Hays plc Reviews

Updated September 16, 2014
3.9

Hays plc CEO Alistair R. Cox
Alistair R. Cox

Pros
  • Flexible approach to work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Great training, International opportunities, good commission scheme (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Have to work really long hours, and leaving at 5 is almost unacceptable (in 8 reviews)

• When I left the senior management were not of this ilke and valued stats above all else (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Discussed

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Hays plc

Pros

There was nothing I liked about this place.

Cons

Very rude management team and reception staff. Most of the staff are so stuck up. (Darwin Office)

Truly horrific

Former Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant  in  Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Hays plc full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great benefits package
    - Outstanding Training
    - Good incentives

Cons

- Very little support for new employees on the job
    - Ignored unless you are an immediate superstar
    - Long hours and the expectation that you won't take a lunch break making the day even longer
    - Really poor commission structure

Pay more attention to your staff, be a little nicer about your clients and stop treating people like a number. I.e stop recruiting ten associate consultants with the expectation you'll keep two

Recruitment Consultant

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hays plc full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team of work colleagues and supportive to the nth degree , good brand name

Cons

Senior Management are appalling I have never seen such a turnover of staff as I did at Hays, the leadership skills in my office were not existent and the director and senior manager were in constant "meetings" for no reason,. No real work done by these two. Attrition rate so high and no one at the top bothered at the way people were treated albeit people complained, if Hays really is Passionate about People they should start with their staff or loose the logo. I saw practices taking place which were abhorrent to me and quite frankly very dubious and totally against company policy. No one did a thing it was aloud to continue outrageous

Nigel Heap you need to sort this out as you have a lot of unhappy people who have left been pushed out due to nothing being done. The talent that has left is overwhelming and they are all at competitors. I did not want to leave but was left no choice with the behavior of my director

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Low salary and hard to earn commission

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for less than a year

Pros

Looks good on CV and good training. Global presence so there is the opportunity for international transfer

Cons

Management are good recruiters but terrible team leaders. In my office alone 12 people have left in the last 12 months due to poor management. The commission structure is awful and so is the work-life balance.

Good training VERY boiler room

Former Employee - Junior Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Junior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hays plc full-time for more than a year

Pros

The training at Hays is unrivalled and the doors it opens for your next role is great too.

Cons

Very boiler room and kpi driven. Not a great commission structure and you are lost amongst loads of employees.

Listen to your staff and show some compassion. When you invest so much money in each recruit it seems pointless not to help them grow. There is no sympathy for potential without results. If you are the best you are well looked after but having ok figures makes you invisible. I am billing more than some of the top billers when I was there. This is mainly down to the support I was shown.

Not impressed with the company at all.

Current Employee - Credit Director  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Credit Director in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

They answer their phone on a timely basis..

Cons

..but do not give any pertinent info to would-be applicants. For example, when aked what industry sector this role is in, the answer was they are not at liberty to say.
    When asked what is salary range... same answer. Exclusivity? again, same silliness.
    Write-ups are not fully informative, Makes one feel that one is simply populating their databases.
    Not a big fan.

Be open, be honest, have integrity.

It is a good place to get recruiting experience but it is best to leave once you get to Senior Consultant level.

Former Employee - Business Manager  in  Canada, KY
    Former Employee - Business Manager in Canada, KY

I worked at Hays plc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good training. Good commission plan. A lot of nice employees in Canada.

Cons

In North America, managers have zero decision making power. The President's yearly messages contradict each other and he has no loyalty to his staff. Turnover is high because of this. Back office rule with an Iron fist and actually hamper sales.

Reward people who have performed well for you for several years rather than discarding them to focus on new starters. Live up to what you have promised your staff. Don't lie to people. Treat people with respect. I'm at a recruiting agency now that does this, and it's awesome!

If you want to recruit good recruiters, don't micro manage them incessantly

Former Employee - Practice Lead  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Practice Lead in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hays plc full-time for less than a year

Pros

Honestly, I thought long and hard about this and I cannot think of one thing they offer that I would recommend - well maybe their salary surveys.

Cons

If you want to be driven into the ground following their KPI's join. When one of the KPI's is 8 CV's per vacancy! then you have an idea of the calibre of the people you are working with. Managers spend all their time running searches on your activity and send you inane emails asking you whey your temp only put in 36 hours of timesheets last week!!

Allow people to demonstrate that they can work under their own steam if given half a chance

Corporate machine with terrible retention and lack of discipline.

Former Employee - Associate Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hays plc full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great training, good social life. Never a boring moment.

Cons

Experienced sexism and racism, issues raised were not dealt with effectively by senior management. Persistent micro-managing and being threatened with my job until I eventually quit. Commission structure is also terrible in comparison to other recruitment companies.

It is truly worrying how many managers who are not good managers seem to be protected for some reason. This company has a terrible reputation amongst every other recruitment agency I've spoken with and all for the same reasons I have listed above - too much micro-managing.

A company with no Ethics

Former Employee - IT Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - IT Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hays plc full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some very good people work at Hays and are very sociable. The management have no interest in maintaining a team and are more geared towards a factory model to make money. Would suit any managers working in this sort of an environment.

Cons

No direction from management. Self preservation attitude everywhere you turn. Mostly firefighting throughout rather than analyzing the actual problem.No company ethics towards employees.

Need to treat you employees better. You fired some of your most loyal and long serving employees which is disgraceful.

Worked for Hays plc? Contribute to the Community!