Hays plc Reviews

Reset
4.2
Hays plc CEO Alistair R. Cox
Alistair R. Cox

Pros
  • Reasonable salary & good work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• good training for new consultants, fast paced (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • It is a hard role with very long hours (in 26 reviews)

• The job is all encompassing so it is hard to strike a good work/life balance if you are a parent or work part time (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Market-leading global recruitment firm with endless career options

Current Employee - Director in Preston, North West England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Director in Preston, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Hays is a market-leading global recruitment firm that allows scope for superb career development with choices of places to work all over the world. As a global corporate the company leads from the front in terms of innovation in marketing, technology and state of the art recruitment techniques and yet the stand out for me is that the DNA of the company and it's people is that despite the scale, it is still highly entrepreneurial and a meritocracy; in short a company where if you do well, you can take charge of carving out your career choices.

Cons

In almost 20 years of working for Hays, there are not many things I can think of to post as cons. My choice has been to stay with the market-leader and I genuinely believe I work for the best - or I would not be here.

Advice to Management

Continue to make it a great place to work, keeping up to date with the next generation of would-be recruitment consultants and investing in keeping our technology and customer service ahead of the competition!

Hays plc Response

Jul 13, 2015 – Head of Internal Recruitment

Thank you for your review on Hays UK&I. It's great to hear that after 20 years in the business you're still enjoying it. All the best for the next 20 years!

2. Going places

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Ambitious company with strong market offering and demonstrable global growth in past 5 years. Great people to work with.

Cons

Internal communication can be an issue. Some inconsistencies in working environment and reward globally.

Advice to Management

Improved communication would make a massive difference to our global connectivity and increase our ability to adequately service our global clients.

Office mgr

I worked at Hays plc

Pros

great place to work, excellent supervisor

Cons

demanding, work life balance is not great

It is a good place to get recruiting experience but it is best to leave once you get to Senior Consultant level.

Former Employee - Business Manager in Canada, KY
    Former Employee - Business Manager in Canada, KY

I worked at Hays plc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good training. Good commission plan. A lot of nice employees in Canada.

Cons

In North America, managers have zero decision making power. The President's yearly messages contradict each other and he has no loyalty to his staff. Turnover is high because of this. Back office rule with an Iron fist and actually hamper sales.

Advice to Management

Reward people who have performed well for you for several years rather than discarding them to focus on new starters. Live up to what you have promised your staff. Don't lie to people. Treat people with respect. I'm at a recruiting agency now that does this, and it's awesome!

Recruitment Consultant

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Wakefield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Wakefield, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You are rewarded for your hard work. Even in a Global company where there is thousands of employees, you never feel like just a number. This is through incentives, commission, promotions etc. Hays are good at encouraging their employees and I've never worked for a company you truly are recognised for working hard and being passionate about your job.

Cons

Finishing at 6pm can be difficult as due to my commute I am out of the house 12 hours a day 5 days a week. But I understand that this has to be the case due to getting hold of candidates after office hours - the extra hour benefits my desk and my billing but does have a slight effect on work/home life balance

7. Business Manager

Current Employee - Business Manager in Southend-on-Sea, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Manager in Southend-on-Sea, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I joined Hays after working for a competitor for many years, I wouldn't look back now. All my managers and senior management team are inspirational, the network of consultants and tools we have around us makes no other agency comparable. The career structure is very structure and everyone in the business has clear goals. I cannot recommend working for Hays highly enough.

Cons

It can be over whelming at times, and you can get lost with all the different incentives however surely this can be a good thing? I haven't really come across many cons so far! Lets hope it stays this way.

Advice to Management

I would recommend more management incentives which include social events. I would also recommend a quarterly consistency bonus.

8. A good place for a Graduate

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hays plc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Take a chance on graduates. Excellent training structure. Well organised company. Good incentives to perform. Clear progression outlined.

Cons

High staff turnover. Micro management. 'Just a number' feeling. Long hours mistaken for good work.

9. I believe I'm working for the best

Current Employee - Business Director in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Director in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time

Pros

The blend of consultant expertise and an innovative approach to technology puts Hays in the very best position to be the number 1 at what we do. The management structure in place offers good support and the investment in the training of new associate recruits has really started to future proof the success for the years to come.

Cons

I am struggling with negatives - despite being a large company, the regional structure means that the support network is strong while being able to access centrally managed; marketing, digital solutions, PR, HR and other mechanisms to support the business.

Advice to Management

Keep listening and communicating at all levels

10. Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Sheffield, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic career progression opportunities, incentives and training provided.

Cons

Flexitime working would really increase happiness of staff with respect to work-life balance.

11. Great start in recruitment

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hays plc

Pros

If you decide recruitment is the career for you, then Hays is a good place to start. The training is great and there are always social events to get involved with. You should not expect to earn as much money here as you would in other recruitment firms, but use it for what it is: Get your training here and make some connections, then move to a boutique firm and get a hefty package or move abroad with the firm.

Cons

Won't challenge you mentally, but will certainly test your stress management. Incredibly KPI-driven and a big hire and fire culture - but that's what you should expect from working for a large recruitment firm.

Advice to Management

In order to retain key talent, consider challenging them beyond KPIs.

RSS Feed </> Embed