Hayneedle

Updated November 13, 2014
Updated November 13, 2014
3.4

Jon Barker

Pros
  • There is a sense of respect for work/life balance throughout the ranks (in 8 reviews)

• I love the atmosphere in the work environment at Hayneedle (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay could be slightly better and no 401k match (in 6 reviews)

• No 401k match, and salaries are lower than average (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Entry Level Position

I have been working at Hayneedle full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very relaxed environment. Essentially no dress code. Fortunately compared to some other call centers you are not limited to a script that they want you to spew out to every customer. You are encouraged to be creative and transparent with each and every phone call. Coworkers are very friendly and are easy to get along with.

Cons

Pay is not very competitive compared to the other call centers in the area. There's a clear separation between the corporate office and the customer care center. Like someone else said, you are a bit of a second class citizen when the corporate big wigs come around.

Give your employees a reason to come to work. Build morale back up instead of slowly becoming more and more corporate. Bring that small business and community feel back to the foreground of the company. The employees are happiest when they feel like they are cared about.

Just ok

Former Employee - Buyer in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Buyer in Omaha, NE

I worked at Hayneedle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good culture, great people, good work/life balance

Cons

Lay offs, unclear direction, not keeping up with competition, low pay, expensive health insurance

Exciting growing company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Hayneedle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work-life balance. Excellent atmosphere. Awesome company values. Excellent supervisors and management. The discounts are great!

Cons

None that I can think of. It really is a great place.

Eh

Former Employee - Variety Specialist in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Variety Specialist in Omaha, NE

I worked at Hayneedle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fixed hours, a sitdown job. The Chalco Call Center is nicely decorated and clean.

Cons

Too much pressure. I saw too many people go out the door because they weren't able to make the quotas. Those that are good enough usually grow dissatisfied over the years. It's not an emotionally rewarding job. You can try moving into a lead, supervisor, tower, or corporate position, but the same story seems to hold: it either gets too tough and you get cut, or you manage to stay but grow frustrated and restless.

Job is ok, but training was rushed....

Current Employee - Senior Customer Advocate in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Advocate in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Hayneedle full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Your direct managers are personable and all around great and understanding people.

Cons

The challenges would be balancing the home and work. I work so late that i don't really get to see my kid. I miss him, but i have to work too.

Work-Life balance should be your priority. When we spend more time with you then our own family, that is when we get a little discouraged. Pick your employees up when they are down instead of scheduling more overtime.

Not what it used to be

I worked at Hayneedle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most people are great, casual dress code, employee discounts. There aren't many other pros anymore sadly. There used to be fun and excitement, now your lucky if you get to leave your desk for a bathroom break or water break without being harassed by management.

Cons

High turn over, inadequate staffing, fake management, no team building or focus on building a culture it's all about the numbers not so much the people.

Listen to your employees and rebuild your culture to what it used to be. You've lost a lot of valuable employees who made a difference.... The VP said, "everyone is replaceable" this should not be a way of thinking when you're trying to focus on reputation and brand.

Miserable

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Omaha, NE

I worked at Hayneedle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None. The cons completely outweigh the pros to the point that they don't exist.

Cons

By far the worst company I've ever worked for. Management is horrible, dishonest, rude, hurtful, and just plain immoral. Leaving that place was the best decision I've ever made. It was miserable walking into that place everyday. I could go into a million specifics, but I will just say move on and keep looking at other companies. Hayneedle is not worth your happiness and sanity.

There's no advice to give because management is just so horrible that no one cares to listen or make changes.

Great experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at Hayneedle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The culture is fantastic: hard-working colleagues, supportive managers and a "work hard/play hard" attitude. Casual dress, activities (although less lately) and monthly company meetings help foster the culture. Executive management tries to be as transparent as possible (company performance, strategic direction, etc). There are opportunities to expand beyond your role if you're willing to put in the work. Benefits are reasonably priced compared to companies of similar sizes. Flex-time and summer-hours (if applicable) are great. Employee discounts are great.

Cons

Certain positions are more visible than others, allowing individuals in those positions to move up quicker or receive more frequent recognition. As with most companies, working harder/smarter does not result in the recognition employees deserve, so there can be limited opportunities for advancement. This has caused numerous employees to seek out more advantageous positions elsewhere. No 401(k) match, no tuition reimbursement, limited (if any) training opportunities, and lower than average compensation (for similar positions at similar companies).

I realize during tough times, hard decisions must be made; however, employees are the most valuable asset. If you're not investing in them (training, competitive salary, recognition, etc), it will be harder to grow the business. It's more costly to lose employees than retain and invest in them. Please keep the employees in mind when you're developing Hayneedle's long-term strategies. I'm recommending the company to others because I believe the Hayneedle has the ability to be the BEST place to work in Omaha; however, I caution those looking at Hayneedle to make sure your career goals are realistic.

Call Center

Current Employee - Customer Care Associate in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Customer Care Associate in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Hayneedle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The employees here are wonderful people. They help you if you have a question and always greet you with a friendly "Hello!"

Cons

There is little opportunity to advance. If a position is open to employees as well as externally, the job will be given to the external employee. They are incapable of hiring the amount of people that they need to cover their busy seasons causing all other departments to assist with the phones. This causes the other work to fall behind which, in turn, causes more upset customers and an increase in call volume; perpetuating the circle. The management is focused on making the center appear as if it is running smoothly so that their numbers look good but they do not fix the ground floor problem in order to stop the cycle. They require the associate to follow up with the customer but they do not give adequate time to do so. If a team supervisor is changed, the new supervisor will often change how the team does their job even if the change does not improve the process but hinders it. As a phone rep, you are a middle man. The vendors that they use are not held to the highest of standards so you will often not receive the assistance for the customer that you need. The pay grade is below the average customer service level and you will reach your cap within 2 years. Hayneedle does not contribute to the 401K. The call center is considered to be second grade citizens and we do not get the same treatment as the corporate offices. Employee complaints are hidden from upper management in order to make the call center managers appear as if they are doing a stellar job when, in fact, they are only concerned with their bonus. There are no incentives for meeting or exceeding expectation. The recognition program is based on popularity with the management team who, ultimately, makes the final decision. Employees that exceed expectation are not recognized and often do not receive the gratitude that they deserve. Employee opinions are not taken under advisement. As an employee you are expected to keep your opinions to yourself.

Listen to your employees. If they are not happy, morale will go down and you will lose many quality people that have been loyal for years.

When you have your job fairs, be sure to send the word out and have them at the correct times. If a job fair is only held during standard business hours you will only get the people that are not employed. If you have the fairs at off times, people who have jobs might be interested in joining Hayneedle so the quality of your new employee will be better.

Good place to work

I have been working at Hayneedle full-time

Pros

Good work-life balance and promotes personal growth

Cons

Salaries and benefits leave little incentive to stay for a long period of time.