Hays plc

Be The First To
Add Photos

Hays plc CEO Alistair R. Cox

Alistair R. Cox

Pros
  • Flexible approach to work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Great training, International opportunities, good commission scheme (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Have to work really long hours, and leaving at 5 is almost unacceptable (in 8 reviews)

• When I left the senior management were not of this ilke and valued stats above all else (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Recruitment Consultant

Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat team of work colleagues and supportive to the nth degree , good brand name

ConsSenior Management are appalling I have never seen such a turnover of staff as I did at Hays, the leadership skills in my office were not existent and the director and senior manager were in constant "meetings" for no reason,. No real work done by these two. Attrition rate so high and no one at the top bothered at the way people were treated albeit people complained, if Hays really is Passionate about People they should start with their staff or loose the logo. I saw practices taking place which were abhorrent to me and quite frankly very dubious and totally against company policy. No one did a thing it was aloud to continue outrageous

Advice to Senior ManagementNigel Heap you need to sort this out as you have a lot of unhappy people who have left been pushed out due to nothing being done. The talent that has left is overwhelming and they are all at competitors. I did not want to leave but was left no choice with the behavior of my director

Low salary and hard to earn commission

Recruitment Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsLooks good on CV and good training. Global presence so there is the opportunity for international transfer

ConsManagement are good recruiters but terrible team leaders. In my office alone 12 people have left in the last 12 months due to poor management. The commission structure is awful and so is the work-life balance.

Good training VERY boiler room

Junior Consultant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThe training at Hays is unrivalled and the doors it opens for your next role is great too.

ConsVery boiler room and kpi driven. Not a great commission structure and you are lost amongst loads of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff and show some compassion. When you invest so much money in each recruit it seems pointless not to help them grow. There is no sympathy for potential without results. If you are the best you are well looked after but having ok figures makes you invisible. I am billing more than some of the top billers when I was there. This is mainly down to the support I was shown.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not impressed with the company at all.

Credit Director (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsThey answer their phone on a timely basis..

Cons..but do not give any pertinent info to would-be applicants. For example, when aked what industry sector this role is in, the answer was they are not at liberty to say.
    When asked what is salary range... same answer. Exclusivity? again, same silliness.
    Write-ups are not fully informative, Makes one feel that one is simply populating their databases.
    Not a big fan.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open, be honest, have integrity.

It is a good place to get recruiting experience but it is best to leave once you get to Senior Consultant level.

Business Manager (Former Employee) Canada, KY

ProsGood training. Good commission plan. A lot of nice employees in Canada.

ConsIn North America, managers have zero decision making power. The President's yearly messages contradict each other and he has no loyalty to his staff. Turnover is high because of this. Back office rule with an Iron fist and actually hamper sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward people who have performed well for you for several years rather than discarding them to focus on new starters. Live up to what you have promised your staff. Don't lie to people. Treat people with respect. I'm at a recruiting agency now that does this, and it's awesome!

If you want to recruit good recruiters, don't micro manage them incessantly

Practice Lead (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsHonestly, I thought long and hard about this and I cannot think of one thing they offer that I would recommend - well maybe their salary surveys.

ConsIf you want to be driven into the ground following their KPI's join. When one of the KPI's is 8 CV's per vacancy! then you have an idea of the calibre of the people you are working with. Managers spend all their time running searches on your activity and send you inane emails asking you whey your temp only put in 36 hours of timesheets last week!!

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow people to demonstrate that they can work under their own steam if given half a chance

Corporate machine with terrible retention and lack of discipline.

Associate Consultant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat training, good social life. Never a boring moment.

ConsExperienced sexism and racism, issues raised were not dealt with effectively by senior management. Persistent micro-managing and being threatened with my job until I eventually quit. Commission structure is also terrible in comparison to other recruitment companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is truly worrying how many managers who are not good managers seem to be protected for some reason. This company has a terrible reputation amongst every other recruitment agency I've spoken with and all for the same reasons I have listed above - too much micro-managing.

A company with no Ethics

IT Manager (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsSome very good people work at Hays and are very sociable. The management have no interest in maintaining a team and are more geared towards a factory model to make money. Would suit any managers working in this sort of an environment.

ConsNo direction from management. Self preservation attitude everywhere you turn. Mostly firefighting throughout rather than analyzing the actual problem.No company ethics towards employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to treat you employees better. You fired some of your most loyal and long serving employees which is disgraceful.

Head Hunter

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)

ProsThe people I work with

ConsManagment style, Income, stability, micro managment

Terrible experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosno pros. Just unprofessional people. Especially at the Leamington Spa Office.

Consno attention to the client. THEY DIDN'T PAY ME AT THE END OF THE ASSIGNMENT

Worked for Hays plc? Contribute to the Community!