Hcsc Reviews

Updated October 13, 2014
2.9

Hcsc President and CEO Pat Hemingway Hall
Pat Hemingway Hall

Pros
  • The work-life balance depends on the manager but in most cases employees have options to work from home (in 26 reviews)

• Stable company with good benefits including 401k plan & pension (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance was not given a high enough priority but could be limited to my group (in 9 reviews)

• Too many middle management contributing minimal values to get the company move forward (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Traditional organization working to adapt to the new healthcare environment

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hcsc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great hours, good benefits, generally nice colleagues

Cons

Political organization, outdated technology, slow to change, low levels of planning and collaboration

Focus on building collaboration and raising the bar in planning and execution

Satisfying experience as a contractor

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hcsc as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Very good place to be exposed to different facets of a Health care payer. 5th largest insurer in the country. Financially strong company. Compensation is good for contractors, not sure about FT employees. Chicago HQ is in prime location with great amenities. Fairly generous travel policy.

Cons

Communication could be better; Lot of silos; Can staff up and staff down in a hurry based on needs. A lot of layers of bureaucracy as you would expect in a company as large as HCSC. Expect to spend a lot of time in meetings. Don't necessarily use cutting edge technologies or processes. Work/Life balance was not given a high enough priority but could be limited to my group.

Compensation for DT employees could be better.

Many talented people

I have been working at Hcsc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's an industry leader and it has many talented people who are dedicated to health care as a career. Diversity and integrity are stated as key corporate values, and I feel that the company lives up to this. Great location in Chicago.

Cons

Longer term outlook is cloudy due to healthcare reform. Margins are being squeezed and cost containment will continue to be a priority. Information sharing between departments could be better.

Management

Former Employee - IT Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hcsc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work-life balance depends on the manager but in most cases employees have options to work from home.

Cons

An absolutely staggering amount of contract workers which are viewed as an "outsiders" by the rest of the company. The "authoritative" management group located in TX, not Chicago. Very frequent internal restructuring and moving people from department to department with changing management structure.

Dinosaur company - over promote unqualified managers

Former Employee - Senior Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hcsc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good location and benefits. Not a lot of overtime work expected with mostly commuters so they are 9-5ers. Brand recognition.

Cons

Most managers have been there for 20+ years so they have been over promoted. They do not keep up with current trends unless they are forced to. They move very slowly in most aspects of business.

application developer

Former Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hcsc full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

less pressure, good vacation, good bonus

Cons

much politics, slow reaction, outdated technology

focus on business

HCSC

I have been working at Hcsc full-time

Pros

Location, Growth Potential and Benefits

Cons

Dynamic organization - Fast Pace

Analyst

I have been working at Hcsc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good company to work for. The benefits are good.

Cons

Traning would be good for employees.

Marshall Texas Claims Examiner

Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Marshall, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Marshall, TX

I have been working at Hcsc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

PTO, holiday, health benefits. I am fortunate enough to work on a good team, they are helpful when you need it, probably because the majority of us all started at the same time. Our supervisor is so/so, she appear to be fair most of the time but I have also witness her and other mgmt. bad side

Cons

Pay can be better (especially for someone w/a degree)
    Work from home is available to only a select few, I feel if the opened the floor to more work at home for claims examiners some aspects of the job would run a lot smoother, they don't listen and take employee concerns seriously, there is no motivation. At this location they will have contest between teams and the prize will be something like candy to share or the claims supervisors will cook lunch for you. What happen to prizes like gift cards and such, I know when that is the reward, I don't try as hard because I could care less about eating somebody else cooking because they may not have even washed their hand.
    Management is super dumb
    They want you to dress in your Sunday best when site visitors come to try to show off when any other day is casual dress. I feel if everyday is casual dress, no need to front and act like dress attire is a daily thing.
    There is no growth or promotion opportunity and everyone is not on one accord. It is inconsistent with management and training. With this industry there a law changes, group changes etc and I don't feel when these changes occur they do not prepare claims examiners but they wait till the last minute to communicate those changes and I feel that is because they (mgmt./supervisors..) don't know that they are doing.
    In role of a claims examiner, they tend to attempt to "cross train" you and add some aspect of other departments jobs to your and they will require you to do even more work without a raise in pay. At this location in the role of claims examiner, your pay will start at about $10.50/hr when it should be about $12.00/hr for starting pay

TREAT EMPLOYEES RIGHT
    Be open minded
    Reconsider the pay scale
    Offer monthly or quarterly bonuses to help encourage employee morale instead of one yearly bonus
    for the Marshall FSU: stop offering a catered lunch prepared by the supervisors and consider a visa giftcard or something of that nature

Change is just around the corner

Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hcsc full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some good people, great perks like workout center, downtown location and nice offices. Seduces you in staying because you keeping thinking things will change. Go in thinking that you can have an impact because the culture is changing, leave frustrated because you realize that things don't really change.

Cons

Consensus culture where irrational and childish behavior is not only tolerated, but encouraged. HR is ineffective and does not help managers or employees.

Outsource IT, HR. Hire your next CIO from the outside, you really need to gut the whole area. Completely inefficient, outdated, sluggish and out of touch with the business.