Haworth

Haworth Reviews

Updated Mar 27, 2014

Haworth President and CEO Franco Bianchi

Franco Bianchi

Pros:
  • "Good people that care, but aren't very passionate about furniture"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Nice building and office furniture"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "The executive leadership was more interested in their own personal opinions than hearing the staff comments"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Company places undue burden on their dealers"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good place but don't expect to get promoted

I have been working at Haworth full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGREAT BUILDING to work in.
Good pay, but it's not competitive and certainly doesn't keep up over time.
Relatively low stress work environment. You can manage the workload but you can also go overboard.
Good people that care, but aren't very passionate about furniture.
You're allowed to work from home which is a great benefit.
Financially stable, which is also excellent.
Company reputation in the market is improving.
Great corporate values.

ConsVERY LIMITED GROWTH. This is a flat organization and if you want pay/job to keep up with the market, you have to lobby to create a new position, move laterally, or leave the company. Don't expect to end your career here and climb the ladder of responsibility.

Tendency to hire outside people than let internal folks grow into a new role. The company claims a 75% internal promotion GOAL but falls well short of that in reality.

Lots of folks at higher levels that are simply camped out until they retire which stifles creativity, innovation, and risk taking.

Very cost conscious culture which could be a "pro" but not when it stifles the opportunity to take healthy risks or break the design paradigm. This cost culture also is the main reason why the organization stays very flat. "We don't have enough money" yet the shareholders make millions and millions of dollars.

Some departments have terrible cultures because of the leadership in those groups. If you are considering making a change or be hired in, pay attention to the leadership styles and expectations of each department. They can feel as different as European countries.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to keep your talent, particularly the younger professionals, you need to compensate and promote a rate faster than you think the market is moving. Take risks. It's OK to let someone lead a new project, take on a new role, move into a different area of the business, be exposed to leadership. Experiment with new and uncomfortable designs. Stop pulling from the same tool box all the time. Take a hit on GP to offer the customer something they would delight in. Make customer experience the focus instead of dollars. If you delight the customer, the dollars will come.

To the executive leadership, stay engaged and directly exposed to the boots on the ground. Many of us need to understand the vision and feel inspired in the direction you're taking us. You also need to right size middle managers that are camped out. They are stifling the potential of the business. You need a new guard. Having folks that have been with the company 25-35 years isn't necessarily an asset unless you are challenging them to innovate constantly (which you aren't). HMS is about being efficient, not about being effective. Maybe we are being efficient with the wrong tools...

The experience was a mixed one

Zeeland, MI

I have been working at Haworth full-time

ProsTraining opportunities are immense. Have never had that level of access to In-class as well as on-line training in whatever subject area you wanted to access. This included training outside of your chosen area of vocation.

ConsOld non-integrated systems; An office culture that demonstrably shows a lack of engagement by Corporate members throughout the majority of the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a distinct disconnect between what the Executive preaches ( or believes ), and what is truly the state of operations within the company. The Annual engagement results point toward downstream negative results in the years to come

Once-great company going in the wrong direction.

I worked at Haworth full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey do many things right. Huge emphasis on training. Structured performance evaluations done on time. Continuous improvement valued & invested in. Overall the work force is strong - capable, hard working and many with long tenure. Strong commitment to the environment; their HQ/main plant is LEED Platinum with zero landfill. Good record of charitable giving and community involvement.

ConsNo work-life balance, and zero interest in it. Dangerous to disagree with senior management, and can be dangerous to tell the truth. A culture of blame. Weak information systems. Morale is low and pessimism is growing at the grass roots level.

Great individuals but very poor leadership.

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
Holland, MI

I worked at Haworth as a contractor for more than a year

ProsA great story that derives from a great heritage. Once innovators. Some great individuals who still believe in themselves and the Haworth family tradition.

ConsMany of the folks who actually move the business for the Haworth family have been doing so way before many restructuring waves hit this industry - now they suffer from a direction-less layer of chiefs who spend their time with pampering their egos, nepotism and brown-nosing.
The result being a mediocre product offering, next to no innovation and lacking all a brand needs: focus, differentiation, clarity and consistency.
All additional comments here would be repetitive to the quite consistent and clear constructive criticism expressed on this platform, which I fully second.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo owners: Rethink your C-level.

Low salary and confusing bonus plan. Zero recognition of experience. Salaries are set.

Business Development Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Haworth full-time for more than a year

ProsCompany will stand behind product.

ConsThey lavishly reward marketing - not sales. Glass structure in Holland is a bubble. Obsessed with their own marketing skills and brand.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnless the company intends to drive talent away, put the mirror down and stop being so cheap with experienced employees. Turnover is a symptom. Left untreated it will kill entire markets. HR has no sense of confidentiality or mediation. Micromanaging dealers and salespeople aren't solutions to rectify managers with personality disorders. Don't invite the CFO to brag about the excessive cash reserves to salespeople who are forced to create their own sales tools due to lack of internal resources.

Review

I worked at Haworth full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNice building and office furniture

ConsNot many, its a pretty good place to work

Understaffed because is a cheap private company

Senior Systems Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Haworth full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLocation is good; Small town near the lake;

ConsEmployees are not respected; Salaries are sub-par;

Advice to Senior ManagementStop saying "just do it". Time to figure out what is required to run the business and support your projects with appropriate resources.

Was a great company. Has lost amazing amounts of great talent.

I have been working at Haworth full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBenefits package is fair and compensation middle ground.

ConsHas become very cut throat. It is who you know, not what you know. Upper management is out of touch with how the rest of the company feels and views them. Extremely abrasive in manner in which members are treated. Values are no longer important. Has a very well known record of demoting. Must behave as a robot vs. a thinking, smart individual. Treat people like they are stupid. Very unfortunate the company has taken this turn. People cannot wait to get out the door and they do not care anymore. Refuse to be verbally abused by upper management. Extremely high turnover among salaried ranks. That tells the entire picture.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue. The recent changes in upper management have not been for the better. In the short term their leadership style works. In the long term it will cause suffering for the company. Cannot treat your people like they are unimportant and robots. Very sad to watch.

A bright future for the company (and its members) if we can pull together.

I have been working at Haworth full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat leadership training with focus on continuous improvement, continuous development, and employee engagement. Good strategy (although not communicated well). Fantastic office! A lot of flexibility with work hours, work location, etc., when practical. Good benefits.

Cons1) Strategy and goals are far too complex to be cascaded down and across using communication methods. 2) Despite the company's efforts, some leaders (at every level) are not onboard with where we are trying to go, how we plan to get there, and that THEY need to grease the skids. 3) Silos feel like they are sustained from the top. 4) Compensation plan attracts unexceptional workers and, as a result, sustains unexceptional performance.

Advice to Senior Management1) Get expert, professional assistance on how to communicate strategy and goals to audiences at multiple levels. EVERY SINGLE MEMBER should understand what it means for them. Don't expect individual leaders to figure out WHAT to communicate and HOW. Get an expert to help them, especially when it comes to cascading goals and writing them out in a way that makes sense. 2) If we are willing to pay for it, we might be able to attract the best talent available, and develop and retain those already on the payroll. If not, we will get and keep what we pay for. 3) We don't want leaders who will settle for mediocrity. We want leaders who can set the stage for success. Either do that or, please, get out of our way.

Long Slow Slog at Office Furniture Manufacturing plant!

I worked at Haworth full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat Employees that give it their all, EVERY DAY!!! Middle and Lower management seem to do the best with the tool that trickle down from the top.

ConsLine workers are temps that work on dangerous machinery like saws and presses with no medical and vision insurance coverage.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company is highly profitable. Bring all employees onto fulltime making them equal partners and provide them ample coverage for the excellent work they achieve daily for you ladies and gentlemen!

Worked for Haworth? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Haworth reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Haworth CEO Franco Bianchi. All 53 reviews posted anonymously by Haworth employees.