Hazen and Sawyer Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.1
Charles S. Hocking

Terrific company, supportive environment, great long-term growth potential

Current Employee - Senior Principal Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In the relatively short amount of time I have been with Hazen, I have seen the responsibilities under my purview grow exponentially and the opportunities for me within the company expand in equal measure. Hazen encourages and supports smart, entrepreneurial staff and the flat management style allows for direct contact with upper management, who I have personally always found receptive to my ideas and suggestions. I have been afforded the opportunity to make significant contributions to some of the highest-profile projects within NYC and I find myself constantly engaged and challenged. Terrific team mentality encourages collaboration and idea sharing.

Cons

At times, deadlines require additional effort and hours beyond the normal working day, but as a whole I find the company is sensitive to work-life balance.

2. Senior Associate

I worked at Hazen and Sawyer full-time

Pros

Mid-size Firm. Went out of their way to accommodate employees. Name recognition.

Cons

Too many to list. Arrogant. Condescending. Alienate employees and Clients. Untruthfully manipulate employees.

Advice to Management

Retire and get new people involved.

3. Great to have on your resume

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the employees are great. Amazing if you like to party, (that's if you are part of the in group). Pays my bills for now.

Cons

You always have to keep your guard up, someone is always going behind your back trying to get your job. To many CLIQUES. To many egos. Temporary employees that are kept for over 10 years and arent given fulltime status so they don't have to pay benefits or taxes.

Advice to Management

Take a poll and ask your employees opinions.

Awesome place to work, with caveats

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Hazen and Sawyer

Pros

This place was great, except for being a slightly quiet environment. There is a small amount of talking behind peoples backs that goes on, but mostly, just fairly quiet, and relaxed.

Cons

Salary was a bit low for what I was expecting, and people come and go, with relative regularity. Not really a family atmosphere, and fairly conservative, with regards to conversation topics during relaxed moments.

Advice to Management

Move along the same path you're walking down, just try to enliven the corporate culture, as it was relatively dry when I left in 2014.

It's an OK place to boost up your resume

I worked at Hazen and Sawyer

Pros

working in the city is a great place to start your career

Cons

it's a great place to leave... :)

Advice to Management

you guys have the corner office and the bonus... I think you should figure this one out on your own :)

7. Great company

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer

Pros

Great atmosphere and friendly coworkers. Lots of fun activities to do during lunch break and after work

Cons

No cons I can think of

Half good and half bad

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great projects to be associated with

Cons

Too many self-absorbed bloated egos

Advice to Management

pay attention to the guys doing the work and know what they do

Assistant engineer

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer full-time

Pros

Hazen and Sawyer has allowed me to work on a wide variety of different projects. Each day is a new challenge and there is always something to learn. Although I have only been with the company for a few months, Hazen has taught me not to just look at the task at hand, but to always be aware of the big picture. This has allowed me to really appreciate the work I do. It's great.

Cons

Office communication could be improved

Great work environment with lots of opportunities

Current Employee - Assistant Engineer
    Current Employee - Assistant Engineer

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a young engineer, I have really appreciated the level to which I am exposed to interesting projects and given a meaningful role in them. I am given responsibility to handle tasks that I am qualified to carry out, but also pushed to grow and learn as I take on new responsibilities. There is a culture of collaboration at this company and a lot of really talented individuals who work here. I have access to the all the necessary resources and can get feedback or input whenever needed.

There are also plenty of opportunities to get involved in activities related to professional development. I have really enjoyed my involvement with the local chapter of the Water Environment Federation, and the opportunity to author papers and give presentations on topics on relevant wastewater issues. Overall, I feel that I am valued as an employee at Hazen and Sawyer, and I am able to meaningfully contribute to the company and our clients, which makes my job very fulfilling.

Cons

I honestly don’t have any complaints. It is sometimes necessary to put in additional hours to meet deadlines etc., but I believe I am well compensated for that time.

Great opportunities and Mentorship

Current Employee - Assistant Engineer in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working for Hazen and Sawyer for 3 years and 10 months. Since starting with the company I have been exposed to a variety of different projects that have expanded my knowledge on water/wastewater treatment both "in the fence" and "out of the fence". After having worked on various projects I found myself more interested in wastewater-related projects. The company has been extremely good in allowing me to work on these types of projects and getting involved in various different ways. It has helped me to grow both in knowledge on the various wastewater treatment process, but also gain some design experience.

From Day 1 I have been provided PLENTY of guidance on whatever project I have been working on and constantly have had a mentor or someone to give me direction along the way. Having a mentor and other professionals to learn under has added an immense value to my employment and one which I would not give up.

The company also provides me with ample opportunities to get involved in various professional organizations for networking and professional development which have helped me immensely. Another great point is that I can participate in these professional development activities (i.e. attending a state/national conference) and am not required to make up the hours.

I have a generous/fair amount of PTO (120 hours/year for your first 5-years) and have never had issues with taking PTO so long as I gave plenty of advanced notice to my project managers. We are also able to roll-over any hours that are not used in a calendar year, but with a cap on the roll-over (140 hours).

There is also a vast amount of knowledge/experience within the company which is available all the time by simply picking up the phone and calling someone or sending an email.

I have had to work some extra hours to complete project work, but working extra hours is never encouraged or forced by any means. There is no overtime pay; however, there are other means of compensation.

Annual evaluations are conducted with raises based on merit. Thus, I have received recognition for my hard work and receive compensation via pay increase reflecting my efforts. Motivated individuals will be noticed.

Cons

I do not have anything negative to say about the company at this time.

Advice to Management

Please continue to emphasize mentoring the younger engineers by partnering us with project managers and other senior engineers to provide guidance/direction in our work.

Please continue to provide opportunities for younger engineers to network and interact with other professionals by attending conferences and other professional development activities. This has actually helped me to see greater benefits of being part of Hazen and Sawyer compared to other consulting firms.

RSS Feed </> Embed