Hayneedle

www.hayneedleinc.com

Hayneedle Reviews

Updated Jun 15, 2014

Jon Barker

Pros
  • There is a sense of respect for work/life balance throughout the ranks(in 6 reviews)

• I love the atmosphere in the work environment at Hayneedle(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay could be slightly better and no 401k match(in 6 reviews)

• No 401k match, and salaries are lower than average(in 4 reviews)

Great experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsThe culture is fantastic: hard-working colleagues, supportive managers and a "work hard/play hard" attitude. Casual dress, activities (although less lately) and monthly company meetings help foster the culture. Executive management tries to be as transparent as possible (company performance, strategic direction, etc). There are opportunities to expand beyond your role if you're willing to put in the work. Benefits are reasonably priced compared to companies of similar sizes. Flex-time and summer-hours (if applicable) are great. Employee discounts are great.

ConsCertain positions are more visible than others, allowing individuals in those positions to move up quicker or receive more frequent recognition. As with most companies, working harder/smarter does not result in the recognition employees deserve, so there can be limited opportunities for advancement. This has caused numerous employees to seek out more advantageous positions elsewhere. No 401(k) match, no tuition reimbursement, limited (if any) training opportunities, and lower than average compensation (for similar positions at similar companies).

Advice to Senior ManagementI realize during tough times, hard decisions must be made; however, employees are the most valuable asset. If you're not investing in them (training, competitive salary, recognition, etc), it will be harder to grow the business. It's more costly to lose employees than retain and invest in them. Please keep the employees in mind when you're developing Hayneedle's long-term strategies. I'm recommending the company to others because I believe the Hayneedle has the ability to be the BEST place to work in Omaha; however, I caution those looking at Hayneedle to make sure your career goals are realistic.

Good place to work

ProsGood work-life balance and promotes personal growth

ConsSalaries and benefits leave little incentive to stay for a long period of time.

Great team, always striving to be better, accountability, casual dress, great culture, great CEO.

ProsI love working here. We work hard and play hard, great team chemistry. The introduction of Agile management style has improved the atmosphere as well. This benefits year we will have the option of going with an HSA, a welcome first, especially for our younger employees with no dependents.

ConsNo 401(k) match is a bummer.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease start working on the 401(k) match, even if it's small. Something is better than nothing.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Solid company heading in a positive direction

Facilities Specialist (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsA youthful, energetic team coupled with great balance of work and life creates an extremely comfortable, thriving environment. Hayneedle does a good job of celebrating many different holidays/events. Whether it is just firing up the BBQ for Hammock's Day, competing in the annual golf outing or having a friendly game of bean bag toss in the lot, it is all about creating a fun, positive workplace. Additionally, leadership does a good job of maintaining accountability for company initiatives but also great job recognizing and rewarding the team on our accomplishments.

ConsNo 401K matching, somewhat competitive insurance, somewhat competitive salaries.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to recognize the teams potential and provide recognition accordingly. Continue to let fresh, creative ideas provoke new ways to evolve the business.

great place to work.

Prosgood atmosphere & great managers.

ConsSO FAR NONE TO LIST.

good culture, no job security

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat company culture, friendly co-workers, excellent work-life balance

ConsRegular layoffs every few years, no 401k match, salaries are low when compared to similar jobs in the market.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your people to develop loyalty. Hayneedle has been turning into a revolving door company simply because other companies provide better packages.

Micro-management and nepotism

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe culture was laid-back and fun. Casual dress. Don't have to punch-in to a time-clock. Some of the people are really great.

ConsMicro-management is very high in some departments. Implemented a productivity tracking program when our department was already understaffed by 20%. Working from home is frowned upon. The "stars" of each department are the only ones given opportunities, even if they don't have the bandwidth. If you're not a supervisor's darling and don't dedicate your life to your work, you won't move up in this company. No 401k match, and salaries are lower than average. The bonuses are a joke. Definitely getting more corporate.

Advice to Senior ManagementDistribute projects and opportunities equally. Study more progressive work policies and keep an open-mind.

Really enjoy working at Hayneedle.

ProsHayneedle has a very laid-back atmosphere, casual dress, great people, dynamic environment (if you're on the right team), the past few years we've had summer hours where we can leave at noon on Fridays, and great work life balance.

ConsPay could be slightly better and no 401k match.

Cookiecutter McJob

Senior Customer Service Advocate (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsWhen I started with the company they had a desire to be different and serve the customers with exceptional customer service. Over time the emphasis has understandably changed to a sustainability model, but if the current restructuring is successful the two need not necessarily become mutually exclusive.

ConsNow they want to be no better than a big box retail store and management manages to their bonus structure rather than business needs. Management restructuring, recent demotions due to 'business needs,' and an increasingly hostile attitude towards the employees in the call center from the rank and file in the corporate office makes prospects for promotion look poor at best.

Advice to Senior ManagementActively review processes even after they are in place.

Good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsGreat atmosphere, flexibility, and people.

ConsNo 401K match, becoming more "corporate" than it used to be, lower than average salaries.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd 401K match

Worked for Hayneedle? Contribute to the Community!