Hayneedle Reviews

Updated August 19, 2014
Updated August 19, 2014

3.8

Jon Barker

Pros
  • There is a sense of respect for work/life balance throughout the ranks (in 6 reviews)

• I love the atmosphere in the work environment at Hayneedle (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay could be slightly better and no 401k match (in 6 reviews)

• No 401k match, and salaries are lower than average (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Really enjoy working at Hayneedle.

I have been working at Hayneedle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hayneedle has a very laid-back atmosphere, casual dress, great people, dynamic environment (if you're on the right team), the past few years we've had summer hours where we can leave at noon on Fridays, and great work life balance.

Cons

Pay could be slightly better and no 401k match.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Hayneedle full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great atmosphere, flexibility, and people.

Cons

No 401K match, becoming more "corporate" than it used to be, lower than average salaries.

Add 401K match

Smoke & Mirrors

Current Employee - Merchandising  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Merchandising in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Hayneedle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are some really good people I work with. They are smart and hard working. Having a casual dress policy is nice.

Cons

The pay is not good considering the hours they want us to work. And we are now expected to do even more with the same salary. Everything is about the bottom line and so now they are changing our bonus structure. They do claim transparency but it's really just smoke and mirrors.

Spend a little bit of time delving into what your senior level management (some execs even) are up to. Lots of underhanded tactics. Morale was low around here before the lay-offs and now it's even worse.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ZERO job security

Former Employee - Manager  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at Hayneedle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

some of the people are nice

Cons

this company has changed names three times, twice while i was employed - and on both occassions they went through lay offs, of which I was impacted. there is a reason people at all levels are leaving this company, not only because there are better opportunities and companies out there, but there is zero job security. people in the highest of positions are unapproachable. human resources does not have your back. too many changes in leadership.

quit laying people off

Mixed bag, but a decent place to start out

Current Employee - Developer  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Developer in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Hayneedle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly work environment, cool co-workers, decent hierarchy organization

Cons

Insurance was expensive, pay was lower than average for IT jobs in the area, and no 401K match

401K match

Be heard and make a difference

I have been working at Hayneedle full-time

Pros

the company is still small enough that your contribution makes a difference and you can see the results.

Cons

there's a lot of activity without always a measurement of results or ROI.

continue to invest in the future, but take the time needed to analyze the return on all that activity.

A call center, but not.

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Advocate  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Advocate in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Hayneedle full-time for less than a year

Pros

It is a call center, but one in which the employees are given tools to actually fix customer's problems. Instead of saying, "We don't do that." to hundreds of people a day, we are encouraged to think outside the box to help customers with problems. A laid-back work atmosphere and easily-available overtime is a nice bonus.

Cons

It is still a call center; there is not a mindlessly-easy employee interface, you actually need the training offered.

Don't make too many changes too fast; you have a good thing here and it would be sad to see the personal service buried under an avalanche of red tape and 'QA' demands.

Good company, terrible position

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Advocate  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Advocate in Omaha, NE

I worked at Hayneedle full-time for less than a year

Pros

I liked working for Hayneedle as a company. They are very much "in the now" in terms of employee relations, training, and atmosphere. The call center environment is casual, and there are many different personality types employed by the company. Scheduling is moderately flexible - sometimes they will work with you and sometimes they cannot.

As a company, they are one of the better organizations I've worked for.

Cons

The job, on the other hand, is not one I would recommend to many people.

The customer service call-center job is not for the soft, as you spend your days listening to customer complaints and problems, and some of the customers are very abusive. You are encouraged to "think outside the box" to resolve these problems, but really there is very little "outside the box" that you can do - most of the time either the problem can be easily fixed or not at all, and a lot of it is outside of your hands as a care rep. You're either waiting on shipping or the supplier.

There was also a heavy focus on short call times. It's understandable that a call center wants to handle as many calls as they can, but the flip side is that I felt that service took a back seat. It was counted against me any time I had to spend extra time working with a customer on perhaps a complex or detailed problem, and there was very little time available for follow-up with a customer or supplier.

Lastly, it felt like any time a customer was not happy with the response they were given, generally regarding return window or refund availability, they would just ask to speak to a supervisor. It seems like the leads and supervisors would more often than not just give them what they wanted. I feel like if a lead is going to just do so, they should give more power to the service reps. Otherwise the service reps just look like the bad guys who don't want to provide good service, when they would be thrilled to make a customer happy.

Let customer service reps focus on customer service over call time. Seasonal people especially come in with the desire to provide excellent customer service, but are then pushed into giving more cookie-cutter, quick responses in order to take tons of calls.

Easy going and fun

Current Employee - Intern  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Intern in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Hayneedle full-time for less than a year

Pros

This place is an easy company for which to work. They have no dress code and even the upper management is nice to the average employee. Since the company is growing there is a lot of room for advancement.

Cons

Being such and easy going place can be difficult for people the need direction.

Doing a great job of pushing toward growth. The only thing that Hayneedle doesn't have that would be great is a gym.

great culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Hayneedle full-time

Pros

casual atmosphere, healthy culture without a lot of politics, smart people

Cons

a 40 hour week makes you a slacker

Worked for Hayneedle? Contribute to the Community!