Haynes and Boone

Haynes and Boone Managing Partner Terry W. Conner
Terry W. Conner

Awesome place to work!

I have been working at Haynes and Boone

Pros

Extremely friendly people and professional environment.

Cons

The office location could be better

Worst position ever!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Haynes and Boone full-time

Pros

Free coffee and sodas and sometimes monthly birthday celebrations

Cons

They don't encourage growth
    Communication skills on the part of attorneys are none - they expect you to read their minds
    They disrespect the staff and expect you to be happy since you have a job

A more positive work environment is needed. Appreciate the staff they are what run your firm and pay for parking! Help your people to be able to do good work by helping them to get to work. Or increase the salaries to account for parking.

Lots of Potential and Disappointment

I have been working at Haynes and Boone full-time for more than a year

Pros

Outstanding technical knowledge. Generally nice co-workers.

Cons

Poor treatment of support staff. Administration has absolutely no idea what the job functions are of the positions they supervise. Supervision is not accomplished in a positive manner, but rather through intimidation and reprimands in the presence of peers. Some offices have experienced a large turnover of personnel that include attorneys, technical and support staff. Overtime is discouraged, but the work is expected to be completed on time and up to standards.

Address the issues and the staff affecting poor morale. Supervisors need to be reviewed, retrained or removed.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Attorney

Former Employee - Attorney
    Former Employee - Attorney

I worked at Haynes and Boone full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Best part of the job was the attorneys I worked with. The ones that were my direct bosses were amazing. I got lots of opportunities from them to get first hand trial experience and get to know clients and the art of practicing law. Those bosses to this day - 14 years later have been some of the best in my career.

Cons

Cons are that the way it was has changed. A number of great partners have left and support staff does not feel appreciated (and it is obvious they are not appreciated - rarely got raises - always squeezed). The wrong people were left to lead large groups rather than choosing good managers to lead large groups. That led to a lot of dysfunction in the groups.

Pick good managers to lead - not partners who just don't have enough billable work so you fill their time with firm management activities to justify their salaries. Go back to more hands on training for attorneys and be willing to be flexible with rates for younger attorneys so they get good experiences. And don't hold it against associates when the billable work they do is not high dollar billable work. If the firm is going to judge this then don't agree to take low billable hour work in the first place. Associates cannot turn down work from a partner and rarely know what hourly agreement is with the client.

Lots of energy and positive people

I have been working at Haynes and Boone full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Career growth opportunity is there for those who work hard, work smart, work cooperatively and have a desire to produce an excellent result for the client.

Cons

Not everything nor every part of the organization is perfect, however management will listen to new ideas and make changes to improve.

Resist those who fear changes that will improve the Firm's competitive position.

One of the best BigLaw cultures around.

I have been working at Haynes and Boone full-time

Pros

Interesting work with highly-successful and collegial colleagues. Opportunity to work on a cross-section practice. Staying late is not the norm.

Cons

At the end of the day it's still BigLaw and with that comes typical BigLaw problems. As a newer firm, there's less institutional clients, so one must be entrepreneurial when working there both internally and externally.

Not The Best Leadership...... Well No Real Leadership

I have been working at Haynes and Boone

Pros

The majority of the staff, both lawyers and non-lawyers, are relatively easy to work with.

Cons

They do not recognize good staff. They tend to listen to and promote the less intelligent. This is especially in the accounting area. They recently got an excellent professional resource in accounting. This is new. She is the best I have seen since I have been here. Many others agree. The whole environment had a positive change. I hear she is leaving. This is not good.

They should listen. This firm has really gone down lately. This used to be what I would consider a great place to work. People, no matter who, were treated like people. It is sad to say but our "HUMAN" resources department really needs some training. The head of the department has no people skills. That is not good for HR. The managing partners have zero business sense as with most attorneys. And they do not listen. This is why you should have a finance team you respect enough to listen to them. At the same time you need a finance team who is confident enough in their talent to speak up and tell you when something does not make good sense. That is not the case. Very few of them could go somewhere else and be in a leadership role. The leadership likes "yes men."

The leadership should do a really good exit interview with employees leaving the firm. They should use the feedback to improve the firm.

No upward mobility or growth

I have been working at Haynes and Boone full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Decent benefits and okay pay. Nice area of town. They do offer skills training for free.

Cons

No opportunites to move up unless you're an attorney, and even some of them leave. Staff treated without respect.

First of all, notice that morale is not high and steady declining. You need to actually care about your employees.

Great experience - Summer Associate

Former Employee - Summer Associate  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Summer Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Haynes and Boone as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Transparent leadership, real work, plenty of fun.I thought the experience was very satisfying, they do a good job to keep SAs busy.

Cons

Hot. But aside from weather... some practice groups are a bit more advanced in age, so there wasn't always the personality mesh one would hope for.

Middle of the Road

Current Employee - Summer Associate  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Summer Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Haynes and Boone as an intern

Pros

They offer a good base salary for the cost of living in Dallas. They work-life balance is better than you would expect at most large law firms.

Cons

The Haynes & Boone name does not carry a lot of weight outside of Dallas or maybe Texas the way a Vinson & Elkins or a Baker Botts will.

Worked for Haynes and Boone? Contribute to the Community!