Hazen and Sawyer

4.1

Charles S. Hocking

Assistant engineer

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer full-time

Pros

Hazen and Sawyer has allowed me to work on a wide variety of different projects. Each day is a new challenge and there is always something to learn. Although I have only been with the company for a few months, Hazen has taught me not to just look at the task at hand, but to always be aware of the big picture. This has allowed me to really appreciate the work I do. It's great.

Cons

Office communication could be improved

Half good and half bad

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great projects to be associated with

Cons

Too many self-absorbed bloated egos

pay attention to the guys doing the work and know what they do

Great work environment with lots of opportunities

Current Employee - Assistant Engineer
    Current Employee - Assistant Engineer

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a young engineer, I have really appreciated the level to which I am exposed to interesting projects and given a meaningful role in them. I am given responsibility to handle tasks that I am qualified to carry out, but also pushed to grow and learn as I take on new responsibilities. There is a culture of collaboration at this company and a lot of really talented individuals who work here. I have access to the all the necessary resources and can get feedback or input whenever needed.

There are also plenty of opportunities to get involved in activities related to professional development. I have really enjoyed my involvement with the local chapter of the Water Environment Federation, and the opportunity to author papers and give presentations on topics on relevant wastewater issues. Overall, I feel that I am valued as an employee at Hazen and Sawyer, and I am able to meaningfully contribute to the company and our clients, which makes my job very fulfilling.

Cons

I honestly don’t have any complaints. It is sometimes necessary to put in additional hours to meet deadlines etc., but I believe I am well compensated for that time.

Great opportunities and Mentorship

Current Employee - Assistant Engineer in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working for Hazen and Sawyer for 3 years and 10 months. Since starting with the company I have been exposed to a variety of different projects that have expanded my knowledge on water/wastewater treatment both "in the fence" and "out of the fence". After having worked on various projects I found myself more interested in wastewater-related projects. The company has been extremely good in allowing me to work on these types of projects and getting involved in various different ways. It has helped me to grow both in knowledge on the various wastewater treatment process, but also gain some design experience.

From Day 1 I have been provided PLENTY of guidance on whatever project I have been working on and constantly have had a mentor or someone to give me direction along the way. Having a mentor and other professionals to learn under has added an immense value to my employment and one which I would not give up.

The company also provides me with ample opportunities to get involved in various professional organizations for networking and professional development which have helped me immensely. Another great point is that I can participate in these professional development activities (i.e. attending a state/national conference) and am not required to make up the hours.

I have a generous/fair amount of PTO (120 hours/year for your first 5-years) and have never had issues with taking PTO so long as I gave plenty of advanced notice to my project managers. We are also able to roll-over any hours that are not used in a calendar year, but with a cap on the roll-over (140 hours).

There is also a vast amount of knowledge/experience within the company which is available all the time by simply picking up the phone and calling someone or sending an email.

I have had to work some extra hours to complete project work, but working extra hours is never encouraged or forced by any means. There is no overtime pay; however, there are other means of compensation.

Annual evaluations are conducted with raises based on merit. Thus, I have received recognition for my hard work and receive compensation via pay increase reflecting my efforts. Motivated individuals will be noticed.

Cons

I do not have anything negative to say about the company at this time.

Please continue to emphasize mentoring the younger engineers by partnering us with project managers and other senior engineers to provide guidance/direction in our work.

Please continue to provide opportunities for younger engineers to network and interact with other professionals by attending conferences and other professional development activities. This has actually helped me to see greater benefits of being part of Hazen and Sawyer compared to other consulting firms.

Great Firm

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Hazen and Sawyer has very strong technical expertise for anything related to water and environmental engineering. The culture makes it a fun place to work and offers good career growth for motivated engineers.

Cons

Must be a self starter and willing to ask questions to do well in this culture.

Management should communicate more to staff about future outlook and plans.

It's a supportive environment that encourages growth and creative thinking.

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My salary is competitive and the opportunities for me to give open and honest input are numerous. I've always felt that my opinions have always been considered. I'm a troubleshooter and free-thinker by nature and therefore find this extremely important. I also don't have a negative word to say about anyone I've met in the firm. Even after work social events have been fantastic!

Cons

I don't really anything to say about the firm...perhaps more PTO or separate sick days would be nice. It would also be nice to see more cultural events to recognize and celebrate the great diversity that can be found within the firm.

The company where trust doesn't exist.

Current Employee - Senior Principal Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great location for commuting. Nearby restaurants will make lunch options interesting. The free office coffee could be worse. For now at least I am safe.

Cons

You don't want to work here. This is a company built of fiefdoms that are fighting each other every single day to survive. The victims are the employees and the clients. Thanks to poor quality control at every single level and area of the work that gets produced here, Hazen and Sawyer has been blacklisted from getting new work in the northeast.
    With the company outlook being so bad layoffs are common place. Over worked younger cheaper employees who aren't trained properly are now shouldering the workloads of the many who were cut. If you want to work here be prepared to be forced to do unpaid overtime. Lots of unpaid overtime. Of course none of that is ever said in emails. But be prepared to be called into an office if you would like to use any vacation time, and be reminded how lucky you are to be employed here. Then being told taking a vacation, or even a single day off for a doctor's appointment isn't the best choice right now.
    Working hard doesn't keep you employed here, it's all about who you know. Unfortunately because of this we have lost many, many employees that we desperately needed. The work we do continues to suffer from this. Older employees are living in fear of the younger employees. Knowing they are there to take their positions. Unfortunately this has become increasingly ugly. Younger employees are finding themselves without proper training and the target of frequent scapegoating. Sadly HR has never been interested in protecting employee rights.
    The saddest part is that when you talk to employees who were let go, besides the uncertainty they feel about the job market, they all feel relieved. They are happy to be out of here.
    This isnt the company I wanted to joined, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't see this coming. Coming to work everyday gets harder and harder. Looking into the faces of younger employees fills me with guilt.

Be honest with your employees as to what is going on. As is now the copy machines are working full blast on resumes. Every where you look people are scared, stressed, and angry about the way you have been mistreating them. It's harder and harder for us to go to work every day.

Hazen and Sawyer has provided me many opportunities to advance my skills and career.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A great company. CEO is doing a great job positioning the firm for geographic growth as well as improving market share in existing areas. I joined Hazen and Sawyer 8 years ago from a much smaller firm and was concerned at the time of the perceived downside of joining a larger firm. My concerns weren't justified, as very early in my career I had the opportunity to manage projects, and I've taken on varied and interesting challenges through the years.

Cons

Some growing pains as the firm expands Westward and looks to cultivate a more diverse client base. Challenges as many capital programs for existing clients are projected to shrink, necessitating growth in new markets. Improved IT support could improve employee efficiency.

Stay the course!

Perfect fit for motivated, self-starters who desire technical, client need driven engineering

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Hollywood, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Hollywood, FL

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Hazen offers a senior staff with vast, in-depth water and wastewater engineering experience. Because the company has solely focused on water and wastewater, individual engineers have maintained expertise in these two fields and offer an unsurpassed depth of knowledge. Employees truly maintain the best interests of the client and the environment, from selecting the most cost effective technology to meet/exceed environmental regulations to working ourselves out of future work by providing technical data/discussion against the occasional, potential legislation that may have minimal or nil positive benefit on the environment at a huge financial burden to the utilities. The bigger picture is not lost and because of this, we continue to win projects and maintain general consulting agreements with long term clients while maintaining a profitable business.

Every engineer has the opportunity to advance and work directly for clients at even an entry level. Little hierarchy exists - we all perform the work that is required for each and every project regardless of our level. Having Vice Presidents who still perform engineering (as opposed to only business development), significantly benefits our company financially but even more importantly our clients.

Cons

Young engineers who desire formal training and career pathways will be challenged here. Engineers must be outgoing and self-sufficient from the outset of their careers in order to excel. Assistance is available to young engineers, as a wealth of previous project experience exists, but will not be spoon fed.

Stay the course!

Great opportunities for motivated people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Hazen and Sawyer is a growing, mid-size firm with extremely strong technical expertise. I work in the Raleigh office with an amazing group of people, both from a knowledge/technical standpoint and a social standpoint. For the younger crowd (and young at heart) there are a lot of official and unofficial activities that really make this a special place to work. For people who are willing to work hard, there are a lot of opportunities to advance and be given responsibility at a relatively young age. One thing that I really like is that all of our managers actually have technical expertise as well; everybody learns the technical background before being given additional responsibilities.

Cons

As the company has grown, there have been a few growing pains that are often related to communication. While word of mouth worked well for a small firm, our size now necessitates more formal communication about the state of the firm and where to get technical and other resources. The company structure has become more formalized over the past few years, which is probably needed to improve information flow and communication.

Keep working on improving communication throughout the company- I think that this has improved over the last year or so, and I know there are people working to improve this even more.

Hazen and Sawyer Photos