Hays plc

Updated January 27, 2015
3.7

Hays plc CEO Alistair R. Cox
Alistair R. Cox

Pros
  • The weeks are long as we work 8:30-6, however the recruitment industry has the reputation work hard play hard so the work life balance is good (in 7 reviews)

• Reasonable salary & good work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and the expectation that you won't take a lunch break making the day even longer (in 26 reviews)

• Work-life balance balance can be difficult to adjust to if your not used to office life (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Fullfilling Experience

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I have been working at Hays plc as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great experience to learn how to deal with pressure, in a very good working atmosphere.

Cons

As an intern, you don't get paid that well...

Office mgr

I worked at Hays plc

Pros

great place to work, excellent supervisor

Cons

demanding, work life balance is not great

It is a good place to get recruiting experience but it is best to leave once you get to Senior Consultant level.

Former Employee - Business Manager in Canada, KY
    Former Employee - Business Manager in Canada, KY

I worked at Hays plc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good training. Good commission plan. A lot of nice employees in Canada.

Cons

In North America, managers have zero decision making power. The President's yearly messages contradict each other and he has no loyalty to his staff. Turnover is high because of this. Back office rule with an Iron fist and actually hamper sales.

Reward people who have performed well for you for several years rather than discarding them to focus on new starters. Live up to what you have promised your staff. Don't lie to people. Treat people with respect. I'm at a recruiting agency now that does this, and it's awesome!

Nice opportunity, but high pressure

Former Employee - Researcher in Budapest (Hungary)
    Former Employee - Researcher in Budapest (Hungary)

I worked at Hays plc as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great career advancement opportunities both within the company and outside
    Clear targets
    Incentives provided to reach certain targets
    Good, quality work is acknowledged

Cons

High pressure from the management
    You are valued only until you bring stable outstanding results
    Sometimes more focus on revenue than quality of candidates and long term relationship with clients

Good company to work for... but need to be able to fit in with culture

Current Employee - Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Hays plc

Pros

decent base for new training consultants, good training program, large corporate events, financial resources, great brand in singapore and easy to make money, monthly commission with low threshold. generally nice people and good culture if you are a social person. good reward incentives

Cons

office is a little cramped, are expanding aggressive forcing consultants into highly specialised verticals making it harder to make money. generally a very hierarchical structure and top down. a bit of a heavy drinking click which is ok, but you need to get involved if you want to progress in the company, socially and professionally.

commision structure is quite weak compared to toher companies

will not hesitate to let you go if it suits them

people are promoted on performance but not necessarily on aptitude for management.

IT Consultant

Former Employee - IT Consultant in Tokyo (Japan)
    Former Employee - IT Consultant in Tokyo (Japan)

I worked at Hays plc as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

As a consultant, it is earlier to change industry. Hays provided me such an opportunity.

Cons

It took several years to change to the normal career path. As IT consultant, even you can prove to you employer your value, it is likely difficult to be recognized.

Work life, culture, & Management

I worked at Hays plc full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay was good.

Cons

If you work smart like me then you can achieve what you need to for your role and more within a working day. It was frowned upon to leave on-time? Awkward to ask for flexibility.

There was also an acceptance for certain manager to be rude. Just because they seem to be doing a good job.

Understand that you get more from empowering your workforce not suppressing them, with the fallacy that working late means you are working better and harder.

Recruitment Consultant

I have been working at Hays plc

Pros

Great place to work if you are eager and driven.

Cons

as the roles involve both sales and recruitment it is important to be able to deal with high demands in both sides.

expected better

I worked at Hays plc as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Had a placement in an investment bank by Hays. At first stage the experience was perfect - the agent I worked with provided the job specs asap, arranged the interviews, etc. However I wish other sides of the process were more organised.

Cons

Pre-employment screening process was horrible. I had to upload a lot of documents into the slowest application in the world which kept crushing. The screening officer kept losing the filled forms and asked me e-mail them again and again.

Submitting electronic time-sheets (technical issues) and communication with payroll department - total nightmare, would avoid working for them again just for that reason. As a result, wrong tax code used, holiday pay delayed for weeks, late payments, etc.

When my assignment was coming to the end none of the agents approached with another contract opportunities.

You have to make sure you use all your holidays by the end of the year, otherwise you won't be paid.

Better staffing, communication within and between departments and effective screening system.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company is a meritocracy

Cons

You can work long hours