Haworth Reviews

Updated October 13, 2014
2.9

Haworth President and CEO Franco Bianchi
Franco Bianchi

Pros
  • Good people that care, but aren't very passionate about furniture (in 6 reviews)

• Location in West Michigan, beautiful building, decent compensation and benefits, very good work life balance, many nice people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Many old non-integrated systems - checking multiple systems to ensure something is correct is very inefficient (in 3 reviews)

• Co-existence of manufacturing and catalogue codes requires huge amount of time from dealers to decipher an invoice (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Knowledge Worker in Corporate Office

I worked at Haworth full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Nice building. Flexible work hours.

Cons

Very confusing direction from management. They have us waste time and money on things that don't help, and then insist we must "do more with less" and do it faster and better. They announce to the world (owners, customers, dealers, employees) that things are going just fine when we just told them we're not going to meet a deadline. There is also a lot of infighting among executives.

Keep in mind that we can see and hear you, and a lot of what you say and do doesn't make sense to us.

Hired too many inept leadership folks from the competitors.

Current Employee - Designer in Holland, MI
    Current Employee - Designer in Holland, MI

I have been working at Haworth full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice Michigan facility. Great brand. Well made and engineered products. A great group of people to work with.

Cons

Ineffective to poor mid management. Leadership of the organization seems to be waning. A little too much nepotism. Lots of rewards for brown nosing rather than delivering results. We have lost key people due to the hiring of bad managers.

It's hard for me to commit to a future with the company when I don’t envision a place for my skills. We haven't trained on our products for years. Specification and installation issues continue to erode our sales and cost of sales. Events are not specification and installation training.

GW would be disappointed.......

I worked at Haworth full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are good. Corporate headquarters are beautiful.

Cons

Management is out of touch. Compensation extremely low for the industry. Company places undue burden on their dealers. Cut corners so much they're way understaffed. It seems to be company standard to not answer phone calls or return emails. Extremely high turnover in the sales force (but that creates job opportunities, right?).

Stop cutting corners. Hire enough people to get the job done. And compensate them.

Enjoyable first job after under-grad

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Holland, MI
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Holland, MI

I worked at Haworth full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Although I was just a marketing associate, I was treated with respect and dignity by all of my colleagues even those in positions several notches ahead of mine. My opinions and limited experience were respected and taken into consideration at all meetings. I got the opportunity to learn a lot and was given a significant amount of responsibility considering my age & lack of experience. Haworth is a lean company and as an employee you are expected to fill many roles. As a young professional, this affords you the opportunity to gain experience in many different areas.

Cons

The work culture of Haworth, similar to the region in which its global HQ is located, is very conservative, risk-averse and cliquey. I was shocked to experience a high level of gossiping in the office and a general trend of favoritism. Haworth HQ could use more diversity.

Lead by example in minimizing cliquey and gossip-ridden work culture. Think outside the box and maybe take some more risks to gain an edge over competitors.

Team leader in manufacturing

I have been working at Haworth full-time

Pros

Great benefits, private company, opportunity to advance your education

Cons

Policies not followed the same way throughout the company.

Cubicles R US

Former Employee - Sales in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Sales in Lansing, MI

I worked at Haworth full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Haworth employees receive steady salaries and benefits. As a family owned company they allow for maternity leave and medical leave.

Cons

As the only family owned company among its major competitors the company is less agile at responding to management challenges than publicly traded companies.

Very good learning experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holland, MI

I have been working at Haworth as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everybody in the company is very friendly. Haworth's values are very good. Everybody was willing to help me whenever I needed help. Great company to start with. Great building.

Cons

I have heard that the pay is not the best. Not a lot of direction with assignments that are given.

Amazing people and feels anything but corporate.

Current Employee - Electronic Specifications and Visual Tools Software Programmer in Holland, MI

I have been working at Haworth full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people, flexibility, freedom and career growth. Management allows complete freedom in how you get things done as long as you get them done. Hours are very flexible and allow for personal time when you need it. The benefits package is top notch and I have no complaints with them. Team dynamic is very important and I get along with everyone I've gotten to know thus far. There is always enough work to do, you will never feel bored, but you won't have to work insane hours either. it allows for a good balance of both your career and your personal life.

Cons

It can take time to implement company wide changes.

More collaboration between teams so things don't need to be said over and over.

Private Company - Family Leadership - Strong People

Former Employee - In the Middle in Holland, MI
    Former Employee - In the Middle in Holland, MI

I worked at Haworth full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Family leadership and strong involvement is crucial for future success
    Great people, strong relationships
    Many long time Members keep culture going despite dis functional executive team
    Great Benefits and Great Pay (at least when bonuses are paid)

Cons

Bull pen atmosphere destroys productivity - you find people hiding out in private areas all over the building - or simply not coming to the office.

Disheartening to walk customers through the building and see hundreds of empty work spaces people have just abandoned.

In spite of Strong Family Involvement, inconsistent and inexperienced Executive Team only provides lip service to Values. Great at articulating them, poor at using them in daily decision making and communications.

If you are good, prepare for a deluge of work. Success is rewarded with more work, while your slacker colleagues will wake up and go home at 4:00 (or simply "work from home" where they can do laundry, save on child care expenses, keep up their Linkedin and Facebook profiles, and keep the dog company).

Don't simply pay lip service to values - everyone can see when you simply go through the motions to "check the box" to say you have done something.

If "people are our greatest assets", make sure your actions reflect this. Annual appraisals, Talent Stream, Engagement surveys only work if you really believe in them. If they are just an afterthought to you - just stop them. Better stop an activity than simply go through the motions. Where do People rank on your daily priority list? Or do only "things" really matter?

You are way too isolated. An monthly round table session shouldn't be the only time you meet with a non-executive. Cloistered in-breeding doesn't help the Company - get out of your sacred spaces, open up your calendars and actually talk to real people. Be accessible and actually know the people you profess to lead (,maybe even know their names!).

Caring, people friendly company to work for on a daily basis.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holland, MI

I have been working at Haworth full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Treat their employees like adults. No micromanaging of my position. Family based, private corporation with worldwide reach.

Cons

No private office to work in which takes an adjustment.