Hcsc

Hcsc Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Hcsc President and CEO Pat Hemingway Hall

Pat Hemingway Hall

Pros:
  • "Not too demanding on time and good work life balance"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Stable company with good benefits including 401k plan & pension"
    in 23 reviews
Cons:
  • "Your work life balance depends more on your manager than an organization as a whole"
    in 7 reviews
  • "senior/Middle management decision making is poor"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good services

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hcsc

ProsGood service, fast response, fair price

ConsSlow response, fair price, bad service

A Demoralizing, Stressful, "Sweat-Shop" Mentality Environment with Archaic Technology, and Visionless Management

Marion, IL

I have been working at Hcsc full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat group of intelligent, friendly, co-workers, benefits are good.

ConsHiredand trained for one job, "switched" to different job without asking employees, and two days of thrown together training that is normally an 8 week program - then "thrown to the wolves" to fend for yourself. Cannot take time off unless the "calendar" has hours on it, and if you take unscheduled paid time off, you only get so much before you get written up...so don't have a family emergency! Such a stressful environment, a lot of employees have to take medication to make it through the day.You are definately a number in this organization, which is sad. People that have been here for years do not have to do half the work that the new people coming in have to do...and we were told, "It is easier to to get the new hires to do (fill in the blank)...people that have been here a long time won't do it." WHAT??? (And they make 5 times the money - gee, that makes sense?!)

Advice to Senior ManagementUse your talent...do you even look at the resumes of your current employees?? Many employees are underemployed due to the economy...you have diamonds in the rough just waiting for opportunities that may be a better fit for both them and you. Listen to your employees...we are in the trenches daily and know the breakdowns in...well - everything, from communicaton, training, technology, and most importantly our customers that keep us in business...and,by the way, are less satisfied everyday...believe me - I talk to them.

Upgrade your training classes - Nobody new who asks the question, "where do I find that information?", wants to hear, "oh, it isn't in Blue source or a document, I just know it." OK, that doesn't help me!

Management and Reviews are a complete joke

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hcsc full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood health care, generous time off

ConsManagement and policies that change depending on who you are or which manager you ask, useless company training, useless reviews, no clear career path in three positions I held.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't focus your review on what employee has done in last few weeks before review, they are working all year on projects. Also, if there is a problem at review give the employee a clear plan for resolving it. Managers need to treat all employees the same, do not tell one they need to apply for a promotion and then a few months later promote one without applying for job.

Your average large organization

I have been working at Hcsc

ProsFlexible schedules, diverse technology, challenging

ConsPolitics, red tape and old technology

Good place to work

I have been working at Hcsc full-time for less than a year

ProsFriendly co-workers and management. Very flexible when you need to change your schedule.

ConsTechnologically behind in many ways. Trying to get answers when problems arise show the cracks in their structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out where the bucks stops rather than playing it safe by committee.

Lack of Proper Management Leads to a Major Disappointment!

Business Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Hcsc full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompensation is pretty good, even though the cost of medical insurance for the employees is steadily rising. Amenities in a Chicago location are impressive and include health club and cafeteria.

ConsIncompetent, often non-existent management leading to a dismal lack of caring mentoring, and professional growth opportunities. There is lack of vision from the management as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look who is managing the resources. You will find too many cases when completely incompetent people occupy the spots. The have no people or management skills, avoid their subordinates, do not understand the function of the their area and, therefore, are not capable of providing leadership and vision. Bottom line: the situation is a shame and something needs to be done to change it.

Same life as public accounting but worse treatment...

Internal Auditor (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hcsc full-time

ProsSalary, benefits, gym, cafeteria, and the staff level employees.

ConsManagement. They have been in the positions for so long with no turnover that they are unwilling to change to modern/younger ways of managing. It is their dictatorship way or dont even plan on receiving a raise/bonus. Environment is old school with staff miserable/high turnover. Even HR Reviews have seen the problems but do not act.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time for some upper level managment turnover in Audit in order to see some effective results and a more cooperative environment.

Treadmill

Business IT (Former Employee)
Richardson, TX

I worked at Hcsc full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNew building is nice and it has been more productive to bring business and IT into the same space. Co-workers are generally very nice and supportive, but I think this mostly stems from the misery loves company theory.

ConsAs stated by others, employee reviews are an absolute joke. Management will tell you that they are not allowed to reflect your true rating if it is good (now if it is bad that is entirely different). The goal is to make all reviews as equal as possible due to how raises and even promotions are done. There is a tremendous amount of nepotism that occurs within this organization and it shocks me that indivduals get away with it. You can go from being a "star" player for 5 straight years to being one minute from a box and walk out the door based on who your mangement is and because this can change on a whim, you are at the mercy of varied attitudes and personalities that teh employee has to adjust to, not management.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide a medium for true and accurate 180 degreee reviews between employee and management. Provide better management training to supervisors and above.

Good Company however lack of career advancement potential can cause a brain drain

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hcsc full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat Vacation Time and comp time for salaried employees
Great 401k and Pension Benefits
Somewhat Decent Pay- But Lower than public traded companies
Good Training
Great work life balance
Good Bonus Structure

ConsHealth Care Insurance Premiums are higher than my previous jobs: Kind of a oxymoron
No clear path of how you can advance your career
Consultants brought in some projects are to "green" to be managing full-time employees
Health care Insurance Reforms causes a lot changes in requirements on projects

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement looks out for their own career paths
Some the smart ambitious talent will leave if you do not implement a rotation program
Promote from within if the talent you have does not see that you believe that can perform at higher levels and spread their wings they will not and they will become comfortable collecting a check.

Wash, rinse, repeat

I have been working at Hcsc full-time for more than a year

ProsAny pro I had previously come up with was quickly eradicated from my thought process as soon as I started working there. Oh wait, I take that back - Starbucks.

ConsU.S.A. sweat shop for employees/contractors. In my tenure there I've witnessed the following:
* 3 highly effective contractors get walked out because of the political rhetoric from the business leads.
* contractors get the boot or "talked to" because they asked for trivial time off for family reasons.
* three full time Managers quit, one without even having another job to transition to. That speaks volumes.
* blame game / finger pointing played at it's best. And guess what, it's never their fault.
* absolutely zero mentoring
* ruling by intimidation - nebulous emails where absolutely no determination can be deduced if there's a real issue at hand or your the next casualty of the blame game.
* intimidation tactics to the team and I quote "If I'm taken down because this project fails I will be taking others with me, I won't go alone". And this my friends was from an officer of the company.
* definitely, unequivocally a who you know environment

Advice to Senior ManagementBuy a clue - develop a clue - but get a clue.....
Ruling by intimidation belongs back in the mid-evil era... oh wait.. that's the era your in. Come to the now's... where happy employees are productive employees.
Eradicate the dead weight - get new blood in - be creative, innovative and the most talented people will seek you out.
Eliminate the process for process sake.
Put politics aside and create a dependency on the expertise of the people you brought in for the job.
Be a leader not a survivor in your industry.
I've had BCBS forever --- not so much anymore.

Worked for Hcsc? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hcsc reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hcsc CEO Pat Hemingway Hall. All 157 reviews posted anonymously by Hcsc employees.