Hazelden Reviews in Center City, MN

Updated April 2, 2014

2.6

Mark G. Mishek

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Mission based and supportive team

Current Employee - Help Desk Team Lead  in  Center City, MN
    Current Employee - Help Desk Team Lead in Center City, MN

I have been working at Hazelden full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The employees truly care about the Organization's mission to help better the lives of those stricken with drug and alcohol addictions and I believe that is why they have so many long term employees. It gives you a sense of purpose.

Cons

The Organization is growing very quickly and upper Management sometimes has a hard time keeping up and making the right decisions based on resources and need. Some employees are overworked while others do not seem to have enough to do.

Staff seems knowledgeable and I believe if driven in the right direction the Organization will continue to grow and excel.

Current employee and looking for another job.

Current Employee - Nurse  in  Center City, MN
    Current Employee - Nurse in Center City, MN

I have been working at Hazelden full-time for more than a year

Pros

Beautiful grounds in natural setting.

Cons

When I started at Hazelden they had done some major changes in scheduling that now never allows nurses to have a wk end off without using PTO. Staff who had worked there for many years were sobbing and some were irate. Many have quit and it seems that there is still a very poor attitude with constant staff turn over. Nursing department is dysfunctional. Very heavy workload with poor support from management. Lying is routine. Poor leadership.

Clean house of current nursing management. Develop integrity.

Passionate employees, undermined by incompetent middle management

Former Employee - Senior Psychologist  in  Center City, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Psychologist in Center City, MN

I worked at Hazelden full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Committed 'in the trenches' workforce, admirable mission. The campus is beautiful, the commute doesn't have heavy traffic, that's really about it.

Cons

Where to start?
    1-Clinicians are paid below market median both nationally and for the state of MN
    2-There is a definite glass ceiling for employees not in recovery. Everyone knows who is and isn't because those who are talk about it incessantly, and go to the same meetings.
    3-The most opaque management structure I've ever worked for. No one knows who makes important decisions, or how said decisions were made. When policies are changed, they are changed unilaterally, without input from employees who will actually be responsible for implementing the changes.
    4-Related to # 3, when things go wrong, Hazelden is glacially slow at changing course
    5-Despite espousing the use of empirically supported treatments, psychologists are given an absurd amount of latitude to do whatever they want, and so some of my former colleagues were/are practicing woefully outmoded treatment approaches.
    6-Mercifully, the director of mental health was relieved of her duties a few months ago. This has not staunched the bleeding of the massive brain drain that has happened the last 2 years, where the mental health department has had 50% turnover. Those who left were all under 40, hungry, and highly productive. Those who stayed were the ones getting away with doing as little work as possible under the old leadership.
    7-The mental health department was not adequately staffed the entire 3+ years I worked there.
    8-There have been numerous layoffs in the last 6 months, and it is only getting worse.

I could go on and on, but I think this is plenty.

Make everything more transparent. Give employees a conduit to clearly state departmental concerns, without fear of retibution. For example, after being asked by management my opinions on what was wrong with the mental health department following the termination of the former director, I listed several growth areas. Shortly thereafter I accepted another job due to being consistently overworked and underpaid, I gave six weeks notice, and this was not honored/I was terminated and banned from campus. No explanation was given. This is not the way to attract talent, as treating doctoral level employees this way has a way of being disseminated.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great employer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Center City, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Center City, MN

I have been working at Hazelden full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hazelden is a great place to work. They offer a competitive benefit package, competitive salaries, beautiful locations and working environments, excellent work/life balance, a great mission and vision and a leadership team that keeps everyone informed on what is going on within the organization and why changes are being made. No company is going to keep everyone happy and the sense of entitlement amongst employees suprises me at times. The company is going through some growing pains as we try to increase revenue in order to provide our services to more patients and renovate our outdated facilities, but I feel that executive team has a great vision and will lead us in the right direction to get there.

Cons

I think overall the leadership team needs additional training in order to improvement employee engagement and retention.

Not what it used to be

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Center City, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Center City, MN

I worked at Hazelden

Pros

Honorable work at reputable organization

Cons

Senior level incompetency is amazing

Listen to employees.

Worked for Hazelden? Contribute to the Community!