Hayneedle

Updated January 8, 2015
Updated January 8, 2015
3.3

Jon Barker

Pros
  • There is a sense of respect for work/life balance throughout the ranks (in 8 reviews)

• I love the atmosphere in the work environment at Hayneedle (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay could be slightly better and no 401k match (in 6 reviews)

• No 401k match, and salaries are lower than average (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

It's alright, nothing special

Former Employee - Product Manager in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at Hayneedle full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pretty fun atmosphere. Fairly intelligent employees as a whole (these people need to be leveraged more).

Cons

Worst time off policy I've ever heard of. You start with 2 weeks per year, that's it. No sick time, no "floating holidays", nothing else. So, you end up having a lot of sick people coming into the office because they don't want to burn vacation.

Pay is fairly low for the area.

Take risks. Now that their biggest competitor (Wayfair.com) has gone public and has an even bigger pile of cash, trying to go for projects that advance you 1-2% per year aren't going to cut it. You need to gamble a bit.

Great company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at Hayneedle full-time (more than a year)

Pros

In the corporate HQ, there is a large bunch of talented individuals. My supervisor treated me very well and I felt like I was fairly compensated.

Great flexibility and amazing work-life balance.

Cons

In times of lower than expected sales, the sour mood affects everyone. Raises are small and bonuses gone when the company doesn't meet specific targets. Budgets are cut as well, making it harder to progress.

Great flexibility, but light on PTO.

Continue creating a positive environment, learn how to enhance morale during downturns or increase sales.

Good Company to get your foot in the door

Current Employee - Buyer in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Buyer in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Hayneedle

Pros

Other Employees Relationships
    Flexibility
    Good to get your food in the door

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth
    Benefits leave a lot to be desired

Leadership although very transparent gives mixed messages

Worst place EVER to work!

Former Employee - Premier Product Sales in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Premier Product Sales in Omaha, NE

I worked at Hayneedle full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Dress code is very casual

Cons

Upper management & supervisors have never been on the phones a day while working for Hayneedle. They like to hire outside instead of promoting within. Both upper management & supervisors are liars. The company is not what it use to be 10 years ago.

Just ok

Former Employee - Buyer in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Buyer in Omaha, NE

I worked at Hayneedle full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good culture, great people, good work/life balance

Cons

Lay offs, unclear direction, not keeping up with competition, low pay, expensive health insurance

Great Entry Level Position

I have been working at Hayneedle full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very relaxed environment. Essentially no dress code. Fortunately compared to some other call centers you are not limited to a script that they want you to spew out to every customer. You are encouraged to be creative and transparent with each and every phone call. Coworkers are very friendly and are easy to get along with.

Cons

Pay is not very competitive compared to the other call centers in the area. There's a clear separation between the corporate office and the customer care center. Like someone else said, you are a bit of a second class citizen when the corporate big wigs come around.

Give your employees a reason to come to work. Build morale back up instead of slowly becoming more and more corporate. Bring that small business and community feel back to the foreground of the company. The employees are happiest when they feel like they are cared about.

Eh

Former Employee - Variety Specialist in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Variety Specialist in Omaha, NE

I worked at Hayneedle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fixed hours, a sitdown job. The Chalco Call Center is nicely decorated and clean.

Cons

Too much pressure. I saw too many people go out the door because they weren't able to make the quotas. Those that are good enough usually grow dissatisfied over the years. It's not an emotionally rewarding job. You can try moving into a lead, supervisor, tower, or corporate position, but the same story seems to hold: it either gets too tough and you get cut, or you manage to stay but grow frustrated and restless.

Job is ok, but training was rushed....

Current Employee - Senior Customer Advocate in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Advocate in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Hayneedle full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Your direct managers are personable and all around great and understanding people.

Cons

The challenges would be balancing the home and work. I work so late that i don't really get to see my kid. I miss him, but i have to work too.

Work-Life balance should be your priority. When we spend more time with you then our own family, that is when we get a little discouraged. Pick your employees up when they are down instead of scheduling more overtime.

Not what it used to be

I worked at Hayneedle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most people are great, casual dress code, employee discounts. There aren't many other pros anymore sadly. There used to be fun and excitement, now your lucky if you get to leave your desk for a bathroom break or water break without being harassed by management.

Cons

High turn over, inadequate staffing, fake management, no team building or focus on building a culture it's all about the numbers not so much the people.

Listen to your employees and rebuild your culture to what it used to be. You've lost a lot of valuable employees who made a difference.... The VP said, "everyone is replaceable" this should not be a way of thinking when you're trying to focus on reputation and brand.

Miserable

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Omaha, NE

I worked at Hayneedle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None. The cons completely outweigh the pros to the point that they don't exist.

Cons

By far the worst company I've ever worked for. Management is horrible, dishonest, rude, hurtful, and just plain immoral. Leaving that place was the best decision I've ever made. It was miserable walking into that place everyday. I could go into a million specifics, but I will just say move on and keep looking at other companies. Hayneedle is not worth your happiness and sanity.

There's no advice to give because management is just so horrible that no one cares to listen or make changes.