Headsets.com

Mike Faith

Great Opportunity

Current Employee - Customer Love in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Love in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Headsets.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The CEO is one of the nicest people you will ever meet.

Cons

Lots of managing involved. You can lose your personality easily.

Outside of CEO, sometimes management are closed off to feedback.

Great Environment

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Headsets.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great perks and benefits, culture, personal growth, company values, staff input. If had record sales the whole staff was rewarded. Friendly culture, they hire the right people. Lots of freedom to help out customers

Cons

Some shifts are really hours. It gets busy as it is a fast paced environment at times.

A place to learn and grow

I worked at Headsets.com full-time

Pros

* Fast-paced work environment
    * Customers are always first priority
    * The best performers have flexibility to move into management or other roles
    * Learning is encouraged
    * Anyone has access to the CEO
    * Great office space
    * High standards of work expected at all times

Cons

* Company isn't growing as fast as it used to

misogynistic and demanding

I worked at Headsets.com full-time

Pros

lots of chances for bonus structure, a seemingly liberal and open-minded company.

Cons

Absolutely rigorous and ridiculous demands by managers, a terrible place to work with any expectation of moving up within the company, despite what they tell you at the training. The CEO is a misogynistic, controlling, hyper micro-managing man with very unusual techniques in his style of leadership. He is unpredictable and doesn't care about his employees as individuals. Made very clear to employees that if they are to sue, even within reason, they will lose, as the company has enough financial backing to beat any individual to the ground.

Stop hitting on your female employees and begin creating a safe space for your employees, without forcing them to get together en masse and discuss the terrible managerial techniques. Realize your employees do not feel safe there and do not lie to your incoming employees.

Great company for self-motivate performers

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Headsets.com

Pros

The work environment in fun & high-energy. With that come a high-degree of accountability. Competent, driven employees have opportunities to move up quickly if you're flexible with the area you're willing to work in. Lot's of exposure to how the business is run with a look a the books available to anyone that has an interest.

Cons

Base pay is competitive but medical benefits tend to be expensive with high co-pays and limited in what they cover. Retirement matching is at a generally low percentage and vacation time is on the low side. As with many small companies there are few opportunities to grow within your career vertical. Everyone needs to be comfortable wearing a lot of hats.

Keep doing what your doing. The company has done well thus far under difficult conditions.

Amateur Hour

I worked at Headsets.com

Pros

Good Location
    Fun Coworkers
    Game nights
    Decent Medical
    Interesting Customers
    You get to leave early

Cons

Poor Management
    Unprofessional conduct of managers
    Management likes to skate in the "gray areas" of ethics and the legal system as long as they can make a buck!
    Weird head games/amateur psychology practiced by management

You've been in business for over 10 years, it's time to grow up.
    Rather than head games, be honest with your employees. Stop trying to manipulate folks!

Great building, poor company, apply elsewhere.

Former Employee - Customer Service in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Headsets.com

Pros

Awesome location
    Intelligent, funny, witty peers
    Ease of job
    Abundance of public transportation
    Pizza (once every Friday, now once a month)

Cons

Poor management skills
    Inexperienced management
    Upper management allows lower management to clamour for control
    Lower management scarily inefficient and exhibits emotional and immature leadership styles
    Lower management allowed to display unprofessional behavior
    Upper management takes the biggest piece of pie, while benefits are taken away from front line employees
    No room for promotion
    No opportunity for raises
    Job responsibility grows and grows while pay is reduced
    Upper and lower management use fear tactics to produce results

Give back to the employees. Take a good look at your management. Realize that your managers are not helping things happen....take a chance and see what could happen with different managers in place.

Friendly Company culture and Growth Opportunities Make Headsets.com a Great Company to Call "Home"

Current Employee - Customer Service in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Headsets.com

Pros

If you are the person that always works the hardest for little or no recognition or thanks..you'd be happy here at Headsets.com. We think of feedback as a gift and every day is a holiday here. You'll always have a great idea of what is expected of you and you'll be given the tools, materials and training needed to excel. You'll always know how well you are doing, because we have detailed standards that we measure, like Customer Service ratings. That's probably the most important of all. We love our Customers and our Customers come back to us to be treated well.

If you are Customer-focused you'll be very happy here -- you'll be given the chance to do what you do best every day and your opinions will be listened to. Mike actually pays us $10 for every idea we email to him -- and he picks the best idea every two weeks to win $500.

If you are the employee that shows up 5 minutes early to start up your computer and get your coffee, while others around you show up 5 minutes late to spend 10 more minutes waiting for a new pot to brew..you'd be happy here at Headsets.com. We value punctuality and I can't remember the last time I saw someone rushing in because they were even a minute late.

We have free bagels and organic fruit delivered daily to our kitchen, and Peet's coffee on tap. After 3 years of working here, we get a one month sabbatical. We are also paid two days per year to volunteer for a non-profit organization of our choice.

We focus on hiring the right people and nurturing them while they grow, so there is plenty of room for advancement here if you'd like to move up. We believe that providing excellent Customer Service for our Customers is a talent and so you can be happy and well-respected as a member of Customer Service for as long as you like. We've all worked here for over a year now - some people have been here for years in Customer Service and they are very happy with their position. You hear your coworkers complimenting each other on a constant basis. You hear people thanking each other for feedback. You are constantly reminded that you are valued and valuable. People here really care about each other and we help each other out all the time. It's an excellent home away from home.

Cons

We put so much emphasis on Customer Service and growth that you can't really have off-days here. There's no room. We don't spend all day surfing the web, waiting for work to do. Pretty much every minute of our day is committed to helping the organization in some aspect. There's no place for slackers here. We are dedicated to being responsible here, so if you'd like to hang out and receive paychecks while checking out youtube and having distracted conversations with Customers, this isn't the place. The culture of positivity, growth, and accountability can seem intimidating when first arriving at Headsets.com, however; it doesn't take much time to buy into it. You see how well others are treated around you and you want to be part of it, so you buy in.

Mike Faith and the other members of senior management created a company culture that fosters growth in employees' work and personal lives. We are allotted a yearly training bonus of $2500 that we can use to improve our skill set. We are encouraged to improve in all areas of our life and Mike lives by this rule as well. I would say that Mike is a very visible CEO and he's willing to help out when needed. He's even picked up the phone and assisted a Customer on a few occasions. We appreciate that Mike is like a mentor to many of us and that he focuses so much attention on creating the kind of environment we all love to work in.

More than I had expected, in a positive way

I have been working at Headsets.com

Pros

High standards, great communication, clear expectations, bright teammates, good location, management is willing to try new things, super high level of respect for customers, lots of feedback, fast paced, they try to blend a little fun with productivity, thorough hiring and training practices, nice benefits.

Cons

Not a ton of career advancement opportunity over past couple of years (2007 - 2011). Not the sexiest industry. The bright people that get hired often will burn out on customer service after a couple of years. If you dont perform well, you wont enjoy it, with the high standards and frequent feedback. You may have to move desks and schedules from time to time. Young managers sometimes learn on the job.