Hazelden

Add Photos

Mark G. Mishek

Meaningful Work, Great Coworkers

Plymouth, MN

ProsThe people who work here are passionate about addiction, supportive, caring, and often have a great sense of humor. It is amazing to work for a company that truly provides world class and life changing treatment.

ConsFast paced work environment, which can often be pretty stressful. Residential treatment center requires working some holidays. Good training opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen organizational changes are being made, consulting with "front line staff" first would make things run more smoothly during transition times.

Mission based and supportive team

Help Desk Team Lead (Current Employee)
    Center City, MN

ProsThe employees truly care about the Organization's mission to help better the lives of those stricken with drug and alcohol addictions and I believe that is why they have so many long term employees. It gives you a sense of purpose.

ConsThe Organization is growing very quickly and upper Management sometimes has a hard time keeping up and making the right decisions based on resources and need. Some employees are overworked while others do not seem to have enough to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff seems knowledgeable and I believe if driven in the right direction the Organization will continue to grow and excel.

Mixed Experiences of Work Climate

Plymouth, MN

ProsCompensation is above average for this field. Numerous opportunities for continued education via workshops etc. by highly knowledgable experts in the field of addiction/mental health.

ConsOrientation was almost all exclusively via on-line webinars; the person who hired me and became my direct supervisor had virtually ZERO follow through with orientation or specific job expectations (my colleague hired at the same time shared this perspective that everything was extremely unclear regarding our job duties, role, expectations etc.). Observed some staff engaging in inappropriate interactions with patients in which they were abusing their positions of power and were degrading to residents--although the company has a policy in place in which we were supposed to be able to report infractions without fear of repercussion, when I attempted to discuss my concerns with my director, there was an immediate sense that I was being told I better change my perspective to that of observing 'tough love' (which it was NOT) and/or that I'd 'clearly misperceived' the interactions (I hadn't) and I was completely being 'subtly' encouraged to drop the issue. Additionally, there was a lot of internal politics that were unprofessional. I've been in the field many years, and really struggled to tolerate the climate of care.

Advice to Senior ManagementOrientation needs to have more 'human' follow up rather than on-line sessions.

The policy of reporting ethical violations without negative repercussions needs to be practiced rather than just stated.

Compensation and continuing education opportunities were both excellent.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Their goal is to help families but does not include their employees with families.

Plymouth, MN

ProsThey truly strive to help people who suffer with this disease. The counselors are amazing to work with and believe in what they do.

ConsHazelden does not support their employees that have families. Supervisor's let employees influence their decisions on other employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would take a look at who you are listening to when you have good employees, you are losing them because of bad employees.

wonderful place to work - heading in right direction

ProsMission. opportunity. opportunity to help people.

ConsChaotic leadership. unfortunate because CEO seems to be great leader but his next line of reports act like children.

Reliable Brand, Decent Pay

ProsDespite a few layoffs, Hazelden feels very stable. They are diversified with locations all over the US and have a publishing company. Decent company matching retirement contribution. Opportunity for advancement if you are willing to embrace change and take on extra work.

ConsRemote location far from the Twin Cities. Many employees live nearby and not many other employment options in this rural area means some of the workforce is stagnant.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more integration and collaboration between publishing and treatment facility.

Current employee and looking for another job.

Nurse (Current Employee)
    Center City, MN

ProsBeautiful grounds in natural setting.

ConsWhen I started at Hazelden they had done some major changes in scheduling that now never allows nurses to have a wk end off without using PTO. Staff who had worked there for many years were sobbing and some were irate. Many have quit and it seems that there is still a very poor attitude with constant staff turn over. Nursing department is dysfunctional. Very heavy workload with poor support from management. Lying is routine. Poor leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house of current nursing management. Develop integrity.

Drama and not safe to work there

Housekeeping (Former Employee)
    Newberg, OR

ProsTheir mission statement to help those with addictions or other issues is commendable. Their success rate is pretty good for the residents.

ConsNot cohesive between many of the staff. You have to watch your back so that others don't try to have you fired. Many have been fired on made up accusations. The environment does not encourage positive input. There is much wasted time (and therefore of money) on unimportant tasks. Good people leave the company and nothing is done about it. Going up the line of authority is a joke. The accommodations are that of a Motel 6. Penny pinching on many needs of the Residents as well as the staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because someone has worked there for many years does not mean they know what they're doing. Turning a blind eye to the mistreatment of employees is never good. Complaints to upper management were ignored.

Passionate employees, undermined by incompetent middle management

Senior Psychologist (Former Employee)
    Center City, MN

ProsCommitted 'in the trenches' workforce, admirable mission. The campus is beautiful, the commute doesn't have heavy traffic, that's really about it.

ConsWhere to start?
    1-Clinicians are paid below market median both nationally and for the state of MN
    2-There is a definite glass ceiling for employees not in recovery. Everyone knows who is and isn't because those who are talk about it incessantly, and go to the same meetings.
    3-The most opaque management structure I've ever worked for. No one knows who makes important decisions, or how said decisions were made. When policies are changed, they are changed unilaterally, without input from employees who will actually be responsible for implementing the changes.
    4-Related to # 3, when things go wrong, Hazelden is glacially slow at changing course
    5-Despite espousing the use of empirically supported treatments, psychologists are given an absurd amount of latitude to do whatever they want, and so some of my former colleagues were/are practicing woefully outmoded treatment approaches.
    6-Mercifully, the director of mental health was relieved of her duties a few months ago. This has not staunched the bleeding of the massive brain drain that has happened the last 2 years, where the mental health department has had 50% turnover. Those who left were all under 40, hungry, and highly productive. Those who stayed were the ones getting away with doing as little work as possible under the old leadership.
    7-The mental health department was not adequately staffed the entire 3+ years I worked there.
    8-There have been numerous layoffs in the last 6 months, and it is only getting worse.

I could go on and on, but I think this is plenty.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake everything more transparent. Give employees a conduit to clearly state departmental concerns, without fear of retibution. For example, after being asked by management my opinions on what was wrong with the mental health department following the termination of the former director, I listed several growth areas. Shortly thereafter I accepted another job due to being consistently overworked and underpaid, I gave six weeks notice, and this was not honored/I was terminated and banned from campus. No explanation was given. This is not the way to attract talent, as treating doctoral level employees this way has a way of being disseminated.

Great employer

Center City, MN

ProsHazelden is a great place to work. They offer a competitive benefit package, competitive salaries, beautiful locations and working environments, excellent work/life balance, a great mission and vision and a leadership team that keeps everyone informed on what is going on within the organization and why changes are being made. No company is going to keep everyone happy and the sense of entitlement amongst employees suprises me at times. The company is going through some growing pains as we try to increase revenue in order to provide our services to more patients and renovate our outdated facilities, but I feel that executive team has a great vision and will lead us in the right direction to get there.

ConsI think overall the leadership team needs additional training in order to improvement employee engagement and retention.

Worked for Hazelden? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hazelden reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hazelden CEO Mark G. Mishek. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by Hazelden employees.