Haworth

Updated December 22, 2014
2.8

Haworth President and CEO Franco Bianchi
Franco Bianchi

Pros
  • Good people that care, but aren't very passionate about furniture (in 6 reviews)

• Location in West Michigan, beautiful building, decent compensation and benefits, very good work life balance, many nice people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Many old non-integrated systems - checking multiple systems to ensure something is correct is very inefficient (in 3 reviews)

• Co-existence of manufacturing and catalogue codes requires huge amount of time from dealers to decipher an invoice (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Understaffed because is a cheap private company

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Holland, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Holland, MI

I have been working at Haworth full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Location is good; Small town near the lake;

Cons

Employees are not respected; Salaries are sub-par;

Stop saying "just do it". Time to figure out what is required to run the business and support your projects with appropriate resources.

Review

I worked at Haworth full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice building and office furniture

Cons

Not many, its a pretty good place to work

Was a great company. Has lost amazing amounts of great talent.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holland, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holland, MI

I have been working at Haworth full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits package is fair and compensation middle ground.

Cons

Has become very cut throat. It is who you know, not what you know. Upper management is out of touch with how the rest of the company feels and views them. Extremely abrasive in manner in which members are treated. Values are no longer important. Has a very well known record of demoting. Must behave as a robot vs. a thinking, smart individual. Treat people like they are stupid. Very unfortunate the company has taken this turn. People cannot wait to get out the door and they do not care anymore. Refuse to be verbally abused by upper management. Extremely high turnover among salaried ranks. That tells the entire picture.

Get a clue. The recent changes in upper management have not been for the better. In the short term their leadership style works. In the long term it will cause suffering for the company. Cannot treat your people like they are unimportant and robots. Very sad to watch.

A bright future for the company (and its members) if we can pull together.

I have been working at Haworth full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great leadership training with focus on continuous improvement, continuous development, and employee engagement. Good strategy (although not communicated well). Fantastic office! A lot of flexibility with work hours, work location, etc., when practical. Good benefits.

Cons

1) Strategy and goals are far too complex to be cascaded down and across using communication methods. 2) Despite the company's efforts, some leaders (at every level) are not onboard with where we are trying to go, how we plan to get there, and that THEY need to grease the skids. 3) Silos feel like they are sustained from the top. 4) Compensation plan attracts unexceptional workers and, as a result, sustains unexceptional performance.

1) Get expert, professional assistance on how to communicate strategy and goals to audiences at multiple levels. EVERY SINGLE MEMBER should understand what it means for them. Don't expect individual leaders to figure out WHAT to communicate and HOW. Get an expert to help them, especially when it comes to cascading goals and writing them out in a way that makes sense. 2) If we are willing to pay for it, we might be able to attract the best talent available, and develop and retain those already on the payroll. If not, we will get and keep what we pay for. 3) We don't want leaders who will settle for mediocrity. We want leaders who can set the stage for success. Either do that or, please, get out of our way.

Long Slow Slog at Office Furniture Manufacturing plant!

I worked at Haworth full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Employees that give it their all, EVERY DAY!!! Middle and Lower management seem to do the best with the tool that trickle down from the top.

Cons

Line workers are temps that work on dangerous machinery like saws and presses with no medical and vision insurance coverage.

This company is highly profitable. Bring all employees onto fulltime making them equal partners and provide them ample coverage for the excellent work they achieve daily for you ladies and gentlemen!

Knowledge Worker in Corporate Office

I worked at Haworth full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Nice building. Flexible work hours.

Cons

Very confusing direction from management. They have us waste time and money on things that don't help, and then insist we must "do more with less" and do it faster and better. They announce to the world (owners, customers, dealers, employees) that things are going just fine when we just told them we're not going to meet a deadline. There is also a lot of infighting among executives.

Keep in mind that we can see and hear you, and a lot of what you say and do doesn't make sense to us.

Hired too many inept leadership folks from the competitors.

Current Employee - Designer in Holland, MI
    Current Employee - Designer in Holland, MI

I have been working at Haworth full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice Michigan facility. Great brand. Well made and engineered products. A great group of people to work with.

Cons

Ineffective to poor mid management. Leadership of the organization seems to be waning. A little too much nepotism. Lots of rewards for brown nosing rather than delivering results. We have lost key people due to the hiring of bad managers.

It's hard for me to commit to a future with the company when I don’t envision a place for my skills. We haven't trained on our products for years. Specification and installation issues continue to erode our sales and cost of sales. Events are not specification and installation training.

GW would be disappointed.......

I worked at Haworth full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are good. Corporate headquarters are beautiful.

Cons

Management is out of touch. Compensation extremely low for the industry. Company places undue burden on their dealers. Cut corners so much they're way understaffed. It seems to be company standard to not answer phone calls or return emails. Extremely high turnover in the sales force (but that creates job opportunities, right?).

Stop cutting corners. Hire enough people to get the job done. And compensate them.

Enjoyable first job after under-grad

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Holland, MI
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Holland, MI

I worked at Haworth full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Although I was just a marketing associate, I was treated with respect and dignity by all of my colleagues even those in positions several notches ahead of mine. My opinions and limited experience were respected and taken into consideration at all meetings. I got the opportunity to learn a lot and was given a significant amount of responsibility considering my age & lack of experience. Haworth is a lean company and as an employee you are expected to fill many roles. As a young professional, this affords you the opportunity to gain experience in many different areas.

Cons

The work culture of Haworth, similar to the region in which its global HQ is located, is very conservative, risk-averse and cliquey. I was shocked to experience a high level of gossiping in the office and a general trend of favoritism. Haworth HQ could use more diversity.

Lead by example in minimizing cliquey and gossip-ridden work culture. Think outside the box and maybe take some more risks to gain an edge over competitors.

Team leader in manufacturing

I have been working at Haworth full-time

Pros

Great benefits, private company, opportunity to advance your education

Cons

Policies not followed the same way throughout the company.