www.nhsa.org

Updated October 29, 2014
Updated October 29, 2014
3.8

Ron Herndon

Have to have patience for constant change

Former Employee - Family Service Worker in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Family Service Worker in Chicago, IL

I worked at Head Start full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Seeing the children and building relationships

Cons

All the paperwork and working some weekends and over time after shift with no pay

Work smart

Good PTO, good salary for teachers

Former Employee - Pre-K Teacher
    Former Employee - Pre-K Teacher

I worked at Head Start full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Summers off and snow days

Cons

a lot of student assessments and bureocracy.

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher Aide in Prescott Valley, AZ
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher Aide in Prescott Valley, AZ

I worked at Head Start as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Being able to help children to succeed.

Cons

Low teacher to student ratio, not enough one on one time with children in the classroom

Good work environment and lots of outstanding trains for their employees.

Current Employee - Home Visitor in Redding, CA
    Current Employee - Home Visitor in Redding, CA

I have been working at Head Start full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent training for case management work and training a and certificates in various areas.

Cons

Low pay. micromanaged. Very little opportunity to move up and grow with in agency. Too big a devise between directors and hands on workers.

Incentives for growth within company. Employers don't like feeling so replaceable.

Great place to work if you like working for minimum wage and never being promoted.

I worked at Head Start full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Time off. When public schools are out, Head Start is most generally off too. They are very family oriented, and understand that family comes first.

Cons

Pay is terrible, and they encourage parents to use the system.

Keep up the attitude that family comes first before work. Give current employees the opportunity for advancement.

An amazing experience working with children and families.

I have been working at Head Start

Pros

The best thing about working for Head Start is making a difference in a child's life, and help them through their developmental milestones.

Cons

I feel that compensation is a con for teachers and other education staff. It would be nice to see a pay increase.

Consider pay salary increase based off employees performance and evaluations.

too many chief and not enough indians

Former Employee - Teacher, Cook, Whatever Needed to BE Done That Day in Spring City, TN

I worked at Head Start full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

kids and parents are great for the most part. they go along with the county school schedule.

Cons

Co-workers are not always the best partners in the classroom to work with. You must really be careful who you think are telling you that are helping you.

Take the time to visit the centers and get to know their employees, and not rely on other office staff to come back and report things they saw without knowing the full story.

Garland Early Head Start is a very pleasant and positive place to work. Children are loved and well taken care of.

I have been working at Head Start (less than an year)

Pros

Wonderful Director and coworkers. Parents also seem grateful for the Head Start program and work hard at being great parents to their children.

Cons

None that come to mind.

Its a dysfunctional place to work.

I have been working at Head Start

Pros

Working with kids on a daily basis.

Cons

Administrators not doing their jobs properly.

Learn how to do your job and respect your employees

Ok

Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in Rutland, VT
    Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in Rutland, VT

I have been working at Head Start full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Typically the staff is nice and friendly to get along with. This is my second head start that I have worked at, and the second is a much better experience.
    The pay is amazing, typically in this field we are stuck around 9 - 10 an hour, but this head start pays exceeding well and has the entire time.
    You are provided two 15 minute breaks for most positions, which is nice. It's the only preschool position that I have ever held and had breaks.
    The relationships with the children and some parents.

Cons

Sadly, I have a lot of cons. Things seem to get looked over or purposefully "forgotten".
    Supplies for classrooms is one of the biggest problems, I can't speak on if this is a nationwide issue or not, but here it is. You are on your own for most supplies.
    Management tends to be highly unsupportive in a "positive" way to make it seem like they care but then not actually doing anything to help or getting back to you.
    Management tends to be easy to approach, but their willingness to follow through when assistance is needed is not there.
    Gossip and back stabbing from staff are pretty common here. There are a lot of upstanding ladies here, but there are a few that will go out of their way to hurt your job and your reputation.
    Management seems to take this gossip and lies to heart, and hold it against the person that the rumors or lies are being told, without giving the other person a chance to defend.
    Management seems to put people who don't care about their job and who treat other people like complete crap on a pedestal and treat them as if they can do no wrong, while the people whom are being treated like crap have to suffer without management support or lose their job.
    This is not a safe place to tell someone if your supervisor is rude to you or treats you unfairly. It will get swept under the rug and told to your supervisor immediately. You will not like the consequences of that action.
    There have been lots of staff changes in the past 5-6 years that I have worked here. Most of the staff has left because they are tired of being treated like garbage by management, other staff and some parents.
    You are often expected to stay later then your scheduled time, but you are not allowed to put it on your time sheet. I often find myself doing lots of work on the weekends and evenings just to stay current with my classroom needs.

Don't take everything at face value - when an employee tells you bad things about an employee she supervisors, check with other people to make sure that is the same experience before you destroy their confidence in their job. You might find that that supervisor is the only one who thinks that because they hate this employee.
    Staff need extra support in the classroom, a third person each afternoon and every friday morning. We have tough kids, and will always have tough kids, support is needed.
    Spend the money and hire someone to do the classroom cleaning. It is not fair to the kids that we have to stop interacting with them to do the cleaning. They shouldn't suffer, they need that time.
    Don't make staff use leave pool if you close for the day for a winter storm. You want to make staff feel validated and important? Don't make us choose between our safety and a vacation day. If you close, we shouldn't be expected to come in. We should be given the opportunity to log in and do work on servue or teaching strategies and do work from home, and log up to 4 hours (of provable) time on our time sheet for that day, and take the rest as no pay or "holiday" pay.
    Give staff a choice for the lay off, some of us don't want to be laid off for 7 weeks.
    When someone asks you for help with something, help them. Don't write it down and then forget it. We shouldn't have to wait 2+ months to replace broken items.