Heald College

Be The First To
Add Photos

Heald College President Eeva Deshon

Eeva Deshon

Pros:
  • "Faculty and Staff are passionate about the students"
    in 4 reviews
  • "The company had good benefits although taking vacation time was frowned upon"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is little to no work/life balance"
    in 4 reviews
  • "The salary is low compaired to a standard IT technicians salary"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Work-Life Ratio

Career Services Advisor (Current Employee)

ProsThe other employees are great to work with. The culture in the building is unlike any other place I have worked and both the faculty, staff and students contribute to this great atmosphere. The location is also a plus and very easy to get to.

ConsOne of the biggest cons is hearing the negativity in the media. The opportunities that Heald provides to individuals looking to change their lives is superior to many other trade shcools. It is a battle answering questions from students or outside employers about the edia coverage, but I am confident in reassuring people that Heald is amazing.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think our campus president makes a huge impact in the management of the campus. The only issue I see is a divide between staff and faculty and a slight lack of communication.

Good For Me!

LLRC Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsColleagues, Benefits, Time Off, Students

ConsMonotony, Promotion, Pay, Teamwork, Students

Advice to Senior ManagementCross Training

Dialing till your fingers bleed

Portland, OR

ProsSalary is very competitive
    Health Insurance begins immediately at hire
    Instructors are good and coursework sound
    College is accredited - i.e. you can transfer credits to another State University

ConsFew of those gaining admission are actually educationally qualified to pass the course offered - high drop out rate

Tuition is nearly 1/2 time MORE than a standard University or College and with the high drop rate - many of these folks - economically disadvantaged to begin with - find themselves saddled with debt that can not be discharged.by "mirrored online sites with devious information capture

The Admissions office is a "churn'em and burn'em" model - you are dialing off lists of phone numbers secured mostly ...lots of hang up and you need to dial 200 people per hour.

If you do not convert someone off the old lead list(s) - you will not be given any "walk-ins' - or your name to receive a "walk-in will be so far down the list - you may get called to interview someone one time per day. If you don't "meet your quota" three times in a row - you are fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementRethink your business model - you have some very talented people that need more than one appointment to convert a lead.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intense, Intense, Intense

Salinas, CA

ProsBenefits were excellent and great co-workers. The faculty truly cared about the students and wanted all to succeed and that was quite refreshing.

ConsPoor work life/balance and hated being told to work a Saturday (on Thursday) because we were behind run-rate. Unfair at times how walk-ins were handled, too.

Advice to Senior ManagementThings were changing in the Private Education sector during 2011 which needed to be reflected in decision making and hope they have been over these last years.

Not Surprised By The Latest News

San Francisco, CA

ProsIf all you want to do is work, work, work and no desire for outside life then Heald is your place

ConsLet's see where I can start: No work life balance, too many unqualified people in key positions, outdated sales tactics, etc.........

Advice to Senior ManagementPray that someone buys the schools and changes the culture.

So So

Career Services (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsStuent Focus Culture (at the beginning)

ConsToo much Upper Management Change since Acquisition

All About the $$$

Admissions Advisor (Current Employee)
    Stockton, CA

ProsOverall culture at the campus is positive, company benefits were good, some of the staff genuinely care about students' success.

ConsTerrible work life balance, corporate feeds employees propaganda that they're "all about the student," when really all they want is money in their pocket, many highly paid management members can't write even a paragraph to save their lives, money-hungry corporate drives every last drop of energy that they can from Admissions until they are miserable, and veil this ill-treatment under the excuse of "the students," but it is ALL money.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet different jobs because at a certain point you're barely a step above a car salesman. Give employees a rest day here and there, they need it. And actually start making it about the students as you preach.

Toxic Environment

Fresno, CA

ProsCo-workers are fun, great people

ConsManagement is terrible and disengaged

Advice to Senior ManagementGet involved in a positive way ... Way too much negativity

Disappointing

Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee)
    Salinas, CA

ProsThe instructors are motivated and encouraging. They really want to see the students succeed.

ConsManagement frequently does not have the experience to support the teachers. There is a contraction between what management says is the priority and how they reward and support those that are trying to achieve that goal.

My experience working with Heald College was very exciting, interesting, and most of all, working as a team.

Financial Aid Receptionist (Former Employee)
    Fresno, CA

ProsThe best reason to work at Heald is that, first of all, you have to have a high GPA, excellent attendance, well like, well known, and well respected. Not every student can work for Heald College, you have to earn it. It was as honor for me to work there and be a student at the same time. They recognize you as a student first so that you can attend to you studies. I would recommend it to any student that takes their schooling seriously.

ConsThe challenges working for Heald College is that you have to maintain your high GPA and excellent attendance record. You must maintain these in order to keep your employment with Heald College.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is really no advancement work for the college, because once your graduate, you are done; but, what an experience to work with the college facility. You can use them as a reference in the future and make some good contacts just by knowing the facility. They will even recognize you with Leadership Awards if doing an excellent job. I personally have three, and I am a member of the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society as well. I was Vice-President of the Honor Society for my last year of college.

Worked for Heald College? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Heald College reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Heald College CEO Eeva Deshon. All 68 reviews posted anonymously by Heald College employees.