Hays plc

Updated December 9, 2014
3.7

Hays plc CEO Alistair R. Cox
Alistair R. Cox

Pros
  • The weeks are long as we work 8:30-6, however the recruitment industry has the reputation work hard play hard so the work life balance is good (in 7 reviews)

• Reasonable salary & good work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and the expectation that you won't take a lunch break making the day even longer (in 26 reviews)

• Work-life balance balance can be difficult to adjust to if your not used to office life (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Fullfilling Experience

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I have been working at Hays plc as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great experience to learn how to deal with pressure, in a very good working atmosphere.

Cons

As an intern, you don't get paid that well...

Office mgr

I worked at Hays plc

Pros

great place to work, excellent supervisor

Cons

demanding, work life balance is not great

It is a good place to get recruiting experience but it is best to leave once you get to Senior Consultant level.

Former Employee - Business Manager in Canada, KY
    Former Employee - Business Manager in Canada, KY

I worked at Hays plc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good training. Good commission plan. A lot of nice employees in Canada.

Cons

In North America, managers have zero decision making power. The President's yearly messages contradict each other and he has no loyalty to his staff. Turnover is high because of this. Back office rule with an Iron fist and actually hamper sales.

Reward people who have performed well for you for several years rather than discarding them to focus on new starters. Live up to what you have promised your staff. Don't lie to people. Treat people with respect. I'm at a recruiting agency now that does this, and it's awesome!

Good people poor management

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hays train their staff well and for a young recruiter starting out in their career are certainly a good option. The company's size and reach ensures that they always have business on the go and that business development, while important, is not as pressing as with smaller companies.

Cons

The company, despite efforts, is still primarily a volume recruiter, focusing on lower end business. They do well in the bottom reaches of the market, competing with the likes of Michael Page and Robert Walters. Like those companies however they find it very hard to break into the more senior, and lucrative, parts of the market. This is reflected in the staff and there are very few Hays recruiters who really understand their business and can offer anything to a client except for CVs.

The company has very high overheads, with a large support and administration staff and, as a result, both base salaries and commissions are very low. To ensure that costs are met the company is very KPI driven and does not encourage personal flair or creativity.

Excellent company with endless opportunities!

Current Employee - Intern in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Intern in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I have had the opportunity to gain alot of exposure to various facets of the business. Managment and my team are extremley supportive and involve me in various projects. Fantastic culture promoting best practice.

Cons

Is a demanding and challenging job which requires long hours at times, however the rewards that follow and knowledge gained makes it worth it.

Recruitment Consultant at Hays

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Hays plc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent training, decent pay. Fantastic social culture!! I had lots of good times at Hays...Used inter-brand to globally re-brand which really freshened up their employer brand and corporate image.

Cons

Can micro-manage and take a one size fits all approach to business development/ KPI's. Long working hours and never managed to offer work-life balance like some other recruitment firms.

Tailor business development and KPI's specific to divisions. Working smarter is often more effective than working harder.

Review

I worked at Hays plc

Pros

Good career progression if you know the right people.

Cons

Long hours, not very good work life balance.

Work life balance

Great training, terrible rewards

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company provides great training and there is a chance to progress quickly and be rewarded for your performance.

Cons

The culture of the company is very dog-eat-dog, and the pay is below industry standards, alongside very long working hours. A lot of your success is dependent on the desk you are put on, other than your own personal talent.

Reward employees more! Don't hire good consultants to management positions. A good recruiter does not make a good manager.

Great learning place for worse

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Eindhoven (Netherlands)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Eindhoven (Netherlands)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Fast dynamic environment.
    -inspiring colleague's.
    -the bonus can be very rewarding when times are good.
    -teamspirit among consultants and crc's

Cons

-little management capabilities at business unit manager level.
    -Due to the poor management there is a lot of turnover, in the Netherlands a lot of employees resigned recently. To give you an estimation of their capabilities. They are working for companies like Ernst and Young, Nike, Philips, Daf and Capgemini at the moment
    -As a CRC it is hard to make steps forward. Employees are still at the same paygrade after 3 years for instance.

I honoustly have the idea that the upper management has no idea what business managers are doing at Hays. I always thought leading by example was a great way to guide your employees, my manager is not capable of that.

I am aware that a lot of your working experience is depending on your direct manager. The manager at my unit is not an example of how it should be done. A new face could change this shipwreck to a yacht.

Good Training, Poor Management

Former Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant in Southampton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant in Southampton, England (UK)

I worked at Hays plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The training structure is amazing and supportive. The training staff are really engaging and the stay in London is all covered by the company. Commission is good ONCE you have billed the minimum amount required to qualify.....which was £5k per month when I was there

Cons

Management. All about being on the phone making sales. Not enough emphasis on relationship building. No incentive to pass leads between teams to build stronger business with organisations.
    Hours were far too long and inflexible

Reduce hours required. Allow for more flexible working. Encourage teams to work together more to build a better long term strategy.