Hays plc

Be The First To
Add Photos

Hays plc CEO Alistair R. Cox

Alistair R. Cox

Pros
  • Flexible approach to work life balance(in 5 reviews)

• They had great training which set me up for life(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Have to work really long hours, and leaving at 5 is almost unacceptable(in 8 reviews)

• When I left the senior management were not of this ilke and valued stats above all else(in 6 reviews)

22 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Head office roles at Hays

Lawyer (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsIt is a small head office with a relatively good atmosphere and can do mentality. It is not an hours for the sake of hours mentality.

ConsIt is an unforgiving company and there is a high attrition rate in the first year for al lfunctions. Most of the head office functions are relatively small so opportunities outside of finance can be limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. Everyone knows the score. Its a typical sales company.

Great training and experience, poor salary

Recruitment Consultant (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsSome excellent people to work with, and they provide great training. The role itself gives you a lot of responsibility from the start.

ConsThe hours are long and management just geared towards mindlessly achieving KPIs. Staff can often be very greedy with a competitive, dog-eat-dog attitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company needs to take better care of its employees by making them feel valued. Being made to feel expendable by the business does not encourage loyalty and has made a number of talented people leave the business.

recruitment consultant

Recruitment Consultant (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosgreat perks an people fun fast paced environment

Consalot of pressure to hit targets

Advice to Senior Managementbe open to everyones individual strengths and set realistic targets to make work not stressful

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Recruitment Consultant

Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat team of work colleagues and supportive to the nth degree , good brand name

ConsSenior Management are appalling I have never seen such a turnover of staff as I did at Hays, the leadership skills in my office were not existent and the director and senior manager were in constant "meetings" for no reason,. No real work done by these two. Attrition rate so high and no one at the top bothered at the way people were treated albeit people complained, if Hays really is Passionate about People they should start with their staff or loose the logo. I saw practices taking place which were abhorrent to me and quite frankly very dubious and totally against company policy. No one did a thing it was aloud to continue outrageous

Advice to Senior ManagementNigel Heap you need to sort this out as you have a lot of unhappy people who have left been pushed out due to nothing being done. The talent that has left is overwhelming and they are all at competitors. I did not want to leave but was left no choice with the behavior of my director

too much work for not enough pay

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosgood company values, strong company as a whole, promotion structure in place, good incentives such as nights out, Christmas events etc.

Consexpect a lot out of everyone working there in terms of what your pay grade is but you still have so much responsibility, doesn't really add up feels like slave labour sometimes. Very much different rules for different people, can get really lucky with promotions if your related to directors, others struggle.

Advice to Senior Managementexpect less or pay more, its quite simple that everything should just be fair. Don't change goal posts, and don't make one rule for one and exceptions for others.

Enjoyable, fantastic training and development!

Associate Consultant (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsExceeded my expectations working at Hays, the support you receive from management and colleagues is overwhelming and really makes you motivated to achieve more. The work environment is fun and young, and there are loads of social activities. As long as you work hard and achieve your results, there are clear steps to achieving career progression. I have learnt a great deal about myself, recruitment, and the market I am recruiting for and look forward to the future!

ConsHours are rather long but the demand of the business does require such input from the employee. The rewards make up for it.

Good training VERY boiler room

Junior Consultant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThe training at Hays is unrivalled and the doors it opens for your next role is great too.

ConsVery boiler room and kpi driven. Not a great commission structure and you are lost amongst loads of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff and show some compassion. When you invest so much money in each recruit it seems pointless not to help them grow. There is no sympathy for potential without results. If you are the best you are well looked after but having ok figures makes you invisible. I am billing more than some of the top billers when I was there. This is mainly down to the support I was shown.

Great place to start your sales career

Business Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat training, International opportunities, good commission scheme

ConsAverage benefits, transactional culture at times

A company with no Ethics

IT Manager (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsSome very good people work at Hays and are very sociable. The management have no interest in maintaining a team and are more geared towards a factory model to make money. Would suit any managers working in this sort of an environment.

ConsNo direction from management. Self preservation attitude everywhere you turn. Mostly firefighting throughout rather than analyzing the actual problem.No company ethics towards employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to treat you employees better. You fired some of your most loyal and long serving employees which is disgraceful.

Corporate machine with terrible retention and lack of discipline.

Associate Consultant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat training, good social life. Never a boring moment.

ConsExperienced sexism and racism, issues raised were not dealt with effectively by senior management. Persistent micro-managing and being threatened with my job until I eventually quit. Commission structure is also terrible in comparison to other recruitment companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is truly worrying how many managers who are not good managers seem to be protected for some reason. This company has a terrible reputation amongst every other recruitment agency I've spoken with and all for the same reasons I have listed above - too much micro-managing.

Worked for Hays plc? Contribute to the Community!