Hawthorne Direct

Tim Hawthorne

Marketing

Former Employee - Marketing in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Hawthorne Direct full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easily approachable higher ups. A nice corporate culture with great values and creative and evolved people.. I would reccomend this as a stepping stone into the industry, there is no better place to learn the drtv industy

Cons

Salaries are a bit low and difficult to get competetive pay raises. Its easy to get type cast into a position and be asked to do a lot of work but its actually a comfortable and friendly place to work.

more profit sharing

Wonderful, fulfilling years working with people that care about their clients and doing great work.

Current Employee - Senior Executive in Fairfield, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Executive in Fairfield, IA

I have been working at Hawthorne Direct full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Smart people that care about the right things: service, savvy and accountable work, respecting each other. This is a work place where people really care about each other. It's a tough place to leave. But when some might leave, many seem to come back a year or two later.

Cons

Two main offices: LA and Iowa; sometimes cultural differences between the two offices can obstruct communication; but management seems to know this and works hard to bridge the differences.

Keep focused on the client and doing great work - which you're already doing!

Excellent company to work with, wonderful teamwork & knowledgeable professionals

Current Employee - Writer & Editor in Fairfield, IA
    Current Employee - Writer & Editor in Fairfield, IA

I have been working at Hawthorne Direct as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

This company is a class act. I've been working with them for over 10 years now as an independent contractor and every project is handled with care and expertise that you don't always find in today's business world. From the top down, every employee I've worked with really knows his or her stuff and is always willing to take the time to share knowledge, expertise, and insights. Tim Hawthorne is extremely well respected in the industry and is very approachable and easy to work with.

Cons

I just wish I lived in Iowa and had the opportunity to work on site with this talented team of professionals!

Keep up the excellent work and don't change a thing. Maintain and cherish the positive, family-like corporate culture that's been instilled in this company since inception.

A Fun, Professional Environment with Dedicated Employees That Are Always Willing to Help

Current Employee - Media/Marketing Intern in Fairfield, IA
    Current Employee - Media/Marketing Intern in Fairfield, IA

I have been working at Hawthorne Direct as an intern

Pros

To put it simply, Hawthorne Direct is an amazing company to work for. I interned there this summer and had a wonderful experience.

I worked mornings in the Media department and afternoons in Marketing. I was able to seamlessly transition between the departments without a problem. Everyone was so willing and able to help me whenever I needed it. They really made me feel like part of the team during my internship, and they always had something new and exciting for me to help with.

I was really impressed with how well they were able to collaborate, not only within the departments here, but between offices (they have workers in Iowa, Los Angeles, and Salt Lake City, among other places) as well. Their ability to work so well together, regardless of their location, makes them uniquely qualified to work with clients and manage accounts from all over the world.

Hawthorne Direct is a highly respected DRTV agency that creates quality work and employs passionate professionals. This was an exceptional place to have my first career-related internship; I've learned so much about the world of advertising.

Cons

I honestly couldn't tell you one bad thing about my experience at Hawthorne. If I really had to come up with something, it would be that it occasionally got a little too chilly in the office. That's truly the worst thing I experienced this summer.

Keep doing what you're doing! Continue listening to employee suggestions, giving feedback, and treating clients/employees with respect. Don't stop advancing or expanding, and you'll continue to move up!

Excellent work environment that is both challenging and rewarding

I have been working at Hawthorne Direct full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The employees at Hawthorne Direct genuinely appreciate everyone's hard work and willingness to pitch in. The company at large acknowledges this too and rewards employees for their personal and corporate success. Departments are very interactive giving employees the chance to work with a number of very intelligent and talented people. Accepting a job here after college, I am lucky to work for a flexible company and one that is growing and providing future career opportunities.

Cons

At times there are a few hoops to jump through to get some things done, could be more streamlined and the company is heading in that direction.

Senior Management here at Hawthorne is approachable, mentoring, forward thinking and accepting of new ideas. Keep up the good work!

Great experiences, great company

I have been working at Hawthorne Direct full-time

Pros

I have had a positive experience working at Hawthorne Direct. The company attracts great brand clients, and it is interesting to learn about all the new products and campaigns. There is good opportunity for growth and career advancement. It is fun working with the team members in multiple locations. Everyone wants to visit our LA office within LA Center Studios!

Cons

Keeping up with the fast pace and rapidly changing advertising business...

Keep listening to feedback from employees and clients!

Able to learn a different avenue of media buying with a great group of people.

I worked at Hawthorne Direct full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Allowed the flexibility to work from home. Great group of people.

Cons

Would always say they wanted feedback, but if they didn't like what you had to say, they pushed back and at times spoke in condescending manner in front of large groups. Media and accounting systems very archaic, despite them being "proprietary." Accounting still balanced by hand. Accounting department not willing to change with the times of the 21st century. Not enough holidays compared to larger companies.

Terrible, disorganized, uncreative, uninspiring and no team work!!

Current Employee - Producer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Producer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Hawthorne Direct as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Have been in business for many years.

Cons

The owner & management do not understand what it takes to run a business in Los Angeles. They do not have any interest in doing quality work. They are only concerned about the bottom line dollar amount. How much profit they can make.

Listen to your experts in each department, stop focusing on making money and start to think of the image of the company. Look beyond Iowa.

Excellent career start, but not a long-term growth career

I have been working at Hawthorne Direct

Pros

Hawthorne Direct conducts direct response advertising business fairly and ethically. For young college grads, it's and excellent place to start a career in advertising/marketing. It offers a fantastic intern rotation program between the media, marketing, and creative departments. It's location in a small Iowa town offers a great place to raise a family and get involved in the community. Employees are overall friendly and genuine.

Cons

There are limited career advancement opportunities, especially for college grads seeking to launch their career quickly. Job training is minimal and much is learned on your own or through trial and error. Some may not enjoy the location in a small Iowa town, with limited opportunities for entertainment. Pay is low due low cost-of-living in the area. Performance feedback is also minimal and often procrastinated.

Provide more performance feedback and seek ideas for long-term strategy planning.
    Consider further expansion in satellite offices
    Encourage an entrepreneurial culture and a support system for new ideas