Hayward Baker

Hayward Baker President John Rubright
John Rubright

Good place to work

I have been working at Hayward Baker

Pros

Great benefits and modest pay. Growth opportunities and job training on and off the field.

Cons

Extensive traveling makes for less time at home.

Welder, Yard man , Fab , Operator

Current Employee - Welder in Glen Burnie, MD
    Current Employee - Welder in Glen Burnie, MD

I have been working at Hayward Baker full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People I work with. Over time

Cons

Not where I want to live...

I would like a career that has the opportunity of advancement.

Excellent company providing diverse project exposure

I have been working at Hayward Baker full-time

Pros

Great benefits, nice people, interesting and challenging projects

Cons

Extensive travel (for some positions), unclear career path development milestones (for some positions)

Growth continues to outpace resources. Consider this and the effect it has on the people trying to maintain the company's reputation and high standards. Implement telecommuting as a more regular option. Long commutes and extensive travel wear on people resulting in lower than expected output and quality. This company has the financial and IT resources to make this happen.

Have worked for Hayward Baker for 8 years

Current Employee - Equipment Operator
    Current Employee - Equipment Operator

I have been working at Hayward Baker full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Has great Insurance and retirement plan. If you are an hourly employee it is a great job with good pay IF AND WHEN you actually get to work. IF you are a salary employee you get paid whether you work or not, you get a PAID vacation, and depending on your position you get bonuses if a project finishes on time or early and under budget.

Cons

If like me, an hourly employee, and work out of the Texas offices, be prepared to be given the run around. IF and when you are sent to a jobsite that is just starting up, don't expect to go and start work. You MIGHT work 2 maybe 3 days for the first 2 or 3 weeks. You have NO paid vacation, If you ever have a family emergency you better make sure it happens M-F between 7am and 5pm because NO ONE who is in charge is going to answer their phone. ( Remember those salary people are getting a FULL paycheck, and won't answer their COMPANY PAID phone)

Get job supervisors that care whether ALL employees on a site get to work. Get people who check that the equipment going to a job is the RIGHT equipment, how hard can that be? I understand why you have salary employees, they are on call 24/7 which is why they are paid like they are. Shouldn't they also answer calls or messages from employees on their crew even after work hours? They sure expect us to answer. I know you probably think I'm just some jerk

It's a very good company to work for and the benefits are excellence.

Current Employee - Receptionist in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Hayward Baker full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are some very good people that I enjoyed being with while working there, they are helpful and considerate of others feeling.

Cons

I live in Loganville, GA and the company is in Alpharetta, GA it takes me 2 hours in the mornings to get to work and on the way home it might take 2 sometime 2 1/2 hours to get home.

To cross train your employees where they would be more helpful in the getting the work done. When one person is out the other can fill in.

Amazing company to work for, incredible opportunities.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Providence, RI

I have been working at Hayward Baker full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to see almost any technology available to the Geotechnical Construction community.

Cons

Pay scales are severely low compared to amount of work put in by motivated employees.

Current employee

Current Employee - Project Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Hayward Baker full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great leadership in the Tampa office. The management has an open door policy and has made positive and necessary changes to improve efficiency and morale. Good communication, benefits. Plenty of opportunity for those willing to be team players.

Cons

no cons to report at this time.

Continue to have open lines of communication and reward employees with stellar perfomance. Continue to build the right team.

Lack of ethical management

I have been working at Hayward Baker

Pros

Good pay, benefits, casual work environment.

Cons

At one time, this was a great place to work. You were treated well and you felt you were appreciated. Since new management took over in the Tampa office, things have gone downhill dramatically. Good employees have been let go for no reason. There is very low morale now.

Put in a strong leader, there used to be one two years ago.

Review from the field.

Current Employee - Field Engineer
    Current Employee - Field Engineer

I have been working at Hayward Baker full-time (more than an year)

Pros

All employees are very easy to work with. No sense of hierarchy, communication is lateral.

Cons

Jobs tend to absorb a lot of the employee's free time.

Hayward Baker treats employees well and takes all reasonable measures to retain valuable employees.

I have been working at Hayward Baker

Pros

Diversity in what we do... As a company performing a variety of techniques, an individual is exposed to different types of projects each day. Your roles changes a well... from engineer, to contractor, to salesman, to troubleshooter... It is tough to get bored in that environment.

Cons

It is not a downside of Hayward Baker but a downside of the construction industry. It is a very demanding industry. There is never enough time in a day and personal time is often interrupted.

N/A