Hazelden Reviews

Updated February 27, 2015
21 reviews filtered by
2.5
Mark G. Mishek

1. Great organizaiton, mission and people!

I have been working at Hazelden full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The amazing work our clinical staff does to help individuals, families and communities that struggle with addiction, a committment by the organization to be of service and continually improve and change, the merger with Betty Ford that makes Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation a true global force of hope and healing.

Cons

Like all organizations there are areas of great opportunity, Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation does a good job of addressing these. Patient satisfaction, employee engagement, effeciencies, etc. are all being worked on!

Be available to all employees and continue engaging in their feedback - hear their voice because they are the ones doing the hard work!

2. Great place to work! Especially for your resume.

I have been working at Hazelden

Pros

Hazelden is world famous and will open doors in many other places when and if you decide to leave. There are a lot of resources available on site, and everyone works together.

Cons

Employees can be overworked and under compensated. Skilled counsellors deserve a lot more than $49,000 There is a high turnover rate of employees; not because of a poor environment, but because CD counsellors deserve to be paid more for their work!

Increase benefit packages/salaries and increase retention of employees.

3. A sad decline from Twelve Step leadership to commodity treatment.

Current Employee - Manager in Center City, MN
    Current Employee - Manager in Center City, MN

I have been working at Hazelden full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good vacation policy and health insurance, opportunities for continuing education for chemical dependency professionals.

Cons

Hazelden has moved away from the multi-disciplinary "Minnesota Model" it pioneered. It is focused on making the most amount of money for the least amount of service. It is doing medication assisted treatment and cognitive behavioral treatment carried out by an endless supply of newly minted, low cost, inexperienced counselors from its graduate school and a rotating supply of post-doctoral fellows in the mental health clinic.

Re-read "Hazelden-A Spiritual Odyssey" and try to recapture the way of life that built Hazelden.

Worst place to work ever. Period. Inflated reputation

Current Employee - Addiction COunselor in Center City, MN
    Current Employee - Addiction COunselor in Center City, MN

I have been working at Hazelden full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

All white affluent client base.
    Large parking lot.
    You can date supervisors
    Used to have a good name in industry.
    Most clinicians do care about their caseload but are so overloaded they burnout.

Cons

Management is long in the tooth and incompetent. Clinicians in trenches get abused. Fake air by management of caring. Avg length of experience of clinician is less than a year. Turnover is around 50%
    They claim to be co-occurring friendly yet they gut the mental health department and most patients don't see mental health at all unless it's a crisis due to short staff. What staff they do have are mostly pre doc interns.
    They dismiss their best staff and keep ones who would not think outside of box or challenge a bad idea mgmt had.
    Horrible commute from Twin Cities
    I could go on but its getting depressing. Work anywhere but here. Don't say you haven't been warned.

Close the doors.

Sales Manager

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Center City, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Center City, MN

I have been working at Hazelden full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It pays good for a non profit with bad bonus structure

Cons

This organization is not familiar with diversity. Their primary employee and customer base is Caucasians. They have around 1-3% minorities employed there and marketing is targeted for Caucasian patients. They are "trying" to diversify themselves but do not know how to without looking racist. The Publishing Department promotes friends and family to leadership roles; even if they do not have the required experiences or results. If you are not family/friends with a manager, or if you did not grow up in the area, you have no merit. They will fire you before they fire low performers who are close to leaders in the organization. Approach with caution. The people in the department will make you believe they are being a friend when they are trying to throw you under the bus.

The Executive Team should manage and review the performance of revenue generators. Otherwise, management in the Publishing department will never consider it since it is their people they would have to reprimand.

Overall good company to work for

Current Employee - CD TECH in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - CD TECH in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at Hazelden part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most employees are working for this company for all the right reasons, and are great people to work with. Scheduling is flexible and compensation is competitive.

Cons

Hazelden has been overrun with the managed care model, and has departed from its core mission to provide high quality twelve step recovery services by transition to a more medical approach and bending to the will of insurance companies.

8. Meaningful Work, Great Coworkers

I worked at Hazelden full-time

Pros

The people who work here are passionate about addiction, supportive, caring, and often have a great sense of humor. It is amazing to work for a company that truly provides world class and life changing treatment.

Cons

Fast paced work environment, which can often be pretty stressful. Residential treatment center requires working some holidays. Good training opportunities.

When organizational changes are being made, consulting with "front line staff" first would make things run more smoothly during transition times.

Mission based and supportive team

Current Employee - Help Desk Team Lead in Center City, MN
    Current Employee - Help Desk Team Lead in Center City, MN

I have been working at Hazelden full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The employees truly care about the Organization's mission to help better the lives of those stricken with drug and alcohol addictions and I believe that is why they have so many long term employees. It gives you a sense of purpose.

Cons

The Organization is growing very quickly and upper Management sometimes has a hard time keeping up and making the right decisions based on resources and need. Some employees are overworked while others do not seem to have enough to do.

Staff seems knowledgeable and I believe if driven in the right direction the Organization will continue to grow and excel.

Mixed Experiences of Work Climate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Hazelden part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation is above average for this field. Numerous opportunities for continued education via workshops etc. by highly knowledgable experts in the field of addiction/mental health.

Cons

Orientation was almost all exclusively via on-line webinars; the person who hired me and became my direct supervisor had virtually ZERO follow through with orientation or specific job expectations (my colleague hired at the same time shared this perspective that everything was extremely unclear regarding our job duties, role, expectations etc.). Observed some staff engaging in inappropriate interactions with patients in which they were abusing their positions of power and were degrading to residents--although the company has a policy in place in which we were supposed to be able to report infractions without fear of repercussion, when I attempted to discuss my concerns with my director, there was an immediate sense that I was being told I better change my perspective to that of observing 'tough love' (which it was NOT) and/or that I'd 'clearly misperceived' the interactions (I hadn't) and I was completely being 'subtly' encouraged to drop the issue. Additionally, there was a lot of internal politics that were unprofessional. I've been in the field many years, and really struggled to tolerate the climate of care.

Orientation needs to have more 'human' follow up rather than on-line sessions.

The policy of reporting ethical violations without negative repercussions needs to be practiced rather than just stated.

Compensation and continuing education opportunities were both excellent.

Their goal is to help families but does not include their employees with families.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Hazelden full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They truly strive to help people who suffer with this disease. The counselors are amazing to work with and believe in what they do.

Cons

Hazelden does not support their employees that have families. Supervisor's let employees influence their decisions on other employees.

I would take a look at who you are listening to when you have good employees, you are losing them because of bad employees.