Hayneedle Reviews

Updated September 21, 2014
Updated September 21, 2014
3.8

Jon Barker

Pros
  • There is a sense of respect for work/life balance throughout the ranks (in 6 reviews)

• I love the atmosphere in the work environment at Hayneedle (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay could be slightly better and no 401k match (in 6 reviews)

• No 401k match, and salaries are lower than average (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Job is ok, but training was rushed....

Current Employee - Senior Customer Advocate  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Advocate in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Hayneedle full-time for less than a year

Pros

Your direct managers are personable and all around great and understanding people.

Cons

The challenges would be balancing the home and work. I work so late that i don't really get to see my kid. I miss him, but i have to work too.

Work-Life balance should be your priority. When we spend more time with you then our own family, that is when we get a little discouraged. Pick your employees up when they are down instead of scheduling more overtime.

Not what it used to be

I worked at Hayneedle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most people are great, casual dress code, employee discounts. There aren't many other pros anymore sadly. There used to be fun and excitement, now your lucky if you get to leave your desk for a bathroom break or water break without being harassed by management.

Cons

High turn over, inadequate staffing, fake management, no team building or focus on building a culture it's all about the numbers not so much the people.

Listen to your employees and rebuild your culture to what it used to be. You've lost a lot of valuable employees who made a difference.... The VP said, "everyone is replaceable" this should not be a way of thinking when you're trying to focus on reputation and brand.

Call Center

Current Employee - Customer Care Associate  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Customer Care Associate in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Hayneedle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The employees here are wonderful people. They help you if you have a question and always greet you with a friendly "Hello!"

Cons

There is little opportunity to advance. If a position is open to employees as well as externally, the job will be given to the external employee. They are incapable of hiring the amount of people that they need to cover their busy seasons causing all other departments to assist with the phones. This causes the other work to fall behind which, in turn, causes more upset customers and an increase in call volume; perpetuating the circle. The management is focused on making the center appear as if it is running smoothly so that their numbers look good but they do not fix the ground floor problem in order to stop the cycle. They require the associate to follow up with the customer but they do not give adequate time to do so. If a team supervisor is changed, the new supervisor will often change how the team does their job even if the change does not improve the process but hinders it. As a phone rep, you are a middle man. The vendors that they use are not held to the highest of standards so you will often not receive the assistance for the customer that you need. The pay grade is below the average customer service level and you will reach your cap within 2 years. Hayneedle does not contribute to the 401K. The call center is considered to be second grade citizens and we do not get the same treatment as the corporate offices. Employee complaints are hidden from upper management in order to make the call center managers appear as if they are doing a stellar job when, in fact, they are only concerned with their bonus. There are no incentives for meeting or exceeding expectation. The recognition program is based on popularity with the management team who, ultimately, makes the final decision. Employees that exceed expectation are not recognized and often do not receive the gratitude that they deserve. Employee opinions are not taken under advisement. As an employee you are expected to keep your opinions to yourself.

Listen to your employees. If they are not happy, morale will go down and you will lose many quality people that have been loyal for years.

When you have your job fairs, be sure to send the word out and have them at the correct times. If a job fair is only held during standard business hours you will only get the people that are not employed. If you have the fairs at off times, people who have jobs might be interested in joining Hayneedle so the quality of your new employee will be better.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at Hayneedle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The culture is fantastic: hard-working colleagues, supportive managers and a "work hard/play hard" attitude. Casual dress, activities (although less lately) and monthly company meetings help foster the culture. Executive management tries to be as transparent as possible (company performance, strategic direction, etc). There are opportunities to expand beyond your role if you're willing to put in the work. Benefits are reasonably priced compared to companies of similar sizes. Flex-time and summer-hours (if applicable) are great. Employee discounts are great.

Cons

Certain positions are more visible than others, allowing individuals in those positions to move up quicker or receive more frequent recognition. As with most companies, working harder/smarter does not result in the recognition employees deserve, so there can be limited opportunities for advancement. This has caused numerous employees to seek out more advantageous positions elsewhere. No 401(k) match, no tuition reimbursement, limited (if any) training opportunities, and lower than average compensation (for similar positions at similar companies).

I realize during tough times, hard decisions must be made; however, employees are the most valuable asset. If you're not investing in them (training, competitive salary, recognition, etc), it will be harder to grow the business. It's more costly to lose employees than retain and invest in them. Please keep the employees in mind when you're developing Hayneedle's long-term strategies. I'm recommending the company to others because I believe the Hayneedle has the ability to be the BEST place to work in Omaha; however, I caution those looking at Hayneedle to make sure your career goals are realistic.

Good place to work

I have been working at Hayneedle full-time

Pros

Good work-life balance and promotes personal growth

Cons

Salaries and benefits leave little incentive to stay for a long period of time.

Great team, always striving to be better, accountability, casual dress, great culture, great CEO.

I have been working at Hayneedle full-time

Pros

I love working here. We work hard and play hard, great team chemistry. The introduction of Agile management style has improved the atmosphere as well. This benefits year we will have the option of going with an HSA, a welcome first, especially for our younger employees with no dependents.

Cons

No 401(k) match is a bummer.

Please start working on the 401(k) match, even if it's small. Something is better than nothing.

Solid company heading in a positive direction

Current Employee - Facilities Specialist  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Facilities Specialist in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Hayneedle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A youthful, energetic team coupled with great balance of work and life creates an extremely comfortable, thriving environment. Hayneedle does a good job of celebrating many different holidays/events. Whether it is just firing up the BBQ for Hammock's Day, competing in the annual golf outing or having a friendly game of bean bag toss in the lot, it is all about creating a fun, positive workplace. Additionally, leadership does a good job of maintaining accountability for company initiatives but also great job recognizing and rewarding the team on our accomplishments.

Cons

No 401K matching, somewhat competitive insurance, somewhat competitive salaries.

Continue to recognize the teams potential and provide recognition accordingly. Continue to let fresh, creative ideas provoke new ways to evolve the business.

great place to work.

I have been working at Hayneedle full-time for more than a year

Pros

good atmosphere & great managers.

Cons

SO FAR NONE TO LIST.

good culture, no job security

I worked at Hayneedle full-time

Pros

Great company culture, friendly co-workers, excellent work-life balance

Cons

Regular layoffs every few years, no 401k match, salaries are low when compared to similar jobs in the market.

Invest in your people to develop loyalty. Hayneedle has been turning into a revolving door company simply because other companies provide better packages.

Micro-management and nepotism

I worked at Hayneedle full-time

Pros

The culture was laid-back and fun. Casual dress. Don't have to punch-in to a time-clock. Some of the people are really great.

Cons

Micro-management is very high in some departments. Implemented a productivity tracking program when our department was already understaffed by 20%. Working from home is frowned upon. The "stars" of each department are the only ones given opportunities, even if they don't have the bandwidth. If you're not a supervisor's darling and don't dedicate your life to your work, you won't move up in this company. No 401k match, and salaries are lower than average. The bonuses are a joke. Definitely getting more corporate.

Distribute projects and opportunities equally. Study more progressive work policies and keep an open-mind.

Worked for Hayneedle? Contribute to the Community!