Heald College

Be The First To
Add Photos

Heald College President Eeva Deshon

Eeva Deshon

Pros:
  • "Faculty and Staff are passionate about the students"
    in 4 reviews
  • "The company had good benefits although taking vacation time was frowned upon"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is little to no work/life balance"
    in 4 reviews
  • "The salary is low compaired to a standard IT technicians salary"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Management needs to get it together..

ProsYou meet people here that will change your life, both coworkers and students coming in. Some people are extremely genuine.

ConsPay is not worth the workload you get. To top that off there is no employee appreciation. Example- People will go up in position without having earned a college degree or even earning that position, all due to politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementCertain individuals need to be let go. Getting payed a six figure salary only to be on their phone or on ebay doing some shopping all day makes my hard work and my pay seem like a joke. Sarcastic attitude, not being open to others opinion and lack of support offered to your team only makes employees that have been GREAT assest to this company leave.
    Management needs to take notice that some instructors, admissions and academics coworkers are too overqualified to be working there and will soon be gone if management does not get it together.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

This place is a dark hole

Admissions Advisor (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsThe only thing that was positive was meeting new people every day, and also obviously once the day was over.

Consterrible training, if you don't improve you get a condescending email saying that they don't understand why you don't get it. There's "blackout" week almost every week so good luck requesting days off. You work 6 days a week, and work late on Friday. There is absolutely no room to move up or progress within the company, unless you want to become a Director, but there's nothing good about that position either. It makes you hate your job and your life. You're always afraid of losing your job. There is an extremely high turnover rate. There is nothing fun about working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou hired the wrong people for management. The directors should all be fired. You need to revamp the whole team and company.

Career Services Representative

Career Services Advisor (Former Employee)
    Fresno, CA

ProsYou truly do help individuals try an obtain a career in their field of choice. They also had good benefits.

ConsYou are held to sales "numbers" meaning you have to get people employed in their field or you will be let go. You do not get to choose the students you work with so you may get some students that aren't looking for work but they still count against your sales numbers. You have to work some nights and weekends. The work atmosphere is full of gossip, even people higher up talk about other co -workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would hold Managers more accountable to the culture they create in their department. I would also pay high producing performers more.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Many Changes

Financial Services (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsHeald has some very good people working there. You can learn a lot and get some good experience.

ConsSince they were bought out by Corinthian Colleges there have been lay offs every year. Enrollment is also declining which leads to lay offs. Not a very stable employment at this time.

Sucks

ProsGood days are pretty rare

ConsEveryother day mostly sucks. Fair warning.

Could have been so much better...

Dean of Business Programs (Former Employee)
    Salinas, CA

ProsI worked with some good, dedicated people. Some instructors were great. Many of the students tried hard, and sincerely wanted to get an education.

ConsToo much in the way of politics. Having to call students at home who don't come to school. Upper management only cares about money, not students. They sell getting a degree in eighteen months, at MUCH more cost than attending a community college and attending just six months longer. Constant turnover in staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementHeald is going down the tubes. If you don't make the school a good value for the money students won't show up.

The ship is sinking!

ProsHelping those who want to be helped and seeing them graduate. Proud moments.

ConsWorking weekend admissions is sales with no compensation to be the best

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourself. Our campus president is only here about 25-30 hours a week and he is the highest paid person in the building. Most managers looking for support have to email him because they are use to him not being in the office.

Terrible experience

Admissions Advisor (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsIf you enjoy talking to people over the phone all day long, or meeting new people face to face then this is a great job. I really felt like I made a difference in some students lives.

Cons-MAJOR micromanaging
    -Directors will get mad if you clock in 3 minutes late (they'll write you up)
    -Directors will listen in to your phone calls to make sure that you're "following the script" while speaking to students
    -no fun energy
    -management picks favorites
    -you can't trust anyone
    -other employees are nice and helpful at first, but then they forget about
    -no sense of a family bond in the office
    -office feels and looks like a dungeon
    -working Saturdays at least twice (or more) a month.

Advice to Senior ManagementSTOP micromanaging your employees--that's why everyone quits.

Low pay but pleasant

Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee)
    Hayward, CA

ProsI have some of the best coworkers around. I've only had one run in, and any issues we had were squashed within a few months. My bosses are amazing--there is no micromanaging here, and as long as I do my job, there's no problem. And after the beginning of the semester (as well as after finals), I have plenty of time to take care of things outside of work.

ConsI make roughly $13K a year, mainly because my schedule is so varied. As an instructor, it can change every 11 weeks, which makes it hard to plan anything long term.If I teach less than four classes, I can't pay bills--four is barely enough as it is. I've been lucky so far in that I usually don't end up with less than that, but there has been at least one time that I had none. That was a very, VERY rough quarter. I also have no health care because I'm on contract.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe students are important, but so are we. Could we get some permanent positions around here?

Would be good with support from on high.

Systems Support Analyst (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat people, relaxed environment. Worked at the now defunct Central Administration Office, permanent employees had work from home opportunities.

ConsManager I was under seemed to be phoning it in. Seemed to be a "not my task" kind of culture. If something didn't directly help the bottom line, it wasn't likely to be done.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time listening to your employee's needs.

Worked for Heald College? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Heald College reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Heald College CEO Eeva Deshon. All 68 reviews posted anonymously by Heald College employees.