Hazelden Reviews

Updated October 14, 2014
Updated October 14, 2014
2.4

Mark G. Mishek

Overall good company to work for

Current Employee - CD TECH in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - CD TECH in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at Hazelden part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most employees are working for this company for all the right reasons, and are great people to work with. Scheduling is flexible and compensation is competitive.

Cons

Hazelden has been overrun with the managed care model, and has departed from its core mission to provide high quality twelve step recovery services by transition to a more medical approach and bending to the will of insurance companies.

Burnout counselor. Hire a new one

Current Employee - CDP II
    Current Employee - CDP II

I have been working at Hazelden full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Campus is pretty. Most of staff friendly and caring. Good food

Cons

Overworked, underpaid. Culture of fear that if one small mistake is made you will be terminated. Sr mgmt has facade of caring.

Treat employees as well as you think you treat patients and loyalty will grow.

Sales Manager

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Center City, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Center City, MN

I have been working at Hazelden full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It pays good for a non profit with bad bonus structure

Cons

This organization is not familiar with diversity. Their primary employee and customer base is Caucasians. They have around 1-3% minorities employed there and marketing is targeted for Caucasian patients. They are "trying" to diversify themselves but do not know how to without looking racist. The Publishing Department promotes friends and family to leadership roles; even if they do not have the required experiences or results. If you are not family/friends with a manager, or if you did not grow up in the area, you have no merit. They will fire you before they fire low performers who are close to leaders in the organization. Approach with caution. The people in the department will make you believe they are being a friend when they are trying to throw you under the bus.

The Executive Team should manage and review the performance of revenue generators. Otherwise, management in the Publishing department will never consider it since it is their people they would have to reprimand.

Meaningful Work, Great Coworkers

I worked at Hazelden full-time

Pros

The people who work here are passionate about addiction, supportive, caring, and often have a great sense of humor. It is amazing to work for a company that truly provides world class and life changing treatment.

Cons

Fast paced work environment, which can often be pretty stressful. Residential treatment center requires working some holidays. Good training opportunities.

When organizational changes are being made, consulting with "front line staff" first would make things run more smoothly during transition times.

Mission based and supportive team

Current Employee - Help Desk Team Lead in Center City, MN
    Current Employee - Help Desk Team Lead in Center City, MN

I have been working at Hazelden full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The employees truly care about the Organization's mission to help better the lives of those stricken with drug and alcohol addictions and I believe that is why they have so many long term employees. It gives you a sense of purpose.

Cons

The Organization is growing very quickly and upper Management sometimes has a hard time keeping up and making the right decisions based on resources and need. Some employees are overworked while others do not seem to have enough to do.

Staff seems knowledgeable and I believe if driven in the right direction the Organization will continue to grow and excel.

Mixed Experiences of Work Climate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Hazelden part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation is above average for this field. Numerous opportunities for continued education via workshops etc. by highly knowledgable experts in the field of addiction/mental health.

Cons

Orientation was almost all exclusively via on-line webinars; the person who hired me and became my direct supervisor had virtually ZERO follow through with orientation or specific job expectations (my colleague hired at the same time shared this perspective that everything was extremely unclear regarding our job duties, role, expectations etc.). Observed some staff engaging in inappropriate interactions with patients in which they were abusing their positions of power and were degrading to residents--although the company has a policy in place in which we were supposed to be able to report infractions without fear of repercussion, when I attempted to discuss my concerns with my director, there was an immediate sense that I was being told I better change my perspective to that of observing 'tough love' (which it was NOT) and/or that I'd 'clearly misperceived' the interactions (I hadn't) and I was completely being 'subtly' encouraged to drop the issue. Additionally, there was a lot of internal politics that were unprofessional. I've been in the field many years, and really struggled to tolerate the climate of care.

Orientation needs to have more 'human' follow up rather than on-line sessions.

The policy of reporting ethical violations without negative repercussions needs to be practiced rather than just stated.

Compensation and continuing education opportunities were both excellent.

Their goal is to help families but does not include their employees with families.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Hazelden full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They truly strive to help people who suffer with this disease. The counselors are amazing to work with and believe in what they do.

Cons

Hazelden does not support their employees that have families. Supervisor's let employees influence their decisions on other employees.

I would take a look at who you are listening to when you have good employees, you are losing them because of bad employees.

wonderful place to work - heading in right direction

I have been working at Hazelden full-time

Pros

Mission. opportunity. opportunity to help people.

Cons

Chaotic leadership. unfortunate because CEO seems to be great leader but his next line of reports act like children.

Reliable Brand, Decent Pay

I have been working at Hazelden full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Despite a few layoffs, Hazelden feels very stable. They are diversified with locations all over the US and have a publishing company. Decent company matching retirement contribution. Opportunity for advancement if you are willing to embrace change and take on extra work.

Cons

Remote location far from the Twin Cities. Many employees live nearby and not many other employment options in this rural area means some of the workforce is stagnant.

Need more integration and collaboration between publishing and treatment facility.

Current employee and looking for another job.

Current Employee - Nurse in Center City, MN
    Current Employee - Nurse in Center City, MN

I have been working at Hazelden full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Beautiful grounds in natural setting.

Cons

When I started at Hazelden they had done some major changes in scheduling that now never allows nurses to have a wk end off without using PTO. Staff who had worked there for many years were sobbing and some were irate. Many have quit and it seems that there is still a very poor attitude with constant staff turn over. Nursing department is dysfunctional. Very heavy workload with poor support from management. Lying is routine. Poor leadership.

Clean house of current nursing management. Develop integrity.