Hays plc

Be The First To
Add Photos

Hays plc CEO Alistair R. Cox

Alistair R. Cox

Pros
  • Flexible approach to work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Great training, International opportunities, good commission scheme (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Have to work really long hours, and leaving at 5 is almost unacceptable (in 8 reviews)

• When I left the senior management were not of this ilke and valued stats above all else (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Fullfilling Experience

Recruitment Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsGreat experience to learn how to deal with pressure, in a very good working atmosphere.

ConsAs an intern, you don't get paid that well...

It is a good place to get recruiting experience but it is best to leave once you get to Senior Consultant level.

Business Manager (Former Employee) Canada, KY

ProsGood training. Good commission plan. A lot of nice employees in Canada.

ConsIn North America, managers have zero decision making power. The President's yearly messages contradict each other and he has no loyalty to his staff. Turnover is high because of this. Back office rule with an Iron fist and actually hamper sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward people who have performed well for you for several years rather than discarding them to focus on new starters. Live up to what you have promised your staff. Don't lie to people. Treat people with respect. I'm at a recruiting agency now that does this, and it's awesome!

Hays is a great organisation with fantastic career progression

Senior Business Manager (Current Employee) Brighton, England (UK)

ProsThe training you recieve is excellent and the company truly values itself on people. There is a real High performace culture within each team and reward is high for hard work and dedication

ConsAt times there can be a few to many channel leads meaning the reporting of figures can get repetitive.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Meritocracy with exceptional training and clear progression paths

Recruitment Consultant (Current Employee) Chelmsford, England (UK)

ProsThe offices are always busy with a positive vibe. You will never find a Hays conultant sitting on their laurels. There is always a job to be done. It can be stressful/hectic environment, playing middle man to an ever more varied and demanding client/candidate base, but the upbeat and healthy competitive nature within the offices help get you through. Management has seen changes for the better, with far more "nurturing" and guidence given to new consultants. Training is exceptional and always receives great feedback.

ConsThe job is all encompassing so it is hard to strike a good work/life balance if you are a parent or work part time. This isn't a negative on the company but down to the constrictures of the job which is based on your focus and efforts to acheive commission so quite frequently it might mean working "out of hours"

Great career progression and fantastic training and support

Director (Current Employee) Reading, England (UK)

ProsClear career progression and targets, working for the No1 recruitment co in the UK with a global reach. Fantastic training, we are supported at every level, right from entry level through to Senior Management

ConsNo so much cons, but you do have to be up for a challenge and be prepared to work hard and stay motivated, you are expected to progress and deliver and grow with the company

Advice to Senior ManagementJust to make sure we keep the standards and expectations high across the business and dont lose the core DNA that has made us so successful

Supportive and rewarding career at Hays

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Brighton, England (UK)

ProsFirstly the training at Hays is top notch; it gives you the best start at a job which can be very demanding. As a sales business there are high expectations for target hitting and they motivate you to successfully reach those expectations. They reward success and the commission structures are set to motivate you to want to do more!
    There is a real community feel within your team, office and even regionally or nationally, which is even more apparent when everyone meets for events and parties, of which there are quite a few!
    One of the things I love about the structure of Hays is that the job is so specialised, you really become an expert in your area, your clients and candidates get to know you and you become an ambassador for them, that’s a really special relationship to have with both clients and candidates.

ConsIts recruitment, there are always going to be ups and downs! When it’s great.. Oh, it’s great. When it’s bad, it can be a little soul destroying. Being so target driven does stress even the calmest of people out, but this suits me, I'm better working under pressure! The hours are long, so it can feel like you are married to your job, but when you place that candidate or win that client, it’s worth it.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes the need for KPI's to be scrutinised all the time can be a bit stressful, on the odd week you might not have the time to be able to hit them and it can be hard to feel like you have done a good job if you are always being told you need to log everything!

New to recruitment, glad I'm with Hays

Recruitment Consultant (Current Employee) Chelmsford, England (UK)

ProsI've never worked in recruitment before so to have such an in depth training program and constant contact with a manager is a plus. Also being rewarded on success which brings out my competitive natue, which is then reflected in my progress and recognised by the whole office.

ConsSometimes things are not explained clearly enough or you will be told conflicting things by different people within the company. At the end of the day you have to go with whoevers opinion you think is best and be able to explain why.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe clearer with expectations and consequences. Explain benefits better, rather than a hazy picture that we then realise we can't reach.

Great career opportunities

Internal Recruitment (Current Employee) Bristol, England (UK)

ProsThe people, the investment in your career by the business, management and training team and the rewards for your hard work such as uncapped commission, incentives, benefits package

ConsIt is very hard work, lots of challenges around the role of recruitment, but if you have a strong work ethic and are determined that actually makes it even more satisfying when you have successes

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing, the investment in time and training you make in your teams and the people you are bringing in is great

Fantastic place to work - suits progressive and career driven people

ProsBest training in the business, complete career path which is well structured and defined to encourage you to strive to the best of your ability. Strong team environment with the ability to run your own business within the remits of a large corporate that supports you. Strong supportive teams that take pride in training new starters and seeing them succeed.

ConsHigh expecatations from the start - tough interview process but this is to ensure that people that that get through have the drive and ambition to succeed.

Excellent place to work

Internal Recruitment (Current Employee) Chelmsford, England (UK)

ProsExcellent career opportunities with great benefits if you are like me and love to go on holiday I have been able to buy a extra 5 days. No only is the the job rewarding Hays also have great incentives I have been to Malta and Lisbon all paid for via Hays. Hays is a very sociable place to work with great management support.

ConsChallenges understanding your market but with the support from the region you soon become an expert, Hays offer the best training.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead from the front

Worked for Hays plc? Contribute to the Community!