Hazen and Sawyer
www.hazenandsawyer.com New York, NY 500 to 999 Employees

Hazen and Sawyer Reviews

Updated Apr 2, 2014
Hazen and Sawyer – US – “CM Office”

Charles S. Hocking

Assistant engineer

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer full-time

ProsHazen and Sawyer has allowed me to work on a wide variety of different projects. Each day is a new challenge and there is always something to learn. Although I have only been with the company for a few months, Hazen has taught me not to just look at the task at hand, but to always be aware of the big picture. This has allowed me to really appreciate the work I do. It's great.

ConsOffice communication could be improved

Half good and half bad

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat projects to be associated with

ConsToo many self-absorbed bloated egos

Advice to Senior Managementpay attention to the guys doing the work and know what they do

"Ineptitude and Incompetence at the TOP"

Principal Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNone, As a young Engineer, I am seeking opportunities outside this firm and will be leaving as soon as the right opportunity presents itself. The job situation in the environmental field is slated for big spending in the coming year , in NY and other parts of the tristate.

ConsTrapped in a culture of Favoritsm and Nepotism to the detriment of the majority of the employees.. There is very little chance of moving in one of those entrenched positions held by the most incompetent group of individuals currently there. Case in point, the mismanagement of the NYCDEP market.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourself!

Great work environment with lots of opportunities

Assistant Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer full-time for more than a year

ProsAs a young engineer, I have really appreciated the level to which I am exposed to interesting projects and given a meaningful role in them. I am given responsibility to handle tasks that I am qualified to carry out, but also pushed to grow and learn as I take on new responsibilities. There is a culture of collaboration at this company and a lot of really talented individuals who work here. I have access to the all the necessary resources and can get feedback or input whenever needed.

There are also plenty of opportunities to get involved in activities related to professional development. I have really enjoyed my involvement with the local chapter of the Water Environment Federation, and the opportunity to author papers and give presentations on topics on relevant wastewater issues. Overall, I feel that I am valued as an employee at Hazen and Sawyer, and I am able to meaningfully contribute to the company and our clients, which makes my job very fulfilling.

ConsI honestly don’t have any complaints. It is sometimes necessary to put in additional hours to meet deadlines etc., but I believe I am well compensated for that time.

So glad I'm outta here!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hazen and Sawyer

ProsI'll get back to you on this one, this will take some time.

ConsAfter working there, they make every other company look fantastic

Great opportunities and Mentorship

Assistant Engineer (Current Employee)
Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI have been working for Hazen and Sawyer for 3 years and 10 months. Since starting with the company I have been exposed to a variety of different projects that have expanded my knowledge on water/wastewater treatment both "in the fence" and "out of the fence". After having worked on various projects I found myself more interested in wastewater-related projects. The company has been extremely good in allowing me to work on these types of projects and getting involved in various different ways. It has helped me to grow both in knowledge on the various wastewater treatment process, but also gain some design experience.

From Day 1 I have been provided PLENTY of guidance on whatever project I have been working on and constantly have had a mentor or someone to give me direction along the way. Having a mentor and other professionals to learn under has added an immense value to my employment and one which I would not give up.

The company also provides me with ample opportunities to get involved in various professional organizations for networking and professional development which have helped me immensely. Another great point is that I can participate in these professional development activities (i.e. attending a state/national conference) and am not required to make up the hours.

I have a generous/fair amount of PTO (120 hours/year for your first 5-years) and have never had issues with taking PTO so long as I gave plenty of advanced notice to my project managers. We are also able to roll-over any hours that are not used in a calendar year, but with a cap on the roll-over (140 hours).

There is also a vast amount of knowledge/experience within the company which is available all the time by simply picking up the phone and calling someone or sending an email.

I have had to work some extra hours to complete project work, but working extra hours is never encouraged or forced by any means. There is no overtime pay; however, there are other means of compensation.

Annual evaluations are conducted with raises based on merit. Thus, I have received recognition for my hard work and receive compensation via pay increase reflecting my efforts. Motivated individuals will be noticed.

ConsI do not have anything negative to say about the company at this time.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease continue to emphasize mentoring the younger engineers by partnering us with project managers and other senior engineers to provide guidance/direction in our work.

Please continue to provide opportunities for younger engineers to network and interact with other professionals by attending conferences and other professional development activities. This has actually helped me to see greater benefits of being part of Hazen and Sawyer compared to other consulting firms.

It's a supportive environment that encourages growth and creative thinking.

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMy salary is competitive and the opportunities for me to give open and honest input are numerous. I've always felt that my opinions have always been considered. I'm a troubleshooter and free-thinker by nature and therefore find this extremely important. I also don't have a negative word to say about anyone I've met in the firm. Even after work social events have been fantastic!

ConsI don't really anything to say about the firm...perhaps more PTO or separate sick days would be nice. It would also be nice to see more cultural events to recognize and celebrate the great diversity that can be found within the firm.

Perfect fit for motivated, self-starters who desire technical, client need driven engineering

Senior Associate (Current Employee)
Hollywood, FL

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer full-time for more than 10 years

ProsHazen offers a senior staff with vast, in-depth water and wastewater engineering experience. Because the company has solely focused on water and wastewater, individual engineers have maintained expertise in these two fields and offer an unsurpassed depth of knowledge. Employees truly maintain the best interests of the client and the environment, from selecting the most cost effective technology to meet/exceed environmental regulations to working ourselves out of future work by providing technical data/discussion against the occasional, potential legislation that may have minimal or nil positive benefit on the environment at a huge financial burden to the utilities. The bigger picture is not lost and because of this, we continue to win projects and maintain general consulting agreements with long term clients while maintaining a profitable business.

Every engineer has the opportunity to advance and work directly for clients at even an entry level. Little hierarchy exists - we all perform the work that is required for each and every project regardless of our level. Having Vice Presidents who still perform engineering (as opposed to only business development), significantly benefits our company financially but even more importantly our clients.

ConsYoung engineers who desire formal training and career pathways will be challenged here. Engineers must be outgoing and self-sufficient from the outset of their careers in order to excel. Assistance is available to young engineers, as a wealth of previous project experience exists, but will not be spoon fed.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course!

Hazen and Sawyer has provided me many opportunities to advance my skills and career.

New York, NY

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer full-time for more than 8 years

ProsA great company. CEO is doing a great job positioning the firm for geographic growth as well as improving market share in existing areas. I joined Hazen and Sawyer 8 years ago from a much smaller firm and was concerned at the time of the perceived downside of joining a larger firm. My concerns weren't justified, as very early in my career I had the opportunity to manage projects, and I've taken on varied and interesting challenges through the years.

ConsSome growing pains as the firm expands Westward and looks to cultivate a more diverse client base. Challenges as many capital programs for existing clients are projected to shrink, necessitating growth in new markets. Improved IT support could improve employee efficiency.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course!

The company where trust doesn't exist.

Senior Principal Engineer (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat location for commuting. Nearby restaurants will make lunch options interesting. The free office coffee could be worse. For now at least I am safe.

ConsYou don't want to work here. This is a company built of fiefdoms that are fighting each other every single day to survive. The victims are the employees and the clients. Thanks to poor quality control at every single level and area of the work that gets produced here, Hazen and Sawyer has been blacklisted from getting new work in the northeast.
With the company outlook being so bad layoffs are common place. Over worked younger cheaper employees who aren't trained properly are now shouldering the workloads of the many who were cut. If you want to work here be prepared to be forced to do unpaid overtime. Lots of unpaid overtime. Of course none of that is ever said in emails. But be prepared to be called into an office if you would like to use any vacation time, and be reminded how lucky you are to be employed here. Then being told taking a vacation, or even a single day off for a doctor's appointment isn't the best choice right now.
Working hard doesn't keep you employed here, it's all about who you know. Unfortunately because of this we have lost many, many employees that we desperately needed. The work we do continues to suffer from this. Older employees are living in fear of the younger employees. Knowing they are there to take their positions. Unfortunately this has become increasingly ugly. Younger employees are finding themselves without proper training and the target of frequent scapegoating. Sadly HR has never been interested in protecting employee rights.
The saddest part is that when you talk to employees who were let go, besides the uncertainty they feel about the job market, they all feel relieved. They are happy to be out of here.
This isnt the company I wanted to joined, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't see this coming. Coming to work everyday gets harder and harder. Looking into the faces of younger employees fills me with guilt.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with your employees as to what is going on. As is now the copy machines are working full blast on resumes. Every where you look people are scared, stressed, and angry about the way you have been mistreating them. It's harder and harder for us to go to work every day.

Worked for Hazen and Sawyer? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hazen and Sawyer reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hazen and Sawyer CEO Charles S. Hocking. All 27 reviews posted anonymously by Hazen and Sawyer employees.