Hays Companies

Updated October 6, 2014
Updated October 6, 2014
3.2

Jim Hays

Great entreprenurial culture, true professionals

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Hays Companies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have been at Hays Companies for a little over 6 months, and have been so impressed with the company culture (women's committees, volunteer committees, run club, etc) and the professionalism and intelligence of my colleagues. The entreprenerurial structure allows everyone to be creative and think outside the box, which creates better results for our clients.

Cons

I would love the opportunity to bond even more with colleagues in other offices. We have so many neat, talented people and to get to know others more in the 35 offices would be great.

Appreciate managements efforts to create a great culture and love that the executives are highly visible and accessible.

rampant with nepotism and no path

I have been working at Hays Companies full-time

Pros

You can stay in your position forever if you would like and have no growth - if you don't have any aspirations and like to push papers this could be the place for you

Easy to get a job if you're related to someone already there

Interns - can surf the internet, take 2+ hour lunches and little supervision

Cons

Culture/Values - The place has no culture or values, the only goal is to sell. This a problem because no one cares about the teams serving the accounts, it takes time and effort to keep customers happy but there is absolutely no value placed on the people answer the phone calls, filling paperwork, and doing immediate follow up once an account is won.

Career Path - This places emphasizes "self starting" however the majority of individuals in leadership positions will not want to promote you even if you are doing well because that means it will take away from their book of business, they'll lose a good employee on their team, or they'll have to take the effort to replace you. The only way to get a promotion is if you are in the position to bring accounts to the company. There is no direction. They only do reviews once a year where no metrics are offered on how well or poorly you are doing, and they won't set goals so you can't achieve them to show you are capable of doing well. There is a constant reminder that you are easily replaceable. Tied to your career path is the fact that you're working directly with individuals that are related to leadership or their best friend's kid.

Compensation - if you're in a service position your raise is basically the rate of inflation. The company stresses how well it's doing and growth but you won't see anything unless you are in sales. It's sad to know that there are people that have been working there for a while and a person starting out of college at Target Corp probably makes more than them.

Take value in the individuals in your company beyond the sales people. Giving promotions shouldn't be an issue considering the growth of the company and not everyone working there is competing to have a book of business.

A lot of Positives and some Negatives

I have been working at Hays Companies full-time

Pros

Good compensation, great benefits...most people co-workers and management are nice and approachable.

Cons

Career growth depends more on who you know than what you do. A lot of employees are family members, and there is a lot of nepotism all over the firm. There is also little to no interest in providing growth opportunities.

Going through a transition

I worked at Hays Companies full-time

Pros

They have good health and dental benefits. Their 401K program is good. Depending on your manager, they are very flexible with time off/start times. They have people that have been in the insurance industry for many years and know the material.

Cons

The pay does not seem competitive. They are going through a restructuring/standardization transition and there seems to be no plan or course of action. If you are not perceived as "futhering the cause" you can be left out of the process and your input falls on deaf ears. No structured training.

Take the time to really listen to your employees. Make them feel like they have a voice in tthe company.

Fast paced, doesn't care about people; extremely dysfunctional.

I have been working at Hays Companies full-time

Pros

Good Pay and awesome location

Cons

They are very dysfunctional and have a weird corporate structure.

True professionals

I have been working at Hays Companies

Pros

Great resources
    Grow organically - not by acquisition
    Professional people
    Locations all over the country
    Decent benefits packages
    Lots of opportunity to learn and advance

Cons

There really aren't any downsides. The name isn't quite as well known as other large brokers but that is easily overcome if we have a chance to meet with the clients.

Management does a great job of letting everyone know about their performance and where we stand, and we all have the same goal which is to be successful.

Growing employer- lots of opportunity for self starter

Former Employee - Account Management
    Former Employee - Account Management

I worked at Hays Companies

Pros

Expected to work at high level independently and to seek assistance where needed. Encouraged and rewarded for stretching beyond specific job title and to develop new client relationships and round out existing client relationships though it was not primary job function.

Cons

Turnover was significant over the years I was there.

Should have an internal audit system to watch the financial side independent of the location (driven by headquarters) This may be in place now I have been gone awhile.

Hays Companies Photos