Hazelden

Updated February 10, 2015
1.9

Mark G. Mishek

8 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Mission based and supportive team

Current Employee - Help Desk Team Lead in Center City, MN
    Current Employee - Help Desk Team Lead in Center City, MN

I have been working at Hazelden full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The employees truly care about the Organization's mission to help better the lives of those stricken with drug and alcohol addictions and I believe that is why they have so many long term employees. It gives you a sense of purpose.

Cons

The Organization is growing very quickly and upper Management sometimes has a hard time keeping up and making the right decisions based on resources and need. Some employees are overworked while others do not seem to have enough to do.

Staff seems knowledgeable and I believe if driven in the right direction the Organization will continue to grow and excel.

A sad decline from Twelve Step leadership to commodity treatment.

Current Employee - Manager in Center City, MN
    Current Employee - Manager in Center City, MN

I have been working at Hazelden full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good vacation policy and health insurance, opportunities for continuing education for chemical dependency professionals.

Cons

Hazelden has moved away from the multi-disciplinary "Minnesota Model" it pioneered. It is focused on making the most amount of money for the least amount of service. It is doing medication assisted treatment and cognitive behavioral treatment carried out by an endless supply of newly minted, low cost, inexperienced counselors from its graduate school and a rotating supply of post-doctoral fellows in the mental health clinic.

Re-read "Hazelden-A Spiritual Odyssey" and try to recapture the way of life that built Hazelden.

Worst place to work ever. Period. Inflated reputation

Current Employee - Addiction COunselor in Center City, MN
    Current Employee - Addiction COunselor in Center City, MN

I have been working at Hazelden full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

All white affluent client base.
    Large parking lot.
    You can date supervisors
    Used to have a good name in industry.
    Most clinicians do care about their caseload but are so overloaded they burnout.

Cons

Management is long in the tooth and incompetent. Clinicians in trenches get abused. Fake air by management of caring. Avg length of experience of clinician is less than a year. Turnover is around 50%
    They claim to be co-occurring friendly yet they gut the mental health department and most patients don't see mental health at all unless it's a crisis due to short staff. What staff they do have are mostly pre doc interns.
    They dismiss their best staff and keep ones who would not think outside of box or challenge a bad idea mgmt had.
    Horrible commute from Twin Cities
    I could go on but its getting depressing. Work anywhere but here. Don't say you haven't been warned.

Close the doors.

Sales Manager

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Center City, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Center City, MN

I have been working at Hazelden full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It pays good for a non profit with bad bonus structure

Cons

This organization is not familiar with diversity. Their primary employee and customer base is Caucasians. They have around 1-3% minorities employed there and marketing is targeted for Caucasian patients. They are "trying" to diversify themselves but do not know how to without looking racist. The Publishing Department promotes friends and family to leadership roles; even if they do not have the required experiences or results. If you are not family/friends with a manager, or if you did not grow up in the area, you have no merit. They will fire you before they fire low performers who are close to leaders in the organization. Approach with caution. The people in the department will make you believe they are being a friend when they are trying to throw you under the bus.

The Executive Team should manage and review the performance of revenue generators. Otherwise, management in the Publishing department will never consider it since it is their people they would have to reprimand.

Current employee and looking for another job.

Current Employee - Nurse in Center City, MN
    Current Employee - Nurse in Center City, MN

I have been working at Hazelden full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Beautiful grounds in natural setting.

Cons

When I started at Hazelden they had done some major changes in scheduling that now never allows nurses to have a wk end off without using PTO. Staff who had worked there for many years were sobbing and some were irate. Many have quit and it seems that there is still a very poor attitude with constant staff turn over. Nursing department is dysfunctional. Very heavy workload with poor support from management. Lying is routine. Poor leadership.

Clean house of current nursing management. Develop integrity.

Passionate employees, undermined by incompetent middle management

Former Employee - Senior Psychologist in Center City, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Psychologist in Center City, MN

I worked at Hazelden full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Committed 'in the trenches' workforce, admirable mission. The campus is beautiful, the commute doesn't have heavy traffic, that's really about it.

Cons

Where to start?
    1-Clinicians are paid below market median both nationally and for the state of MN
    2-There is a definite glass ceiling for employees not in recovery. Everyone knows who is and isn't because those who are talk about it incessantly, and go to the same meetings.
    3-The most opaque management structure I've ever worked for. No one knows who makes important decisions, or how said decisions were made. When policies are changed, they are changed unilaterally, without input from employees who will actually be responsible for implementing the changes.
    4-Related to # 3, when things go wrong, Hazelden is glacially slow at changing course
    5-Despite espousing the use of empirically supported treatments, psychologists are given an absurd amount of latitude to do whatever they want, and so some of my former colleagues were/are practicing woefully outmoded treatment approaches.
    6-Mercifully, the director of mental health was relieved of her duties a few months ago. This has not staunched the bleeding of the massive brain drain that has happened the last 2 years, where the mental health department has had 50% turnover. Those who left were all under 40, hungry, and highly productive. Those who stayed were the ones getting away with doing as little work as possible under the old leadership.
    7-The mental health department was not adequately staffed the entire 3+ years I worked there.
    8-There have been numerous layoffs in the last 6 months, and it is only getting worse.

I could go on and on, but I think this is plenty.

Make everything more transparent. Give employees a conduit to clearly state departmental concerns, without fear of retibution. For example, after being asked by management my opinions on what was wrong with the mental health department following the termination of the former director, I listed several growth areas. Shortly thereafter I accepted another job due to being consistently overworked and underpaid, I gave six weeks notice, and this was not honored/I was terminated and banned from campus. No explanation was given. This is not the way to attract talent, as treating doctoral level employees this way has a way of being disseminated.

Great employer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Center City, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Center City, MN

I have been working at Hazelden full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hazelden is a great place to work. They offer a competitive benefit package, competitive salaries, beautiful locations and working environments, excellent work/life balance, a great mission and vision and a leadership team that keeps everyone informed on what is going on within the organization and why changes are being made. No company is going to keep everyone happy and the sense of entitlement amongst employees suprises me at times. The company is going through some growing pains as we try to increase revenue in order to provide our services to more patients and renovate our outdated facilities, but I feel that executive team has a great vision and will lead us in the right direction to get there.

Cons

I think overall the leadership team needs additional training in order to improvement employee engagement and retention.

Not what it used to be

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Center City, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Center City, MN

I worked at Hazelden

Pros

Honorable work at reputable organization

Cons

Senior level incompetency is amazing

Listen to employees.