't *want* to do better, you are in the wrong company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe only advice I would have given to management is to loosen the reins a bit - three owners cannot directly supervise over 100 employees in two countries - but they just announced some internal promotions and new manager openings so we were very happy to see that change.

Hawk Ridge Systems HR Manager responded to this review

May 10, 2014

The structure of the company has completely changed in the past two years. Many of our team members have been promoted into management roles as we build the infrastructure to support our growth. It ... More

Great Opportunity !!

Account Subscription Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe culture of the place is very friendly so its easy to work along with team or coworkers. Great support from Sales Manager.

Conslack of sick days and vacation period.

Advice to Senior ManagementPositive reinforcement works much better than micro management.

Worked for Hawk Ridge Systems? Contribute to the Community!