Hays plc Reviews in London, England

Updated September 26, 2014
3.8

Hays plc CEO Alistair R. Cox
Alistair R. Cox

Pros
  • The weeks are long as we work 8:30-6, however the recruitment industry has the reputation work hard play hard so the work life balance is good (in 7 reviews)

• Reasonable salary & good work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and the expectation that you won't take a lunch break making the day even longer (in 21 reviews)

• The commission structure is awful and so is the work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

37 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Offer lots of opportunities to pro-active employees

Current Employee - Account Resourcer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Resourcer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The variety of roles are fantastic. Always opportunities for internal moves.

Cons

Old processes, and senior people who fight change

Listen to mid-level people who do the job daily

Sub-par

Current Employee - Administrator in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Administrator in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Had plenty of interviews, got a few assignments.

Cons

They are not very good at a few things. First, I submitted vetting documents and was placed in Government, then sometime later (after about 7months, found I had no clearance.

I felt I was just there to help score a bonus for consultants. No real personality or support (briefing of assignments) before placement. Unfortunate, as I had high hopes.

Get to know your candidates goals.

A successful organisation with great values

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Clear, realistic promotional opportunities are outlined from day one. Success is rewarded and widely recognised and the company values can be evidenced internally as well as externally.

Team working is encouraged just as much as the development of independent expertise. The prescence of the organisation in the market across so many different specialisms, combined with excellent training and the fact that Hays is Passionate about People (clients, candidates and consultants alike) make it possible for people to succeed not only financially, but also in terms of job satisfaction.

In a nutshell, a great place to work.

Cons

The role of recruitment consultant is a challenging one. This isn't really a con, just the nature of the beast. There are many ups and downs. However, Hays offers plenty of training and support, ensuring more ups and less downs the more your expertise develops.

Great place to work with a really good company culture, in an environment where people want to succeed.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Your hard work is recognised and you are praised for when the results come in. There is excellent career progression with a structure that enables you to work your way up through the ranks. Always support around you for when you need it and lots of experience colleagues for you to get advice from. The social aspect is great and incentives really motivate you to smash your targets.

Cons

As it is a young, sociable work force, pub culture can sometimes cross over into the office making it unprofessional at times and a little bit uni like. Also the unflexibility with the working hours is very frustrating. I understand why they are so strict and rigid but for Consultants who work over and above their expected hours anyway, to come in a little later or leave a little earlier to make up for it would make a great deal of difference.

Lose the micro-management in regards to possibles and interviews. You set yourself up for the day but you end up repeating yourself dozens of times to several different managers and directors across the floor. The amount of repeatition is counter productive and not a good use of your time.

Challenging and rewarding

Current Employee - /Associate Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - /Associate Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Hays put a lot of focus into their training. I feel like a lot of time and effort is being invested in me and my future to help me in my job here at Hays as well as my future career. The company values and rewards hard work which shows in the work hard, play hard culture at Hays.

Cons

The nature of the job means that you have to be very resilient. Working with people results in unexpected events occurring which can make you feel like you have wasted a lot of your time on a specific candidate or client and nothing comes of it.

Management could help with further integration i.e. within specialisms, working closer with colleagues to understand their work, this could be achieved though brief weekly meetings. Prizes for hitting KPIs will increase work and ensure One Touch is kept updated.

Great opportunities for entrepreneurial minded people who are comfortable in a people driven environment.

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The progression opportunities are amazing and you have a good chance to make a name for yourself.

Cons

I don't have any as of yet.

NA

Work Hard - Big Rewards

Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The best reason to work for Hays is the people you work with and the truly world class training and personal development available. The high performing culture suits anyone who is ambitious, task and people orientated and willing to learn and get stuck in. The is a very fast pace and the expectation is you work hard to gain all the monetary and reward benefits.

Cons

There are long hours and you have to be committed to work longer than your contract, there is no immediate financial reward in recruitment as success is made form long term relationships and repeat business which takes time to build. It can also be very stressful, the demands come from everyone you interact with, our customers, your colleagues, your management but most importantly yourself, you have to be prepared to be resilient.

Over the years the management interaction with all level of employees has improved dramatically and you can see the values and culture throughout the whole organisation, keep it up and keep listening.

I have been working at Hays for over a year and have had an amazing time, brilliant culture with great career prospects

Current Employee - National Internal Recruitment Coordinator in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture within Hays with an evident work hard play hard culture.
    There is a clear career progression structure and Hays is a very meritocratic company that awards based on performance

Cons

The challenges at Hays are that the KPI's and targets set can be quite demanding however they are there to push you and ultimately help you succeed.

Satisfied

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good work ethic
    Good experience

Cons

stressful
    working late
    competitive atmosphere that can be hard to deal with on occassions

Staying calm
    work-life balance to be taken into account more
    promotion

In a "Hays" of confusion

Former Employee - Resourcing Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Resourcing Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hays plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The hours are good, the people are friendly most of the time, there are offices in many locations. The Hays brand is very strong and instantly recognisable

Cons

No one knows what they are doing. There is a fog of confusion in the business. Senior management needs to be more decisive and provide a clear direction. The lack of the latter is hampering the business. There is a lot of exposure to the economic climate more so than other businesses so that when things are bad, there are hugh redundancies and when things are good, the business goes on a hiring spree.

Draft and follow a clear business strategy - the business needs direction badly