Hayneedle

www.hayneedleinc.com

Hayneedle Reviews

Updated Jun 15, 2014

Jon Barker

Pros
  • There is a sense of respect for work/life balance throughout the ranks(in 6 reviews)

• I love the atmosphere in the work environment at Hayneedle(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay could be slightly better and no 401k match(in 6 reviews)

• No 401k match, and salaries are lower than average(in 4 reviews)

Smoke & Mirrors

Merchandising (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsThere are some really good people I work with. They are smart and hard working. Having a casual dress policy is nice.

ConsThe pay is not good considering the hours they want us to work. And we are now expected to do even more with the same salary. Everything is about the bottom line and so now they are changing our bonus structure. They do claim transparency but it's really just smoke and mirrors.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend a little bit of time delving into what your senior level management (some execs even) are up to. Lots of underhanded tactics. Morale was low around here before the lay-offs and now it's even worse.

ZERO job security

Manager (Former Employee) Omaha, NE

Prossome of the people are nice

Consthis company has changed names three times, twice while i was employed - and on both occassions they went through lay offs, of which I was impacted. there is a reason people at all levels are leaving this company, not only because there are better opportunities and companies out there, but there is zero job security. people in the highest of positions are unapproachable. human resources does not have your back. too many changes in leadership.

Advice to Senior Managementquit laying people off

Mixed bag, but a decent place to start out

Developer (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsFriendly work environment, cool co-workers, decent hierarchy organization

ConsInsurance was expensive, pay was lower than average for IT jobs in the area, and no 401K match

Advice to Senior Management401K match

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Be heard and make a difference

Prosthe company is still small enough that your contribution makes a difference and you can see the results.

Consthere's a lot of activity without always a measurement of results or ROI.

Advice to Senior Managementcontinue to invest in the future, but take the time needed to analyze the return on all that activity.

A call center, but not.

Senior Customer Service Advocate (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsIt is a call center, but one in which the employees are given tools to actually fix customer's problems. Instead of saying, "We don't do that." to hundreds of people a day, we are encouraged to think outside the box to help customers with problems. A laid-back work atmosphere and easily-available overtime is a nice bonus.

ConsIt is still a call center; there is not a mindlessly-easy employee interface, you actually need the training offered.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't make too many changes too fast; you have a good thing here and it would be sad to see the personal service buried under an avalanche of red tape and 'QA' demands.

Good company, terrible position

Senior Customer Service Advocate (Former Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsI liked working for Hayneedle as a company. They are very much "in the now" in terms of employee relations, training, and atmosphere. The call center environment is casual, and there are many different personality types employed by the company. Scheduling is moderately flexible - sometimes they will work with you and sometimes they cannot.

As a company, they are one of the better organizations I've worked for.

ConsThe job, on the other hand, is not one I would recommend to many people.

The customer service call-center job is not for the soft, as you spend your days listening to customer complaints and problems, and some of the customers are very abusive. You are encouraged to "think outside the box" to resolve these problems, but really there is very little "outside the box" that you can do - most of the time either the problem can be easily fixed or not at all, and a lot of it is outside of your hands as a care rep. You're either waiting on shipping or the supplier.

There was also a heavy focus on short call times. It's understandable that a call center wants to handle as many calls as they can, but the flip side is that I felt that service took a back seat. It was counted against me any time I had to spend extra time working with a customer on perhaps a complex or detailed problem, and there was very little time available for follow-up with a customer or supplier.

Lastly, it felt like any time a customer was not happy with the response they were given, generally regarding return window or refund availability, they would just ask to speak to a supervisor. It seems like the leads and supervisors would more often than not just give them what they wanted. I feel like if a lead is going to just do so, they should give more power to the service reps. Otherwise the service reps just look like the bad guys who don't want to provide good service, when they would be thrilled to make a customer happy.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet customer service reps focus on customer service over call time. Seasonal people especially come in with the desire to provide excellent customer service, but are then pushed into giving more cookie-cutter, quick responses in order to take tons of calls.

Easy going and fun

Intern (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsThis place is an easy company for which to work. They have no dress code and even the upper management is nice to the average employee. Since the company is growing there is a lot of room for advancement.

ConsBeing such and easy going place can be difficult for people the need direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing a great job of pushing toward growth. The only thing that Hayneedle doesn't have that would be great is a gym.

great culture

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

Proscasual atmosphere, healthy culture without a lot of politics, smart people

Consa 40 hour week makes you a slacker

Great tech department

ProsWonderful flexibility and innovative tech department. Summer Fridays are awesome.

ConsUp and down company performance

Best place to work in Omaha!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsHayneedle is an excellent company to work for as they provide growth opportunities for internal employees. I have seen many people receive well deserved promotions and the numbers have grown in the past couple of years. Hayneedle also has a very team-oriented and open environment. It is not uncommon to see people collaborating on ideas, challenging how things are being done to better processes and just having a good time while working. The company also has a lot of employee and family related events you can participate in during work hours and outside of work hours. The dress code is very casual and comfortable. You can wear flip flops, shorts and jeans. It is nice to see the upper management and executives do the same. I think our executives are very visible in the organization and open to ideas. They are very good at sharing information, listening to ideas and keeping employees up-to-date on company goals, revenue and future plans.

ConsThe pay is competitive but sometimes lower than other companies in Omaha.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work and direction of the company for future growth.

Worked for Hayneedle? Contribute to the Community!