Headwaters MB

4.6

Phil Seefried

Great people

Current Employee - Vice President in Denver, CO

I have been working at Headwaters MB full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a sharp team. Headwaters is a unique player in middle market investment banking

Cons

none that come to mind

Wonderful atmosphere and supportive infastructure

Current Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at Headwaters MB part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Challenging work, but very supportive upper management that wants everyone to succeed
    -If you're willing to work hard, you can have a somewhat flexible schedule
    -Office environment very conducive to being productive, and yet fun at times
    -Competitive Salary for entry level work

Cons

-Stress and pressure can be significant when a deal is closing or needs immediate attention.
    -Pitching can be hard work, but rewarding when it yields new business.

Formalize training program for junior staff, even if it is just a general overview of company procedures. Given the significant growth in recent years, this component could become a key part of enabling successful employees.

Great culture

I have been working at Headwaters MB full-time

Pros

All around great employer. The workplace environment is very fun and light, there are no office politics, and you get full exposure to the CEO, COO and managing directors on a daily basis.

Cons

The only negative is that there are several national offices which can make communication and working together on deals difficult. However, there are many ways to overcome this.

Great environment with talent that continuously impresses me. Great potential.

Current Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at Headwaters MB full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I would disagree with a previous comment - incredible visibility into management decision making.
    Very respectful of individual needs.
    Incredible culture.
    Management strives to support vertical team members.
    Incredibly dedicated, supportive and kind CEO who gives his life the the company.

Cons

Very collaborative environment yet some MDs are hesitant to fully utilize and take advantage of all their resources.

Cut my teeth and learned how to work really hard with a team

Former Employee - Principal in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Principal in Denver, CO

I worked at Headwaters MB full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very smart people with a relaxed structure

Cons

Limited visibility into management objectives

I have the ability to work independently and yet have the resources of a national team when I need it.

Current Employee - Vice President in Denver, CO

I have been working at Headwaters MB part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly environment with a lot of positive attitudes. Senior management is transparent and shoots straight with you. A lot of help when asked for yet not a lot of babysitting. Gives our team everything we need to succeed.

Cons

Parking is sometimes a challenge downtown.

A group of successful, focused, competitive professionals who are willing to help like-minded individuals.

Current Employee - Managing Director in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Managing Director in Denver, CO

I have been working at Headwaters MB full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A professional, hard working environment with lots of opportunity to learn and grow from some of the best in the investment banking industry. No politics or egos. The best idea(s) win. A client-centric firm of industry-focused bankers. Above average compensation and fee sharing for bankers who know how to recruit clients and close transactions.

Cons

Generalist bankers, egomaniacs and non-team players will be asked to leave (there has been some turn-over). A place to learn and grow. Not a place to punch a clock.

I appreciate the business model and prefer recruiting clients and closing transactions. Thanks for taking care of the back office and treating me like an adult. The national platform allows me to recruit and close larger transactions compared to a boutique.

Best environment I have ever worked in. Period.

I have been working at Headwaters MB full-time

Pros

Entrepreneurial environment, full of hyper intelligent people. Excellent transparency and grown up conversation about the company philosophy. Perfect place for accomplished MD's to succeed and junior bankers to get noticed.

Cons

Must be a self starter. Not a place for a 9-5 guy. Everyone wears many hats and juggles 10 projects at once, which some people may find tough to manage.

The model works.

Hard charging entrepreneurial environment. Tons of responsibility really fast. Great people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Headwaters MB full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Headwaters has built a great corporate culture - very client centric and service oriented. Senior bankers are entrepreneurial dealmakers and bullpen staff are smart and ambitious. Management has outlined the strategy clearly and kept me challenged and growing in my career. Headwaters is a middle market shop on the ascent.

Cons

Investment banking isn't for the faint of heart. The hours are long, even grueling at times. Travel is often frequent and unpredictable for senior bankers. Compensation is subject to market forces resulting in uneven compensation.

Keep on keepin' on.

Denver Investment Bank Seeks Confident Managing Directors

Current Employee - Managing Director
    Current Employee - Managing Director

I have been working at Headwaters MB

Pros

Opportunity to lead a team, self selecting culture, large sense of independence. Great opportunity to define coverage arena and actively seek the best transaction opportunities without havign to compete too much with other MDs.

Cons

Lack of vision for the firm's future and poor execution by founding members. Must bring your own resources and junior staff to the firm. The business is becoming decentralized and that could actually be viewed as a positive. Lots of turnover; could also be seen as a sign of the times, but its more likely a reflection on Managemen't inability to retain / screen / motivate / compensate quality talent.

N/A